“Not up to riu standards”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed in this hotel beginning of march started of with not liking the room asked to change was told cant till next day loades of Mosquitos in room asked to have the room sprayed 4 times till they actually came bought some room spray ourselves cost a fortune advis to take a plug in Mosquitos eradicator reception staff not at all obliging everything was to much trouble bar staff very good especially angel at the pool bar food same old as in most all inc hotels Rained a couple of days manager going round with ho chocolate brandy teas coffee nice touch all in all good experience but certainly very dated and yes you can smell the sewers but after all you are on holiday

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jilly12
Write a ReviewReviews (5,556)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I have done many all inclusive vacations, but this was the first with our kids. Please keep in mind they are all teenagers now! The rooms were very nice and were kept very clean. We never had any problem with hot water running out. The mini bar was stocked up every other day- no problems! Our only complaint was that the rooms had two double beds put together to form a king bed. Good for the kids room, not as good for us- but ok. They brought a single bed into our kids room so they didn't have to share a bed- awesome!
The buffet was fairly good- typical for a five star all inclusive. Food was fresh and was frequently restocked. Bacon didn't seem to be out every morning, but thats ok. Nice fresh omelettes at two separate stations. Coffee and tea were very good. Lunch buffet was good as well. Note that their hamburgers were always red in the middle no matter how well they were cooked. This just seemed to be the colour of the beef as no one got sick from eating them. As a matter of fact, none of us had any problems from all the meals we ate- not in the slightest! Dinner at the buffet was pretty good, more of the same every night. We ate a la carte three times during our stay. Steakhouse twice and Italian once. The steakhouse was surprisingly good. Steaks were cooked perfectly (medium rare). Nice atmosphere and good service. The Italian was more of the same, but the food wasn't quite as good. Still very good for an all inclusive resort. I find it funny that people think they are going to get a meal comparable to a five star restaurant back home- its just not going to happen. Overall good food experiences!
The drinks served at the resort were fairly good. We have had better but these were fairly close. No worries about watered down drinks here. They put lots of alcohol in each drink. When drinking rum, be sure to ask for Brugal. This is the premium rum made in the Dominican Republic.
The pools were fun and didn't seem to over crowded. The pool bar was nice and was a good place to meet new people. Be sure to put your towel out with a book on a lounge chair early in the morning if you would like to choose your spot by the pool. We sometimes went later in the afternoon and would find some chairs, just not five together. Going down to the ocean was nice as well. The beach was very long so finding a spot never seemed to be a problem. Be sure to bring water shoes as there is lots of rocks in the water. You have to walk further down to find a safe swimming area. I went out snorkelling one day and found out why you should only swim in the designated area. There are lots of sea urchin's in the water. Never heard of anyone having any problems with them, but I wasn't taking any chances. Be sure to bring a frisbee and a water football with you- always fun. Don't expect nice white sand beaches here. Definitely not the nicest ocean front property we have been to (beach wise). It was however well maintained and was always being cleaned during the day. We took the Kayaks out and they were lots of fun. Just be careful, jumping waves is lots of fun, but if you get knocked out it is fairly hard to get back into!
We did some excursions while we were there. First we took a taxi into the town to do some shopping. Our driver took us on a scenic tour of the town, stopping at many different places so we could take some photos. He even brought us to the Dominican version of Walmart. We needed more sunscreen and a few other supplies- more reasonable then at the resort. He only charged us $40 for our group of five. We gave him a $8 bottle of rum and a $10 tip. Would definitely recommend doing this. Cheaper and more fun then doing a group tour. My son and I tried doing a fishing charter. We got skunked and that isn't much fun. But that happens sometimes so all is good. My wife and other two kids did the safari. They had lots of fun and got lots of pictures. Our last excursion was supposed to be the catamaran. This was booked through Sunwing. We knew a group that wanted to join the excursion but were told there was no room as only 60 people were to go on. We turned up and were surprised by all the people showing up. My wife counted over 80 people (us included). There really wasn't much room on the boat as more and more people kept boarding. My wife questioned the staff why there was so many people. He said the resorts kept sending more and more people. He insisted that the boat could hold 100 people. We decided it wasn't worth it and asked to be brought back to the resort. He told us he would bet a taxi and said we would be refunded. Our Sunwing Rep gave us a little hassle when we got back, but then worked with us. We changed over to the two person dune buggies. This ended up being a ton of fun- highly recommend doing this. Bring old clothes and wear your water shoes. We went through lots of mud and were covered top to bottom.
Overall this was a very good trip for our family. I would recommend this resort to friends and family. Weather was 27-30 every day. It rained on our final day, but the rest was pure sunshine. Hope this review helps.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank VDVSETS
Reviewed March 14, 2013

