The hotel itself is very nice. The rooms are nice with plenty of hotwater and good water pressure. The beds however are tired and worn out. We were in the 600 building overlooking the lagoon and close to the beach. Good bar included with your room. The food was above average and tasty. I have been to a lot of resorts throughout the caribbean and this place rated number 1 for the food. Check-in was super efficient and fast. The pools were clean and well set up. The grounds were beautiful and immaculate. Now for the bad points. If you are going for the beach and to swim in crystal clear water with a sandy bottom, forget it. The beach is a miniscule strip of rocky sand that is almost completely in shade. The ocean bottom is very rocky and weedy even 500 feet out into the ocean! The water is so murky that even in 2 feet of water you cannot see your feet. The ala-carte restaurants are great if you can get a reservation. The entertainment is mediocre and about the same as any other resort in the caribean. The good point is some nights they had local bands playing which were quite good.
We would never return for the simple reason that there was no beach and the water was murky and unswimmable. We travel all that distance especially for the beach.
If you want a good massage, go to the locals at either end of the beach in the shacks and pay 30.00 for an hour of good massaging. Maria on one end of the beach and 2 other girls about a 1/2 mile away on the opposite side of the beach for the same rates. The rate of 79.00 at Renova Spa at the resort is a complete ripoff.
Also, this place was full of families with children so if peace and quiet and relaxation is what you're looking for, this is not the place. Since the beach is not nice, everyone gathers at the pools and everybody is stacked up like cordwood if you can find a place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Inside the Riu Resort, along with ClubHotels Riu Merengue and Riu Mambo * Main building plus 1 and 2-story bungalows * Surrounded by 50,000 m2 of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 25 m / 81 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 500 m / 1650 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Hotwire so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Bachata reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Hotel
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Puerto Plata
- Riu Bachata Dominican Republic
- Riu Puerto Plata
- Bachata Riu
- Club Hotel Riu Bachata