“Never Ever Again”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Worst trip ever, what was even worse was it was our honeymoon. Food was disgusting and sat out way to long. None of the food areas are indoors, everything sits out in the heat. This is probably the explaination of how we both got sick by the 3rd day, and still was sick 2 weeks after we finally got home. The all inclusive thing is a joke, bed was basically like sleeping on the floor, your key was attached to a card that turned the electricity on in your room, so when you left the room, the power went off and the room was warm when you came back. Had a safe in the room, but had to pay $20 for the week to rent the key to use the safe. The timeshare people bothered you every day, and never stopped trying to push the VIP club. Overall, this was the worst trip ever, and i have been to the caribbean many times. Please do yourself a favor and never book this place

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tim880

Reviewed March 24, 2008

On the spur of a wintery moment, we booked a much-needed 5 day getaway through Cheapcarribean. Our only requirements were that it be warm, near the sea, and reasonably priced. Solely on the basis of what was available when we were available, we picked all-inclusive Lifestyle Tropical in Puerto Plata. Surprisingly inexpensive, it was less than $700 for the two of us, including air fare from Newark, NJ.

It was only after our trip was confirmed (and our credit card charged) that I thought to check out the reviews. There were so many negative reviews! T & I discussed it and decided "what the heck"... let's set our expectations really low and be prepared to chalk it up to experience.

What followed was one of the best vacation experiences we've ever had.... the resort was lovely, the room clean and spacious, the food very good, and the drinks plentiful. Even the weather cooperated with 5 nearly flawless sunny days.

Not that some of the reviewers' complaints were unmerited: yes, sometimes water sloshed out of the shower stall (no big deal); we couldn't get a reservation at a particular restaurant one night (so we went to one of the others); and the timeshare salesmen were annoying until they recognized that you really were not interested. The biggest laugh we had was taking the first shower: T cranked the shower lever all the way counter-clockwise and got nothing but an ice cold shower :-(((( I was next and shivered through my shower, but as I was slowly turning the water off I thought I detected a little blast of warm water. I played with the shower lever a little bit and figured out that either the temp control was hooked up backwards, or the DR does plumbing differently, because once we started turning the lever CLOCKWISE, we had plenty of hot water!

The best part was meeting and spending time with one of the nicest and loveliest couples we've ever met (you know who you are! We love you J&J!!). We look forward to meeting up with them again and will definitely be returning to the DR and Puerto Plata.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TandPnyc
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Just returned from a great week at this resort. I had expected the worst because of some peoples reviews. Sorry to hear some had these experiences, but then again, some people are definitely harder to please. I've traveled extensively and stayed in 5-star places. This was a very nice resort. Everything was clean and plentiful. We had a really nice 2-bdrm.-2 bath suite. The people were friendly and helpful. The restaurant food was good. The buffet food was hit or miss, some delicious, some not. But what do people expect from any buffet! Relax and enjoy life!

Reviewed March 23, 2008

My wife and I visited the resort on our honeymoon and were pretty happy with the trip. The entertainment staff was great, especially Happy! He certainly earned his name! The service desk was pretty bad, especially with timely delivery of needs. It took 2 days for them to replentish the rooms fridge. And I don't think anyone on the whole resort knew what a wash cloth was...when we asked for extras the gave us hand towels... Oh well, it made for a nice honeymoon that my wife and I will never forget.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2008

First of all I would like to say that anybody flying out to the Dominican Republic from the UK with Thomas Cook Airlines would be better off swimming the Atlantic, as it would be more comfortable!
On arrival at the hotel my expectations were quite low after reading some of the previous reviews but any worries were short lived as this hotel is great for a few days lazing in the sun. Maybe some of the people who have commented so badly on this resort should pay more attention on the transfer from the airport and think their selves lucky to be going on a holiday!
The people on reception were very helpful and the porter was good enough to give us information on the resort while taking our baggage to our room. The rooms are quite basic but adequate and very clean.
There are a choice of restaurants, one buffet which is the main restaurant serving breakfast lunch and dinner and four a la carte all serving a good selection of food at no extra cost. We found several bars around the complex all serving the usual selection of all inclusive drinks. One to visit is the beach bar, the bar tender must be the happiest man alive!
The beach is very clean, and is in two parts. One part is owned by the hotel and is away from the local sellers, and the main beach strip which is picture post card stuff. If you go into the water in front of the VIP section you will avoid all of the rocks further along the beach. The sea was quite rough, but excellent conditions for body boarding.
In previous reports people mentioned being pestered buy sales men around the complex. Again I’m not sure which hotel some people were staying at, we were asked if we were interested in joining the VIP club once, we politely told the sales chap that we were not interested, and were not bothered by anybody again.
We had a great week in the Dominican Republic, and would go back tomorrow.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Hotel Room: Clean room, ocean view like requested. We had a hot shower only on the last evening of our stay. The water was not even luke warm, it was cold! I guess we should count ourselves lucky that it did not flood the room, as some of our friends' experienced. The cleaning staff was nice and friendly, but our fridge was never stocked as our deal said (no soft drinks, no beer, only 3 water bottles the entire week, even after requesting). The toilet broke once but was repaired that evening.