great place for a family vacation, workers are very friendly.Manager Fredrick was awesom he spoke to my friends and played with our sons everyday. He checked on us to make sure everything was ok and to see if we needed anything. Has a miniture bar in room and was well stock. I recommend to stay at the Rui Bachata, great food awesom view

2  Thank troy s
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Great get away with little to no complaints.
Pros: Check in was a breeze! Place was beautiful, clean and well maintained. The grounds crew are constantly cleaning, clipping, painting or emptying garbages. I would rate it as a 3.5 - 4 star, food was really good, we could always find something to eat and it had a great variety. We only ate at the Steakhouse ala carte, it was good. Prime Rib was delicious. Stole some of my hubby's. Rooms were a little dated but clean and our room locations were perfect. We were all (group of 11) in building 9, close to the theatre and 24 hour bar. I wouldn't recommend this location if you want to be asleep before 10.
Loved having the 2 resorts (Merengue and Bachata) side by side along the ocean. The Merengue has two resorts, the Garden and the Village, not sure what the difference is between the two but I know the Bachata rooms are bigger than both. There’s a paved pathway along the beach that you can use to access both resorts, it really is pretty, well lit and has restaurants and the disco just off the path. If you didn’t like what was happening at your resort in the evening you could go for a walk and find something else to do. Make sure you pay attention to what the evning entrtainment is because we almost missed the beach party at the Garden, it was FUN.
The beach is much nicer then Tripadvisor reviews led me to believe. I loved the palm trees on it. Shade is a good thing ! You could always find the sun. The animation crew were probably some of the best I‘ve experienced. So full of life and nergy. Make a point of finding GiGi, Tracy and Skinny. Rami booked all of our tours for us, you can find him around the pool throughout the day, went well out of his to accomodate such a large group.

We heard from some locals that Carnival Cruise Lines has bought the property right beside the Bachata, the beach behind the chapel on the point. It’s a little inlet and Carnival will be building a pier, new shops are built and ready to go. The guy said within 2 weeks but I can’t see it happening that quickly. The old shops along the water and the surrounding area are pretty rough looking. I can see the Bachata getting really busy and pricey in the future because of it so if you're thinking of going, now's the time.

CON: The fridge did not get filled up often enough. Three times in total in one week. Makes it tough when you only receive 2 big bottles of water for 2 days when you have to use it to brush your teeth.
You could however go to the front desk and get a bottle if you needed to.

2  Thank Holley D
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at Merengue, but used many of the facilities here so I wanted to make a few comments for anyone who is trying to decide between these resorts. I'd definitley recommend paying a bit extra for Bachata since it has a nicer dining room, pools, etc. However, what I'd really recommend is skipping Puerto Plata altogether and going elsewhere.

Food - The food here was similar to Merengue, but Bachata did have a bit more selection. It was nothing to get excited about but the 4 in our group (ranging in age from 11 to 75) all found something decent to eat. Plus it has a nicer dining room than Merengue with a large patio overlooking the ocean.

