“HOME SWEET HOME”

Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
naperville, il
“HOME SWEET HOME”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I am getting ready to book my trip back to this hotel again. I often read the trip reviews before I go... that's just me and what I like to do... call it catching up on current events. I was so disheartened to read such horrible comments from recent guests. I've been coming to this hotel 2-3 times per year since 2006 - I was just there this past June.
The hotel management and staff take pride in this establishment. The grounds are immaculate and they are constantly cleaning up after the guests. They continue to upgrade and add to the beauty of your surroundings and since I’ve been coming here, the size of this resort has doubled.

Miriam and Gina are in the lobby bar of the Tropical - they've both been there for many years. David, Nicanor and Happy Happy are bartenders at the pool bar. These people have always been extremely courteous, professional, and helpful. They enjoy what they do and take pride in their work. They never forget a face and welcome you back with a smile and open arms – no matter how busy they are.

The animation team - Bon Jovi, Lenny Kravitz, Carmelo, Sexy Blacky, to name a few - are there to engage the patrons - and they do a great job - they make you laugh, encourage you to participate and even if you are a bystander, you cannot help but smile at some of their antics.

There are nightly shows at the Coliseum and a poolside show once a week. The dancers work extremely hard to entertain you. Darinel is an excellent dancer and always a joy to watch... as is Roberto and Sharina. It doesn’t matter if I’ve seen the show before… I look forward to seeing them again and I know these people work their butt off morning until wee hours of the morning again – all for the purpose of making us, the guests, smile, and laugh and to have an all-around great time.

The Sunday Welcome Party is always spectacular and I try to never miss it. The saxophonist can take on Kenny G any time – his music is mesmerizing.

The wait staff at the VIP beaches is always very attentive whether I leave them a tip or not. The atmosphere is luxurious. The beds are clean and you cannot help but to be relaxed in this place!

The housekeeping services are excellent. I’ve never had a problem with the level of service I’ve received. Anything I’ve asked for, I’ve gotten. They do remove the towels when they clean your rooms but they are replaced in the afternoon as soon as they can – freshly cleaned. I have my favorite – Jacinta – she truly goes out of her way to help you and meet your needs.

I’ve never been sickened by the food – ever. I’ve been to all of the specialty restaurants and there is always a good selection of food. I do prefer some restaurants over others, but these are personal preferences and have nothing to do with the quality of the food that is served. I am always able to find a large variety of food at the buffet and have no problem eating there every night.

The massages at the spa are wonderful and priced appropriately. I’ve had them there several times and I’ve always walked away feeling refreshed and relaxed.

Then you have the Lifestyle staff that want to bring you to the presentation… a firm “no” is all that is required. These people are just doing their job – and that is to try to bring you to the presentation.

There is a class structure based on the wristband you wear. Some bands allow you more perks such as access to exclusive VIP areas or top shelf liquor but this is because that person paid a lot more money than most. I have never been treated anything less than ideal by any of the staff because of the color of my bracelet. And I am not a member - usually, I book through Cheap Caribbean like most of you.

Please remember that this is not a 5 star resort and you did not pay for a 5 star resort. However, it is a beautiful resort in a beautiful tropical setting with a staff that is eager to please you if it is within their power to do so. To suggest otherwise, I would question your expectations. There are imperfections all around us and there will sometimes be a wait to check in – or a radio that might not work – or even someone that cannot accommodate all of your desires. But for me, when all is said and done – this place is a home away from home – and that is because of the warmth and the genuine, heart-felt sincerity of the staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank michellenalex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I am surprised by the negative reviews. I have been lucky enough to stay at the resort 5 times since I celebrated my 40th birthday there in 2009. I have never had a problem wth the food making me sick, or by poor service. I return because of the consistent quality and friendliness and prfessionalism of the staff. The barkeeps are super, especially David and HappyHappy, the entertainment fun and enthusiatic! I like the price - I am not a member and always book on one of the low cost websites. I have been approached about the timeshares, however I politely decline and am not bothered again. I return tomorrow for another 6 days. I will post again next week and let you know if there has been a change, either way! =)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank 48Gee
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I Brenda Skinner and my daughter travelled to Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) . This Oct- 2012. While there we meant an array of friends who we still keep in contact. We meant people from all over the world. The trip was truly worth the cost. The Food was fantastic along with the excellent service that was presented to us .I especially enjoyed being waited on Melissa Ventura, who was kind, bubbly, and made sure that we had more than we need to accomadate all of our food need. Thanks Melissa. Ms. La Barbie , Denise Lopez was a gem she was the best hostess, greeter, activity coordinated in the world. She showed us much love and a lot of fun things to do while we were there. There were a lot of people who made the trip superb, but these two ladies really made the trip SPECTACULAR. Thank you both for your time and consideration that you gave to both me and my daughter. Ms Melissa Ventura and La Barbie Denise Lopez.. I give Lifetstyles and the two ladies on a scale from 1-10 a 100- SALUTE.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brenda S
Islip Terrace, NY
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is the second time I am staying at this resort and I had a wonderful time again. Being very close to the beach and pool. Also having all my drinks and food is included is the perfect vacation. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Especially the staff members Dj Yilson, La Barbie, Dariner, Leni Cravid ... they made my vacation a lot of fun....The first time I went with my best friend this time I went with my boyfriend and I had a wonderful time both times. The entertainment staff was very funny and entertaining. They had games and shows that had everybody laughing by the pool and in the disco. They have a disco/ night club for dancing etc. All types of music. It was a great time there dancing and having fun. There were several different pools throughout the resort so there was never a hard time finding a place to swim.... I enjoyed my stay in the rooms. The rooms were very clean and comfortable with A/C. The VIP beaches are very beautiful and Ocean World is close by which is a show of marine animals (dolphins etc.) We also did one of the adventures to Paradise Island, it was beautiful there. All of the staff at this hotel was very friendly and welcoming. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone! A wonderful place to enjoy a nice vacation. The staff at the front desk Juan Luis, Yoscarli and Andy were very nice and very helpful,,,,There are many things to do at this resort and things for everyone to do.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Meghan S
Seekonk, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Had a wonderful vacation at the D R Tropical in Puerta Plata the rooms were great food very good service was most excellent the young people working the entertainment were exceptional
Shows most every night and always something going on with the help they wanted to be helpful and friendly Lenny Cravitz and Johnny Bravo and Wellington / Carmello and Happy Man made every day a different experience then there is the beaches at the resort just a great time and the sunshine can't say enough about the people working there. I have read some of the other reviews sorry but we must have been in a different place our trip was great !
Charlie & Deb

