ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I just returned home to Nova Scotia today from an amazing week at the Bachata. Before goin on this trip I had read many reviews and was kind of discouraged by all the negativity. Once arriving, any doubt was gone. We had a great week. All of these people complaining must be expecting royal treatment. How can you complain about the weather, the resort doesnt control the weather. The staff are amazing, the bar tenders are comical and you cant help but laugh at this guys as they make goin to the bar entertaining The entertainment staff is very funny and they put on a good show. Many people complain about the shows, but if you want Vegas like shows, than spend alot more money and go to Vegas, otherwise enjoy these talented kids. The food was good, there was always a large variety, so even the picky eaters like myself could find something good to eat. The steak house was very good. The rooms were very clean. The beaches are beautiful, and yes there are some trees covering part of the beach, but after an hour or two in the hot sun, the shade from those trees is very nice. The water is so warm and snorkelling was very nice. The pool area is amazing and you can easily spend a whole day in there with lots to do. I do agree that some of the pool chairs fill up fast, but there are plenty of loungers available at the beach every day. With 1200 people there, I think it ould be hard to have a lounger by the pool for everyone. Fredrick the manager, was always asking people how they were enjoying the trip and if there waws any problems. That was nice to see, except I had no problems to complain about. This is a very nice resort and we will most definately recommend it to others and return our selves. Dont let the negative reviews discourage you, any business, resort or company can not please everyone and will always have some negative talk. Go to the Bachata, enjoy your week and you will want to return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank mcleod20
Write a ReviewReviews (5,436)

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just returned from Riu Bachata--we had nice time there .. I went with 2 friends/spent 10 days there -- the pros --the place is very clean, the grounds are well groomed,the cleaning people do a fantastic job -- our room was cleaned everyday ( when she left it looked like we had not been in the room)( by the way our room looked just like in the pictures)--the food is good (if you can't find something to eat than you are just too picky and shouldn't go anywhere)--the pool area is nice/clean-- the employees are very friendly -the dining staff is great--------the cons -you only get one room key (unless you pay extra) beach is not very good-too many trees/rocks -- you had to walk down further to get any sun- the casino is terrible (old slot machines) would have liked to see more coffee stations in early morning-we liked having coffee in our room in the morning and we had to go to main dining to get it -we also noticed that everyone brought their own drink mugs( I wish we had done that)--also to bring a container for coffee to bring back to room -we took a coffee pot from the dining room (they didn't like that) we held on to it and hid it the room to use everyday ---we would definitely go back --there are lot of activities you can join but our vacation is strictly relaxation(eating/drinking- reading books by the pool )---it was a great value

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank dmc
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Wow. Our third time at Riu Puerto Plata (2 @ Mambo, this one at Bachata). The service, staff, food and beverages just keep getting better. Arrived and left Dominican Republic late thanks to weather in Ontario. From arrival to departure the staff at R Bachata could not have been more helpful. In the seven days we were there we did not experience one instance of difficulty or disappointment with any staff member. Special thanks and commendations to Frederick, Service Manager who seemed to be everywhere checking on the guest satisfaction and comfort. Freddy - Restaurant Manager, all the reception staff we dealt with - too many to name, notable bar staff Roberto, Soto, Patricia, waiter Ramon, Orlando and others whose name are lost to me. Special thanks to Dr. Bell(?) at the Out Patient Clinic and Jessy our personal massage therapist.
As another TripAdvisor reviewer notes "Great holiday at a great place".
We will return to Riu Bachata whenever we visit the Dominican Republic in the future.

Room Tip: We did not have an ocean view but that will be our only upgrade next visit.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank cranmer1
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Location: 40 minutes airport pay 10.00 us per person as soon as you land

Hotel: emailed resort but did not get what we wanted but building block 600 was fine but our view was terrible faced a building

You need to rent 2.00 us for plug and the only give you one room key no card so if you want extra key pay 10.00 us make sure you get a receipt to reimburse you at the end since you need to show that receipt

Food: Found the food same as Cuba except they had coke. Not much difference than going to Cuba only difference puerto plata had beautiful mountains

Staff: excellent so friendly manager always coming around entertainment shows best that I have seen

Weather: beautiful hot and sunny all week

Pool: swim up bar but you need to reserve your seats at 6:30 am since people from all riu resorts use this pool

Beach: disappointed no sandy white beach lots of trees water not clear but you were always able to find a seat

Excursion: We did extreme avalanche includes waterfall, horseback riding and zip lining 127.00 us per person well worth

Leaving; paid 10.00 per hour for late check out since we had a late flight and again 20.00 us required to pay to leave

Would I go again: I Probably would not go to puerto plata again due to the beach

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Immacolita
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was somehow disappointed when we first got at the resort. I was expecting something nicer, with a better decor and the first few minutes I just wanted to leave. It was very hot when we got there and the lobby area only had some ceiling fans that didnt help much, same with the buffet restaurant. And since our room was not ready when we arrived there was no way you could cool off. So we changed into our bikini and went by the beach, where we finally cooled off.
When we finally got into our room, it was a beautiful room, with a great caribbean feel, very warm decor and a great view of the bahia de maymon (the bay of mammon). Towels changed daily and room was always very clean when we got back from the beach.
Their al-carte restaurants had decent to good food, great salad bar, some items were very good and some not worth trying. The service was very good and very friendly at these restaurants.
The main buffet restaurant had a variety of foods, with most of them being repeated over and over again. Foods that stood out were their chicken(organic), rice and beans ( I only tried one kind, with a tomato sauce I believe) and their fresh breads. Than of course there was a lot of foods that I didnt like but my husband a friends found other foods tasty too. I am not saying that the food was the greatest but there was definitely items that you could enjoy.
The service was ok at most times, sometimes the staff wouldnt even pay attention to you and at one particular moment a server was more concerned about taking pictures of a couple than cleaning our table so we could eat.
Their drinks were just like in any other resort, watered down.
As for the smoking, we are smokers and aside from the patio where smoking was allowed, we never smoked or saw anyone smoking inside the buffet restaurant or at the ala-carte restaurants, as someone claimed.
The nightly entertainment was enjoyable, however every night for 1 hour or 2 you had to listen to a children's show, which was more like games for kids rather than a professional show, and considering that there was nothing else to do around that time, I strongly believe that they should have two separate shows. Most of the shows that we watched were very enjoyable, and of course there was a few here and there that weren't the greatest. Their disco, located at Merengue was very nice, great music, latin and english. You had to pay for drinks, but not very expensive.
During our stay there, it rained 4 out of 7 days and the resort did not seem to be prepared for days like that, there was no entertainment at all, pool table was full and you could only find some board games at riu merengue.
On the bright side if the weather was nice you could do snorkelling, and see some great fish right by the shore, which I didnt expect, windsurfing, volleyball and jet ski(40$ for half hour if I remember right). There was other activities offered through the sports centre, catamaran, boat tours etc, for an extra charge.
We did the catamaran and we had a fabulous time.
The beach by bachata was mostly rocky, so I suggest you go by merengue for a swim.
Overall we had a very good time, there was things that could be better but we looked past them, after all for the price you are getting a very good deal.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bole69
Reviewed February 17, 2013

wow what a great place. such a cool country and cool resort. the staff where great the food was great the booze was great. as value for money goes this was the best 2 weeks ive ever had. we meet some cool people. we done 4 day trips Dolphin swim,out back safari,city tour, paradise island and all of them where great value for money

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mark N
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I just came back from a trip at the RIU Bachata and I was extremely disappointed. I was told by two different travel agents that this was a beautiful place and that we would love it.. I gave them my conditions and what I looked for in a resort. my first condition is always a two double beds and smoke free environment . I usually work over hours/week so I need a quiet and comfortable place, with good food and great entertainment. How disappointing! The room was beautiful but had a king size bed and ashtrays. Now that tells me that my request was not met. I went off to the front desk and asked why? They said someone would be over to remove the ashtrays and seperate the king size bed, and I know that's not what I asked for when I booked. Between the smell of humidity and stale smoke this room was not comfortable and definitely not smoke free. Now everywhere we went within the resort except for the indoor buffet, cigar and cigarette smoke was everywhere. No easy breathing meant for my wife who suffers terrible allergies and because of an organ transplant cannot take allergy medication. This meant she would remain mostly in the room. The A la Carte diner that I was finally able to book, had a non-smoking section but because in the evening is considered a steak house the entire place became smoking area! My wife had to walk out after two sips of her wine and asking to be moved with a NO NOT POSSIBLE respond from the server. Many smokers are so in-considerate and rude when asked to please move away it is unbelievable... After a two week unenjoyable holiday we are finally back home and my wife is starting to breath more easily.... Again I will never recommend a RIU resort to any of my family or friends unless they are heavy smokers.... Again all resorts should revise their smoking policies and designate smoking areas for the inconsiderate smokers!.. Our room was a smoking room prior to our arrival and the building had as many as 5 rooms with smokers during our stay. Never accept a room in the 800 block because the bar is right next to you and the noise will prevent you from getting a good nights sleep. the beds are the worst ever. this resort is no more than a 3 star in my book.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bar area, especially the block!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple