The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Heavens Coral(Puerto Plata)
    • Beachfront
    Very Good 4/5
      ClubHotel Riu Mambo(Puerto Plata)
      Great 4.5/5
        Great 4.5/5
        Hotel Condado(Puerto Plata)
        Sunshine Hotel(Puerto Plata)
        4,981 results
        All reviewsvip beachjulio the rockgeorge of the jungleblue lagoonwelcome partyocean worldsushi barcasa blancasalamicasablanca buffetwater aerobicsdominican republicbeach bedsvip partyserenity beachthese guyshorseback riding
        FilterAll languages
        Reviewed March 18, 2008

Hotel Room: Clean room, ocean view like requested. We had a hot shower only on the last evening of our stay. The water was not even luke warm, it was cold! I guess we should count ourselves lucky that it did not flood the room, as some of our friends' experienced. The cleaning staff was nice and friendly, but our fridge was never stocked as our deal said (no soft drinks, no beer, only 3 water bottles the entire week, even after requesting). The toilet broke once but was repaired that evening.

Kids Club: Did not have one for the first 4 days. Good thing we met up with other families and our daughter made friends with a girl her age! When it was open, they played games inside or watched tv.

Beach: Definitely not what we expected. This was the most disappointing aspect! The beach is man made, not very big or long. There are much nicer, cleaner beaches, in the Carribean, even in Puerto Plata.

Pools: Nice, but no bar service, never seen that before in an all-inclusive! Also, towels can not be exchaged mid day. For example if you go on an excursion you can not get a fresh towel for the pool. The guy was actually rude about it!

Service: They love their VIP members! If you're not VIP, like us, well life might be harder!

Food: We enjoyed it, Indochine (a la carte) was excellent and the 3 other a la carte were very good. Buffet restaurant was ok - feeding the mass!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
        1  Thank PeanutOttawa
        Reviewed March 17, 2008

Booked throught GoTravelDirect with a departure from Ottawa. Our airline was ZoomAirlines which I would not fly with again. On our way there, our plane was delayed one full day, NOT because of the weather or a problem with the plane, but because 2 flight attendants did not make it to work that day (one was sick and had to leave) and they could not find replacements until the next day. On our way back, there was a problem with the ventilation and it was very hot in the plane. At least 2 (maybe 3, I think a saw another oxygen tank at the front of the plane) person fainted and had to have oxygen... !

As for the resort, it was an average 4 star resort.

OUR ROOM :
        We were in building 3 and our room had been revovated. I found it was a very nice room. The TV had many channels from the USA. If you plan on getting up after 8AM, be sure to put the "do not disturb" sign on the door handle because the maids start to clean the rooms very early.

THE BEACH :
        The "beach area" (where the beach bar is) was great because the beach vendors were not allowed there. There were many palm trees to have some shade throught the day. We got up early to get some chairs. One day, when it seamed no chair were available, we saw a men tip some guy working on the resort to find him 2 chairs and he came back a few minutes later with some.

As for the beach itself, there was some big waves. It was fun to "boogie-board" on them. You had to be carefull when you enter the water because there was a "step down". But after that step, the sand was coming up again and it was just like in a wave pool. There were many big rocks at the bottom... my dad when swimming with is "Crocs" shoes and he said they were perfect for that. Me, I found that if I went straight in front of the little booth offering massages on the beach, there were no rocks at all, just soft sand :)

THE POOL :
        Had 3 sections : A small one for young children, a medium one (deep), and a big one with pool activities (volleyball, basketball net, dance classes...)

THE RESTAURANTS :
        I found the buffet was very good for a 4 star resort. One night there was unlimited seafood (no extra charge). Of course there was some repetitive stuff, but it wasn't the same same each day. They had different soup each day and they were all very good. Nobody from my group (5 person) got sick.

The a-la-carte restarants were hard to get reservations. My dad had to wait an hour each day to make sure he was the first person in line because by the 5th person, all restaurants were booked (it happened on 2 different days) ! It was crazy ! This is because the seats were reseved for people in the VIP section. A lot of people complain, but I didn't mind eating at the buffet.

The Indochine restaurant was very good. They had sushis ! I also went to the Mexican restaurant and it was very good as well. The Chicken burrito was the best.

STAFF :
        Most of them were really nice. Especially the barman at the beach bar. Always smiling and happy to make a drink for you. Same for the staff at the buffet. I encounter 4 different person at the front desk and besides this one woman who would ignore you for a minute before adressing you, they were all nice.

What I liked about that resort is that everything was close so you didn't walk too much from you room to the buffet or to the beach.

There wasn't too much to do at night. After the little show (around 10PM), that's pretty much it (besides the disco where you have to pay for you drinks).