Kids Club: Did not have one for the first 4 days. Good thing we met up with other families and our daughter made friends with a girl her age! When it was open, they played games inside or watched tv.

Beach: Definitely not what we expected. This was the most disappointing aspect! The beach is man made, not very big or long. There are much nicer, cleaner beaches, in the Carribean, even in Puerto Plata.

Pools: Nice, but no bar service, never seen that before in an all-inclusive! Also, towels can not be exchaged mid day. For example if you go on an excursion you can not get a fresh towel for the pool. The guy was actually rude about it!

Service: They love their VIP members! If you're not VIP, like us, well life might be harder!

Food: We enjoyed it, Indochine (a la carte) was excellent and the 3 other a la carte were very good. Buffet restaurant was ok - feeding the mass!

1  Thank PeanutOttawa
Reviewed March 17, 2008

Booked throught GoTravelDirect with a departure from Ottawa. Our airline was ZoomAirlines which I would not fly with again. On our way there, our plane was delayed one full day, NOT because of the weather or a problem with the plane, but because 2 flight attendants did not make it to work that day (one was sick and had to leave) and they could not find replacements until the next day. On our way back, there was a problem with the ventilation and it was very hot in the plane. At least 2 (maybe 3, I think a saw another oxygen tank at the front of the plane) person fainted and had to have oxygen... !

As for the resort, it was an average 4 star resort.

OUR ROOM :
We were in building 3 and our room had been revovated. I found it was a very nice room. The TV had many channels from the USA. If you plan on getting up after 8AM, be sure to put the "do not disturb" sign on the door handle because the maids start to clean the rooms very early.

THE BEACH :
The "beach area" (where the beach bar is) was great because the beach vendors were not allowed there. There were many palm trees to have some shade throught the day. We got up early to get some chairs. One day, when it seamed no chair were available, we saw a men tip some guy working on the resort to find him 2 chairs and he came back a few minutes later with some.

As for the beach itself, there was some big waves. It was fun to "boogie-board" on them. You had to be carefull when you enter the water because there was a "step down". But after that step, the sand was coming up again and it was just like in a wave pool. There were many big rocks at the bottom... my dad when swimming with is "Crocs" shoes and he said they were perfect for that. Me, I found that if I went straight in front of the little booth offering massages on the beach, there were no rocks at all, just soft sand :)

THE POOL :
Had 3 sections : A small one for young children, a medium one (deep), and a big one with pool activities (volleyball, basketball net, dance classes...)

THE RESTAURANTS :
I found the buffet was very good for a 4 star resort. One night there was unlimited seafood (no extra charge). Of course there was some repetitive stuff, but it wasn't the same same each day. They had different soup each day and they were all very good. Nobody from my group (5 person) got sick.

The a-la-carte restarants were hard to get reservations. My dad had to wait an hour each day to make sure he was the first person in line because by the 5th person, all restaurants were booked (it happened on 2 different days) ! It was crazy ! This is because the seats were reseved for people in the VIP section. A lot of people complain, but I didn't mind eating at the buffet.

The Indochine restaurant was very good. They had sushis ! I also went to the Mexican restaurant and it was very good as well. The Chicken burrito was the best.

STAFF :
Most of them were really nice. Especially the barman at the beach bar. Always smiling and happy to make a drink for you. Same for the staff at the buffet. I encounter 4 different person at the front desk and besides this one woman who would ignore you for a minute before adressing you, they were all nice.

What I liked about that resort is that everything was close so you didn't walk too much from you room to the buffet or to the beach.

There wasn't too much to do at night. After the little show (around 10PM), that's pretty much it (besides the disco where you have to pay for you drinks).

2  Thank Gatinoise27