“Transfered from the VH Victoria”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
sunderland England
“Transfered from the VH Victoria”
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We originally booked the VH Victoria golf an beach resort. What a stupid mistake that was, which is why we ended up at the Bachata, we had beed the previous year and wanted to transfer there. Got a good size room, clean tidy and you also get the safe included, there is no separate charge for this. It is always recommended that you put all money, valuables, passports etc...inside the safe, you do not get charge for the usage so better to be safe than sorry.
The pool area is a nice size there is a pool bar and small area for kids to play in, and the beach was just past the pool area.
The drinks were good and if you didn't see something you liked the bar staff would mix the drinks the way you wanted them, you just had to ask.
Food was good, a good selection of different things as well as the regular fries and salads if your not adventerous in the eating department.
The animation staff I loved, a great bunch of kids. They had a great amount of time for you and we loved to have a chat and a laugh with them. Jonathan I miss the most, what a sweetheart he is, a beautiful boy. There was lots of games to play and the animation team will come around and announce what was coming up and ask you to join in. I am not usually a one for the games but could not resist joining in we had such a giggle. All the winners are called up in the evening to recieve your winners certificate and a small bottle of rum, we had so much of the stuff, we couldn't carry it home so gave it away. We met a great bunch of people too, a few we had chatted to on the flight out. we caught up with them when we transfered to the Bachata. We had just one small thing, it didn't spoil our time at the Bachata but you should really know that on some weekends there is an influx of locals come in, it was a Dominican bank holiday wk end while we were there and the hotel was full, which made it a little manic at meal times, the chaos could be avoided though if you go for your meals ealier rather than later it was a lot less busy, as a rule the dominican guests would eat later rather than early doors.
I would definatley like to go back but next time I will be taking my son with us, Sum of The staff had remembered us and even asked why he didn't come this time (He had already had holiday in school time). All the faces they see day in and day out they still remembered which I thought was brilliant. We had a great time and hope you do to.
A Huge Thanks to all the staff.

1 Thank AHowe70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,037)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Rui Bachata is by no means a 5 star hotel; nor is it up to Rui standards. The hotel was clean, the service was excellent, and the people were great. However the beds, pillows and room standards are anticquated. The mattress and pillows are very thin. The food quality and variety was very poor. Very little selection and they had the same food every single day. The hotel runs week-end specials so on Fridays be prepared for the swarm of local people, especially children. For 3 days the hotel sounds and looks like a day care. Very dissapointed, and I'm a Rui fan.

1 Thank Dinaamaro
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Our stay at the Riu Bachata from from 1/8/11 to 1/16/11
First of all we have never been to a third world island before. The ride from the airport to the resort was an "eye opener" -- such poverty -- people begging everywhere. Once on the resort I vowed not to leave until we went home -- this is exactly what we did. We arrived at about 3pm the normal check in time. Our flight left at 6:30 a.m. with a stop in Newark -- not having had any lunch, when we arrived we asked where we could eat. We were shown where the buffet was but it was all left overs since the lunch is only served from Noon to 3pm -- no where else in the whole place could we find food.

We were shown to our room and did receive the oceanview room that I requested. The room was muggy and the A/C was not cool at all -- there was an internal fan and an overhead fan. The minute you open the slider everything shut down -- no window so you couldn't even get fresh air. There was always a damp musty smell in the room -- not very comfortable.

The liquid refreshments, beer, water and soda was replenished only every other day. No wine was available but there was hard liquor in a cabinet above the refrig.

After the first day, our room was cleaned and when we came back to take a shower we had no towels. I called the front desk and they said they are being washed and that when they were done they would be returned!!!!

No room service at all -- no ice machines -- had to take your ice bucket and go to the restaurant for ice.

Property was immaculate -- every morning the sidewalks and all furniture got washed - one morning there were 2 men washing the roof. Everything was always in its place -- nothing was ever dirty. Outside the restrooms in the buffet building, there was a restroom attendant with a bottle of hand sanitizer if you wished to use it.

There was entertainment -- not very consequential -- near the pool they had people who would try to get you to exercise, dance, etc.

Beautiful beach and plenty of shade trees if you needed this -- plenty of chaise lounges with cushions. Nice place to walk either on the beach or on the sidewalk connecting the other two resorts.

Beer -- only one kind -- wine was non descript - either white, pink or red -- none very strong. Other island drinks were served at the bar.

If you didn't eat in the buffet building there were 2 other restaurants. You had to make a reservation the morning of the night that you wanted to eat there -- you had to do this at the buffet building only from 7a.m. to 10:30 a.m. with no exceptions -- this was the steak house -- food was ok. Other restaurant was the Italiano - no advance notice whatsoever -- even on their website -- you had to wear long pants for capri's or shorts allowed. After we made a reservation we went to the restaurant and when the door opened that was the first time I felt A/C -- we were not allowed in because we were not properly dressed -- very maddening so we went to the buffet room. Had to wear a wristband for food and drink. Don't think I would go again -- too restricted -- did not feel safe outside of the resort. There were some small shops just outside the hotel -- sold nothing but junk made in China and these shopkeepers literally tried to drag you into their store -- very intimidating.

1 Thank Review60968
Port Dover, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I too had gone the Rio Bachata on Jan 16 with the sunquest tour..from the Tomas Cook plane to the rooms and to the services it was fabulous..the weather was perfect it only rained twice for about 5 minutes while we where having supper and we wouldn't have noticed except for the wet walk ways..
As for the food it was great, always had something new to try and different places to try it at, The resort was super clean we had gotten up early a few times to go on a few excursions and the cleaning crews where up and already cleaning. Alot of the workers we had seen worked many hours in a course of a day and u know what they where always smiling and happy and full of energy...tell me how many canadians would be doing that after working anywheres from 8-12 hour days? I applaude them they all deserve a raise and proud of what they accomplish..:)
As for the bad comments, especially the one who was complaining about the tiles being cracked!! I have 2 questions for u ! Number 1 ...do u usually go on a trip and sit and stare at the bathroom tiles ..like is this what your trip consists of? and Number 2 do u not take in consideration how long this resort has been there and maybe the longivity of the building does take a toll after awhile with wear and tear! The other complaint I was peeved at was the people saying this was only a 3. star resort ! What do u base your ratings on? Is it the ones u pay like $1000 a night to stay in? Cmon people be relistic for what you pay at this resort and staying at a palace someplace ...I would say this was a 5 star resort stop being so judgemental! Ive seen worse and Ive been at 5 stars plus with bugs and mold and stained sheets! To each their own I guess but for the most part I think most of the complainers just like to complain as to hear themselves either that they have no life and are all they do is complain! Oh just one last thing coodles to the entertainers , the bar tenders and the servers you all need a pat on the back ! good job ! And it still amazes me u all know so many languages...psst Freddy theres a saying the job of the employees reflects their supervisiors so in other words you taught them well ! :)

1 Thank nerd48
Fort McMurray AB
Reviewed January 25, 2011

My review on the Riu Bachata is mixed. There are good and bad points about my experience.

First of all, we went there to get married and that part of it was beautiful. There were some little things, and big things, that could have made it a lot better though. First of all, when we got to the dinner and we wanted to do some dances with our family, all they had was this little CD player that the volume only went to like 3 and you couldn't hear the music at all, which meant I couldn't dance with my dad on my wedding night. I had already danced with my husband on the beach. they have a beautiful trio that plays after the ceremony.. that was nice.

Overall, it seemed a little rushed and the food at the a la carte steakhouse that night was not good. The beef was not nice, but this is mexico and if you have seen their starving cattle with their bones sticking out as you are driving by.. then you will understand why.

The food was kinda bland, but after a while, I think it would be anywhere.. The rooms were nice.. but I found this huge spider in my bed one night.. and they graciously offered to change our room.. I am a completed spider phobe.. not arachnophobic.. but I get creeped out.

I also sent my clothes to the laundry service and it came back moldy. They didn't do much to remedy that at all. It was all ruined.

The people that worked there were fantastic though. Eurys was my favorite and he worked at the front desk. Loved him. He was such a sweetie.

our maid didn't do much with our room either. We were there on our honeymoon the week after and there was nothing special that made us feel special.

