“Honest review”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed as a couple over the easter holidays as a late getaway for 15 nights, and we had such a lovely time.

The Positives:
Lovely setting, short transfer, lovely staff, Clean hotel

The Negatives:
Repetitive food, dirty beach, beach isn't ideal for swimming or snorkelling (too rough), a port is being built in the sea which ruined the sea views, the pool needs cleaning more regularly, more should be done to stop the mosquitoes (ie: smoke) - Oh and don't get stuck in the sea once the jet ski's pack up, because no one is around to save you!! (No Joke)

Even though i have negatives it didn't hinder the holiday at all. For example - even though the buffet food was repetitive, you can book the Al a carte restaurants as many times as you like. It is good if you're a fish eater, there was fresh fish most nights and also salmon and sushi on the salad bar. You can protect yourself against mosquito bites and the mountains in the distance are pretty enough to be able to ignore the sight of construction work, we had no problem at all with the noise and our room was at the back by the sea too. The staff are absolutely great. Eduardo (drinky drinky), Soto, Muriel were my fave bar staff, and the entertinment team were hilarious.
We spent most of our time by the pool, the beach was too dirty for our liking and the wasps and ants put us off. I like to snorkel but my husband told me he couldn't see any fish when he went, and you can't swim too far out because the under current is too strong. All the time we were there the reg flag was up, i can't imagine they take it doing to be honest. But being by the pool was fine by us.

Overall, a fab holiday and I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,436)

Reviewed May 7, 2014

We were a little weary upon arrival, there was not hot water, no AC and the only food we could find had flies all over it, everything was quickly remedied and we found the main Buffett which had an amazing assortment of fresh food for every meal, drinks as expected were all unrecognizable brands but the bartenders were friendly and would make anything u wanted, beautiful beach, plenty of beach and pool chairs, overall a great time

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Travelling on a 9 hour flight from the Uk I could not wait to get to our hotel which we booked through Thomson's.
Upon getting to hotel I was not dissapointed, the hotel looks lovely the lobby the welcome drinks etc.
We got to our room which was lovely, very clean our maid did a wonderful job each and every day.
The food was lovely, and always plenty.
Pools again seemed clean enough as was the beach.

So why have I only rated it three I hear you say?
Well for one, our rep from thomsons both were lovely but could hardley understand what I was trying to say and what I needed which on a few occasions I needed his help, due to illness.
The hotel food become tiresome after two weeks of the same stuff.
The steak house and italian are meant to be open every night (as per brochure) we found that this was not the case, it changed without warning to carribean night!
The locals would flood the area on friday nights and stay there until sunday or monday, whilst pushing the hotel guests around and stealing items from them whilst at the pool.
The food was always catered, to the spanish taste really not much variety.
The hotel in the shop, was expensive and they will rip you off, if you let them, so pay in their local currency.
The 24 hour all inclusive was a bar and some sandwiches wrapped in clingfilm from dinner.

2  Thank Yorkshiremillers
Reviewed May 6, 2014

First off the resort was great. Plenty of pool chairs and beach chairs available through out the day, you really didn't have to rush down to secure a lounger. Maybe it wasn't as busy because of the time we were there (april 27-may 4th). When we arrived we didn't even have to check in - they had a table with envelopes and keys all ready to go. That was nice after such a long travelling day. The rooms were clean, yes the beds sucked but you are so tired at the end of the day it doesn't matter. There is no iron in the room but we just hung our clothes in the bathroom and let the steam do the job. The RIU is a European resort so expect some European food - which North American's will complain about, but we were able to find something everyday to eat. I do however wish there was a beach grill. Both a la cartes were good as well - a full buffet before your meal! We walked over to the Merengue for buffet supper one night as - different food selection there, its worth the 2 minute walk over to check out. The beach is great - plenty of shade. The drinks were good but during our stay we had one person come up to us for beach service and then we didn't see them the rest of the trip which was a bummer. Ample shops between the two resorts but we never ended up going in any but a jewelry store, because the people come out and really harass you to go in their stores. Would prefer a much quieter shopping trip and would have went into more stores if people didn't harass us. There are 2 good gifts shops at the Merengue, much better than the Bachata gift shop. There is construction on the one side - but I only heard 2 blasts the whole time I was there. When the cruise line does come in - it will probably become more busier. The kids are is small and not really worth it. We travelled with another couple and our 4 year old who just hung out at the beach with us.

Here is my problem with the resort. And it lies with the manager Frederic. The beach is lovely but lots of reefs and corals further out in the water. The tide and undercurrent is extremely strong. There are no signs warning people not to go out that far and no buoys. Only signs that there is no lifeguard on duty. Earlier in the day we helped in a rescue a couple who decided to go out in that area and could not get back in. Later that day on our way to dinner we walked past the manager and several other employees standing on the beach. It was about dusk at this time and the sun was starting to set. We could see several people past the reef/coral who were stuck in the tide and could not make it back in. Again, more people were stuck in the current. When we asked the manager why he wasn't doing anything he said "I have already lost an employee out there (drowned) and I'm going to make an example of them" . We were horrified. I immediately got the life ring that was hanging up about 10 feet away from the manager who was just watching people drown and walked into the water. My husband and our friend who was travelling with us ran down the beach to see if the water sports area was still open to see if someone could come with a kayak (the kayak had helped in the rescue that happened earlier in the day) or a jet ski. I realized we needed more life rings when I was in the water so I yelled onto the beach for the manager to go round up some more so we could tie them together and he said "no they are for the pool area". Thankfully a young British man and my husband ran and got more life rings. There was a women screaming and crying on the beach and the manager did nothing. We were able to tie them together to make a much longer ring. I asked for a life jacket and the manager again said "no". This time is was almost completely dark and with no lights I asked the manager if he had flashlights - he again said no - he "didn't want to draw attention to the beach". The young British man who was neck deep in water with me said they had lit up the back for a party the week before so he there was no excuse about why he couldn't get lighting to aid in the rescue. At this time a worker from the resort stripped his clothes swam out to us grabbed the end of the life ring and continued swimming to my amazement out to the people. Unfortunately he ended up letting go of the life ring due and himself was stranded/now treading water and could not swim back in because of the currents and undertow (this is why we needed a life jacket but were denied by the manager). Meanwhile during all this the manager is standing on the beach doing nothing - guests are tying the extra ropes to the life rings and 4 of us are in neck deep water. Luckily a jet ski from the other beach made it over and was able to help bring the people in. Although that was a very dangerous situation because it was pitch black at the time. When I made it back to the beach I asked the manager why he didnt do anything and he said "i can't swim". The guy didnt even get his pants wet. If you can't swim fine - at least help organize a rescue instead of sitting on the beach. Oh I guess he did help because when it got pitch black he held up his phone for light. He clearly doesn't care about his staff or his guests. The RIU should be completely ashamed to have him as a manager, he is a huge liability and if anything had of happened to the people and they had of drowned he and the resort would have been at great fault for his lack of complete care.. He needs to start implementing some safety protocols for the this. If at the very least put a sign up saying to stay away from the coral/reef area. Some buoys BEFORE the coral as well would be helpful. I would also be ashamed if I was one of the 70 or so people who ended up just standing on the beach and decided to take pictures of people drowning instead of helping. I am not sure of the workers name who swam out after the guests in order to save them but they should be commended, especially the man who swam out in the dark but let go of the life ring and who cut up his feet and body badly on the coral. Peoples actual lives are at stake here and the manager Frederic instead decided to "make an example of them"

Also - the people across from us in our building had their bag stolen including their keys. When the woman was showering, while her daughter slept on the bed someone entered her room and attempted to get in the safe and was startled that someone was actually in the room. The security took over an hour to get to the room - because he had to be called in from home.

Again - the manager of RIU BAchata, Frederic (Steid?) does not care about the guests. I can't wait to see his comments on how he did everything in his power to help, there are safety protocols and that we were at fault. I can't even blame a language barrier on this situation because Frederic spoke perfect English.

Room Tip: We were in Building 400 - centrally located.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
11  Thank Kim G
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

So we went over easter break and it was busy but not too busy. Each weekend the locals are able to come in cheaply and stay for the weekend and eat, they are quite lively but nothing too bad.
The thomsons rep dindo is fab he was ALWAYS there and helped out if needed and helped us to find a good excursion to do even though I was 5 months pregnant. We did the catamaran and the dolphin experience at ocean world which was amazing and well worth the money it was the cheapest dolphin experience and the most hands on.
The food is pretty bland and repetative but there is always something slightly different and you can always go to the restaurants (I reccommend the carribean for its jerk chicken and italian for the steak) the staff are always polite and nice even thought the buffet is busy. The bar staff are great muriel and mr drinky drinky are lovely.
The entertainment staff are great individuals the games around the pool are you normal type of games eg mini golf, darts aquaaerobics ect but its fun and gets you up off your seat. Gigi is my favourite he is such a character but also laptop, didi, spaghetty and chucky make the day a bit of fun. The evening entertainment I cant really comment on as I didnt see much the heat of the day wiped me out but I did see the michael jackson tribute act and that was great.
The room was basic but lovely. Minibar restocked every 2 days with 2 beer, 2 pepsi, 2 soda and a water but if you leave 2 dollars and a note they will restock your fridge fully....if its not empty just hide sone of your drinks and they will still restock it.
The only complaints I have is that people from the bachata pay more for the "luxury" of the pool bar and restaurants ect but people from the merengue pay less and can use our facilities too....it should be you pay less you cant use all 3 complexes....you pay more and you can use all 3.....also if you booked late on this with thomsons the prices were literally half price some people were paying 600 each for a 2 week break which is fustrating when you pay in advance and the holiday was nearly 3k
Would I return here??? Possibly I never usually go back to a resort more than once but I think I would go back again when im not pregnant to do more excursions and stay up later to experience the resort and complex a bit more.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dani_uk61
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

This was a fantastic holiday with great accommodation and staff!! The hotel was clean and tidy, maids came in the rooms everyday, there was even a guy swimming round the pool every morning making sure it was clean scrubbing the edges!! The food was good I would not say it was 4/5 star but it was still more than ok and plenty of choice to. The thomson reps where great very helpful and so friendly!! The mini bar in the room was a nice extra and got refilled every other day, we did run out of water one day but just went to reception and they have us an extra one no problem!! I would recommend and I would return myself!!!

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Shaun R
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Went as a couple and had a wonderful time in Riu Bachata. Really confused at all the bad reviews of this place before we went as I was very impressed by the resort and sunwing itself.
PRO's
1. Great Food- Great Selection every day and the breakfast was amazing
2. The hotel and the grounds were absolutely spotless
3. Staff were so friendly , they really made the holiday.
4. Beach was amazing and the water was so clear.
Cons
1. Would have liked waiters on the Beach to serve us drinks instead of always having to go to the Bar
2. Not really a five star resort when you have to rent an iron
3. Entertainment after the nightly show was poor and the disco on the resort was very bad. I was shocked you had to pay for drinks there.

Overall I would still highly recommend this resort

Room Tip: Definitely make it for breakfast before ten it is worth the early wake up.
1  Thank hegarty147