“Sadly Slipping a Little.”

ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
St Austell, United Kingdom
“Sadly Slipping a Little.”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Hubby and I visited here for the third time and sadly found it had slipped a little. It was not full at all, infact a few blocks were being done up. The mini bar had only basic water, coke. no other mixers as were on our other visits here.
The lunch time casual restaurent was only open once in the whole two weeks, so we had to dress and go into the main. Food was always plentyful both lunch and evening.
The animation team worked their little socks off day and night. Well done all of you.
Maybe it's time for us to visit somewhere new next year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank trishdunn29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
new jersey
Reviewed November 5, 2012

been going there for 10 yrs. the food, the drinks are always plentiful. the staff is always friendly and helpful. for the value, it is a great place to vacation. the only thing we don't like is when the locals come on the weekends. they can be obnoxious. but you can be entertained all day with various games, sports and exercise.

Room Tip: rooms with a pool view are great.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank mozes51
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The rooms were lovely. The restaurants were all very clean and had a great choice. The staff are amazing and very friendly. Really worth a visit.

4 Thank adamgivenwilson
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

junk disguised as food and locals taking over every meal time.too much repetition and recycled food.

3 Thank dennis w
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

just come back 28th oct..after spending 14 days. gardeners,barstaff,animation team all work hard food inferior,alcohol inferior,and when the locals come on weekend,greed takes over and they overfill plates and stuff cakes etc into plastic bowls with lids on they wont queue and are rude,.this was advertised as a platinum and was more than double what we payed 4 years ago in the luperon,we booked this trip with thomsons me /wife, daughter/son inlaw/ grandson who is 17 years old. in june 2011 and when we arrived in oct 2012 my daughter/son in law/grandson were put in a room for two and when they queried this they were told they didn,t know how old he was and offered to put another bed in but the room wasn,t big enough for 3 beds and the forms we filled in 18 months previously when we booked had the ages down.the fridge was only filled for two every other day,the optics and the drinks in the bars were of really poor quality and after a couple of trips to the restaurant the food was disguised with what looked like some type of meat in dark gravy and when we got back to the table with it,there was just bone with a coating of fat that looked like meat in the gravy.i could go on nit picking but to round it off all i can sum it up with it was platinum money but not platinum quality,the drinks were the same of poor quality and the optics were filled with poor quality liquor.i know we didn,t go to drink to excess,but everything was weak and tasted sweet.as i,ve said the gardeners,bar staff,cleaners,and animation team worked their socks off but you didn,t get the quality we had paid for.this is a true review as i see it and we paid well over the odds for nothing.

Room Tip: take what your given.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank dennis w
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed at the Bachata oct 17-24th of 2012. Our flight was booked with sunwing and was delayed, switched, and bumpy.. so a rough start to the vacay. Once we actually arrived we were greeted by MANY vendors in the front lobby just waiting for us.. they were vey pushy to say the least. I was worried that this would be the case every day as where they were was also the only access to the buffet.. Luckley that was the only day they were there! PHEW.

Food: FOod was overall good, an effort was made to accomidate everyone as they always offered hamburgers.hotdogs, pizza and salad along with various fish, pastas and chicken. I am not picky so I enjoyed trying new food, my fiancee.. not so much.

Booze: Sub par.. i wasnt expecting top self, but the booze in the mini bar in room was foul.. probably hadent been changed in awhile.. that wasnt a deal breaker as we only drank by the pools really. My poison of choice is rum and I must say it was quite tasty.. When I was at the swim up bars there was a few times I had to specify I wanted alcohol.. no biggie.. i just said top it up!

Pools: All were clean and lovely, we chose the Bachata specifically for the swim up bar which was 100% worth it as thats where i spent most of my day.. I never found it overly crowded. One thing that did bother me was the amount of families who allowed their 2-3 children all to sit at the bar or play around at the bar, I appreciate that this is a family resort.. but if you see grown ups waiting.. shuffle the kiddos off.. Also many of these children had obnoxious pool toys such as blow up whales and balls etc. which made their way to the bar also. Again.. not a deal breaker but there IS another pool. The other pool which is just across from the swim up bar/pool was often empty, I thought about sitting over there.. but the alure of the bar was too much!

Room: I have read alot of reviews about a/c being an issues, for the most part ours was fine.. our bathroom didnt have a vent so when you showered the room became "tropical" LOL also it always felt alittle muggy in the room.. but when its 99% humidity outside.. a little muggyness in the room is a-ok.. **We did find however our room had a musty smell to it.. I didnt notice it until I arrived home and unpacked. one MAJOR negative was the bed/pillows.. I am a sucker for king sized beds and always request one - which we got.. but our mattress had to be an extra firm.. now I am not a princess and the pea type.. infact my matress at home is a firm... but this bed was comparible to sleeping on a carpeted floor.. I do NOT miss that bed. The pillows were also flat and hard.. we were given 3, my fiancee slept with two stacked and I slept on the blue sham that was on the bed as well as the brick (pillow) >>the bed was defiantly the worst part.<<

Experience: Overall it was a great trip, everything was very clean, staff were attentive although tip hungry (slight annoyance) I just kept telling myself its all inclusive, there is no obligation.. those who truly earned it got a tip. Entertainment was good.. you could tell they were working for it though.. but always entertaining and enjoyable. Beaches are NOT white sand beaches with clear swim up water.. this is because of the location being on the northern tip of the island, but that is not to say the beaches wernt nice, the were covered with palm trees with rays of sun peaking through for sunbathers like myself.. also topless is a-ok here.. I got adventurous and tried it out.. LIBERATING! (I may have inspired a few older ladies too!)

When you first arrive they give you a room key (LITERAL KEY) safe lock and towel cards, also inform you of an information session happening the next day - the information session is regarding the excursions you can take.. its nice to hear about them and the session only takes 30 mins, they also touch on what to do before you leave etc etc. We did participate in the swimming with sea lions at ocean world.. SO MUCH FUN

The excursion was 80$/pp - well worth it, bus picked us up at 9am turns out the bus didnt pick us back up until 4pm.. there is not a ton to do there.. you see sealions,sharks,sting rays, dolphins and birds.. once you see that... thats all. So i would HIGHLY recommend doing 2 or more "encounters" to make your day worth while. **While at ocean world we were approached by a staff member to take a tour of their harbour as they were trying to drum up intrest.. also there was a free bottle of rum at the end of it.. SWEET were in... >>DO NOT FALL FOR THIS<<

*****The ocean world employee takes you on a tour of the harbor then proceeds to take you to their lifestyles resort.. which is a TIMESHARE... OKay we were already there... so we decided to suck it up and get our rum! Fella went through his speal, I said no, he pushed, I said HELL NO, he pushed some more, So we walked out.. with our small bottle of rum. We were driven back to ocean world (about 5 mins away) and were slightly miffed at the whole situation.. really we should have known better, but we made it our duty to tell everyone who had been asked that it was a timeshare pitch so they wouldnt get suckered into it

Room Tip: We were in 500's - excellent! at the end of the path but still close to everything, ocean view f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank steph k
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Myself and my friend and her mother have just returned today (18/10/12) from the Dominican Republic where we stayed at the RIU Bachata. We have in previous years stayed at the Mambo and Merengue also and we are all agreed that the Bachata is the best of the 3 for facilities.

Firstly, myself and friends mum are both disabled in wheelchairs and Thomson were fantastic and helped sort assistance at every turn. The hotel also couldn't do enough to help when we needed help.

The staff are first class, friendly, helpful, always cheerful, all take the time to say 'Hola!' And ask how you are and nothing is too much trouble. The manager of the hotel is regularly walking around checking everything and chatting to guests. We saw him daily and he asked how we were and if everything was ok. He arranged accessible rooms for us near to the main facilities which were great. The bathroom was accessible and the room wheelchair friendly, we could even go onto the veranda.

The food was great with loads of choice, from salads to pasta, meat and local food choices to more basic fayre like burgers, lots of good desserts and fresh fruit so something to suit everyone. At breakfast there were options for continental foods (breads, pastries, croissants) and cereals and also cooked items like bacon, sausage, eggs every way you can imagine, French toast etc Etc etc !! We also ate in the Italian and steakhouse restaurants and both were a nice experience (particularly the Italian starters).

The pool area was always clean and safe when we were there, there are always free sunbeds. The swim up bar is great and serves non alcoholic and alcohol cocktails etc. The beach is wonderful and great for keeping cool with a nice sea breeze.

The weather during our 7 day stay was great, 30-35 degrees, some cloud at times and an occasional brief 5 minute shower on a couple of days, but it provided a welcome chance to cool down a bit.

The only slight downside that I could possibly say would be to agree with some other reports of locals at the weekends. We had a party of 80 ish decend on the Bachata last weekend. We didn't find any problems with food and queuing with the extra capacity though and the pool area was still more than capable of providing sunbeds and bar facilities for everyone. The only downside for us was the noise as they were quite noisy on the Saturday evening and partying until 4am and since we were near the main area in building 9 we heard some noise. I was told by our brilliant rep Vicky and also the manager that had we let them know we were being kept awake that they would have sent security to ask the people to be a bit more aware of people sleeping. I think it was particularly noisy as there was a local teenagers birthday party apparently.

Whilst there it was my friends birthday and they made a terrific fuss of her and made a cake and decorated our dinner table and sang Happy Birthday etc which made it a special evening :).

Overall I would thoroughly recommend the RIU resort to everyone, you can use the facilities of all 3 hotels during the day so have a bit of variety if you want it.

Thank you to all the staff at the Bachata for making us so welcome and for giving us a memorable holiday. We will be back :-)

• Stayed October 2012
Sunscape Bavaro Beach Punta Cana
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 40 in Puerto Plata

Been to ClubHotel Riu Bachata? Share your experiences!