“Ohhhh My Motherrrrr”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“Ohhhh My Motherrrrr”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our trip to this resort was amazing. We had SO MUCH FUN. The VIP Beach was beautiful and the service there was excellent. All of the staff were awesome and so nice to us. Our favorites were the entertainment staff including: Tairis John Cena Johnny Bravo Lenny Kravitz Michael Jordan Puchi Puchi Caramello Choco Choco and Sexy Blaqui. All of these people MADE our trip. They were so fun to hang out with and we woke up every morning looking forward to seeing them. I will never forget this place and I was extremely sad to leave today.

Amy Heward

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I came here on vacation with a friend. In this instance, we were looking for a quick and cheap trip to find some sun. We did. And we are very happy for it.

But, we wouldn’t stay here if we were you.

1. Clocks don’t work because the power goes out once a day
2. And the water too – though, the water sometimes goes out twice a day
3. Food. Not. Good. We ordered the fish from “The Moonlight” restaurant and found a piece a beef stuck in there strangely. The dessert was impenetrable with even the sharpest of knives. Everything seemed processed and bleh. The food was really very awful.
4. Drinks are no better. If you do decide to stay here, we recommend you stock up at duty free and make your own (they do allow for that)
5. There are two treadmills in the gym. One with an “out of order” sign. The other, dangerous. Speeds fluctuate after minute 7. BUT, if you run at an incline of 5 and speed of 6, you can be a little less careful
6. The most conveniently located ATM machine is out of order
7. The one further away works, but expect the amount stated on your receipt to be within an estimated +/- 120% margin of error
8. On the other hand, there is no need to bother with the ATM or money exchange because nobody takes pesos… unless you force them too
9. The catamaran excursion was FUN! But someone pooed in the water while we were all snorkeling. Not the resorts fault, but still. Who does that?
10. Rooms are what they are (stiff mattress, thin walls, cardboard sheets) which was fine if you aren't a sensitive sleeper. Only, our patio door lock was busted. We tried a variety of combinations to rig the sliding door shut and prevent someone from opening it: Two coat hangers. A coat hanger + a seat cushion. The leg of a chair + a tray. The only thing that works sufficiently is carefully positioning the ironing board at an angle. But while we were out having fun, the cleaning lady removed the ironing board from our room entirely, and that was the end of that.
11. And oh, the toilet whistles

6 Thank Christina Z
Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotel room was nothing to brag about. Open the door it had a musky odor. The maid service was very inconsistent. One day 1 towel next day 3 towels. Took 5 days to get a wash cloth. The safe and the hair dryer was broken. I informed the front desk and they did nothing about repairs or the maid service. My room was next to the service area which woke me daily @ 4 am with the loud staff and the wheels of the cart hitting the uneven sidewalk.The saving grace of my vacation was the service staff @ the dinning facillities and the entertainment staff. The VIP bar was excellent . A big thank you to Danny Boy and Elizabeth. The pool staff were absolutely the funnest. Thanks Pochi for being a "silly boy".The water arobic instructors did a great job.The Sunday night show is the best I have seen. The ground keepers do an excellent job. The resort is very pretty. The only top shelf bar was at the VIP. the other bars were so so. Food was what I expected for an all inclusive- it was good. Reservations were limited.

Room Tip: Ask for Building 5 or 6 if you want rest.
1 Thank Connie K
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel from Feb. 23-Mar. 02, 2013.
We've both travelled to many different places and are both very easily pleased travellers. This is the first review I give over a hotel I've visited. Please be informed and read throughout.

We were very excited as this was for both of us, our first trip to Domenican Republic.
Little did we know, we were shortly disappointed by a few things..BUT.. the things we liked are worth sharing:
- Food at the buffet is AMAZING. Although, the service at the table is very poor.
- The animation team is awesome. Very entrertaining!
- Despite the golden sand, the beach is very nice. The scenery of the mountains and surrounding is breathtaking.
- Despite the poor customer service at front desk, the staff is very friendly!
- The weather was great.The best I've seen so far; 39-43C everyday. No clouds, no rain.. Pure sun!

What made our stay less enjoyable is mainly the clear disctinction between the VIP guests and the "Normal" guests. The VIP members get all the attention. The staff are willing to flip backwards and beyond for them. They get the nice rooms (which is understandable) and priority over everything. Now, I understand that they get what they pay for and vice-versa, however, it's sad to notice and we, regular guests, have a hard time getting some attention.
They have their own beaches and pools, to which the access is forbidden to regular guests, but yet they take all our chairs at the pool and the beach. This came to me as a big disappointment. I mean, if they have their own little piece of paradise, why must they take the only little portion of the resort that we're aloud to? That being said, the rest of our somewhat "nightmare" results of that.

When we booked our trip, we were granted 4 "restaurant à la carte". When we got there, the hotel had already reserved 2 of them for us; Indochine and Johnny's international. When we went to the reception to reserve the other 2, we were told that VIP members had priority and we'd be put on a waiting list (which we never got to us). We were a bit frustrated over that, but still pretty satisfied with the buffet.
When we fist got to our room, we noticed that they was not magnetic band key.. Only a regular lock key. Whatever, we didn't mind.
We also noticed that our bathroom "window" consisted of glass strips..holding together with Tie-Wraps.. Leaving our room as a playground for mosquitoes. We asked for repair, but never got the service. As we're not fancy picky people, we simply left the bathroom door closed. But then, the following happened to our room (which was 4209, by the way):
- No hot water or pressure in the shower
- No clean towels
- Constant bathroom flood because the drain wouldn't handle the water in the shower
- Our bedroom was not made once during our stay (unless we complained)
- Our floor never got washed
- Our pillows were very unconfortable. The wadding was all in a lump.
- Our AC stopped working in mid-week and never got repaired (people.. realize that nights can be as warm as 35C)
- Our ceiling fan did not work
- The electricity went out about 8 times a day
- Our fridge got filled with beer (not twist-caps), and had no bottle-opener and weren't able to obtain one.
- We got our patio door repaired three times and they cracked it. Never even changed it (major hazard for families traveling with kids)

You also get harassed by staff trying to sell Timeshares. BEWARE!! They're everywhere and very very insistent. They'll suckup a big three hours of your time!

Unfortunately for us, since we don't usually like to complain, we were only informed on our 5th day that we could've complained to our service provider representative on site and she would've gotten us into a newer/renovated room. The rooms with King size beds are the renovated ones. Should you decide to book and don't mind sharing a bed, it's worth it.

Would I go back? Sure! But at least, with lower expectactions! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a King size bed. Higher floors are best.
2 Thank Marc C
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Lifestyle Tropical Resort was very nice. Everyone was very nice and the staff was helpful. I want to acknowledge John Cena, Lenny Kravitz, and Johnny Bravo with their fun entertainment and funny sense of humor. Also, there was a server at Serenity Beach--Felix? Fredy?--who was extremely attentative to my friends and I. Buffet food was ok. Restaurant food was good. My favorite restaurant was The Blue Lagoon for dinner only. Jazz restaurant was also great. I ordered a seafood pasta dish that was just way too fishy and the staff was happy to replace it with something else. One thing that dissappointed me was that we are required to make reservations to certain restaurants and were instructed to choose a primary and secondary (if our primary was booked); however, when we received our confirmed reservations, we were not able to to get reservations to ANY of the restaurants we chose and had to settle for whatever 'leftover' restaurants they chose for us.

1 Thank OliviaY_13
managementteam55, Manager at The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear guest,
First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort and Spa for your vacation also we really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a great vacation at our Resort.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
The Management
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently visited this resort and were repeatedly disappointed. We were subjected to a sales pitch to purchase a timeshare with this company, then berated when we turned the offer down. We were then treated like second class citizens for the remainder of our visit. We had inconsistent electricity and water in our room, and told that if we had purchased the time share and were "VIP" guests we would not have these struggles. While being promised Wifi, this seemed to always be "down for the moment" again while our VIP counterparts having no such problems. The resort offered a variety of restaurants and buffets which were at best only mildly edible and at times terrible. And if our vacation wasn't negatively affected enough, we were constantly badgered by staff to purchase excursion packages after we had already declined. I will say the weather beautiful and the drinks were plenty, the beach is dirty and minimal.
Travel cautiously when booking with this company, it definitely wasn't worth the "deal" we thought we were getting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Litlreed
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I (she's 25 and I am 30) just returned back from 6 days at the Lifestyle Tropical and like all that have read the reviews, we feared the worse. I have to appreciate that we had set our expectations low because this resort exceeded to our delight.

To be honest, we got a great deal on groupon and for the price it couldn't have been better. The day before our scheduled arrival I called the hotel to confirm our reservation, while on the call I asked for a room with a great view. Let me tell you, they delivered. Room 5312 is a corner room on the 3rd floor overlooking the adult pool with palm trees and the beach directly behind. From the bed, you wake up in paradise every morning.

As you have probably read, the food is average at best. I have heard this is common in the Caribbean so if you travel for food, you will not be pleased. BUT, if you enjoy great weather (85-87 degrees), good people, bottomless drinks, relaxing in the sunshine and a clean room then this is your place.

A couple pointers:
-This would have been a much different experience if we didn't have access to VIP beach (spent every day here). Wake up early and claim a cabana, you won't regret it. You don't have to move the entire time, drinks and food are brought to you all day.
-Don't miss the welcome party on Sunday, great entertainment and the best food you will eat all week.
-As this is a "membership club" they will force you to listen to a membership sale pitch. Give them 20 minutes and get your free bottles of mamajuana and let them know you rarely have the opportunity to travel in full week (7 day) increments then have them point you to VIP beach.
-The moment you get to the resort you will be approached by several people trying to sell you a membership, excursions, cigars, etc. This country is based on tourism so politely decline and keep on walking
-You will have two dinners scheduled at "VIP" restaurants. We ate at Johnny's and it was garbage. Also, don't be fooled when they say long pants are required. You are good in shorts and a collar. I went back to the room to put pants on (it was like a 15 minute walk one way) and sat next to someone in cargo shorts, needles to say I was furious and sweating my [--] off.
-If you want something while you are there, just ask. Their motto is "I work for YOU".
-Freestyle catamaran was awesome, i highly recommend it. Full day of drinks, food, snorkeling and sunshine. Met some good people and got some great pics.
-The resort seemed to consist of couples and groups of single girls. If you are traveling with a group of guys, bring a little game and you should be good to go.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank William S
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comment; it was fun for us to read your detail explanation about your experience with us, here at Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort and Spa.
You really took the best of our destination to enjoy your holidays.

We are glad you and your girlfriend had a good time and we hope to see you in our property again in the future.

The Management