“Change Hotels Now!!”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“Change Hotels Now!!”
Reviewed January 14, 2005

Change Hotels while you can!! Beware of the wrath of the Riu's in Puerto Plata!! You will get sick!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,027)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 14, 2005

Dont eat the food, it WILL make you sick. Every other person including 2 of the people I was with were sick! We saw the news report on the Canadian news talking about the problem of everyone getting sick, it can't be good for business. There must be something we could do to get some sort of compensation. Other than that, it was a nice resort, the beach could of been better.

Reviewed January 14, 2005

I stayed at the Riu Bachata with 5 other people from January 5 - January 12. We were disappointed from the moment we arrived. Apart from the weather being bad, the food was inedible, and within the first 48 hours 3 people from our group had gotten sick. Throughout the week, I was the only one that did not suffer from vomiting or diarrhea, but I still had a stomachache for a few days.

The entertainment at night was laughable. The performers lip synched and poorly danced to pre-recorded tunes, such as the Grease soundtrack. The "fitness center" was really just a bare room with 2 treadmills and a couple of weights. Our room was not made up every day even if we requested it, and sometimes we did not receive fresh towels or have our fridge restocked.

On the last night of our trip, at 4 am, someone woke up me and my roommate by pounding on the back screen door of our room, trying to get in. After calling the front desk, the security was slow and wasn't reassuring.

In all, I would never recommend the Riu Bachata to anyone and would never return.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 13, 2005

We stayed at the Riu Bachata from Dec. 27 to Jan 3. It was our first ever trip to the Carribbean and the hotel came highly recommended by our travel agent. We can't say enough about the staff - extremely friendly and hospitable and very hard working. We were suspicious about the water, but were assured by many different people that only purified water was used, even for ice cubes. Well all four of us became ill during our stay, and our son has been sick ever since we got home. We heard about this site and feel comforted that he is not alone in this illness, but aghast at the number of people that have similar symptoms. The weather was poor during our visit, but we were determined to enjoy it - beats shovelling snow - and it was quite warm. Two of our excursions were cancelled, due to weather and lack of interest - also a disappointment. Oh yes, one night while I was running to the bathroom yet again, I noticed several cucarachas (yes, cockroaches) scurrying for cover. They didn't bother me too much, but still, not something you expect in a 5 star hotel. We will never forget our trip, but not for the best reasons!

Reviewed January 13, 2005

Went to Riu Bachata from jan 4- jan 11th. We traveled from NY-JFK.. 6 college students. We've traveled to Puerto Plata and Punta Cana before, but this was our first time with Riu. As always we have enjoyed our stay at Dominica Republic. The stomach flu seems unavoidable, out of 6 only 3 of us got sick on our last day. Just take Immodium with you and you'll be fine (follow the directions on the back!!!!!). The grounds of the resort is very nice. The beach is pretty, though not the typical Punta Cana beach. The rooms were kept spotless. The only thing that we seem to dislike about this resort is the entertaiment at night.. the shows weren't that good. The only show we liked was "magic" that was hilarious. The disco played hip-hop and latino music....very happy atmosphere...we loved it. Food is good, but you do have to watch what you eat. I wouldn't eat anything with coco mixure. Also, the steak house was nothing special. I'd stick with the main restaurant. The Cayo Paradise tour $84 was very nice, unforgettable experience ..worth the whole day. Also, while you're enjoying the Cayo Paradise tour, you will be video taped., we purchased the dvd..and the quality of the video was very poor, its only $45. I wouldn't suggest taking video camera with you, unless you won't snorkle and have someone watch it for you. Overall, we enjoyed our vacations. If you're going to Puerto Plata Riu resorts Have Fun!!! Just in case have some medications with you and don't let the tummy problems spoil your vacations!! If you have any questions feel free to email me.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2005

In all fairness, this is one of the nicer resorts I've ever been to (even though the beach is pretty sad). However, I can't give it more than one star because my week was a nightmare.

I've been sick on vacations before... I've done a lot of travelling. Getting the runs for eating a bit of unfamiliar food is par for the course. However, what I experienced at this place was unlike anything else I have ever felt. Absolutely violent puking for hours on end. I couldn't even keep water down, it was horrible.

Something is wrong here... no question. But nobody said anything. Not Sunquest, not the resort... nobody. At least a warning would have helped slow the spread, or encouraged people to WASH THEIR HANDS before going to the dining room (this includes the staff).

I seriously think we should be considering a class action lawsuit against Sunquest and Riu for this atrocity. Handing over thousands of dollars to spend a week draped over a toilet is not my idea of a good exchange. The lack of any kind of warning/communication from these parties regarding this illness is irresponsible - plain and simple.

Neither Sunquest or Riu will ever get my business again.

9 Thank ThirdWorld
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 12, 2005

Just wanted to report back on an incredible time in Puerto Plata at the RIU.

Our family enjoyed a week-long vacation in PARADISE. The RIU staff was incredibly friendly, the weather a perfect 80 degrees and sunny, and the RIU rooms were very spacious, clean and comfortable.

The days were filled with leisure activities at the RIU, with plenty of swimming in the fabulous pools and their nightly entertainment was appropriate and enjoyable for the whole family.

The RIU resort included all the amenties and service you could ask for and my family truly felt blessed to experience such a week in PARADISE.

Hope your family can do the same at the RIU in Puerto Plata. Cheers.

3 Thank Taoteching
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,378 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!