Overall, just remember, we brought 60 people to the resort, but felt like our wedding wasn't that important to them. The co-ordinators were no where to be seen during our dinner reception and there wasn't even any one to talk to about the fact that the CD player wouldnt work. If you want to add any of the traditional things like dancing with your bridal party, dad ect. or MC.. you may want to make sure that they have the audio set up or can set it up for you.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank SarahHiscock
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed January 24, 2011

the view is fabulous - but the beaches have a lot of coral, so if you go swimming, you have to wear water shoes. It is in the mountains and the scenery is spectacular. I would highly recommend it if you are a pool person rather than a beach person. If you are looking for beaches to swim at, go to Santo Domingo or Punta Cana. - the only thing I would complain about (besides my sensitive stomach) is that smoking is permitted almost everywhere - so that was hard for me because I really have a hard time with smoke. Everything is open-air, but we always ended up next to someone smoking it seemed at night for the shows. The entertainment was great and the food was good... the rooms were very clean - I'd give them an A+ for our room service. The only other complaint I had, was that the second floor rooms were not well sound-proofed, and you could hear a lot of noise in the morning when room service came to clean (I stayed in a second story room for the first half of our trip with my parents). I was on the ground floor after my wedding and heard absolutely nothing except waves crashing and roosters crowing... get an ocean view room if you stay there - that is definitely my advice! Either building 5 or 6 ground floor is really nice - private, and beautiful views.

We went on this trip to have our wedding here - and all I can say is AMAZING. We had a wonderful experience with Maria & Nerys the wedding coordinators there, who answered all of our questions with ease! Everything went very well, we had additional parts to our ceremony and they all worked out just fine. We even had a battle with the weather, but still managed to have our beach wedding - not less than 10 minutes before it down-poured! Our photographer was great and made it look like we had a beautiful day out! We had our wedding dinner at the steak house, and the food was great. Our cake was one of the best cakes I have EVER tasted, and I am a cake fanatic. It was super moist - pineapple on the top tier and chocolate (my FAVORITE) on the bottom! How I wish I still had that cake...

We then moved to the pool side bar which we rented for a small fee ($400) From 8-Midnight. We got a DJ and our own bar tender to tend just to our 26 guests! We had a great amount of space to dance and party, and the DJ was able to hook up our IPod to play our song list.

The flowers were the best - orange was my color, and they made our flowers look just absolutely stunning. It went by far too quickly, and I wish I was still there!

We also took an excursion a couple of days after our wedding to Paradise Island. All I can say is WOW! Well worth the money... wonderful trip - water was cold at this time of year, but still beautiful. We also bargained with the tour company reps and got them from $120pp to $60pp - so definitely use your bargaining skills, and be willing to walk away before you come back. Also use the information that you can get the same tour for much cheaper in the city of Puerto Plata... because you can, and most of them will give you the price you want. Also be aware of the ability to bargain in the little huts on the beach where they sell souvenirs etc.

The spa was also fantastic - although I wouldn't spend the money on a manicure or pedicure. They do NOT have acrylic tips or filler - so don't expect to get a nice set of nails if your didn't come with them. It was fine for us as I have long natural nails anyway. I HIGHLY recommend the hydrating facial - my skin looked radiant on my wedding day (I got it the day before...). Hair salon did a fantastic job with all of us, and I am just so happy we went to RIU Bachata for our wedding. Can't say enough great things about the experience.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions about the wedding and or the resort. Great trip, fantastic wedding - just don't go there looking for something that isn't there (ie. white sand and calm bath-warm water.) Be realistic about the experience and you should have a fabulous time! The mountains are absolutely beautiful

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LaLuna333
Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2011

I just got back last night from the RUI Bachata and my suit case is still unpacked, thats how fresh this review is. I arrived Jan 16 and flew home yesterday morning, 7 days of fantastic sun and one of the best Hotel Resorts I have visited. As for a comment to some of the people that have written negative false reviews about the RUI Bachata, and I read over 50 plus reviews before I went Jan 16, some people need to get their head out of their butt and stop slamming this resort with bad reviews. Holy Cow man....this place is all it represents and I cannot believe or support the negative comments which I read before arriving her at the RUI Bachata .
But I will start by saying here with my MOST NEGATIVE COMMENTS on my trip first, as they are some that are NOT mentioned here anywhere.
To start with? The Toronto Airport and their park and fly.
I had to wait 30 minutes at the park and fly to even get to the airport, at 230 am and in the cold.Then after arriving at the Thomas Cook check in at the airport, I was about 100 people back from the check in counter. Now I 'll mention that I pre-boarded earlier and had my seat assignment already, which meant NOTHING once I got to the counter, 45 minutes later. I was pre-boarded and had assigned seats in row 6 and ended up in the 31st row. They had no explanation or apoligy but blamed a servor error and claimed the plane was fully booked and assigned. The Thomas Cook Manager had nothing to say either for their mistake and refused any apoligy or correction to their mistake but advised me to contact Thomas Cook on my return. That doesn't help me now but fair warning to all that have paid the pre-boarding fee or pre-board online.
The plane was spacious, leather seating and roomy enough, and other than the fact the earphone jack on my seat didn't work, my other complaint was that the width of the hips on the flight attendant were wider than the main walkway and jolted passengers as she thundered down the isle. The warm breakfast and good flight attendant service was a pleasant surprise and appreciated.
Upon arrival at the Dominican Airport after a rough turbulent flight and the worst landing I have ever experienced the airport was nice and clean and easy to get around in. More on the airport departure later and Thats the most important advise you will hear here and has never been mentioned ever here.
The tour busses were all lined up with assistance to each and every Hotel/Resorts and cold beers were available for purchase. About a 40 minute drive to the Bachata through some mind boggling traffic with numerous scooters and people just walking like chickens all over the roadways. Like I said, Mind Boggling!
Check in at the Bachata was quick and easy in the main lobby with reciept of the trip itinery and flight reciept. Everything was all pre-packaged with room keys, safe key and all maps describing the building locations. The property was beautiful with countless numbers of Domican vegatation and palm trees surrounding the buildings and poll area.The room was clean and neat. The mini fridge was filled with cold soda's,fresh bottled water and of course, cold beers. That was a huge hit with us as we were parched from the proceedings so far. The beds were two doubles together as one with marble floors throughout. The TV supported about 100 channels, I suspect on cable and had about 10 in english in some of the major networks, ESPN,NBC,ABC, SPEED...to name a few. But really people, are we here to watch TV anyways? Morning news was nice and a bit before shut eye.Other than that, we were never in the room.
The RUI Bachata support network,meaning as all the staff in the resort, I figure is about one to every five guests there.I mean their staff is HUGE in numbers! and all so pleasant and friendly. The management bent over backwards to make sure your stay was everything you expected and more. If there was a problem with anything? ASK and its resolved.Super friendly and very attentive to your every needs, and everything is impectably maintained. If I had one negative commment so far, it would be the beds as they are not the pillowtop high quality mattresses that some are used to and are the best quality that are available to the Domican Republic Resorts.
The food. Ok people, you can't find a better buffet in a resort for everyone's want, and have to haves. Fresh and abundant tasty dishes everyday with every night having a different theme for the main buffet. The service was bar none and again at your every wish with fresh water,a glass of wine, and a pot of coffee in the mornings. Tipping is not mandatory but even two bucks for dining for two, is well deserved and appreciated by the bar staff and waiter staff. They don't expect tips but are very appreciated if a buck or two falls their way, so please tip a few anyways.Their smile and gratitude is priceless and life enlightening. The bar can only be described as endless possibilities and plentiful. There are three bars, one at the pool open 10am to 7pm and another two in the main courtyard open 10am to 7am the next day. The entertainment has been well represented here by all already and in a word, fantastic both by the day entertainment staff and the evening entertainment on the main stage! There is some shopping that can be done on their own little Caribeean street with lots of local treasures at reasonable prices. PLus the biggest perk again not mentioned anywhere.... is the fact you have three RUI resorts within walking distances(5 minutes) apart. You can use all their facilities for the same price except for their dinners. The al a cart resturants, in my opinion both are over rated and I didn't care for the extra reservations and the food was not so different. The steak at the Barbeque was far better than at the Steakhouse and don't expect a 1" steak as you will be disappointed. I would say more like a 1/2" at best.
As for my opinion on bad children running wildly? Here it is, there are more BAD PARENTS that allow their children to run wildly than bad children. The parents have no consideration for other guests and their bad parenting. Some guests don't enjoy the company or carrying on of other people's children and the parents need to control and respect others. Enough said on that and all you parents know what I mean, or should.
Finally, and sorry to be longwinded here but here's the worst surprise at the airport at departure. They weigh your bags, all of them including carry on and you pay accordingly. The two suitcases my wife and I had were 20 kilo's each which is the allowable weight. But you add the carryon bags, and everyone was over weight as I packed my gifts in carryon to save the weight in my checked luggage. My cost was an extra charge of $180.00 and they have no compassion for no one telling you of this. And really All I and my wife had was some gifts and stuff in a shoulder bag. Talk about a rip off? Man was I ticked off and a good control of your temper is good advise to remember as they won't argue with you but will have their security deal with you.
Thats it! Great place and highly recommended. Email me if you like, I had a great time!

5 Thank trailboss05
#9 of 39 in Puerto Plata
Ocean Blue & Sand
Ocean Blue & Sand
#14 of 26 in Bavaro

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!