“It was OK but not what I expected :(” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Bachata

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #10 of 45 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Dumont, New Jersey
“It was OK but not what I expected :(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The Good:

Im from Santiago and I wanted to give Puerto Plata a rest so I decided to go somewhere near.

The Hotel was full of tourists, there were a lot of activities, place is HUGE [If you dont get a close room you will have to walk a lot!]. Assistants are very polite and nice. The rooms are nice and clean. We had a safety deposit box and drinks in the refrigerator!

The Bad:
There are not many parking for clients, Service on the reception was kind of slow, food was bad [Specially desserts, wine and whisky]. My A/C did not work eventhough I follow the instructions [It was my bad I didnt call the room service, at the end the weather was cool]. Some parts of the beach has a lot of stones and seaweeds. I couldnt enjoy the beach because of that and the weather, it was very windy/cold... but that's not the hotel's fault :)

The show at night was very "SEXUAL". Not appropiate for kids IMHO.

I understand the hotel was full and maybe they were overcapacity. I could go again just to give them a second chance and to visit the Disco in the other Riu Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank krlosRD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (880)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

One of the most impressive all-inclusive locations anywhere. Friendly staff who actually do what they say they will do, everything is very clean, there is always something very good at the buffet and the setting is gorgeous. Only one complaint... the beer is awful, which is silly in a country that has Presidente and Bohemia, both very drinkable brands. Clearly this must be a RIU executive level decision as every local management decision seems very customer focused..

Porters Lake, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is my first time writing a review on TripAdvisor, but I have been to a few resorts. One in Mexico, Cuba, and this is my third time to DR. I had a really bad feeling after booking this resort and then reading the reviews. The travel agent said that it was very nice and that she had been there herself, so I figured that it would be nice.

Yes, the resort itself is very nice and clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I agree with the last review from jessicabaxter_8 about most of the resort.

The beach itself is very lovely with nice soft sand and plenty of loungers. At first you look at all the trees and say oh no I will not get any sun, but you get plenty and you can always just move your lounger, but the trees are nice with you need some shade. It gets very hot on the beach, although there is a nice breeze.

My only complaint is the water. If you are a person that likes to swim in the ocean or snorkel, then you may want to find another place to go. Yes there are some sandy spots, if you want to call it sand, I say it is more of a small peddle. There is way more rock, coral, grass, and sea urchins. Bring your watershoes, although we took ours and my husband still got stung. Went right though the shoe. The water seems to drop of really close to shore and then there are rocks and then all of a sudden you are in ankle deep water and then next you are up to your waste. The are lots of like holes that the urchins are in and you can not see them because the water is very murky and you can not see anything.

If you plan on doing an excursion and you like to snorkel than go to Paradise Island. It costs $94.00 per person. It is an hour and twenty minute drive from resort. You then take a boat ride for twenty minutes and then you truly get to paradise. You stay there for 2 and a half hours with all the alcohol that you want and ham sandwiches and cheese sandwiches, not the two put together, and some fruit. Then you come back and they take you though the Mangrooves and then back for lunch and more alcohol. Very enjoyable day. It is an all day thing.

Did the Fourwheeler excursion also. Booked that from the guys on the beach. For $65.00, for 3 hours it was a good time. Where your watershoes, not your white sneakers for this one, it can get muddy, although we had no rain the whole time we were there. The bikes are a little iffy and a 10 year old boy will give you your driving test to see if you know how to drive a ATV or not. Being Canadian we did, Overall a good time.

The vendors on the beach are not as bad as some of the reviews have said. They all say "Oh, you are my first sale of the day, I give you a good deal, cause I like you" but that is all a part of the trip. If you just say no they will not bother you. One guy even has his hut called WALMART.
If you dont like that kind of thing dont go. You can also go to the Carribean St., there are some stores that charge tax and then there are also so vendors, but they are not as cheap as the ones on the beach.

All in all in was a good trip to relax and get some sun, ok too much sun, because now I am peeling like crazy. But the only reason that I would not go back to this resort is because of the water. It is its only downfall

Last comment, the A la Carte's. The Steakhouse is the snack bar that half of it becomes the A la Carte. They offer you the buffet and then three choices. We had the steak. Not very good.
The Italian one was our favorite. People say that they dont serve Italian, but it is in the buffet. There is lasanga, spaghetti, ceasar salad, etc, Then there is your choice of Salmon, Chicken, or Steak. I had the Chicken and my husband had the steak. It was our best meal the whole time we were there, and it is in its own private room, so you feel like you are actually away from the resort feeling.

Ok, this is my last commet. We to your in building #7, back side and you couldnt hear a thing. Great spot because you are close to everything, mind you it is a small resort so no matter were you are at you will be close to everything.

Hope this helps.

3 Thank Shoregirl68
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We arrived and found a clean, amazing looking hotel set in stunning surroundings with a really friendly atmosphere. The guests during our stay were mostly Canadian and mostly very friendly in fact we made some very good friends both Canadian and American. The staff were constantly busy cleaning. gardening and generaly keeping the place in top condition. The swimming pool is fantastic with a swim up bar and waterfall as well as a water polo area and areas for children to play safely. The entertainment staff are always around the pool and dreaming up games and ways of entertaining.
The first problem we had was with the local sellers in the foyer on our first evening. We were very tired after a full 12 hours of traveling and to get to the main food hall you have to run the gauntlet of these people. They are very pushy and will give you small gifts to ensure you come back after your meal to buy from them. If you do stop to buy they will try to charge extortionate prices. Luckily this only happens once a week on a Thursday evening.
On our fourth day my Partner had the misfortune of slipping on a greasey floor outside our room and damaging her ankle. The onsite Dr came to our room and recommended hospital. He wouldnt do any thing untill we had an insurance claim number which took around two hours. He then examined her ankle and sent us to Puerto Plata by Taxi to the Hospital. The Hospital was quite modern and clean. The staff were friendly and within an hour my Partners ankle had been x rayed, diagnosed as broken, set in a cast and manipulated into a "better position" all this without pain relief.
In our oppinion the hotel were at fault and we let them know this. We were never asked to tell our version of events and allthough not treated badly we certainly were not helped to make the remainder of our stay easier. I had to argue for twenty mins to get the use of the hotel wheelchair.
We had to insist we were moved to a disability room. We had to cancel the excursions we had booked and were looking forward too. We were never officially approached by the management to ask how we were managing. We tried to get an early flight home but to no avail. During our flight home which was far from comfortable we heard of a boy who stood on a sea urchin and was charged $80us to remove the spines. A little girl with an eye infection. Her perents were charge £340 for eyedrops and a Lady with an ear infection charged £200 for ear syringing and drops. Luckily our insurance took care of all our expenses. Insurance is a must wherever you travel
The worst thing was to get back to UK and discover that the ankle wasnt broken and was set in a way that had had hindered the healing process and actually done more damage.We had heard stories that Hospital staff in Dominican Republic had exagerated medical conditions to get more insurance money. Maybe there not just stories. I am sure that if my Partner hadnt hurt herself we would of enjoyed a dream holiday. The Hotel is really nice. The scenery is Stunning and the people are very friendly not just in the Hotel but outside too. Please dont let this stop you going to Dom Rep Just be carefull whilst you there.

Room Tip: Dont take a room in block 8 it is near the main stage and very noisey up to around 01.00am
5 Thank Johno4385
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Right from the extremely quick and smooth check in and through the very fast check out this Resort more than fulfilled all of what we were hoping for, this was our first time to the Dominican after travelling to Cuba the last 2 years and were more than pleased with the staff, rooms and food the only down side is the ignorant European travellers who have little or no consideration for other guests or Staff,they seem to want to treat staff like their personal servants

Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Jeff C
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My two friends and I stayed at the RIU Bachata from February 19th to February 26th 2013 through Sunwing Vacations. The overall experience was a very good one, especially for the prices of the vacation packages. I'll touch on some of the points that made our stay a pleasant one as well of some of the bothersome things that were very few.

We left Halifax (N.S.) airport in the morning on a Sunwing flight bound for Puerto Plata. The planes are chartered and quite small but we made it in around 4 hours flight time. Meal and snacks included. Immigration and security at POP were fine and the bus ride to the resort took around 40 minutes.

The check-in and check-out at the Bachata was the quickest and easiest of any resort or hotel I've ever been to. Our room keys (yes keys, not cards) as well as a key and lock insert for the inroom safe (not digital keypad) and a hotel map were all in envelopes neatly arranged on a table in the lobby when we arrived. The young lady asked for our names, passed us the envelopes and we were off to our rooms. We opted to take our own luggage rather than wait for a porter.

The rooms were a fair size with two double beds either pushed together or apart. My friends and I had requested rooms above the first floor (Bachata buildings are three floors while the Merengue buildings appeared to be all two story buildings) and preferrably two rooms close together. The rooms we were assigned were both first floor and at opposite ends of the complex. We spoke to the front desk people and my friends were reassigned to building 0100 on the third floor while I was told nothing was available as they were full and to check back tomorrow in case something opens up. I've been told this before on other resorts and didn't get my hopes up. My friends had also upgraded to an ocean view room which I didn't feel necessary until I stepped out onto their balcony for the first time. My envy must have been obvious. the 0100 building is at the very end of the complex on an outcropping of land, closest to the gazebo. Look up pictures of the resort and you'll see what I mean. What a view.

The next morning I asked the front desk people if any room openings had come up, hoping to at least get off the ground floor. Please keep in mind that the rooms were also the cleanest I've ever seen on a resort and there were no differences between my ground floor room and my friends' third floor room except for the building location and view. The deskstaff walked around a bit and a manager came over with a clipboard. I awaited the usual "No rooms. Come back tomorrow" but was dumbstruck when she asked my room number, flipped a page on her clipboard and showed me that I had been moved to the same building and floor as my friends. Not only that, but when I went to the room, it was also an ocean view that I wasn't charged any extra for. This had been the best experience with resort staff I had ever encountered hence the longwinded explaination.

