“Better than Cuba”

Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Brampton, Canada
“Better than Cuba”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

To begin with I had a great time. You can never trust everything you read. I traveled with a somewhat picky friend (family) but we all had a blast. You have to like the people you vacation with to have a good time (I know I did). All I can say is thanks for the wonderful week I had with friends and family (cudos to my wonderful husband). The rooms were ok, the food good, the drinks were not watered down (as mentioned in a review I read) you just have to ask for less ice, but with that they did not stay cold long enough. I did notice the bartender open up new bottles as I heard the seals crack when opened. All in all the weather is what made it better. We had rain 1 night but by then we were asleep. Everyone has different expectations so therefore it makes it harder to be able to trust reviews you read. Complaint was the animation team, they were not professionals and that would be the one thing I was looking forward on this trip was seeing and participating in in some shows and nightly activities.

3 Thank crazyforlife

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,017)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

Okay, so before i went on my trip to the RIU Bachata, i went on this site and was very disappointed, because i thought that my holiday would SUCK! Most of the Reviews I read were bad.
I had a fantastic time!! time of my life!! I went with my family. My siblings and i are in our 20s. Every night we met fantastic people and partied all night at the pacha (the disco) and then went to the 24/h bar every night haha it was a blast. We got to meet new people every night and became really good friends with people. Now for us kids we had a BLAST, but my parents just thought that the vacation was mehh. So that means that this resort is really only for young people that are looking to party and have a good time.
Now when i went it rained a LOT . just because of the rainy season.. so plan not to go in the rainy season..
Ok and the beach was not your typical WHITE SAND BEACH ok . it was ok but not anything to be memorized over. SO if you are looking to go on a vacation with an incredible beach, puerto plata is not the place for you. But for me i thought it was GREAT!! i loved the people, the drinks, workers and most of all spending time with my family.
Oh and if you want a cheap massage, go to the shacks off of the beach and you can get a good CHEAP massage, 30$ for an hour and it was great!!!

PS: only eat food that you are familiar with, dont eat any seafoods and mystery meat.

3 Thank DanHarBan
WASAGA BEACH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

Review
We visited the Rui Bachata From January 21st – 28th 2010 and have to say it is not as bad as many of the reviewers make it out to be. I will agree with many other posters that this is not a traditional Caribean 5 star. I have visited a number of 5 Star resorts and unfortunately the Bachata does not come close. That being said I enjoyed the Bachata a lot better than Bahia in Punta Cana. Here is my honest review of the Bachata for all aspects

Arrival

Quick Efficient and friendly. We arrived around 2 hours late due to some luggage issues when departing Toronto. But the staff were ready for our arrival and we were set-up and in our room within 15minutes of arriving.

Room

Our room was located in Building 5 – Room 0524. This room was a corner room with an Ocean View. The AC worked fine, the beds were not that great and as in any Caribbean resort they had a damp smell. The rooms are older and can use some updating, but we hardly spent any time in the room. To help with the AC to work better, close the bathroom door. There is no reason to AC the bathroom and it will keep your room a lot cooler. The maid was fantastic, room was made up and cleaned exceptionally well every day. Requested were auctioned promptly and didn’t have any issues with bugs or mold. We did have people in our travel party who did have AC issues but they were moved to different rooms immediately.

The food was good, not 5 Star quality and vararity but never had any issues with the options available. Where this resort lacks compared to other resorts is there Al a Carte options and quality. There are 2 options Steak and Italian… both are average compared to other reports. I didn’t hear of anyone getting sick from the food. I would say by the end of our trip we were ready for something else to eat. Don’t know how anyone could last 2 weeks there with the food options.
The service in the restaurants was fantastic, never had any issues with waiting for beverages or getting utensils. The staff were extremely friendly and prompt. Those who complain about not getting beverages from the staff should be able to get up and grab a quick drink themselves – The drink stations (Pop, wine and beer) are in the middle of the buffet and very easy to access. The staff always look busy and unfortunately can not meet everyone’s immediate needs 100% of the time. Relax you are on vacation!
Now in the buffet this is where I saw and had the most issues with guests… I said to my wife “do people lose their manners when on vacation?” her response “They probably never had them to begin with!” For the most part everyone is polite and show common courtesy, but there are a number that think they are at home and are completely disrespectful and rude. Didn’t matter what, age, nationality or sex each group had a rude and ignorant person bullying their way through the lines or treating the staff like crap. You are on vacation, but you still need to mind your manners and treat everyone with respect!
Look for Manlano in the Buffet! He was an amazing server!

Drinks and Entertainment

Never had any issues with the drinks – just asked for mucho Rhum or Mucho booze. Our group drank our fair share of beverages over the week. Although you can tell that the booze content is low, just means you double or triple up… or drink more. We did bring some of our own duty free booze – Baily’s and Rye but that was our preference.
Each of the Bars had good staff, but the pool bar had exceptional staff all the time! Jose and Edison were fantastic and made sure our cups were always filled. We did tip but not extravagant amounts. I got very good service with and without tipping.
The Entertainment staff was good, they looked like they had a lot of energy and were good to talk to throughout the vacation. The one good thing was that they were not extremely pushy as I have seen in other resorts – a quick no Thank you was all it took. The nightly shows were cheesy, but I have never seen one that I personally have liked. The one great thing with the staff is they were great with kids. We have a one year old who loved dancing on the stage every night.

Staff

Staff were all extremely friendly and loved to stop and say hi to our daughter. I swore that she would be saying “Hola Baby” by the end of the vacation for how many times she heard it. I did not find one staff member that was rude or not smiling.

