I traveled with a group of 8 friends to the Tropical for 7 days. We purchased from Groupon for $875 per couple.
ROOM was nice. Our reservations were not kept for rooms in building 5 or 6 (away from lobby/food/main pool) after 2 confirmations and we ended up in building 1, closest to all of it. It ended up not being a big deal though. I had no major issues with room. I slept well, and the maid service was good. We did hear of water/drainage/power issues from multiple other people.
SERVICE was hit or miss. Some were wonderful, and some downright made me feel uncomfortable. My group are all avid tippers. We choose to tip (I'm an ex-waitress) because we like to. Tip or not, some workers never cracked a smile or just ignored you. Many others were very hard workers, friendly, and a pleasure to talk to. It was 50/50 for me. If you like to tip, bring change. I took $200 in singles and smaller bills for tips and small purchases. I guess it is difficult to get change so bring it!!!
FOOD. This was my biggest complaint. I was stomach sick by the 4th day, my friend on the 3rd, another by the end. A few of us were fine. Don't know what it was, but I was eating dry footloops,chips from the shop and bananas by the last few days. I couldn't manage any wonderful frozen drinks or Presendente beers the last 3 days of my trip. I was afraid to put anything in my stomach at that point. I felt ok as long as I kept to very simple items. I love to try new food so this was huge disappointment.
EXCURSIONS were amazing. We went to Ocean World and the waterfall jumps/hike. Both were well worth every dollar and were the highlights of my trip. Ocean World was a great day. We choose the Sea Lion encounter which is a once in a life-time experience. Loved it. The waterfalls were a total blast, adrenaline rush. Major fun, but it is a physical day as well. Series of many falls, big jumps, and deep pools of water. Walking up the forest, through the rivers and falls. It was my favorite day.
BEACH was pretty great. The Tropical is in a nice cove area, nice to walk on day and night. The water was great, smooth sand in most areas, nice waves, and good swimming. I'm quite sad I'm not there right now. We strolled it every night. It was great and I felt safe. There was not a whole lot there as far as shells and snorkeling, the waves were good for playing, knee boards and I even saw some surfing. Some venders were repetive and it did get annoying at times but most of them were still very friendly and accepted a no.
GROUPON and VIP: I did not know that the Groupon deal included limited VIP access. Really all that means is that we could go to one of the VIP beaches (Harmony Beach)which is a nice area on the property/beach with cabana beds, cooling pools, 2 bars, and waiters. Over all it was a really great area, and the drinks were by far much better. There was a Groupon representative there who gave us a short rundown on what we had access too, and that was it. We met him in the lobby and he answered a lot of our questions and he was very helpful.
We were not happy with a pushy time-share stalker who we basically had to be rude to so he would leave us alone. He actually moved our drinks from our table to one closer by the enterance where he could wait and watch us finish our lunch after we arrived. We knew we did not want any part of it even with whatever upgrades it may have given us, but that was ignored. It was rude and not necessary.
We went to one entertainment show. We left after 15 minutes. It was terrible.
The pools looked nice but we spent our days on the beach. I was suprised by the vendors allowed by the pool on the property. If they would leave you alone as you pass by instead of always approaching you to come their way...i had to pass them between my room and beach. It became know as the Gauntlet among our group.
I mostly enjoyed my stay, made the best of it and had fun, but I would not come here for a beautiful, romantic honeymoon. Big let down on the food, and the few rude staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the sprawling Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, The Tropical offers a classic hotel vacation experience set within quaint, two- and threestory, Mediterranean-style buildings. The mood is laid-back and distinctively Caribbean. Guest enjoy all resort facilities and amenities (excluding the V.I.P areas) including swimming pools, a choice of excellent restaurants, exercise rooms, tennis courts, windsurfing and so much more. The Lifestyle Tropical is Ideal for couples seeking a private island hide-away with all the advantages of a world-class resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon, TravelUp, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort And Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort Spa
- Hacienda Tropical
- Hotel Lifestyle Tropical Beach