In general, all the staff were friendly and warm from the deskstaff to the bar tenders to the room maids to the grounds keepers. All spoke some english and the deskstaff, animation people and bartenders were fluent. They are hardworking and you were given the impression that they genuinely cared about their tasks and your happiness.

The rooms were pretty much the same as I had the opportunity to see four of them while I was there. Inroom safe was standard, liquor dispensers, flatscreen tv, hairdryer and two very, very firm double mattresses. That was my biggest complaint. The mattresses were so firm, I had trouble sleeping as well as the super thin pillows that you had to stack to make a normal sized one. If you mind hard, thin pillows, you may want to bring one from home. That being said, the fourth room we had rented for the last five hours of our stay (our ride to the airport left at 6pm but checkout was at noon so we paid $50 to have a room for an extra 5 hours) had the softest, most comfortable mattresses ever. Another down point with the rooms was the lack of coffee makers. Not a big deal since the resort had coffee machines at the bars. The airconditioning in the rooms seemed insufficient but other couples I had spoken too had called the front desk and they were "repaired" immediately. I think the units may be turned down until someone complains in an effort to save power but who knows?

The food seemed to be hit or miss. Some nights the buffet food was really good and some nights, not so much. The two ala cartes, the Steakhouse and the Italian were ok. The steakhouse offered rib-eye, chicken or lamb I believe. We opted for the ribeye which was thin and mostly grissel but were told the half-chicken was very good. The Italian restaurant's chicken and salmon fillet were equally good.

The beach was your typical Atlantic ocean beach with mostly coarse brown sand. The beach on the Bachata side was canopied by palms and other foliage which offered lots of shade while you lounged in the heat (mid 30's all week). The beach on the Merengue side of the resort was more open for the sun seekers. We had no problems finding loungers anywhere on the beach or at the pools. The wind was very gusty and the water was rough so snorkling was out.

The entertainment was good for a nightly distraction. Not what I would call professional grade dancers but something to watch while you relaxed after supper and had a few drinks. Quite a bit of audience paticipation in some of the shows as well.

We only went on one excursion to Puerto Plata and Sosua Beach. $54 per person and dinner was included. Dinner was the highlight as the food was delicious. With stops at the Brugal rum factory, a fort, a school and the obligatory junk shops we ended at Sosua beach to see more junk shops.

Taxis can also be rented at the resort for four to five hours at a time for around $45 per carload. The more adventurous can take the public bus to town for around $1 each but be prepared to be hounded by street merchants and hustlers. It may be worth it though to shop at one of the town's supermarkets and avoid the junk shops all together. Just remember that you are a visitor and not to put yourself in harm's way.

In summary, the Bacahata's staff is excellent, the rooms are extra clean but showing signs of much use, the food is ok as are the beach and the entertainment. For the price of the vacation, great value for the money. If you're travelling with kids there's lots to keep them occupied. I found lots of other single travellers like myself but mostly couples. There seemed to be more Canadians than any other nationality present which I hadn't found on other resorts. The Bachata is listed as a 5 star resort but my overall impression would be that of a 3.5 star. I hope this review helps anyone considering this resort as a destination. Salud!

• 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Stiggywiggy
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We went on this holiday for the sun and relaxation, and thats what we got. The rooms are a little dated, being the same as they were 8 years ago when we were there, however they were spotlessly clean. The shower was a little quirky and the water pressure did change meaning that the mixer shower haed altered temperature. It did not spoil the holiday,
The beach was clean and shady, if you wanted sun it was there, just move your lounger a few feet, we loved the natural shade on the beach, the sea was lovely, a little rocky for the first couple of feet, after that it was fine, I dont go out above waist level, so the currents were not too bad.
The Staff were excellent, apart from Antonio the waiter who went off ranting at people in spanish about three or four nights before we came home, it did upset our meal that evening. But the rest of the staff did everything they could to keep the resort spotless and to make your stay comfortable. They were very helpful and friendly So Well done to them.
The food was a little hit and miss, although there was plenty of it, sometimes it was good and others not so good, and the bacon dissapeared altogether from breakfast a few days before we came home but saying that we ate well the whole time we were there, we could always find something to eat, and I have food allergies which makes eating away from home a little difficult,
The animation team work really hard with the children and around the pool, they work equally as hard in the evenings, but as we could not work out what was being said due to a poor pa system and shows which were confusing, we did not stay and watch most of them. The band who played so people could dance was a nice touch. All in all we had our relaxing chill out time, we took a couple of trips out too with the holiday company which we enjoyed too. It just broke up our chill time. Take lots of books or a well stocked kindle, although they have a couple of bookshelves where people exchange books, there were never any English books there. Would we go back, probably not,

Room Tip: We were in room 221 and had a fairly quiet location.
1 Thank katzka