Facilities

Very clean resort with mature trees and greenery. The resort is starting to show it’s age but there are workers everywhere – Cleaning, painting, trimming, sweeping, decorating, etc. The pool was nice generally clean and cool. They could have been a bit bigger and with some of the new features the other 5 Star resorts have. The beach was nice, didn’t visit it as much as I am not a beach person and the damn Sand Fleas were crazy. I have never had a sand flea bite itch for so long! I didn’t really have any issues with mozzies, but the Sand Flea’s were angry the entire weak eating my ankles up.

The 2 biggest issues I had with the facilities were
1. Buffet – WAY TO HOT… needs AC
2. Smoking… Needs to be restricted to certain areas. I am not a smoker so I am biased on this.

Overall we had a great vacation! Met a lot of great people from many different places. Nothing made us think twice about the vacation or the resort. I probably will not return as I am not a fan of the Dominican due to being spoiled in Mexico a number of times and having the chance to visit some of the best resorts in Mexico.

If you have the resort booked, go with an open mind, relax and enjoy your vacation. You are there to have fun and not think about things – Why ruin a good vacation being a turd andnit picking every little detail. This is an older resort it can’t be perfect. If you are looking for perfection stay home!

Thanks to the Bachata for the perfect sunny weather! I hear they can control the weather 

• Stayed January 2010
8 Thank KARKS
ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2010

Stop reading all those bad reviews. I too read them before we went and was a little worried. You will have nothing to worry about. The hotel was great. Food was good and the entertainment staff did a great job trying to keep allt he guests busy and happy. The rooms were just fine, keep in mind you are only in the room to change therefore you really don't need a palace of a room. I have a family of 5 and we did just fine. I am a very picky person and I thought this was an all around great vacation. Go see for yourself you will be glad you did.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank runner111
newcastle,ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

Stayed at the Riu Bachata from Jan 21 to Jan 28.I read all the reviews before we went,and the new reviews when we returned.Never been to D.R. before.Have been all over Mexico and Cuba.We found the food better than Cubas and equal to Mexicos.The only food issue we had was the meat at the steak house was very rare , so ask for it well done.Another review spoke off rashes on their kids,My son got rashes on his legs and wraists. After he stayed in the pool awhile it disappered,So my thinking is it was just a heat rash.The animation staff does not go out off their way to get people to join activites.They just don't seem to care.Have no complaints about our room.When we arrived there was music playing in our room with a welcome letter with a bottle of rum.The next morning the front desk called to see if everything was ok.The beach is very shaded but if you go down to the Meringe the beach is wider and has lots of sun.You can get drinks and food at this hotel also.I did find when waiting in line at the bar,that a man walked up behind me and another guest waiting in line showed the bartender some money and he got served first.The resort is defintley not a north american 5 star resort,I would give it a 3 star.But never being to the D.R. before this could be what they consider a 5 star.If looking for a day trip I would totally recommend the OutBack Safari ,It is very infomative about the locals and lots of fun.Would diffently do that day trip again.I don't think would go back to this resort again ,as we like to try different places.But the price was right for what you get.

4 Thank newcastlemc
ny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

Scene:When arriving you see the beautiful palm trees and catch a glimpse of the pool and think to yourself wow! the scenary is fantastatic.

Rooms:
Then you arrive to your room. Immediately the smell of cigar hits your nose as if someone were smoking in your room prior to your arrival. (yuck). The shower curtain was dirty and look as if it never were changed. The window curtain reeked of a foul odor. The toilet made whistling noises for minutes at a time(very distracting when trying to sleep). All of the oulets were covered! so any devices such as cameras, cell phones, ipods, etc. could not be charged. The floors were sticky. The bathroom mirrors were dirty as well. The room itself was 90% dust! The only plus were the porch outside of the room.

Housekeeping/Front Desk:

Although the staff were super friendly. Request such as irons, adapters or anything extra was promised but NEVER resolved.

Food:
HORRIBLE! Who goes to Dominican Republic to eat American Foods? No althentic Domican dishes were available. The drinks were watered down.

The beach was beautiful from a far but close up looked more like diaster struck. Their were which seemed like a million rocks in the water. There were more trees then branches on the beach which loss the natural appeal.

Riu Bachata is more a family based resort, so if you are single i wouldnt recommend this resort. The shows were entertaining but there isnt much to do otherwise.

All exclursions were over priced.

Overall, if you just want to get away and your not concerned about cleanliness, great customer service then this is the place for you. Otherwise find another resort and get your money's worth!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank ChettaNY
nova scotia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2010

We stayed at RIU for fourteen days...7 Jan. 21st. Jan
As you can see from my rating I am not bias, but being honest.
The pool was not large enough for the number of people using it, therefor it seemed unclean even though I know the staff were doing maintenance every night(I wouldn't use it).
The food was very good and nobody got sick from it or the booze which IS watered down.
A good thing or there would be a lot of wrecks around by lunch.
The nightly shows were super-- the best we have seen in our 14 years of traveling to DR
The three resorts are wheelchair accesable but a scooter would be better--I know I brought my own!
The staff went the extra mile to make our stay memorable.
My wife says the beach wasn't very good but went every day.
In think having a safe in your room is a good thing BUT I'm not sure you would need one here.
The maids are honest and pleasant.
This is a good resort for the handicapped , only the beach is out of bounds
Bill & Donna , Clyde River, Nova Scotia

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,331 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!