ClubHotel Riu Bachata
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed February 24, 2012

i guess all the complainers have perfect lives and are perfect people. We have been to about 20 all-inclusive resorts, and you cant compare a resort in Puerto Plata to a resort in Punta Cana or Mexico or Cuba or Jamaica. Each destination should be accepted for its own location.
We were there from Feb. 14-21, 2012 and yes we have some bad weather to start off the vacation, but they did still hold all the games and arrange Bingo by the stage. Every room has an umbrella, so get off your butt and walk around (it was still warm enough to wear a bathing suit). Decide to complain or make your own fun.
The FOOD was fine. I did not see anything to complain about ... are you there to vacation or eat? Stay at home and make your own perfect meals if you're looking to stuff your face all week. The WINE was disappointing so find a different drink of choice.
ALL STAFF were amazing. If you are nice to them and show some respect they will give it back. Give me a break... people who complain about the language barrier. You are in THEIR country so why dont YOU take some Spanish lessons if it bothers you so bad.
CLEANEST resort we've ever been to... EVER EVER EVER.
Lots of excursions to choose from if you chose to leave the resort. We went to Puerto Plata and cable car up mountain. Cable car was amazing and you see entire Puerto Plata, Sosua.
Scenery is fantastic, beach smaller in front of Bachata, but again (its called walking) 2 minutes to merengue or Mambo to bigger beach. Not that far people!
Shows about the same as other resorts, maybe a bit poorer however its just entertainment ... you didnt spend $150 for theatre tickets on Broadway.
Animation staff great. Not annoying but do like to try and get people involved. Lots of things to do during the day if you check the animation board!
I think people get into a vacation mold and go away "wanting" too much. Relax ... vacation ... take it for what it is. Enjoy the people you are with and be happy you can afford to get away as so many people can't.
I would rate this hotel a 4* rather than 5*. I would recommend Riu Bachata if you like Puerto Plata area.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Bay are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
14  Thank Janette M
Write a ReviewReviews (5,437)

Reviewed February 24, 2012

good pool bar nice setting.. but youngsters are rowdy in pool.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Just returned feb 23/12. Our first sun vacation to an all inclusive resort. I cant understand the bad reviews about the food, you must be very picky, or perhaps expect gourmet meals at the buffet.Did I like evrything? no, but we were always able to find something we liked. Breakfast is great, coffee is good, we didnt even get timmy withdrawals. staff are all friendly and upbeat, entertainers are great.
I loved the beach, at one end you can snorkel and see tropical fish, if you want a better swimming area just go down to the mambu, nice beach sandy bottom, you can walk right out until yopur over your head.
Are the rooms perfect? no, but if you want to stay in the royal york, go to the royal york, it is what it is. We slept fine, the rooms were well cleaned and we didnt go there to spe3nd a lot of time in the room anyway.
all in all a great time, no , not a 5 star resort , but you get what you pay for and I think you get a lot of value here. The people that complain must have high expectations.
I personally would go back, it would suck if it had rained but it didnt for us.

Room Tip: try not to pick a ground floor room
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank john s
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Just to let you people know this hotel shouldn't be considered a 5 star hotel , the food is horrible if you don't mind eating iguana burgers and rare meat with blood and a pizza with mosquitios than go right ahead and book this trip . I felt like i was on fear factor . The workers were nice but please avoid rm 236 like the plague that room is haunted and i am serious about that . We booked ocean view and they said they were booked so call the next day they did find an ocean view room for us but we would have to look around the corner of the wall and you see palm trees and maybe a spec of the ocean so we decided to stay in the room they gave us .The third day we had enough of the ghost and the things that were happening in the room so they changed our room right away the guy didn't even help us with our luggage he threw us the key cause he was scared to enter our room so they gave us room 221 which had no problem with ghost but ants or some kind of bug under the tv and glass that is on top of the dresser we addressed that problem but no one ever came so thanks riu for the 9 nights of hell .... riu in punta cana is much better even riu in cancun ..... So please think before you book with this hotel . We met a lot of people that had problems with the fan and water . This hotel also advised their is room service that is a lie and they dont refill your soda or water till three days .............

Room Tip: dont get room 236 or i believe 1458 .... they said 1458 is haunted also
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
15  Thank john r
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Just returned home on Feb. 21, 2012 after 2 great weeks at the Riu Bachata. Please do not pay any attention to the negative reviews. This is at least a 4 1/2 star hotel. It is also the cleanest hotel I have ever been to. (12th trip to the Dominican)
Food, although not gourmet was well above average with lots to chose from.
I would recommend an oceanview room. Beautiful views of the bay and mountains.
The staff was wonderful including Fredrich, the service manager, who was always around to answer any questions and look after any problems.
When this complex was built riu did not want to cut down any of the hundreds of beautiful palm tree unless they really had to. The one result of this is a very shady beach. This is a beautiful beach but not for sun lovers. Lots of sun at the fabulous pool.
We golfed 10 minutes away at the Los Mangoes Golf Club. Not a great course but OK for the $25 green fees and they will pick you up at the hotel.
The Casino, which is not operated by the hotel, has terrible odds so be carful and do not expect to win.
All in all our group have a fabulous vacation and are looking forward to returning next year.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Jim C
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Sometimes very good and sometimes bad but there is always a tasty burger and pizza available.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Feb 9-17 2012 were the dates for my second trip to Bachata and after a glowing review last year I now understand how some people could write a bad review. With that said the value of this resort will keep me from trashing this place. At sub $100 USD per person per night it still has to be one of the best dollar for dollar resorts in the Caribbean. It is also a true all-inclusive resort; short of tipping (which it looks like most people don't do but you should) you won’t spend a dollar on this vacation (unless you like to buy trinket crap or gamble). There is no up selling, guilting you into a better wine, and there is no more popular bar or restaurant to walk to that requires cash.
How did my experience change this time? My room was not ready at the time promised (3pm) no big deal. Then when it was ready an hour later the ocean view room that was paid for was only partially delivered. The room was a corner room in the second floor of an ocean building. While the room was an ocean side room the balcony faced directly into another balcony/room instead of the ocean like I had last year. This wasn’t going to fly so I went to the desk and asked for a room change. They said they over booked their ocean rooms and couldn’t do anything about it. I smiled and said that I was going to be here for a week and would like to change as soon as possible. They suggested I check back tomorrow. I did and was given a very similar room to what i already had; another corner room looking into another room across the way. I was forced to complain again and this time a manager over hearing my complaints told the desk person to put me in a traditional ocean view room. Great, the only problem was that it wouldn’t be ready until after 3pm. So for more than 24 hours I never really unpacked and felt like an interloper. If it wasn’t for the perfect weather and rum drinks during this time frame I might have actually been upset.
Then the weather changed. In my previous review I noted that this place lives and dies by the weather. When it is sunny and warm this place is paradise and you will want for nothing. When it is raining there is not much to do, almost nothing to do. The lively bars become dreary and the resort offers little to no daytime entertainment. Last year each rainy day we faced was broken up mid-afternoon with long patches of brilliant sunlight. This year that was not the case. We all faced 4 days of wall-to-wall clouds with persistent rains. I don’t include this as a fault of the resort obviously but it speaks to how people could have a bad time. Crappie weather, wrong room, hit and miss food and this will certainly change someone’s attitude and their perspective of this resort. Fortunately my trip was long enough to ride out the storm and embrace perfect weather again; and with that my review turned from mediocre to very good.

All my gripes from last year remain. The beer and wine suck. The food is all over the map. Sometimes-brilliant pork chops and steak other days not so much. This year there seemed to be less variation of the entrees than years past but I certainly have had much worse food at other resorts. Every thing was perfectly seasoned, sometimes over-cooked but at least it was seasoned perfectly. When not pleased with the entree options I was always satisfied with a burger or pizza from the snack shack stations.
For the reviews that complain about the beach being small and filled with trees they clearly did not explore the resort to its fullest extent. The beach right smack in front of Bachata is the smallest beach with trees down to the water line but a brief walk to the left offers a quiet lagoon that leaves you feeling like you are pleasantly stranded on a desert island. A slightly longer walk to the right brings you to a large sandy beach with ample sun drenched seating. In my mind this resorts offers something for everyone, a lively pool with a swim up bar, quiet shaded pool areas, sunny and sandy beach areas, etc.
I am pleased to report the Internet has improved from last year. It went from unreliable and virtually useless to semi-reliable, and slow, with a limited reach. It only reaches some lobby areas and does not the rooms. The rooms also suffer from a nearly useless TV experience. But vacations should not be about TV and Internet... unless it rains in which you have few other entertainment options. So plan ahead and load up your computer with downloaded TV shows and movies for the rainy days. You probably wont be able to successfully stream or download anything once you have arrived.
Other travel tips:
Bring ample singles for tips.
Tip the mini-bar fridge if you would like more than two beers every other day. The bar drinks aren’t exactly strong but they are more than happy to add more rum to any drink that you have. They will be happy to make you any kind of drink you just have to ask.

I will probably go back to Bachata... and pray for sunshine.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends