“PLEASANTLY SURPRISED”

Ranked #35 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
London, United Kingdom
“PLEASANTLY SURPRISED”
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I am a regular visitor to the Dominican Republic - When in the Puerto Plata region I
usually stay in the Playa Dorada complex. In April I stayed in the POP Village Hotel for the first time and was pleasantly sueprised - What sets this hotel apart from others is the inordinate desire of all the staff to PLEASE.
I will of course return at the first opportunity.
Patrick Carthy

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Fantastic Holiday, Went end of December 2009 for a week

Hotel was fantastic cleaned every morning, fresh towels and bedding, The staff was all polite and couldn't do enough for you. Only fault i found with the hotel was the beds, they was not comfortable at all.

Food was good, lots to choose from and the mexican restaurant in the hotel is a must.

My partner loved this hotel because they include brugal as part of the hotels all inclusive and that's his favourite drink lol

Hotel shop was cheap a lot cheaper than expected.

The beach bar was great served drinks and food (rice,burgers,hotdogs,chips,potatos,veg,bread, cakes and biscuits)

Wasn't much entertainment at the hotel but that's to be expected as when we went it was not busy.

All in all was a fantastic Holiday. Would recommend this hotel to friends and family and will be going back.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Central MO
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I visited PPV(Puerto Plata Village) for 15 days starting 3/20/10. The hotel is about 500 yards from the beach in the the Playa Dorada area. The rooms are a combination of one story triplexes and three story buildings. The action centers around the pool, where there is a Mexican restaurant/snack bar, bar, activity kiosks, and a buffet restaurant with Italian restaurant on top. My room, the cheapest, was tile floored and plaster walled. The room had hot water with a dispenser for shampoo/conditioner/bath gel and another dispenser by the sink for soap. There was a TV with no remote and two queen beds. Sounds pretty dry, so let me tell you what a blast I had. I am a single 53 year old guy, with 6 AI experiences in the Riv Maya.
The service personnel were uniformly professional, polite and attentive. It was a pleasure chatting with the barmen, waiters and hostess. While I was there I had the pleasure of meeting such a wide and wild variety of fun people from all over the world. On the weekends PPV is affordable to local people. If this is not your bag, look for a higher end hotel. I found them to be fun and charming, with a reality that is hard to find.
One couple I met from Canada has been coming to PPV for 10 years running. A retired guy from CT spends 4 months a year at PPV, and has for several years. He mentioned to me that he has never had a problem with security in his room. this was my experience as well. I did not pay for the safe and think it's a waste of money.
The food was good. I did not eat in the reservations only Italian or Mexican restaurant, only the buffet. There was cut meat every night, from roast pork(with the little piggies head and eyes looking at you) to beef to turkey to chicken. The buffet was not as extensive in selection as say, Golden Corral, but what they had was fresh and tasty. Not the best I have had in AI's, but quite satisfying. There is an egg station for breakfast and they had American style sausage links almost every day. Fresh fruit, mango, pineapple, melon, and oranges, were available for every meal. Each dinner was a different theme, such as Dominican, Italian, Mexican and so on. The highlight was the dinner served at the beach the night of the full moon. This was, for me, one of those "perfect moments". The full moon rose over the ocean, the seafood was fresh. They had a Lion King themed show with fire breathing and dancing, followed by a beach bonfire and limbo dancing.
The Plaza is about 1/4 mile from the PPV, where there is the Coco Bongo disco if you last that long(I didn't), as well as a variety of shops and restaurants. About a block from the PPV is the American Casino that has roulette, blackjack, slots and hold 'em. I'm a poker player, so skip this part if you're not. I played poker about 9 or 10 nights during my stay. they advertise 9 PM to 3 AM, but we never got a game together before 9:30 or so. Most of the time I stayed until they closed it down at 3. There was never more than one table active. The table averaged about 2/3 locals and 1/3 tourists. The min buy in is 1500 pesos($45). Most people bought in for 2000 pesos. The locals did too, but had big bankrolls in their pockets, like $500+. The blinds are 50/100 pesos($1.50/$3.00). The locals play a loose aggressive game, and tighten up as the table fills up, which it did a few times(10 players). The supervisor is Ramon, who knows what he is doing, and sometimes will play with his own money to keep a game going. A good bit of that is now mine :) The game is honest, but the dealers make many more mistakes than I am used to, so watch them like a hawk. They particularly had problems when there was a side pot. To their benefit, they would correct their error when it was pointed out. So, I think this is the information that any poker player would want to know. Oh, and did I win? Paid for my trip!
OK, back to the PPV. I would like to describe a once a year event I had the privilege of observing. It is Semana Santa, or Easter weekend. I guess this is a big a holiday as maybe Christmas in the DR, because the PPV was packed with Dominican families. They started arriving Thursday afternoon and it built to a crescendo Saturday afternoon. Now, I like a dose of this energy of families enjoying them themselves, playing water volleyball, drinking at the bar, laughing and smiling. To me it was an overwhelming sense of fecundity, a celebration of life, which is certainly appropriate for Easter. Not what everyone wants for their vacation, but I dug it. Be aware that this happens to a lesser extent every weekend, because of PPV's affordability.
I have not been to Hawaii, but I don't know what the difference would be. A mountain in a National Park overlooks the hotel. Palm trees surround the area. the weather during my stay was ideal. If you're into tennis, there is a tennis pro, and is recommended by my tennis playing bud. Every night a pianist tinkled the ivories in the lobby. I took a trip on horseback through the mountains to a magnificent waterfall with another buddy. There are a wealth of other activities to suit any interest.
The PPV will satisfy visitors who like a great value. I think some women, particularly, may have a problem with the lack of some typical foo-foo stuff. This place has it all for families, romantic couples, singles, or guy/gal groups. I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank topdeckgames
Reviewed March 20, 2010

I recently stayed at the Puerto Plata Village and Spa and had a remarkable time. I travelled with my best friend and her mom and could not have asked for a better trip for what we paid for. We checked in with no problems and had a bell boy carry our bags to our room as the trollys were all to busy. This was very nice seeing as how we had a 4 hour flight and it was drizzling when we landed. The rooms are very basic but you only sleep there and the beds are very comfortable. The air conditioning is noisy but it works instantly. A couple of times we had to leave our door open because it got too cold. In the mornings the buffet was excellent. A variety of breads and fruits and meats to enjoy before a relazing day by the pool or beach. We saw the chef create a monkey out of pancake batter for a small child and he loved it!Very creative. They have 3 a la carte restaurants that fill up quickly; Italian which was excellent, mexican and carribean. Sign up for these in the morning when you enter the buffet. Laying by the pool was always the highlight of my week. The animation crew starts activities at around 11 every morning. If you volunteer once,you have volunteered for the whole week. Don't be afraid to say no because after a while they will move on. I personally loved the activities and didnt hesitate to volunteer. It was a good way to get to know the animation crew and by the third day they knew our names which was great! Amauri,Kojack and Minime were by far the best. Whenever we weren't playing games, we would be at the swim up bar where we were greeted with "Hello Princess!" or "What can i get for you my little baby" by Dario. Amazing bartender who made sure you were taken care of immediately. In the main bar inside, you were also greeted with "esonnnn!" by edison and luis and robin and frank. They would work at night and during the day which was excellent because you would always see them. The staff are by far the friendliest people. Internet is an extra fee but its only 3 dollars american for 15 minutes and 4 dollars for half an hour which isnt bad at all. The nightly entertainment was good some nights and bad other nights. We found the dancing shows around the pool were overly long and boring. By the third night or so we memorized the mini disco dances (for little kids) because it was very repetitive. After the show, many of the crew would head to coco bongo during weeknights as a group and made sure everyone went and came home together. A great plan while walking the streets and night time. On friday,saturday and sunday nights the ambrosia disco would be open for the resort. This was very fun if a lot of people went. You could request music and dance from 11 until 2. Also during this time, the snack bar would be open where they served unreal cheeseburgers,hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza. A great muchy snake if you were hungry late at night. The beach was a five minute walk where you could enjoy views of the resort golf course and beautiful scenery along the way. There is also a shuttle that comes every 10 or 15 minutes to drive people back and forth. Overall we had an excellent time and we still talk to people from there!! we are planning to go back very soon. Great time for a great price!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
england
Reviewed March 16, 2010

we stayed here for 2 weeks betwee feb 23rd and march 9th..we arrived at reception,checked in by friendly staff then taken to our accomodation in hotel transport. room was basic but clean,and was serviced every day by happy friendly maids. there was a good variety of food every day,omelettes at breakfast were freshly made to our liking. restaurant staff were all friendly and were always on hand to make sure we had everything we needed....especially eduardo and rosa. the barman in the pool bar,dario, is a legend! top guy..my other half and dario were best friends by the end of our holiday,darios favourite english saying was 'one for the road' but that one normally turned into 10!! daytime entertainment round the pool was fun and eveyone was encouraged to join in. evening entertainment was a little bit cheesy at times but still good fun for children and adults,even better if u dont mind making a fool of yourself. bar staff wre great,eddison in particular..one of the happiest young guys we have ever met..we didnt even have to go to the bar for drinks,he brought them over whenever our glasses were empty. would definately reccomend goin on trips but book them at the plaza instead of through travel agent,its alot cheaper. ocean world is a must,i had a dolphin encounter,it was amazing and worth every penny. we also went to samana on the whale watching expedition...it was a 5 hour drive from our resort then 2 hours out at sea but well worth it when we saw the whales..fantastic day. paradise island was an experience..if you go take some bread or fruit for the fish,they come and eat it out of your hands..snorkelling equipment was provided and the coral was breathtaking. we also did the half day horseriding trip...we wereb taken up into the local villages,what an eye opener..it makes u realise just how lucky we are and how much we take for granted,they were all so happy and friendly,we took bobbles and hair grips for the girld and colouring pencils for the boys,it was like we had given them the world,i just wish i had taken some sweets for them aswell..the kids were so sweet,i could have brought them home with me. my other half says he dosent recommend the horse riding for men!!! a bit uncomfortable in the saddle for 3 hours..
we met quite a few people staying at our resort who had been coming here every year for quite some time so that tells u alot about it. we would definately go back again. weather was mixed..really hot sunny days and some rainy days but thats how it goes. all in all a fantastic holiday. 1 last point we would like to mention is how wheelchair friendly the resort was..it was my first time in the dominican but my partner has been all over the world and he says he has never been anywhere that caters for wheelchair users like puerto plata does.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed March 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this resort the last week of February. This was our first trip away together in 20 years. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, the hospitality and service was awesome. Our room was cleaned daily by the most pleasant maids ever. They were always smiling. The front desk was always there to answer questions. The food was remarkable every day. They have a team called "the animation team:" that is poolside daily with constant contests and activities to keep you entertained. The best bartender ever is Dario at the swimup bar. There was even a time, when i developed a massive toothache one night. They have a little store on the premises. I went to see if the lady that ran this store had anything for pain. She gave me what she had, but she was so concerned that even called someone to see what they recommended and told me where the closest drugstore was. The beach is only a 5 minute walk, but there is a shuttle that goes back and forth all day to give you rides to and from the beach. At the beach, they also have a snack bar and drink bar set up (all free) for everyone to enjoy. Everyone on this resort goes out there way to ensure your trip is pleasurable. I didnt want to leave......and i will definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
england
Reviewed February 24, 2010

The hotel rooms were basic but always clean, no hairdryer, iron etc but these can be borrowed from reception. The food in the restaurants was lovely, even for fussy eaters it would be hard not to find something you like,you need to book the a la carte restaurants in the morning as they book up quick! The pool and bars were great but the night time entertainment was a little tedious. All of the staff were friendly and helpful and the animation team gave us plenty of laughs with the entertainment.There is a casino just ouside of the main entrance and the shopping plaza is 5mins walk away, we booked all of our trips from here-much cheaper than with the rep.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family