“Awesome, second to none”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Nova Scotia, Canada
“Awesome, second to none”
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We were there as a group of 19 for a wedding. Everything was great right from the start. The staff go above and beyond in making sure your stay is perfect. Everyone from the maids to barstaff to the people looking after the grounds upkeep were friendly and helpful.

The rooms were super clean and well looked after. The food was awesome and such a choice of different meals. Many of us did the rum factory tour where you were taken into Puerto Plata and were taken up a mountain via a cable car, the whole day was well worth the $49.00.

The last day we were to checkout by noon but our flight did not leave until 11:30 that night, I went to the front desk and explained that there were 19 of us and was it possible to have a room for the day to put our luggage and shower, they let us keep our room for the day at no charge...... not too many places would do that.

We had not one problem while we were there, not one complaint. We will be going back soon. Just remember to take lots of American $1.00 bills for tipping.

3 Thank KerryBalcom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,014)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Halifax, NS
Reviewed May 1, 2009

We stayed here April 16-23 with our extended family and many friends. There were no children in our party. We have done quitge a bit of travelling and stayed in various resorts and could not find any fault in this one.

The staff are friendly and hard working. The resort (in its entirety) extremely clean. The room did smell a bit musty, but the mini bar was refilled every 2 days and when I asked for extra pillows, I was quickly accommodated and the staff rang the room later in the day in make sure I had received them.

The beach is a bit rocky, would recommend water shoes if you are the type to really mind it. The coast is windy and several days were red flagged on the beach, not recommending swimming, however, the beach just a few minutes walk away at the sister resorts is more protected and you are able to use that one. Lots of lounge chairs and shaded areas on the beach.

The buffet has a large variety and tasted good enough, there is certainly no excuse for being hungry. We ate at the steakhouse and it was OK, not great, and did not get around to trying the Italian a la carte. I snack bar is a good option for lunches. The drinks are good, and some may say watered down, but, hey, you can drink all you want, so does it really matter? IF you want the 151 rum, just ask for it and you will get it.

The Carribean Street shopping is fun and convenient, bargain for your best price. Would suggest bringing your own snorkel gear, lots of tropical fish to swim with in just a few feet of water, bring some bread from the buffet and enjoy feeding them.

The entertainment is typical resprt entertainment. Not great, not horrible. The computers in the internet cafe worked quite well. You can hire a taxi and guide right in the lobby for a better price and have your own private tour of Puerto Plate, rather than book an excursion. Jose was our guide and he is great.

Rancho Lorilar is a fantatic horseback riding adventure, Canadian owned and operated. Horses are clean and healthy, guides friendly and helpful and the price VERY fair. Half day $50 and full day $70. I definitely recommend the full day, it is about 3 hours total of riding, with frequent breaks for drinks, swimming and lunch. We are not competent horse back riders, but felt very safe and had mucho fun!

We were in building 7, close to the pool and sometimes there was noise at night, but who cares, people are on vacation, t he point is to enjoy yourself. If you want a completely silent environment, do not go to a resort with 24 hour open bar!

Overall, I would recommend this resort to friends, and I would have no qualms about going back, except that we do not go to a place more than once, as we prefer to see new places on each vacation. If you decide to go, I hope you have a fun and relaxing vacation. Enjoy!

1 Thank Michelle B
PETERBOROUGH
Reviewed April 29, 2009

The resort is very picturesque, but the food was not great, the air conditioning does not work, so all your clothing becomes very musty. The specialty restaurants were definitely not good, and the pool was lined with algae.. The beach itself is sandy, but one cannot swim as it is too rocky. Not as nice as the other end of Puerta Plata in the Playa Dorado area. Certainly not one or our better holoidays

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We stayed at the Bachata from Apr. 11th thru the 18th. Weather was fantastic the whole time we were there. Hot & sunny everyday The beach was awesome. There were always lounge chairs available.

The food was pretty good, and there was definately a variety to choose from. We never went hungry. We really only ate the Bachata, never did try the other two hotels.

The shops along Caribbean Street are a bit pricey. The shop right in the hotel lobby is convenient, but very pricey.

The grounds are very well maintained. They were always cleaning, mopping, and working on stuff. We found the staff extremely friendly as well. The front desk was always helpful too.

The maids do a great job in keeping the room cleaned. One problem I had with the room is that it reeked of cigarette smoke. I'm not sure if any of the rooms are non-smoking. Being a former smoker, I am quite sensitive to the odor. However, the bedding needs to be replaced. Our bedspread was looking thread bare, and my daughters bedding (in a different room) had what appeared to be old dried blood. Yuk. Although gross, It wasn't much of a problem though , we quickly asked the maid to replace the bedspread, in which she promptly did.

We were in room 701, which was a corner room facing the pool, and while the location was great, it also wasn't great. lol. It was nice and close to the pool -- Whch also means that it was close to the outside bar and shows. We heard everyone that walked by our room. Everyone had to pass by our room to get to theirs. Not so nice especially when at 3:00 am you get a few loud drunks walking by. Not only that, but since the hallways are open to the outside, eveyone's voice carries through the hallway. There was no way to block out noise. I found that once you wake up in the night like that, you always heard more noise, which made it harder to go back to sleep.

I agree with the reviewer before me in that the kids club was very lacking. We took my 4 year old son (who turned 5 on our vacation) there. The girl who was working there seemed more interested in sweeping the porch, and talking with one of her friends than she was playing or doing anything with the kids. She barely kept her eye on him. I was nervous since the kids club is basically on the beach, and it seemed as though my son could wander away without anyone even seeing him. My husband and I sat within view of him to see if he would play or what they were doing. The 20 minutes he was there, there we NO activities. There were maybe 4 kids total there. The whole time we sat there, the worker talked with her friend. She or any of the workers didn't play with any of the kids. It seemed as if they were on their own. Needless to say, after 20 minutes of this going on, we took my son out and he never went back.

We did book a Taxi from the hotel lobby. $40 US, which went on a City Tour. Worth the $$, and we had fun.

As I mentioned, we celebrated my son's 5th birthday while there. They sent a fruit platter and a card to our room for my son. At dinner that night (at the buffet) they decorated our table in balloons, and after dinner came to our table and sang "happy birthday" and brought him a delicious chocolate cake complete with a candle. It was very nice. My son loved it.

While the Bachata is very nice, I don't think we would return. Maybe if we didn't have our children with us I would feel differently, but it just didn't appear to have much for children.

I would however recommend this to couples for a nice relaxing getaway.....

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
north east
Reviewed April 27, 2009

firstly this is not a 5 star hotel. there are good points - the rooms are ok but very clean, maids excellent and any issues are repaired immediately, lots of variety in the food, reception very good english and very helpful, thomas cook holiday rep very good and the grounds are wonderful. But we travelled with children and the facitilites for them and the entertainment in general was lacking. No shallow pool unless you count the one 3 inches deep, kids not encouraged to take part in activities, very poor kids club (its much much better at the mambo we discovered 2 days before we left), the entertainment team have their favourites (the ones that drink all day) and dont bother with anyone else, shows very repetative - mr/miss bachatta and dancing over and over again. if you get a good price go and use all 3 hotels - dont pay full price would be my advise.
trips - ocean world fantastic, monster truck amazing - the real domincan, catarmaren - very good.

Surrey, England
Reviewed April 27, 2009

I keep seeing comments that this is not a five star hotel, well, maybe it isn't by UK/USA standards, but I wonder how many of the people who make these comments have actually stayed at a 5 star hotel in the UK? You wouldn't get 3 nights bed and breakfast in London for the price you pay for a fortnight's all inclusive at the Riu Bachata.

We found the service that the staff gave was unfailingly cheerful. I have never seen toilets cleaned more frequently (and I have stayed at 5 star hotels).

Most of our part had tummy troubles at some stage but I would attribute it to over-indulging on food, alcohol and sunshine. Two of the group had to visit the hotel doctor and found him to be efficient and helpful.

Yes, the drink was watered down, including the propriatory brands (Brugal rum and Ballantine's whisky) but I think that was to save some of the clients from themselves. The gin and rum in the rooms were quite drinkable though, which is more than can be said of the house wine which, frankly, was ullage.

The food was very good indeed and I did not find it particularly repetitious. There was always something available that I liked, normally the daily roasts. The salads were also good. Perhaps those that found the food 'samey' were the same people who put fish, meat, pasta pizza, roast meat, pork chops, salad and fruit on the same plate - believe me, there were plenty of those. This sort of eating makes it very difficult for the kitchen to provide the variety demanded. I really did see one person have fried egg, boiled egg, scrambled egg and boiled egg on the same plate, true class.I

The beach was clean, there were plenty of sunbeds to sun yourself or sit in the shade as the fancy takes you, it was never a battle to find a bed or shady spot.. The grounds and pool areas were clean and well maintained.

We were there over Easter and a large group of locals stayed at the hotel for the break. I didn't see anybody vomiting on the pool or behaving badly. I saw a couple of locals the worse for wear but I saw an English lad carried out of the bar by his hands and feet late one night as well. I can't say that I found anything untoward about the local visitors.

This was my third trip to the Riu hotels, so I won't be going again. But I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a value for money tropical holiday.

• Stayed April 2009
Lancashire
Reviewed April 21, 2009

Stayed at this hotel 25/3/2009 This is not a 5 star hotel more like 3 star. We enjoyed ourstay but the bar in our room we did have to ring reception every 2 days to remind them that the fridge needed re-filling. The entertainment was poor in the evening.
Monster Safari - very good trip would recommend Dophin trip a rip off and staff in ocean world very rude - Lancashire England

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
#61 of 110 in Punta Cana
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 41 in Puerto Plata

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!