I want to begin this review by saying that our family of four (children aged 12 and 9) would normally come in and out of a hotel or resort without one issue or concern. We can overlook mistakes or situations beyond the control of the hotel and we are patient and polite and understanding.
Having said all of that...what we encountered at the Riu Bachata was the worst example of a well-respected hotel chain selling out to make a quick profit by opening their doors to the locals. As other reviewers have said, it is their country so you have to deal with it. In any of our tours off the resort the people of DR were pleasant and genuinely a delight to meet. However, you put them in an all inclusive resort and one would think they have never seen food or drink before. The adult behaviour was bad enough, but the behaviour of the unattended children made for a miserable experience in the pool, the restaurants, the entertainment stage and in the hallways of the unit we were staying in. The Riu Bachata does NOT offer anything close to a 4 or 5 star experience due to their marketing to locals. If you have not experienced it you cannot fathom what it is like from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon.
Thank goodness the manager of the hotel opened a third pool during our stay that also offered a limited buffet for lunch. We were told personally at our dinner table on Friday night that this area would be for "internationals only". CLEARLY the management knows that the main pools and buffets are unbearable. This third option was relaxing, but I was left wondering why someone staying for a week had to walk the entire length of the complex to be able to sit without having someone jumping over them or stealing their belongings.
The manager (Fredrick I believe) worked his tail off to keep things under control but there were no other security staff even trying to tone down the rude behaviour.
We have stayed as a couple in a Riu in Mexico and Aruba. We THOUGHT this would be a family friendly trip where our kids could relax and have fun so we decided to make it a family holiday. It was not a great experience for us as a family and other guests told us to watch our NINE YEAR OLD daughter because their young daughters were accosted. The kids club was non-existent and the behaviour of the children in the main pool was enough to intimidate even the most courageous of kids.
In short, if you have to do Puerto Plata do NOT stay at either Riu. I went into this with an open mind and forewarned about the local invasion, but nothing could prepare our family for what we saw. It is literally spring break every weekend...except here the spring break adults leave their kids to run wild while they drink. We are no longer loyal Riu customers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Inside the Riu Resort, along with ClubHotels Riu Merengue and Riu Mambo * Main building plus 1 and 2-story bungalows * Surrounded by 50,000 m2 of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 25 m / 81 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 500 m / 1650 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Bachata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Hotel
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Riu Bachata Dominican Republic
- Riu Puerto Plata
- Bachata Riu
- Club Hotel Riu Bachata