“Beautiful resort for the price!”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
New York
“Beautiful resort for the price!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon because we found an excellent deal on Groupon. I will be honest-I wasn't expecting much. But I was extremely pleasantly surprised! The resort is beautiful, extremely well maintained with (mostly) very friendly and helpful staff. (The ones that weren't still did their jobs-just not AS friendly as others).

Our room (junior suite) was quite sufficient-it was clean, the a/c worked extremely well, it was spacious enough and met our needs entirely. It was nothing super fancy, but no complaints whatsoever. (And I left my purse in the room every single day with no problems, so very honest housekeepers!)

I would give the food 4 stars-I would say all of the meals we had were 'very good'. Make sure you make reservations in advance for the restaurants! The 2 international buffets-Casablanca and The Pearl are completely mediocre-not terrible, but not excellent either. We tried not to eat there very often. But the restaurants were very good and we enjoyed them immensely.

The beaches were beautiful and pools were beautiful. I loved that the beaches had wi-fi, that was a HUGE bonus for us!

The drinks were EXCELLENT. If the drinks weren't strong enough (which happened about half the time) I just ordered a shot of rum on the side and that did the trick.

Overall, I think people have to remember this is an all-inclusive resort that is very reasonable, and we were EXTREMELY satisfied: we had lovely food and drinks surrounded by a beautiful resort and helpful staff and felt very pleased with the excellent package deal that we got.

Room Tip: We liked our room very much, but heard some people say theirs were not quite as nice, but if they br...
2 Thank Georgie4545

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Don't go - there are so many great places in the Dominican for the same price but that offer much better facilities, pools and restaurants. I bought a trip based on price, and you really get what you pay for. Horrible service, food and stray dogs on the beach. Dirty, awful rooms. Don't go!

7 Thank Inger A
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I traveled to the Tropical section of the resort through a Cheap Caribbean deal from February 2-10. I was very AFRAID after the reviews I read prior to coming to the resort. When arriving to the resort after check-in my spouse and I went directly to the lobby bar and had a few drinks to get started off right. After that we were taken to our room in Building 2 (Tropical Section) which was standard but GREAT! We had everything we needed a filled refrigerator, towels, a CLEAN room and bathroom. The room was spacious, had a balcony with sitting area, and other basics. We didnt pay for a safe and we were fine, nothing was ever taken. We spent alot of time throughout our stay at the VIP beach and never had an issue finding a lovely bed before 10am after that obviously it was full. The VIP beach was heavenly, no I did NOT upgrade or by into the timeshare program but we were still treated like royalty. We had access to drinks and food on our beach beds and did not have to chase anyone down to get what we wanted. The cold jacuzzi's on the VIP beach are great when you need to cool down and are a great spot for meeting other travelers and mingling. When my fiance and I checked-in we were provided two reservations one at 9:30 pm and the other at the mexican place at 6:30 pm. We actually missed both reservations but that was fine we mostly ate at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and when we wanted something different we asked the front desk to call us a shuttle to a nice restaurant in another part of the resort. They took us to "Bellini" a pleasant italian place which was delish. We also visited the snack restaurant for some late night eats after clubbing it up where they have burgers, and hotdogs and some other basics and hey it was delicious not sure if that was the alcohol but it worked. My fiance and myself never became sick just a bit backed up from eating so much but it was delcious. For breakfast you definetly should order an omelette your way and fresh smoothie. Lunch was always awesome, and dinner was good too. The bar by the pool and asian restaurant was great, tons of rum, mama juana and other favorites. The pool was lovely for playing volleyball, cooling off, basketball and enjoying the Animation team. The nightly shows were entertaining and impressive. We visited ICE, VIBE, and the nightclub at OceanWorld A(Lighthouse) which were pretty good. Not as packed as we would have liked it but it is what you make it. Lighthouse by far was the best. While we were there we did the dirt buggie excursion, horse ride, a massage on the beach, rented a scooter to tour puerto plata for two hours, and visited the teleferico. This was really an amazing trip and please do not let others sway your choice to visit the resort. We again DID NOT BUY IN to the timeshare and were treated great. If you are a snob, picky, annoying, high maintenance and expect to eat caviar, filet mignon, and to have your own personal concierge you should go elsewhere and pay for it. This is amazing for the price and i'm surprised they do not charge more.

9 Thank Citalina
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The VIP service is outstanding.. Everyone was extremly friendly. The best restaurnant was Azul, although others - Gourmet, Jazz and Rodizio - were good. Quality of food in Casablanca is avarage. Activities abound. I took Spanish lessons. Teacher was Lenny Craviz who is outstanding. Also went on the half-day tour of the town that included cable car to the top of the mountain, visit to the rum factory and the amber museum. All, very informative. Beaches are well kept and wonderfuul places to relax.

3 Thank Anne919
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just got back from a 4 night stay at Tropical. The highlights of the hotel are the eternally energetic entertainment staff and the nice beach amenities (cool cabanas, nice bars, towel service). The entertainment guys were awesome putting on different activities from beach volleyball to drink mixing and arm wrestling contests. Shout outs to John Cena (el mejor profesor de stretching), Caramelo (awesome MC who speaks at least 3 languages), Johnny Bravo, and Choco Choco.

I'd recommend staying at Tropical. We weren't enthralled with the food, but everything else made up for that. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
denver
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Well...you get what you pay for. The whole resort is gross. You can swim with locals and cigarette butts in the one pool on the west side...or visit one of the multiple themed bars where all the themes are the exact same. The bars have a short menu of about 6 drinks and beer. Only one of the bars (the VIP on the beach had a full bar...but ran out of limes for 3 days). Save your money and your time and just go to the RIU right up the road and actually have a good time. This place is one giant scam

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank gsim81
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I am a lifestyle VIP Member and I always enjoy my stay at the resort. This time I decided to plan a last minute vacation and I got stuck with one of the oldest room at The Tropical. If you do it with at least 2 weeks in advance you can get a very nice jr suite ocean view, completely remodeled. Make sure you make dinner reservations for the different restaurants. Casablanca buffet is good just for breakfast. for lunch, you can try the snacks at the vip beach or the italian restaurant, also the buffet from Cofresi Palm is much better than Casablanca. The drinks at the vip beach are top notch and the staff is very pleasant. The animation crew is unbelievable! I went with my 3 year old son, 17 year old daughter and 65 year old mom and we all fell in love with Caramelo, John Cena and P Diddy!
Definitely worth staying at this resort. I recommend it to everyone!

Room Tip: Reserve with at least 3-4 weeks in advance. If you are staying at the Tropical, make sure you stay...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family