“February 10 to 17”

Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“February 10 to 17”
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Location: 40 minutes airport pay 10.00 us per person as soon as you land

Hotel: emailed resort but did not get what we wanted but building block 600 was fine but our view was terrible faced a building

You need to rent 2.00 us for plug and the only give you one room key no card so if you want extra key pay 10.00 us make sure you get a receipt to reimburse you at the end since you need to show that receipt

Food: Found the food same as Cuba except they had coke. Not much difference than going to Cuba only difference puerto plata had beautiful mountains

Staff: excellent so friendly manager always coming around entertainment shows best that I have seen

Weather: beautiful hot and sunny all week

Pool: swim up bar but you need to reserve your seats at 6:30 am since people from all riu resorts use this pool

Beach: disappointed no sandy white beach lots of trees water not clear but you were always able to find a seat

Excursion: We did extreme avalanche includes waterfall, horseback riding and zip lining 127.00 us per person well worth

Leaving; paid 10.00 per hour for late check out since we had a late flight and again 20.00 us required to pay to leave

Would I go again: I Probably would not go to puerto plata again due to the beach

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Immacolita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,027)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was somehow disappointed when we first got at the resort. I was expecting something nicer, with a better decor and the first few minutes I just wanted to leave. It was very hot when we got there and the lobby area only had some ceiling fans that didnt help much, same with the buffet restaurant. And since our room was not ready when we arrived there was no way you could cool off. So we changed into our bikini and went by the beach, where we finally cooled off.
When we finally got into our room, it was a beautiful room, with a great caribbean feel, very warm decor and a great view of the bahia de maymon (the bay of mammon). Towels changed daily and room was always very clean when we got back from the beach.
Their al-carte restaurants had decent to good food, great salad bar, some items were very good and some not worth trying. The service was very good and very friendly at these restaurants.
The main buffet restaurant had a variety of foods, with most of them being repeated over and over again. Foods that stood out were their chicken(organic), rice and beans ( I only tried one kind, with a tomato sauce I believe) and their fresh breads. Than of course there was a lot of foods that I didnt like but my husband a friends found other foods tasty too. I am not saying that the food was the greatest but there was definitely items that you could enjoy.
The service was ok at most times, sometimes the staff wouldnt even pay attention to you and at one particular moment a server was more concerned about taking pictures of a couple than cleaning our table so we could eat.
Their drinks were just like in any other resort, watered down.
As for the smoking, we are smokers and aside from the patio where smoking was allowed, we never smoked or saw anyone smoking inside the buffet restaurant or at the ala-carte restaurants, as someone claimed.
The nightly entertainment was enjoyable, however every night for 1 hour or 2 you had to listen to a children's show, which was more like games for kids rather than a professional show, and considering that there was nothing else to do around that time, I strongly believe that they should have two separate shows. Most of the shows that we watched were very enjoyable, and of course there was a few here and there that weren't the greatest. Their disco, located at Merengue was very nice, great music, latin and english. You had to pay for drinks, but not very expensive.
During our stay there, it rained 4 out of 7 days and the resort did not seem to be prepared for days like that, there was no entertainment at all, pool table was full and you could only find some board games at riu merengue.
On the bright side if the weather was nice you could do snorkelling, and see some great fish right by the shore, which I didnt expect, windsurfing, volleyball and jet ski(40$ for half hour if I remember right). There was other activities offered through the sports centre, catamaran, boat tours etc, for an extra charge.
We did the catamaran and we had a fabulous time.
The beach by bachata was mostly rocky, so I suggest you go by merengue for a swim.
Overall we had a very good time, there was things that could be better but we looked past them, after all for the price you are getting a very good deal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bole69
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
Reviewed February 17, 2013

wow what a great place. such a cool country and cool resort. the staff where great the food was great the booze was great. as value for money goes this was the best 2 weeks ive ever had. we meet some cool people. we done 4 day trips Dolphin swim,out back safari,city tour, paradise island and all of them where great value for money

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mark N
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I just came back from a trip at the RIU Bachata and I was extremely disappointed. I was told by two different travel agents that this was a beautiful place and that we would love it.. I gave them my conditions and what I looked for in a resort. my first condition is always a two double beds and smoke free environment . I usually work over hours/week so I need a quiet and comfortable place, with good food and great entertainment. How disappointing! The room was beautiful but had a king size bed and ashtrays. Now that tells me that my request was not met. I went off to the front desk and asked why? They said someone would be over to remove the ashtrays and seperate the king size bed, and I know that's not what I asked for when I booked. Between the smell of humidity and stale smoke this room was not comfortable and definitely not smoke free. Now everywhere we went within the resort except for the indoor buffet, cigar and cigarette smoke was everywhere. No easy breathing meant for my wife who suffers terrible allergies and because of an organ transplant cannot take allergy medication. This meant she would remain mostly in the room. The A la Carte diner that I was finally able to book, had a non-smoking section but because in the evening is considered a steak house the entire place became smoking area! My wife had to walk out after two sips of her wine and asking to be moved with a NO NOT POSSIBLE respond from the server. Many smokers are so in-considerate and rude when asked to please move away it is unbelievable... After a two week unenjoyable holiday we are finally back home and my wife is starting to breath more easily.... Again I will never recommend a RIU resort to any of my family or friends unless they are heavy smokers.... Again all resorts should revise their smoking policies and designate smoking areas for the inconsiderate smokers!.. Our room was a smoking room prior to our arrival and the building had as many as 5 rooms with smokers during our stay. Never accept a room in the 800 block because the bar is right next to you and the noise will prevent you from getting a good nights sleep. the beds are the worst ever. this resort is no more than a 3 star in my book.

Room Tip: Stay away from the bar area, especially the block!
4 Thank Joseph N
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Like so many said about the rooms and grounds, very clean. Service was great, any problems just call the front desk, they will call back to make sure your request was taken care of.
They are trying to improve on the entertainment but a couple of shows did get a little cheezy.
The vendors.. yes some would find them pushy, learn the game and you can have fun with them.
The second week there they did change the wine that was much better than before. The liquor your need to ask for, "Brugal" or any other none house brand, and you will be fine.
Found the beach fine, didn't need water shoes, was sandy in between Merenge and Bachata.
The food was fine, lots to choose from but not like most 5 stars.
I didn't like that the other two resorts can come to the Bachata as you are competing for loungers at the pool, line ups at the bars and so on, you get far to many people on the one resort that we pay they premiun price for. Some groups send one person 6:30 in the morning to reserve 6 to 8 loungers along the pool and prime beach areas.
As I said above did enjoy my two week stay but I would give this a 4 star, there are a few little things they need to work on before being a true 5 star.

1 Thank Coxy56
Ottawa
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We returned last night from Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Our stay was enjoyable in a warm climate as was expected. I have given the hotel resort an average 3* rating, not the 4* everyone else seems to like giving it. I will go through the categories, to give our experience.
Service: The thing that left the worst taste in our mouth was the daily room service. We arrived late due to weather in Canada to our room to find wilted tiny flowers and no welcome towel art. Due to our late arrival, we saw no need to have the room cleaned that day as we slept most of the day anyway. Next morning, bright and happy and refreshed, I found the room cleaner in the room to the next of us and offered her a large tip to keep our room happy...we went out for most of the day...came back to our room to freshen up for supper and our room had not been serviced, with the note on the door hanging from the knob. I called the desk and asked that our room be made up...it was when we returned, no flowers, no towel art...nothing. This continued all week, though the room was cleaned. Our towels were never changed. On the positive side, almost everyone else that we dealt with worked hard to please us during our stay hoping to see us back in the future. The brightest note was our anniversary dinner where our a la carte reservation had fallen through the cracks; I visited main reception and spoke with a young gentleman, name unknown has braces, who managed to fix it all up somehow. There was a clear note written in the manager's journal about our anniversary and also with Freddy(a la carte manager) for the a la carte meal on Valentine's Day. Somehow they got it done, called us in our room just as we were getting really disappointed, told us to show up for the early meal. They did a great job!! Even sneaked our locally purchased Champagne(none available in the resort!!!!!) up behind us in ice just after we were seated. Was a great meal and one of the only things during this trip that was worth tipping for. This may have saved the trip for us, and thank you to management for getting it done!
Value: As this is the smallest resort we have ever visited, there is certainly some value in the fact that, as a traveler, you are not sharing with 2000+ patrons. The property is rugged, to say the least, but very well maintained. We chose this hotel due to price and timing somewhat, hard to compare against others in DR as this was our first.
Sleep Quality: Hate to say this to the hotel management but the beds suck!! They are sallow in the middle from all the humanity that has slept in them. My wife commented that she could have better slept in a hammock on a ship out in the rolling swells of the bay! We asked for a king size bed, and got two doubles...we slept apart throughout our entire vacation as the doubles really were not large enough to accommodate two comfortably for the entire night. The bathtub/shower is accessed over a very tall knee wall. Very hard to do if you have mobility problems!! The tub is tiny, and very slippery, nothing done or supplied to help this problem. In our particular room, the toilet ran on after every flush requiring removal of the lid and resetting the flapper plug, very annoying. The TV did not work though it appeared to be plugged in, we tried and failed; glad we brought lots of reading material! The AC in our room worked very well, sometimes to the point of chilly! That was a bright spot. There are chairs and a table on the balcony, and a handy clothes drying rack on the wall which we used. One thing I will never get used to is the staff talking to each other from the 1st to the 3rd floor, incessantly during the early morning hours...doesn't matter...after 8am you are awoken/awake, no matter how badly you need sleep from the night before. These buildings and hallways are echo chambers! In the night you listen to the late comers talking, the staff in the morning. This definitely affects sleep quality. The appointments in the room were sturdy and in good condition though the safe was questionable. An ancient one. You are supplied with a lock cylinder with a key in it that you have to figure out how to get in place in the bottom of the closet; again, mobility issues came in to question. I like resorts that have digital safes in a nice waist high position!
Cleanliness: 5*; all I have to say. You cannot glance one way or another without noticing a member of staff keeping the place clean. Great job on this!
Location: Transfer time is approx 40 mins, depending on how many hotels the bus has to stop at. As mentioned before, the landscape is rugged, though RIU has done a very good job with paths and walkways ensuring a safe walk most anywhere on the beaten path. There are signs and yellow paint everywhere there could be an issue and that was appreciated. Riu Bachata is located on a promontory with a beautiful wedding chapel built on the top of it, with the constant waves crashing in to give it flavor. Which leads to...
Beaches: The main beach on the east side, as others have mentioned, rates as poor. The beach itself appears beautiful on first glance. People are messy as a rule and staff have a hard time keeping up it seems; there was always some form of mess or garbage in view, even though they had waste buckets everywhere. Even first thing in the morning when they should have had time to clean up, it wasn't. The sand appeared trucked in...it was heavy with lots of dark material in it, not the soft bright, soul enriching sand that I love to dig my toes into. Finding a sunny spot after 10AM is difficult due to the amount of foliage. There are lots of chaise longues for everyone, but they are really tired, worn. No staff on the beach to help relocating the chairs either. The ocean is un-swimmable on this beach, RED flag out every day during our visit due to the never ending wind out of the northeast. The swells can hit 1.5M and with quite the dropoff suggest a possibility of an undertow. We never swam there due to this, though we did enjoy walking through the surf. This beach is for land-side enjoyment and relaxing, listening to the surf crashing and reading a book. There is another beach on the west side of the point that is protected by the promontory, that is quite calm. Seemed most patrons did not even know it was there! It was certainly quieter and swells came in more smoothly. There are no chaise there so bring a towel or two to lay on the beach as there is more sun available. Bring along some sort of bug spray to keep the sand flees off when you are right on the sand...experience. There is a market on the west end of this beach which is also not advertised...my significant other scored some good deals there!
Rooms: We did not receive a preferential room on the property, more like a poor one. It was in a high traffic area headed to the pool or the beach and 15M from the all-day snack bar directly upwind of us which subjected us to the constant noise of the kitchen and of course the odor. Did I mention the wind never stops here? We were in building 4. It was a nice walk to the lobby and food, and possibly to sunsets to the west, but, if returning I would turn this room/block down immediately.
Beverage Selection:RIU Bachata is home to 4 bars, one of which I never found, though it was advertised on their map. As a general rule, the selection at any of the bars was very good; there can be times when they run out, not for long, and have to improvise, which all the bartenders were very good at. Coffee is available at the bars, but not hand made. They have instant coffee brewers in each bar which use real beans that are made by the tenders. There are also two patron run machines, one in the main bar and one in the snack bar which produce the same quality of coffee on demand though there is a learning process which eventually produces an excellent cup of coffee. My other usually selected a cafe aux lait then added a shot of espresso...worked for her!! Back to the bartenders! Very, Very Good!! Expect to hear this. Every night just like a traveling sideshow, just so much fun to be with and experience. Props to Allejandro, Eduardo and especially Patricia for keeping things fun for the boys!!! ;) For those that enjoy beer, there is an available tap in the snack bar for any and all. All bars unfortunately shut down at midnight...probably good from what I saw there, at times...no 24/7 which took me down one notch. Bright spot? Beverage service to your room each morning, though usually very early and forces you to wake up. Supplied are 2 beers, diet and regular pepsi, 2L of bottled water/day and bubbly water to calm the tummy. Above the fridge is a liquor rack with whisky, brandy, rum and vodka that can be used to your hearts content and empty bottles refilled next morning...we chose not to use this as we were getting enough in the bars though I really liked it and am considering one for my own household now. The refill on the fridge is what you ask; they say 2 beers per room...I asked for 6 and it was refilled to that amount every day, which was pleasing. Wines offered in the mess hall or the a la cartes did not seem very good to us though others have different tastes. As mentioned before!! Do not expect CHAMPAGNE at this resort. You have to purchase it yourself. We went to the local mall and visited ALBERTO, last shop on the south side; he came up with a great CHAMPAGNE to enjoy our special day with.
Food: We enjoyed 1 a la carte meal at this resort, though 2 were offered. It was excellent, compared to what others have mentioned on this site. Attendant service was also excellent and fun, took pictures of us enjoying by just picking up my camera, not asking, they will be treasured. The every day meal in the mess hall, as I will call it, was best enjoyed after the main troops had pulled through...you could actually get at the food, usually just refreshed, and there for any taste. Meats could be prepared for you, but mostly we stuck to the kitchen trays as they were quite enjoyable. Fruit and vegetables of ALL varieties available at ALL meals...they know we come to enjoy them. Do not miss out on the omelets in the morning! The attendant is excellent and made perfect omelets for me and mine every morning we were there...he is good! Awesome selections of breads also available, with toppings similar to what we northerners enjoy at home. We brought our own maple syrup, as usual, to top the pancakes; nobody down south seems to understand this. To say, we did not go hungry, though as an average, the food was good, not excellent. Many many choices for the pickiest of eaters.
Health: Be assured that the ice in your drinks is made with purified water. We asked many times about this, it seemed to be true. As usual we endured a little trouble while there, but nothing of the stay in your room for two days sort. All water taps on the resort are marked and labelled NON-POTABLE, which is recognized in all languages. During our bus ride to the resort, the guide said clearly, WE DO NOT DRINK THE WATER EITHER. Other than that, wear a good sunscreen if you intend to spend the afternoon at the pool bar! We just do not realize how hard our friendly sun hits us there...got a burn myself...took 1.5 hours, wore it all week. Do not forget to eat and drink the water supplied in your room every day, recommended 1L/day.
Overall, the hotel/resort was good, but had some downfalls as previously mentioned. Staff work very hard to please you, once they understand what you want. Grounds and rooms are kept meticulously clean, again, 5*, for that. Entertainment crew is very good during the daytime around the pools, but, night-time shows are there if you want them. They do put a lot of effort into it! Bars? Excellent! Beaches? So-So.Spend your time at the pools. Beauty? Rugged property, hardly any flowers to see...where did they go(missed that!)? We would rate this as 3.5, no higher. Please go and visit, this is a small community, and it can be FUN!!

4 Thank LovestheBeach21
Nova Scotia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We traveled to the Riu Bachata from Feb 5th-12th. This was my third time in Puerto Plata and this is by far the best resort I've stayed at! It is basically spotless!! Whoever is complaining about the food is absolutely hard to please or something! It was the best resort food I've had by far, and I've traveled to other countries.....It was very tasteful and there is nothing that I tried that was horrible. Only really bad thing on the menu is their wine! It's pretty much vinegar....so bring your own or you can buy some in the hotel gift shop (which is what we did for the a la carte nights). Beach on the Bachata side is a little narrow and quite shady, but take a 5 minute walk to the Merenge and it's much wider. Pool bar was great as well. Also, the entertainment is decent. I would recommend this resort to anyone. Enjoy if you plan on going, I can't see you'll be disappointed, unless you were born in a palace or something! ;)

2 Thank Di D
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,378 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!