“Great Resort! Ok beach....”

The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
New York City, New York
“Great Resort! Ok beach....”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The resort was great! Great food, entertainment and pools. The down side to this resort are the rooms and the beach. The beach is nice but the water is not that clear. I am a beach person so I wanted a more clearer and warmer water. Overall service was great and so was the entertainment.

1 Thank Marine21_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,015)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Glen Head, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2011

DO NOT stay here. There wouldn't be enough space for me to list all my complaints. I travel regularly and this was by far the worst travel experience of my life. The food is horrible, service is just as bad, no one speaks english, and you are contantly hounded by sales people. The beach is dirty and not easily accessible, the only half way decent thing about it was the rooms. We stayed in the Presidential suites and they were nice but I wouldnt return if you gave it to me for free!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Bklyn70
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My wife and I spent our honeymoon here. The first day everyone was so nice to us and the resort had drinks available every turn we took (which was needed after a day of flying). Day 2 they set us up with a guy to give us a tour of the resort and make our dinner reservations for us in the nicer restaurants. It actually was a sales pitch for us to buy something similar to a time share. We passed on the offer and it seemed after that the resort just turned upside down.
The buffet offered 3 times a day without reservation or black out days (vip only) was the worst MSG filled meals ever. Both of us were sick by day 3. The beach was nasty and the water had bottles floating and sharp rocks under our feet. Any where we walked we were being pressured to buy a piece of junk keep sake or over priced luxury like a massage. Got very annoying to feel like a simple walk through the resort would feel like dealing with a used car salesmen.
Twice the power went out and 1 of those times it was out for almost 6 hrs. No A/C, no toilet or sink water, nothing.... yet somehow that magical buffet was still pumping out food. Shows how good that food is prepared.
One of the last days we were there a couple we met had their watch stolen out of the room. After talking with the front desk and the maid on staff who cleaned the room the watch some how showed back up in a spot they looked over 5 times.
It is a very good price to stay at a resort that is all inclusive. But don't expect much, by the end we wanted to go home early. Spend a little bit more and go no where near this resort. Trust me...

Room Tip: Rooms all are the same.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank coachtylerallen
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I went for 9 days and had a great time.. the resort is very clean and the entertainment staff was very good.. the pool was clean and the rooms were very clean. The only thing i did not like was the fact that there was nothing to do when it rained. They need to have some activities for raining days and also the Bar inside the Vibe disco should be included in the all invclusive.. the club is part of the resort so why do we have to pay for drinks there.. that really sucked.. and i must say the entertianment staff was great especally during the day at the pool.. Caramelo, Scooby,Bon Jovi and Sexy face were very entertaining.. especailly the evening show with the inpresonators that show was great.. the guest serves staff was very nice. and David for the pool bar made some great drinks.. Now i thought it was a shame that they had certain things just for vip Guest. everyone should be able to enjoy all parts of the resort. we did not know that a certain part of the resort where they had the beds could be used by non Vip guest. we found out on our last day there. this area was so nice and look for Hector to serve you drinks.. other then that we had a really nice vacation. and as for the time share sales people just tell then no nicely and after the second day they will not botter you..

Room Tip: if you wast to be close to the main buffet and main pool stay in building 1 - 3. we stood in buildi...
3 Thank Emarrero
Endicott, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We just came back home July 31st from Lifestyles Tropical at Dominica Republic through RCI. It was a great deal for only 20.00/pp/day . For only that ,I'm not going to complain. (EX The drinks were terriable) What happened was above the worst I have ever read in a comment, from a Sales man. We told them from the start that we would not be buying anything. I'm Laided off since january, and my wife got Eye Cancer the day after I was laided off. So She just went back to work the second week in June. Decided that the special RCI was having was too good to pass up for our 25th Wedding anniversary . So Finally with all the bugging, from a rep. That said we would make 20.00 if we went over to sales with him. So finally we did, and then he left us with a sales man. We told him the same stry, and he said he still wants to show us. We did and when we got back and sat down. We told him thanks for the tour but our answer is still the same. Then it went like Wow. Whats your credit card number your going to use. We said were not giving it to you. Then said Your Probably Lieing About Your Job, And Your Wife is Lieing about Her CANCER..... I wanted to hit him, and see a Manager . My Wife is crying , and he's telling the secratry not to get anyone. We left and went to the Other office at the main complex and talked to them. They sent Wine and Cheese, tried to be very nice. Bottom line This Salesman, Should Be FIRED. He totally crossed the line. My wife just wanted to tell some people , and see how many other times these saleman cross the line.

Room Tip: If your going on the 20.00/pp/day special. And you like to have a few cocktails. The drinks were the...
2 Thank awandrews
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I visited this resort in 2009 (CheapCaribbean.com) when we retired from the Army and returned this year (July 7-14, 2011; member accommodations provided) with our three kids. The kids loved it and had a blast, as we, two years ago! As with any vacation there is a possibility of hiccups - just that, hiccups, not vacation stoppers. The people are absolutely the friendliest and the food is phenomenal. We ended up upgrading our membership (Villa with private pool; breakfast cooked for us every morning) and received an exclusive ride to the airport in a limousine- of course the kids ate it up. The membership, well, it's up to you and yes, you can walk away if you don't want what they are selling. You can talk them down and it's up to you what you agree to in the end. The food- we couldn't get enough and the entertainment is top notch. I got to enjoy Michael Jackson, after death. MJ is an original but the performer made sure he emulated Michael to a "T"; he was so good! Hope this helps someone that's on the fence. Go...live life and enjoy yourself.
San Antonio, TX

1 Thank Root-Texas
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed July 31, 2011

this was suppose to be a vac & turned into a nightmare. my mom & a friend booked through a vip member & thought we got an excellent deal. if i could only go back to dec a check trip advisor. 1st off the vip member sold this as a 5 star resort. i wish i could take her to a real 5 star resort hell 3 star is better than this. 1st off everything is tip, tip, tip.... on vac leave me alone. i'm sorry the country is poor, but come on. we stayed in a presidental suite. it was ok very average, but the sofa, chair, & lounge chair were dirty. the housekeeping could have been so much better. they don't clean everyday they tidy up unless you tell them to clean. over all the room would get a 2 out of 5.

the food. nasty, not seasoned well, over salted & no spanish food. they have all the different resturants on the resort there isn't one that spanish. food was so bad i ate mostly bread. the buffett ( casablanca ) is full of flies & birds. only food covered is the hot food. food gets 0 out of 5.

drinks were ok but they had n dr rum. what we got in free liquor was everything you can buy in the usa.... the wine was bitter... 1 out of 5.

don't get sick here! i got soooooooooooooo sick. i was urinating out of my butt. tried the pink stuff finally 3rd day had to go to the medical facility. i was so dehydrated they wouldn't take my insurance card. the so called dr spoke some english & really couldn't understand much of it either. its not clean... ants were on the floor & the bathroom didn't have soap. the dr said $150 for the i.v. no problem gave my card she swiped it she gave e the i.v. & the antibiotics. she then said $850! she revealed she didn't charge my card so my friend cleared my card out of the machine. this resort is all about money! they called all these people in to convince me to pay... then they gave me a discount to $550. We needed an outside line to call the us embassy & they wouldn't they wouldn't give us a line. they finally took my insurance card but wanted a copy of my passport (didn't give them that too much fraud) the day to leave these people kept calling me. they tried to detain me but my rip off hostess said she would take care of it. just stay home nothing like the usa!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends