“Great Get Away...”

Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
New York City, New York
“Great Get Away...”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I wanted to find something quick and reasonable for a weekend get away.
The hotel is lovely, and the staff very friendly and obliging.
The rooms were spotless.
The food was good with plenty of variety.
When Juan Carlos, the valet, opened the curtains in my room so I could see the amazing view, my jaw dropped. It was stunning!
My only complaint was the bed. Very uncomfortable, and because of the liner under the sheets, they crinkled and cracked every time you moved.
Overall, I have to say I enjoyed the resort, and I would be happy to return.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 1. We had a view of the sea, and the bay. Breathtaking! The photos the hote...
2 Thank MichaelBNYC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,037)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Kent
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Having previously visited the hotel five years ago we were looking forward to returning to celebrate our wedding anniversary and found that the hotel had changed little and it was how we remembered it. The accommodation is spacious and clean although the beds can be a little hard, the pool areas are great and the beach although criticised by some is a lovely soft sanded beach where we spent much of our time. The staff are friendly and a real credit to the hotel, nothing is too much trouble and they greet you throughout your stay with wonderful smiles and are a real asset to the hotel. The food is normally plentiful and varied, catering for most peoples tastes, We spent our special evening at the steak house and were treated so well and made to feel really special with a cake and a serenade at the table...fantastic! Now the down side...the hotel has a policy of allowing the local community to stay from Friday afternoons until Sunday tea time which has been mentioned by other visitors on this site already. We found this to be a real problem on this visit taking into account we choose to come away when young children are at school and we are looking for a quiet relaxing location which this resort offers until the weekend. The locals almost take over the pool area which resembles Margate on a bank holiday and the restaurant is absolutely packed out at meal times with the food almost stripped bare. Decorum and manners do not exist and trying to get a drink at the bar it a very patient wait where the locals expect to be served first! My advice is chose a trip at the weekend or use the Steak bar or the adjoining hotels on the site if you want peace and quiet because the hotel itself is well worth the visit a really lovely place to relax during the week. One last positive note to end we met some lovely Canadians especially those from PEI which I found out is Prince Edward Island, a wonderful nation of fun loving friendly people who really helped make our holiday thank you all

Room Tip: Blocks 600 to 500 area away from the main entertainment area and much quieter at night time
3 Thank Trevor1958
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was our first wary at Riu Bacahata and we had a wonderful time. We travelled with 2 other couples who had been there before.
The resort is beautiful and extremely clean. There are always people milling about cleaning up the grounds, buildings and tables.
The staff are all very friendly. I didn't hang out at any of the bars so can't speak to any individuals but was always served quickly and kindly when I did stop for a drink.
We ate at the steakhouse once and our waiter was wonderful. Kudos to Genoa (pronounced Hey-now).
We ate all other meals at the main restaurant and I can not speak highly enough of Nunez and Ramon. They looked after our every need and by the second evening had our drinks memorized and to the table as we were sitting down. We aren't picky people and could always find something tasty. Watch out for the passion fruit! It is lovely to look at but is so sour it makes ya pucker. We had a good laugh watching people try it.
The restaurants manager,Freddy always stopped to say high but never seemed to be listening to any reply he received And was off to the next table.
The resort manager, Fredeich, was also stopping by nightly and seemed to remember every night what had been discussed the night before. What a lovely man.
The beach is rocky but water shoes solves that. Please pay attention to the flags. Red flag means water is unsafe. There is a coral reef off the beef and a couple who ignored the flags were taken by a rip tide past the reef. Another guest made a rescue attempt and all three had to be saved by a local man with a jet ski. It could have easily become a tragedy. The beach at the far right of the riu group if resorts always has calm water though if you don't mind the walk.

We did one excursion through sunwing, the catamaran and snorkelling trip. Our first time snorkelling and I'm hooked! We also took 2 separate tours, one if the city and one if the country. Both tours cost $80 each for our entire group not individual cost. The sunwing tours would have cost $80 each. Our tour guide Ruffo is very knowledgeable and a great guy. Driving down there is an experience in and of itself but we never felt unsafe with Ruffo and his driver.
As much as I had a great time, I think next time I will try to go to Sosua for more snorkelling opportunities.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank BooMcq
Summerside, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I love putting on a shirt that I wore while here, because even after I washed it, all I can smell Dominican, and for a secod or two, i get to go back there and experience the same peace and harmony I felt in that week. After the first night, I was already writing my review to tell the naysayers in previous reviews that thier lives must be miserable if they didn't find the entire experience at the Bachata/merengue sheer bliss. I cannot comprehend how anyone found anything negative to say about thier experience here.
I have been a server for over 7 yrs now and worked at a hotel for 5 and I went back to work with a feeling of shame, knowing that we weren't even a percentage of the calibre of service that I recieved at the riu. EVERY staff member, from the housekeeping to the grounds keeper to the general manager of the resort said "hola" EACH AND EVERY time they walked by, usually followed by a high five or fist bump. Everyone smiled, everyone danced, everyone flirted and laughed, it was like being surrounded by friends all the time.
The property was pristine. Clean, neat, fresh...if you dropped a piece of food or left a drink sitting, somebody would be there to pick it up within seconds. The pool was clean and warm and beautiful every day. There was always loungers by the pool and by the beach and if you couldnt find one where you wanted to be, you just moved one...and if you appeared to be struggling at all, some member of the staff would be there to help you.
The animation team....i cannot even begin to tell how fantastic they are! Maria, sexy face, shaggy, gigi, braids....ack all of them. They were hilarious, talented, sweet and some of the hardest workers I have ever seen. 14 hour days people!!! in 35 degree weather. And ALWAYS smiling.
The food....holy crap I dont know how anyone can complain or say its repetative. THERE IS MILES of food and 3 different restuarants with something to eat at any given time. Yes there is alot of the same stuf....but there is also alot of different stuff. AND LOTS OF IT. I tried OCTOPUS and GOAT for crying out loud. And the service staff OMG! It was my husbands birthday while we were there...i asked for a candle for a piece of cake for him. Next thing I knew EVERY member of the service and kitchen was at our table with noise makers, drums and an entire cake with that candle I asked for singing happy birthday in english and spanish. after they were finished singing, most of the staff stayed to shake my husbands hand or hug him and say congradulations. Amazing.
This was our first tip EVER and I fear that no other location is going to compare to this trip. we had an oceanview room with a balcony on the second floor and every morning we would wake up to the sunshine and we would just sit and absorb the beauty of the water, the mountains and the general aura of tranquility that this place vibrates with. Then at night, we would put our dancing shoes on and party it up as if we werent 30 somethings with two kids and jobs....amazing break from reality and we will be loyal visitors for years to come! Gracias!!!!

Room Tip: we were in the 100's which is far from everything but serene and beautiful. worth the walk, woul...
5 Thank jessgoat
Halifax
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Travelled with family group. Staff were terrific, from easy check in, animation team, buffet and bar staff and management. Resort is clean, gardeners grooming daily. The buffet was great, and for quick bite, the snack bar offered pizza, burgers, fries etc. disappointed the small beach area closed its beach bar and removed chairs, but still enjoyed it for a swim, and privacy. Our 3rd visit, and plan to return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pearlstravels
Nova Scotia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We returned to the RIU Bachata for a second time. We spent two weeks there, arriving on April 9th, 2013. This time our daughter and her boyfriend joined us for one of the two weeks. As per our previous stay we were absolutely overwhelmed by the friendliness of the staff. They have the best staff of any of the resorts that we have stayed at. Our room was clean, the food was great, the pools were beautiful, but the staff were excellent. Much thanks to the staff of the Italian a la carte who helped to make our 29th Wedding Anniversary Celebration so special. They most certainly went above and beyond to make that a magical evening. The bar staff are second to none, Alejandro, Nilsen, Tullie, Ricky, Julio and the two female bartenders (whose names I unfortunately can not remember) all work so hard to make guests feel welcome. We ate on the verandah each day and Nune and Ramone looked after us at each meal with smiles and excellent service. The grounds keeper work endlessly to keep the resort spotless. .
My only complaint would be with our timing. We booked during the Easter weekend, and that was a BIG mistake. The resort was over run with local residents for the weekend. It's not that they shouldn't be allowed, it's just that there were sooooo many people jammed together for the weekend, that it was not at all relaxing. The Dominican's definitely have a different view on waiting your turn in line, and what we were refer to as Westernized manners. As a Canadian, I found it hard to jostle for space. The sheer number of small children in the Adult bar pool made it unpleasant. Water was splashed into your drink before you could even taste it. The children were largely unsupervised and the adults were a little more pushy than I was comfortable with. I would expect, that at a 5 star resort, the children would be in the sports pool, away from drunken adults and alcohol. That sadly was NOT the case. However, once the weekend was over, and things returned to normal, we enjoyed our stay immensely! I would highly recommend this resort. I will definitely return again, sometime in the future (just not on a holiday weekend!)

Room Tip: I would suggest a room on the second floor or higher, as some of the rooms on the bottom floor smell...
2 Thank LUVS2TRAVELNOW
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I'll start off by saying this resort is very well looked after and the grounds are spotless.
Check in was a breeze and we set off to find our Ocean view room, or so we had booked.
Our view of the ocean was through a side window and between two other buildings.
I complained to the front desk and was told that this was considered an ocean view at this resort.
I don't think so. So off to the lobby I went to argue my interpretation of an ocean view . I was told nothing else was available and to check back in the morning .So we spent the night in the room they assigned. I might add at this point what they call air conditioning was laughable. We did finally get a new room with our ocean view at 3pm the next day . I asked for the porter to come move our bags but he never showed so I moved them myself from 3rd floor to 3rd floor. The view from the new room was awesome though , building 1.
Food was good for the first few days but became very repetitive and we were glad to be only booked for one week. I think Wednesday is their survey day so everything was top notch that day and fell back to average every day after. They hand the surveys out at dinner and I had marked "good" on it for the dining room service and whilst I was up getting some food the waiter became very annoyed with my wife and had her change the card to say " very good".
The beach was as everyone has said very rocky and tree covered but we always found shade or sun. It is better down closer to Riu Merengue side.
We went on the Outback Safari and had the time of our lives . I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for building 1,3 or 5 fro Ocean view.
3 Thank Birdman53
#9 of 39 in Puerto Plata
Ocean Blue & Sand
Ocean Blue & Sand
#14 of 26 in Bavaro

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!