Beach - Very rocky and not great for swimming. There are a few sandy areas, but not many. If you enjoy walks on the beach, it is long enough for a decent walk but is very sloped and rocky and you have to walk around the palm trees at high tide since they grow right to the water's edge in some places. The Merengue area of the beach is better than the Bachata, but I'd recommend staying at Bachata (for the better facilities) and just walking a few minutes to the Merengue beach. We had 3 calm water days and 3 red flag days with VERY large waves.

Internet - You get 90 consecutive minutes free per day in the lobby and the connection is ok as long as there aren't too many people using it at the same time. There is also a premium service available at Bachata (but not at Merengue) for a fee although I don't know the details about it. Note that the 90 minutes is per device, so you can use it more if you bring along a smart phone and a laptop, ipod, etc. You can also double your time by going on-line at both Merengue and Bachata (same password for each). While you don't want to spend your whole vacation on-line, this place can get very boring, so you may want to be prepared. If you don't have cell service, download Fongo before you go to make calls over wifi.

Grounds - VERY clean. There is a small army of gardeners and cleaners out every morning raking leaves, touching up paint, etc. It is a pretty place with some beautiful views from the gazebo. It also appears to be quite wheelchair accessible with paved pathways throughout the resort and even right down to the beach, although I don't use one so I can't say for sure, but there were several people using wheelchairs around the resort.

Shopping - There is a shopping street between Bachata and Merengue with several stores. There are also some local shops set up on each end of the beach and there were vendors set up in the hotel lobby one night. However, almost all of these vendors (in every location) were overly aggressive. If you even glance at a necklace, they are putting it around your neck, they'll even hold onto you or block the doorways to prevent you from leaving their shop. In other countries, we enjoy going to local markets and bargaining with vendors, but these people were so annoying (and even intimidating), that we just bought souveneirs in the hotel gift shop.

Casino - If you are bored, you can go to the casino (only open in the evening) but it is a small room with a couple of table games and a few dozen slots (several of which were broken). I saw a few people win money but it isn't an enjoyable atmosphere and shouldn't enter into your decision about whether to go here.

I can't comment on the rooms or entertainment at Bachata since I didn't see them, but I did write a separate review of Merengue with my thoughts on such items.

2  Thank FoodAddictPEI
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had a positive experience from our arrival at the Bachata.
Checkin Sunwing had packages for all of us and we were in our rooms with luggage within ten minutes of arrival but not before the manager placed a cocktail in our hands in the lobby.

The staff were amazing no one hinted for tips but were extremely appreciative when tips were offered. The bars staff never kept you waiting and were very interactive with the guests. No staff person walked by without offering a greeting and assisted with any inquiry, we need an additional blanket and it happened, more El presidente in the refrigerato and there it was.

Dining was good in the buffet, better in the ala carte restaurants particularly amazing the the Italiano.

If we had one suggestions it would be that the wines served and the bars and the restaurants could be improved.

The General manager and gentleman by the man of Frederick was very engaging and listened to any suggestions or concerns.

I love the reviews from the professional critics that insist on adjusting the "star rating" or complaining about the smallest detail I wonder where the heck you stayed.

Highly recommended the beach is typical of other placed in Puerto Plata we prefer the beach in Punta Cana but could never get it at this price. I am a part time travel consultant I talked to many repeat customers and I heard no negative comments. The pool is a bit crowded but with a little persistance we always found chairs by the pool .

Buck Anger
Dunnville, Ontario

Room Tip: Look at the layout and avoid rooms with in two building of the main bar it does tend to get a bit lo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank J3r3my72
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Travelled for the first time to Puerta Plata, and certainly wasn't disappointed. The grounds were beautiful, spotlessly clean. The resturants were great, with lots of choices for even the pickiest of eaters. The staff were amazing, including the Customer Service Manager, the man never rested while he was there, always making the rounds to see if everyone was happy, pleased with the resort. Kudo's for all the employee's at the Bachata. The surrounding area, was breathtaking. Went in the end of Feb, fell in love with the resort and will be returning in November. definately a resort that I'd recommend to anyone that asked.

Room Tip: Was in the 1500 building, kinda in the back, but very quiet, and nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo