We recently returned from the Riu Bachata, having stayed for 7 days from March 5th - 12th with Sunwing. My wife and I travelled with two of my friends from work and their wives.
Upon arrival the party began! We were given drinks, handed an envelope with our room key, safe key/lock and a few other pieces of information and we were off to our rooms where our luggage was transported by our Sunwing rep. One thing we loved was that the staff kept saying "hola, welcome home!"
Our room was nice, clean, modern, pretty much spot on with what i had read in other reviews (hard pillows, only one blanket on the bed...we asked for another blanket... we got it within minutes, two double beds pushed together.) But we weren't on vacation to stay in our room and sleep. You can nitpick all you want but if you want a bed like your own then stay at home.
Given this was our first all inclusive we quickly decided after changing into our shorts to indulge in the many bars starting with the one at the main lobby which we called "Soto" due to one of our favorite bartenders name. On day one we walked through the entire Riu complex including the Merengue and Gardens where we stopped off for drinks at the various bars spreadout throughout the 3 resorts which you are welcome to use. The beer is Presidente which is good but we were happy to down a Corona when we left the resort. There is always a variety of slushy drinks each day which you can't go wrong with, though you do need to inform the bartenders to add more rum/liqour if you are in it for a good time.
Throughout the week we split our time between the beach and the pool bar. The beach is better than what I expected due to some reviews I had read, however near the water there is a lot of coral due to the ridges of reef 100m or so from shore. This did not hinder anyone from using the beach...the sand is nice and the trees add an authentic feel to the beaches while there is plenty of sunny areas to sunbath.
We enjoyed the shows at night...some nights maybe too much! Thanks to my friends I was even part of the Michael Jackson dance competition which I ended up winning. (I had an unfair advantage)
The show area one of them many great place to meet new people...however we met some amazing people at the pool bar (party central) and the beach volleyball courts. We met people from Manchester, Boston, PEI, Russia and even some folks from the same hometown as us. This was a key ingredient to making this trip special...diversity.
As noted in many other reviews the grounds are amazing...never stop working. We took beers from our mini bars and handed them out to the workers to show some appreciation which they loved.
We found there is always something to do here but it is what you make it. I'm sure some of the older people were annoyed with our drunken banter while others would laugh along or at us. The animation teams keep people moving all day which is impressive because some/most of them are involved in the nightly shows and seem to never get a rest. The favourite of the group was Gigi! This dude should be a back up dancer for Lady Gaga or something...he's always dancing even on the beach volleyball court (which don't let the dancing fool you...He's a wicked ball player) We met countless others Scuby, Skinny, Tequila (Merengue) to name a few.
We did the Tip Top catamaran (saw dolphins and a whale), Girls went horse back riding...us guys went on an ATV tour. People off the resort are very welcoming and friendly...there is no need to be afraid to leave the resort.
By the end of the week we were all sad to see it come to an end...The food, the drinks, the beach, the dancing and our new friends we will greatly miss. If you are a new traveller and looking for a fun, nice place... then this the place for you!
Riu Bachata 2013
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Inside the Riu Resort, along with ClubHotels Riu Merengue and Riu Mambo * Main building plus 1 and 2-story bungalows * Surrounded by 50,000 m2 of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 25 m / 81 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 500 m / 1650 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Bachata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Hotel
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Riu Bachata Dominican Republic
- Riu Puerto Plata
- Bachata Riu
- Club Hotel Riu Bachata