I read all the negative stuff before I left which actually prepared me for the worst case scenario. However I had the opposite experience with this resort. I loved my vacation there.
I have been to many resorts in DR and many other countries so I know what I like and what to expect when travelling to poorer countries that being said nothing surprises me.
We had no trouble checking in they were ready for us and we came in from santiago so not on a shuttle. We went to our room and didn't like the location (by the pool too noisy for me) just went back to desk and asked for something else and we're taken to another room immediately and that's the one we took no problem they even helped us bring our luggage and stocked the fridge for us since it was empty.
I like Dominican food a lot so I had no problems with the buffet yes it is a bit repetitive but it was hot and good I'm sure most people could find something to enjoy. You can take a shuttle to the other hotel in the complex the Cofresi Palm and apparently their buffet has more variety because it's bigger. I can't say for myself since I never bothered to do that.
The a la carte restaurants we're good. The only thing I really didn't like about these restaurants was the system for getting a reservation. You go at 9 am and wait inline to be put on a waiting list for one of them and then in the afternoon you find out if you're in or not. That was a little weird since then we never knew if we had reservations or not so we would come back early enough just to find out when we had to get ready. they should have a system like everyone else and give you a reservation right away but I believe they are waiting to see how many VIP'S want to go and they give them priority. Whatever! Anyway afterall was said and done we did get reservations where and when we wanted but I bet that would not e true of high season and it would really frustrate me.
we tried Mexican good food nice atmosphere,Dominican good food but not everyone would like this place,seafood I had filet mignon which was good had to pay extra for lobster why bother since I love lobster but not rock lobster so much and I doubt it's worth the money. we tried the asian one to and it was very tasty and you can get more than one appetizer if you want which I did and they didn't disappoint and this one had a beautiful ambiance to it. there are also a brazilian one and italian and if you are a vip member there are more choices i believe.
The VIP beach which you are allowed to use if you travel with certain companies I believe I really enjoyed. We did have to go a bit erly to get the bed we wanted but there was always beds available. Beds on the beach I loved this concept. Plus this is where the good liquor is the ones with the names so better drinks which are brought to your bed. There is food available so many lunches we just stayed there. Sushi bar on this beach also pretty good sushi too.
I loved also the beach itself but I like waves and it is very wavy unfortunately it is also a bit rocky and seaweedy on your feet if your not in the roped area (water shoes would have solved this problem) I spent many hours in the water anyway so I had fun.
Not too many people trying to sell you stuff on the beach so that was nice there are stores on the beach though because the beaches in DR are public.
The room was nice enough for the amount of time we spent there it was humid but we left the air cond on all the time and it kept it dryer.
Their cleaning staff is so so I speak spanish so I would leave notes if I needed something and sometimes it was granted and sometimes not so I guess you take your chances.
the room was kept clean enough.
I didn't really enjoy the tour you take at the beginning for the villas member thing but you can avoid it by just not going to the appointment but many people upgraded since the deal is pretty good.
Anyway I hope this is helpful don't listen to all the negative stuff and see for yourself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within the sprawling Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort, The Tropical offers a classic hotel vacation experience set within quaint, two- and threestory, Mediterranean-style buildings. The mood is laid-back and distinctively Caribbean. Guest enjoy all resort facilities and amenities (excluding the V.I.P areas) including swimming pools, a choice of excellent restaurants, exercise rooms, tennis courts, windsurfing and so much more. The Lifestyle Tropical is Ideal for couples seeking a private island hide-away with all the advantages of a world-class resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TravelUp, BookIt.com, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Hotel Puerto Plata
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort And Spa
- Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort Spa
- Hacienda Tropical
- Hotel Lifestyle Tropical Beach