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
        2  Thank Gatinoise27
        Reviewed March 15, 2008

For a first time traveler to the Caribbean it will seem like paradise. For a seasoned traveler I would choose another resort.
        Rooms:
        All rooms are not renovated. The Ocean View Rooms are however the rooms in the middle are partially renovated. The building closest to check in is not renovated at all.
        After being asked to move out of building one we were moved to building 5 which was half original half new. Our refrigerator was rusty and rooms in our building did not have hot water for a few days. Our room didn't have it for one night only. They stock your frig with soda, beer and water however I had gave the beer guy a tip to give us more Presidente because the front desk told us it wasn't in our package which was all inclusive.
        Beach:
        Knowing the beach was not white sand with turquoise water when booking the trip I was content with the beach. There were waves and seaweed. I stayed by the pool all week. You need to get up early to reserve your lounge chairs by nine they are all taken. The day of check in we searched for an hour to find two chairs and when we found them they were broken.
        Food:
        The buffet is good for breakfast. I would recommend the Italian restaurant for lunch or the Blue Lagoon. The Italian restaurant has great pizza and pasta.
        The restaurants are the best place to eat. There is not much selection at the buffet.
        Service:
        Service was okay. They did move us when I told them I wanted a renovated room. However they wouldn't give us new water bottles or bottles of beer. You reuse and refill your water bottles at the end of the hallways with a bubbler. After a few days of reusing your bottle you need a new one.
        The sales people who are trying to get you to go to "VIP World" are annoying. I told them I was never going to go with them so they left us alone.
        Like any resort there are restaurants and places on the resort you cannot go. You are not allowed to go into VIP World or use the VIP beach.
        Our travel agent we used reassured us that we could go anywhere but you can't unless you own a time share.
        I think the only people who buy t timeshares to this property have never been anywhere else.

Excursions:
        We booked a snorkeling tour with Aqua Center located in the hotel. They told us it would be a 3 hour tour. It took 5. They brought us out with the scuba divers which we had to wait for. They switch our boat twice. Then when they brought us back we had to wait for the divers to come back in at another resort where we had to buy water.
        Another couple booked a whale watching trip which they were told would be all day and they would be returning around 6. The bus ride was supposed to be 3 hours it was five. That is 10 hours of driving. They did not get home until 10.

Weather:
        The weather was perfect and I got what I went for a tan!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
        Reviewed March 6, 2008

Beautiful resort. Amazing food, excellent a-la-carte restaurants. Only disappointment was the beach, was not white sand, and was not clear blue...but still had beautiful colours of turquoise (I guess I was spoiled with the beaches in Cuba).
        Staff were tremendous, always accomodating and genuinely happy. Never worried about anything being stolen. Felt very safe, even on beach which had public access.
        Make sure you eat at all the restaurants, they are worth the 30 minute wait in line to make reservations.
        Rooms are good, clean and lots of towels etc.
        Plenty of beach, lounge chairs. But still have to go out early in the morning and save the chair, like every resort I have ever been to.
        Hot, hot, hot, humid weather. Loved it.
        Only bothered once by someone trying to sell us a timeshare with the VIP section of the hotel/resort...be clear and say NO...never bugged us again.
        Great good quality jewellry shop on the resort...make sure you bargain, bargain, bargain...I always got down to half price. The larimar and amber are gorgeous. Don't buy jewellry on the beach...cheap imitations.
        Mini-market is outrageously priced...regular chocolate bar is $2. Pringles are $4.
        Internet is useless, takes forever...better to get a calling card.
        Miss this paradise already, the grounds are outstanding, gardens everywhere, absolutely beautiful.
        Front desk staff are a bit daft, but all other staff are outstanding.
        Go-Travel rep., Christian was great.
        Disco was dead almost everynight we visited, we never stayed...also you have to pay for your drinks if you do stay.
        Never saw any dirt or bugs in our room, clean as a whistle.
        One night there was some rowdy noise below us, called the front desk and within 15 minutes security had taken care of it.
        Loved it. loved it, loved it.
        Don't hesitate to contact if you wish more info.
        Ottawa Ontario Canada

Stayed: March 2008
        3  Thank Tropicalove
        Reviewed March 5, 2008

I was afraid I would not like the site after reading the reviews. Well the resort was clean, staff were friendly. The only thing is that they need more umbrellas for shade. Lots of stairs - not very functional for people with wheelchairs or for people that have difficulties with walking.

As for the (a la carte) restaurantswe tried 3 of them and they were good especially the Indochine and Blue Lagoon. The buffet was good for all meals.

The SPA people were really good.

We just ignored the VIP people/section.

I would not qualify this has a 5 stars but a 4 stars.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family