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Charlie L
Jenbach, Tirol, Austria
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Hotel with everything you could need anything - Jacuzzi, pool bar, VIP Beach, very nice, friendly and always cheerful staff - which is also due to the mentality in general ... any time!
i write that the Dj in the vip disco is very professionall ....

Best guys: DJ Yilson Gp

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stefan B
Central Iowa, USA
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have been to this resort twice...not because it is an amazing place, but because it is an amazing deal. That being said, any vacation is going to be what you make of it. This place is definitely not a five star resort, but keep in mind what you paid to stay here...if you want a five star resort, pay the five star prices.
Both times we were there, the lines for check in were long, but we're on vacation just like everyone else there, and just took the opportunity to get to know some of the people waiting with us. There is a bar right in the lobby, so one of us waited in line while the other got some drinks!
The rooms are more than adequate...a comfy bed, clean bathroom and nice little balcony. We did complain about our first room, because the closet doors would not close (this bothered my hubby since he is somewhat of an organizational freak, but i was fine with it) and the security lock on the door was broken. They sent someone immediately to fix both issues, and when they couldn't, they moved us to a different room. Yes, this took some of our precious vacation time, but we just took it in stride...at least they made it right.
The buffet is typical resort buffet food... Not great, but we could always find something to eat, especially at breakfast. The omelet station is highly recommended. Each morning, we would go stand in line to get reservations at an ala carte. There were two choices of restaurants each evening, and two reservation times at each. Really enjoyed the Asian and the seafood restaurants, but they were all good.
Never had an issue with service and found all employees to be friendly. Tipping at the bars definitely improves service.
We thought the beach was great and spent most of our time there. The VIP section is very nice, but to be honest with you, we didn't spend that much time there because we couldn't stand to be around the rude, inconsiderate people that treated the employees like slaves and expected to be treated like royalty. People would begin standing in line early in the morning so that they could get one of the Bali beds and then they would just throw a towel on it and not come back until the afternoon. We just laughed at all of them because we could get a lounger anytime of the day on the beach, and the security people would even drag it to exactly the spot that we wanted. And when we wanted to go for a swim or get a drink or something to eat, the security people would watch our chairs and our stuff for us while we were gone. The entertainment staff is a lot of fun and work hard to get people involved. My husband borrowed a boogie board for an hour, played ping pong by the pool, and we also had a great time playing beach volleyball. They rarely played volleyball at the times posted on the entertainment center, but that was no big deal to us...we just asked for a volleyball, and once we started hitting the ball back and forth, people just showed up and asked to play...it was great fun!
We have been on a number of day trips also, but I would not recommend buying them from the resort because they are more expensive. They will try to discourage you from getting trips elsewhere, and won't even let other companies come into the gates to pick you up, but it's no big deal...just walk to the front gates. There are a couple of companies that offer tours, but I can't remember their names. I found them here on trip advisor. We have done white water rafting, catamaran and snorkeling, jungle buggy tour and a tour that included touring villages and climbing waterfalls. All of the trips were amazing, but I highly recommend the village tour
The first time we were here we sat through the sales pitch for their "time share". It was quite lengthy, but we just said no and were on our way. Found out later from talking to others that the price is never the same for anyone. Don't buy it...it's too cheap to come here when you want and not be tied down to this one resort when you don't. The second time we were here they tried to get us to attend the meeting again, but we just firmly said no and that was it.
All in all, for what we paid to stay here, this place is great, and if we can get the same deal again, we will definitely be back. Don't come here expecting five star treatment when you pay two star prices and you will have an amazing time just like we did.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple