“Not What I Had Hoped”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“Not What I Had Hoped”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

For an all inclusive resort, I was a little disappointed, we had to ask more than once for towels, and for soap. If we slept in on any given day you could actually miss breakfast, to me that's not all inclusive. You couldn't drink the water so having bottled water on hand was very important and that always didn't happen. Cosmetically the resort was very nice, the food was hit and miss, I would not eat the seafood. Often the food was cold when you did get it at the various restaurants around the property. I was happy not to have my 14 year old son this trip as he would have been very bored....the best part about the whole resort was the entertainment staff..P DIDDY (whistle boy!!), JOHN CENA, JOHNNY BRAVO, LENNY KRAVITZ, CHACCA CHACCA, these guys worked so hard at making a fun environment and they worked so hard day in and day out to make people smile, especially enjoyed going to the coleseum nightly and watching the shows. Would love to take that group on any vacation I was heading to. Would I go back to this particular resort, no I wouldn't, we made it what we could as we were already there and overall I enjoyed the weather as it was at least 32 degrees daily except for maybe two days out of the whole time we were there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We just returned from Puerta Plata, Dominican Republic were we stayed at the Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort and Spa. This was my first time being to Puerto Plata (been to Punta Cana 3 times) and it does have a feel of it's own.

PP does have a lot more of a city/town nearby than PC, PC is more of resorts and beaches were PP actually has a city to it as well as a few beaches and resorts.

Lifestyle TBRS is a big place and we were greated by friendly staff and were quickly signed in and lead to our rooms. We were staying in the Royal Suites and the rooms were great, large, clean, king bed was comfortable, kitchen was nice and we had a living room and balcony looking over our pool. We had lots of hot water (took a minute or two to get there but was hot when showering) and the plumbing worked great. The fridge was stocked with the basics, two of each water, soft drinks and beer. A few of the rooms did experience tiny ants around if you left anything out, perhaps bring a little pest control spray (pest problems like that can be common in some resorts, we have had ants before specially if you are on the groud floor units).

The pool bar at our building was not open and that was disappointing as we had quite a hike to get drinks. Some from our group of 5 couples complained about that and they requested more drinks be provided for our fridges, and after a couple of days they did follow through and provided us as much drinks as we wanted (well done, thank you). Once we had a stock of our own drinks we often sat at our pool deck bar and used it ourselves, it worked fine, even had our own tunes.

Our maid was great, did a wonderful job and was always friendly.

The resort was huge and there was a shuttle that ran around between sections although it was slow coming and often filled quickly when it arrived as it was only minivans. If you are VIP there was more options like golf carts or the larger VIP service mini buses. Once we got to know our way around we often walked from section to section, seemed about a quarter of the distance walking as driving seemed to go way around everything. Tropical Beach to Cofresi was like a 5-8 minute walk. Note, taxi's can drop you off close to your building, they don't have to drop you at the lobby if you ask to go to your builidng area.

The pools were nice, clean and plentyful. They are not heated so it is a little slow getting in sometimes but is also a welcome relief when its real hot out.

The activities were fun at the main pool locations if you chose to do them.

Maintenance was ongoing as I saw gardeners and painters going steady. Tile work could be done here and there and little things in the rooms etc. but things are livable. Our A/C worked at the start buit then when there was a power outage it didn't come back on. We didn't report it though as the ceiling fans made things ok. Some of our group experienced things like no A/C, lights that didn't seem to work, patio doors that were not working well, long time getting hot water and sewer smells in their bathroom (top floor unit, smelt like plumbing vented nearby).

Buffet areas were busy in general but we were always able to find seating even for ou group of 10. The food was ok but did lack variety day-to-day. Restaurants were pretty good but nothing special, we didn't find that "wow" factor with food. The lobster we tried a few times was awful (pasty almost). Bacon at the buffet was always an issue as it was either out completely or only contained half cooked bacon. Omelettes were good but make sure if you get a larger one or put lots of stuff in it that it gets cooked all the way through, ask for it well done. Soups we had were good, desserts were lacking.

Pool deck chairs were abundant in most cases and we never had problems getting any mid morning even. The VIP beach beds were more demand, go fairly early and you can get one. There were many areas with wi-fi but it was spotty reception (all in the way you hold your mouth) :).

The sports bar was nice and it kinda has wi-fi, oh and popcorn which was more reliable. the menu here was fun also.

There are staff that would like to take you to a buy-in seminar/tour of the facility if you wish, can take about 2 hours if you go and it is interesting to at least know what can be available to you if you should choose to.

Excursions staff are always available, the watersport shop at the beach upper area can help you with water sport outings, I went on a morning snorkle trip to Sosua and although the travel was a little trying the snorkling was ok. the beaches in Sosua are nice and the town is higher class with lots of shops and restaurants. They were saying there are lots of North Americans living there. In the excursions office near the sports bar Jeanneth and "Valentino" and the young woman that works with them (sorry forget her name) were awsome and helped us plan special Valentine's Day things for our wives. Well done and I highly recommend these people, so nice and helpful.

I had no problem with the light brown sand beaches themselves but the underwater floor was awful, step out into drops which is normal, then small rocks followed by larger rocks and weeds and grass and whatever else. I was affraid I was going to step on an Urchin or something so I just swam back in and called that quits, stuck to the pools from there for this resort.

I have probably missed some stuff, (oh, some bars do have premium drinks but you have to ask) but I am going to cut this review off as it's getting long.

Kevin

Room Tip: There are many rooms for many size options and multiple room units.
5 Thank Kevin M
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

having access to two differents hotels its like two different vacation. great welcome party,great staff.great food,very cute room. we were surprise of the quality of that hotel for that price.i refer that place for everyone

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank michelr007
Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We purchased this trip as a groupon for $525 for five nights for two people. For about $50 bucks per day, all inclusive, what can you really expect? We were supposed to have a room booked at the Crown Residence (it even said it on our reservation confirmation email. Due to the storm we had to move the dates, and were not informed that we had gotten booted to the Tropical until we tried to check into the Crown Residence and they treated us like we both had two heads. We got to our room at the Tropical and the toilet was leaking...everywhere! They promptly replaced the toilet and cleaned up the mess (big thank you!). While the room was just a room and not anything special, it was always cleaned spotless by the cleaning crew. (Though our room could have used new pillows, it literally felt like softball size lumps of cotton were just stuffed in there). The resort was clean and we had access to almost everywhere. Don't expect much from the food. It is really hard to make a reservation, especially if you go on excursions that leave before 9 in the morning. The buffet is subpar, but luckily they have plenty of options so you can fund something suitable (theres always fruit and salad to fall back on). We went to El Pilon and the chinese restaurant while we were there. The chinese food was terrible (I know we aren't in China, but I expected a little better). The hubby said the chicken was delicious at El Pilon. My dish was vegetarian and I did not even find the beans and rice all that appealing. We only got bugged about the VIP/Timeshares once and if you make if very clear they will not bother you. Would I book here again? I honestly would probably giving another resort a try.

This experienced equestrian wants to give a big shout out to TREASURE COVE RANCH. I have ridden many places outside of the US. Miguel and his crew were great. The horses were fat and happy. The ranch was spotless. There was one guide for every three people on the ride. They got off twice during the ride to check our girths and tack. They had actual riding helmets available that were up to date (manufactured within the past five years, which is the norm for keeping helmets here in the states...I have ridden several places where they offer the plastic shells like the ones they have when you ziplines...big bonus points for treasure cove to be up to date on their equipment). They allowed the more experienced riders to do a controlled lope at several points. This was one of the safest and well run rides I have been on.

1 Thank freemindd
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had a faboulous time from Feb 9-16 with cousins from the USA at the Tropical Resort. John Cena and Lenny Craviz from the entertainment staff, kept us busy with a different activity theme each day around the pool, and made sure we were always having a good time! We stayed in building 5 and the rooms there were nice. The bed made for a very comfortable sleep every single night. Many tv channels were fuzzy, but who cares, we were not there to watch tv!!!! The staff were very curtious and helpfull. We forgot our camera at the Casablanca dinning room, loaded with hundreds of trip pictures, and we only noticed it missing hours later... when we approached guest services for lost and found, it had been turned in by the dinner staff... wow, what a releif! There were all types of foods to select from at our favorite eating place, Casablanca, and the food was very well prepared. I will return to this resort in the future.
Tony - Kingston, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Tony G
Hanover, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This resort was beautiful, peaceful and serene! There are different levels that you can be and I went as a VIP and WOW!!!! The rooms were clean, maybe a bit small but I didn't spend much time in the room. The resort was spotless no matter where you went. The food was good, nothing spectacular but good. The beaches and service...Incredible! Fresh towels on your lounge bed, gorgeous palm trees, hammocks and cabanas, drinks brought right to you as well as a small menu of food that can be delivered. Also, the one beach offers crepes....delicious! Made to order right there at the beach. Would love, love, love to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amy E
Brandon, Vermont
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I returned from staying one week (2/6-2/13) in building 2 at the Tropical. We weren't sure what to expect, but we're surprised at the beauty and size of this resort. I would rate the resort and facilities as high. I would rate the food as subpar, especially at the Casalanca buffet. Breakfast was usually terrible and if you hit at 9ish, we found many of the food stations empty. We ate at 3 specialty restaurants(Moomtaz, Elpilon and Billini). I have never had Indian food before, but found the Moomtaz as the better of the three. The other two were not that good. I am not a food snob, but I found the quality of the food products to not be what I am used to back home. I know, it's not the US. The bars were not too bad and there are many throughout the resort. However, if you order the Cuba Libre, don't expect the lime every time, it's hit or miss. This was consistent at every bar, whether at the VIP beach or any bar. The drinks were decent and seemingly mixed well. The room was just OK, nothing fancy. Ours had two queen beds, with cheaply made backboards and of the platform style. One bed was very soft and the other very hard. We slept in the hard. The first day, the fridge was stocked with two Presidente beers, three bottled waters and two bottles of soda. We left a $5 tip under the two empty beer bottles and got two more the next day. However we didn't get any towels and the ones we used were gone. We called the front desk and someone brought us two towels within 10 minutes. We had to beg for wash clothes several times and after the second day, we didn't get any water or beers replaced in the fridge. The room service was not good, but we always try to make the best of it. We have talked about returning, but haven't decided yet and might want to try another resort. I should qualify my comments somewhat by pointing out that this was the first all-inclusive, but we have been on many cruises. All in all, we loved the resort, but felt the food and room service was lacking. We didn't pay much, so I suppose that you get what you pay for. We booked through Cheap Carribean, but warning- unless you read the reviews on this web site, you will not be warned that there are time share sales pitches when you arrive. The salesman can be very aggressive and are waiting for you as soon as you check in. The worst day at this resort is better than any day back in the northeast during winter.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple