First the good: Hotel is spotless, lovely grounds and very good staff.
The so -so: food is more than just edible, but is rather repetitive - one week of it is more than enough. As in every hot country I have ever been to, desserts are completely tasteless (jelly and ice cream good though). Main buffet is a bit of a mad scramble. It is quite badly designed in that diners move at a snails pace round one long counter, canteen style, even though there is a second buffet counter with a smaller selection on the other side of the dining room. Food in the two a la cartes is pretty poor to be honest, but they make a change from the main buffet. The beach is very shady, which might be ideal for sun-sensitive folk. Over Christmas the hotel was extremely busy with lots of local arrivals, but they caused absolutley no issues whatsoever, unlike the bloke who was very keen that we all knew how keen he is on reggae by having it blasting out of his backpack as he strolled around. The animation team were a lot less pushy than at other places I have been to.
The bad: at 5 am on New Year's Eve morning the whole hotel was woken up by tremendous and earth shattering rhythmic banking. Yes the pile driver in the next bay was at work. Not only is the construction noise bad enough, but I cannot imagine the eventual cruise liner dock can do anything other than ruin the hotel. Cruise ships are massive - I can't see how their coming and going will do the Bachata beach any good. Ok we were only disturbed this noise on our last morning, but trust me, it is so loud you won't be able to ignore it.
Sorry if this review is too negative; overall we did have a nice holiday. But: I've been to better all-inclusives (in the DR) and for me the cruise liner dock is a deal breaker, whether its being built or (possibly even worse?) when it is finished.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Inside the Riu Resort, along with ClubHotels Riu Merengue and Riu Mambo * Main building plus 1 and 2-story bungalows * Surrounded by 50,000 m2 of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 25 m / 81 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 500 m / 1650 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, TravelUp, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Orbitz, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Bachata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Hotel
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Riu Bachata Dominican Republic
- Riu Puerto Plata
- Bachata Riu
- Club Hotel Riu Bachata