“A Big Disappointment”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“A Big Disappointment”
Reviewed January 9, 2005

Just got back from the Riu Bachata where we stayed from December 27, 2004 to January 4, 2005. All I can say is if you read the reviews for this resort from the beginning of December until now, you will experience the same things when you are there. I must say, that the trip becomes a major dissapointment after you get sick. You can't drink or eat properly after that and the doctors only solution is to go on I.V. I've been to a RIU resort before and was not disappointed as I was here. Honestly, if you have the chance to go elsewhere....I would

• Stayed December 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 8, 2005

We stayed at the Bachata week of Jan. 1-8th. Check in at front desk was no problem. The room we stayed in was very clean and oceanview room. Some of the other rooms had a terrible smell to them and I would strongly recommend you get an oceanview room away from the pool area which is very noisy. I too also read all the reviews about people getting sick and how terrible the food was and they were all right!!!!

The food is awful everything is fried in coconut oil and I was sick the first night after I ate the chicken. The meat is NOT COOKED!!!! So we survived on french fries, pasta and vegetables, bread and butter only! For breakfast the safest thing I ate was the pancakes and I was fine the whole week. Also, there is no variety in the food whatsoever it is the same thing day after day night after night. We had one theme night only which was Mexican but the food was extremely spicy!!! We also has a BBQ for lunch and that was the only meat I ate the whole week as it was actually cooked in front of me. The service when you went for the buffet was awful. We were never asked if we would like a drink or even a glass of water. When you came for breakfast I always ended up getting my own coffee. For a 5 star resort this is totally unacceptable in my opinion!

Quite a number of people at the resort were extremely ill. The management competely ignored this fact nor did they insure that the place was disinfected properly so that no other people would get ill. I strongly suggest you bring with you purell or some type of anti-bacterial hand wash and you use it before and after your meals!!!! I am very serious this is not a joke!!!!!

The entertainment was ok nothing special and it did not start until 9:45 p.m. which I found to be quite late. If you want to get a chair by the pool you need to be there by 7:00 a.m. otherwise you will not get a chair by the pool. We ended up at the beach by the Merengue because we didn't want to go through the hassle everyday to get a chair and be like sardines by the pool.

Some goods news is that the hotel staff tried their best to accomodate you very friendly and were willing to help you whenever they could. The weather was not the greatest when we were there so whenever there is sun you need to take it in as the weather is changing there constantly so when it rains it is like a downpour. It is quite humid there so it's best to get your hair braided, I found out after there is a hairdresser on Caribbean street which is cheaper than the hotel and the girls at the beach. The huts on the beach are a rip off and they hassle you do not go there!!

The food is the same at all the hotels one is not any better than the other. Also we went to the Merengue to ask for a bandaid for a cut and when they saw our wristbands they refused to give us a bandaid and told us to go to the Riu Bachata to get one!! So in otherwords what they tell you is not true and you are not accepted at the other hotels!!!!

I would strongly suggest that if you go to the Dominican do not stay at the RIU chain as in my opinion this is not a 5 Star hotel possible a 3 or 4 no more than that!!!!!!!!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newcastle, England
Reviewed January 7, 2005

Just returned from Riu Meringue but spent most of our time at the Riu
Bachata as the pool area was nicer.
Entertainment was crap and very amateurish, weather was not so good
either but the main complaint was the terrible stomach upsets that we and
most other guests at all the riu hotels suffered from. Out of 25 of
us, 19 suffered terrible stomach cramps and sickness/diarroeah confining
us to bed for a minimum of 24 hours - only to recover then when eating
the food again illness recurred. Other guests we spoke to also
suffered and some actually had to have IV drips and penicillin or morphine to
control the severe stomach cramps - doctor charges $400 per visit so
insurance is an absolute must! We were frightened to eat the repetitive
(and infected?) food by the end of our stay and consequently we all
lost weight and couldn't wait to get home. Some of us still suffering the
stomach cramps and diarroeah 2 days after arriving home which indicate
symptoms of salmonella. My husband actually saw one of the chefs going
to the loo and walking out without washing his hands and a lot of the
food appeared not to be cooked thoroughly. Have heard good reports
about other riu resorts, particularly mexico, but I personally will not be
chancing another horrific experience like this. My advice to others -
STAY AWAY!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 7, 2005

Ok, all of it wasn't terrible. I'll go along with most everyones opinion of the staff and how great and accomodating they are. I rate this hotel strictly on the fact that by the end of the trip I was eating Clif bars, Snickers, and Doritos. I was so scared to eat any of the Riu food that I resorted to eating food I'd brought with me. My stay was from the 31st of December through the 7th of January 2005. I just got home a couple of hours ago. My friend got sick on the morning of the 4th and the next 36 hours walking beween his bed and the toilette with diarrhea. I started the same process the night of 5th, but threw in about 8 vomiting sessions. I recommend emptying your trash on a towel in the corner of your bathroom so that you have a good throw-up bucket handy. We did this with both trash cans.

My friend and I scheduled Deep Sea Fishing, Monster Trucking, and a Puerto Plata Tour for Tues, Wed, and Thursday. We cancelled all 3 excursions the day of the event due to sickness.

I've got a couple of unmentioned theories as to where the sickness comes from.

1. The bottled water they leave in your room fridge has a cap with a "safety seal" that is almost impossible to break. You could easily open it, fill it with tap water, and put the cap back on. You would have to purposely work at breaking the "safety seal" if you want it to break. I drank the water my entire trip. Perhaps, water is better on some days than others.

2. Watch the bartenders after they make a blended drink. They rinse the blender in the sink with tap water and then make the next drink. If you shouldn't even use enough of this water to brush your teeth, why would this practice be ok?

3. A lady I sat next to on the plane said she'd been coming annually to the Riu Merengue for the last 9 years. She stayed at the Merengue this year as well and will not be returning next year. She witnessed her maid cleaning the glasses in her room in the bathroom sink with tap water, then drying them with what appeared to be a dirty gray towel. She then used this towel to clean the mirror. She also claimed she saw the same food being used at one restaurant then moved to another, then another, then another. She had not eaten anything but crackers and water her last couple days.

I've got plenty of good stuff too say about the staff, but it's all really meaningless if you're scared to eat or are laying in bed sick. 80% of the people we spoke to had been sick for at least a day. If you want to enjoy your whole trip, stay somewhere else. If you don't mind spending almost a third of it sick, then maybe this is the place for you. I will never stay at another Riu Hotel as they would allow such a problem to persist. They are aware of it. I read reviews before my trip and sent them an email asking if the problems had been corrected to which I received no response. One of the other reviewers mentioned having emailed them as well.

I looked into switching hotels through my agency "Hobbit Travel" two days prior to departure, but the best available replacement was Jack Tar. I declined the change. I should have switched and now regret it. Don't make the same mistake. Someone on my plane home stayed at the Jack Tar and had no problems, another stayed at the Playa Dorada with no problems as well. I will in the future take a 3 star hotel having fun over a 5 star hotel laying in bed.

P.S. Watch our for the sand fleas and wash your feet well at the beach. I believe all Puerto Plata Hotels have this problem.

• Stayed January 2005
5 Thank Chrisjw1
Reviewed January 5, 2005

We went to Riu Bachata 4 people me, my husband & 8-3 years old daughters.
The hotel was clean the staff awasome but the food looked OK until 3 of us got sick stomach flu of food poisoning we do not exatcly, only my 3 year old daughter didn't got sick but she didn't eat much of the food.
Almost half airplane was sick I do not understand suppost to be 5 Star the best hotel in Puerto Plata. From Dec.27 to Jan.4,2005 was raining every day, well for sure we wont;t go back to Puerto Plata never no more.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 5, 2005

I have to agree with all the other reviews, the 2 of us on the trip both got sick and everyone we talked to at the resort was also sick. To me the same food was sitting all through lunch and dinner and none of the cold foods (like cheese, salads etc) were covered from flies at the outdoor restaurant.

We too experienced no service in the buffets. Not once in 7 days were we asked if we wanted coffee in the morning and only asked once in the evening if we wanted water with our dinner. The specialty restaurants were tolerable at best, with not having everything available on the menu and slow service.

So the bad food (lack of variety and cold) coupled with the rain (which we can't hold the resort responsible for), made for a very bad trip.

I would never recommend a Rui resort nor stay in one.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto
Reviewed January 4, 2005

We were at the Riu Bachata from December 18 to January 1 and had a fantastic time. The hotel is spotless, the food was good, the grounds are well kept, the pools are spacious, the service was impeccable. Every request we made was dealt with immediately. The entertainment crew does there best to make everyone happy. Keep in mind it's not Las Vegas.
There was 10 in our party, with three falling ill. Yes, I agree there were many who were also sick, but there is no rhyme or reason to these illnesses. This was our third Riu property and won't be our last.

• Stayed December 2004
Be Live Collection Marien
Be Live Collection Marien
#9 of 39 in Puerto Plata
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!