“Puerto Plata Village, Playa Dorada-!Fabuloso!”

Puerto Plata Village Resort
Ranked #36 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
“Puerto Plata Village, Playa Dorada-!Fabuloso!”
Reviewed June 21, 2005

The Puerto Plata Village at Playa Dorada is an excellent choice as an all-inclusive resort. We were there for a week in early June, during the off-season. We were able to get a good rate and had a fabulous time. From the time we were greeted with drinks at check-in until a thoughtful farewell from our maid, Apolonia, we had excellent service. The staff from the manager (Jimmy) on down was very friendly and many spoke English. Every morning we were treated to a custom-made omelette cooked up by Eddy and a shake of various fruits that was to die for. You have your choice of 4 restaurants -Buffet, Italian, Mexican and International- and all were muy bueno! The room was pretty basic but we were in it only to sleep, shower, et.al! It had a very nice terrace with a beautiful view of the mountains. A Robert Trent Jones golf course serpentines though the complex. There are 2 pools, one for adults with a swim-up bar and one for children without. The beach is beautiful and a short 2 minute shuttle (which runs every 10 minutes) or a 3-4 minute walk away. If you book a "Jeep Safari" or any other excursion, do so with someone at the Plaza, a centrally located group of stores, ATMs, bars, etc. The hotel wanted $69/person for a "Jeep Safari" and we booked it through the "King" ("I have a brother in the U.S.-Elvis!") at the Plaza for $20/person. We had good luck at "VENUS" buying jewerly-you could bargain for a good price and the store appeared very reputable. Several casinos are in the complex as well. Although the bugs did not bother us too much, bring insect repellent, "Afterbite" or the like and sunscreen-all are expensive there.
I highly recommend the Puerto Plata Village. We had a great time, great weather and great service and food - all for a reasonable price!

17 Thank Bibs48

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
NY
Reviewed June 8, 2005

The PPV, as it is called is a nice resort on Playa Dorado. When we arrived we were welcomed with a drink. We actually needed a doctor right away due to an illness that had started at home. The front desk manager had the bellman come and take us to the doctor which is very close by. Do not worry about falling ill in the D.R. I actually ended up needing to go myself again later. The doctor was great and very knowledgable. The prices were more than fair.

We got out tours from the Plaza. A very quick and safe walk from the resort. You see, you are basically in a compound with about six other resorts and the plaza.

The beach is very quick and scenic walk, also very safe. We never took the shuttle (which is really a golf cart). But don't worry about being away from the beach. It is a very quick walk.

There are almost no visitors over the weekends. People tend to come from Monday to Friday - this is awesome! We were there Friday until Tuesday. The weekend still has nightly shows (mediocre at best - they are not great at the entertainment part) and no lines or reservations for the restaurants. Once Monday hit the ala carte restaurants were running out of food.

They originally put us far away from the resort. The room was a little below average and a little dirty (Just sand and hair in the bathroom, sink and tub). But we asked to be moved closer and got a better room.

I tipped the front desk man and bellboy thinking it would help in the long run (in the end after the initial help and then the move I tipped the desk man $5 each time for a total of $10 and the bell boy $3 each time for a total of $6). It didn't help at all, so I wouldn't bother doing it. It was basically a waste of money.

However, leaving things and money for the maid left us with really great extras! I left make up, OTC medicine, money, clothing (from home), and food (chips and such). Well worth it.

The food is very good there. Most of the help is polite and happy when you say hola to them. A few of the bartenders are obnoxious and make fun of the visitors.

For tours I would suggest using Marysol. We did the paradise Island tour - beautiful! Amazing! Bring an underwater camera, and the jeep safari tour - again the seven waterfalls were great!

Do NOT use Caribbean Marine Center for scuba! We used them and had a lot of trouble. Another group with the center came in off the boat and rushed a man off and into the hospital. In our case, they allowed one man to go 20 meters further than he was supposed to and my boyfriend had a leaky valve, which led to him not having air for 5 minutes! His life did pass before his eyes as he did a buddy breathe on the way back. They were just not professional! We signed up because Neil was so nice, but Raul is not a good guide.
I would suggest using the other company - both are in the plaza.

I gave the PPV just an average, as that is what it is. It is a nice place, good value, and you get what you pay for. But we saw some other places in Playa Dorado that were much nicer for the same price.
But I wouldn't complain. It was clean, friendly and had good food.

14 Thank Kirkcollm
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 22, 2005

My friend and I stayed at PPV from 8th - 23rd april. It was an amazing trip all round. Would I go back? Yes.

I'll start with the bad (as you do): The beach staff, well, the watersports people are unfriendly, unhelpful and try to con you out of money. They don't actually seem to be part of PPV so don't go here expecting a watersports holiday because thats not what you'll get.

The WEATHER:

8/14 overcast with about 5 days constant rain. Don't forget it is a tropical climate, expect the rain. It was still hot tho apart from one of the days of rain.

If it was overcast it was hot, a great relief from the scourching sun. If it was sunny it was very hot (but nice), with a very powerful burning effect.

The FOOD:

Just incredible! No one can say there was anything wrong or there wasn't enough choice or variation. It's not true. In fact the problem was, I made myself sick every night because I kept eatting so much. I tried to try every dessert but could never manage it.

POOL:

Big, great pool bar, a little bit dirty but it is an outdoor pool, generally nice.

BEACH:

Beyond good, great bar there, loads of volleyball, very nice as well, clean and the beach sellers do not hassle you. They only come over if you seem interested, you can have some fun with them, they start at a really really high price, I mean you look at them like, AS IF! and laugh, but I got a good price for a t-shirt and bought from them. Also bought an excursion on the beach, which was by a very long way the highlight of the whole holiday. Go to the waterfalls!

The SEA:

Just just just amazing, clear, very warm, no sign of life at all. no sea weed until the rough weather ripped it off the coral. During the bad weather, the sea became rough and was brilliant, the waves wern't as big as I would have liked but it was still great fun for everyone.

NOTE: The shuttle to the beach is easy, quick and best of all very enjoyable.

AROUND THE HOTEL:

Fantastic, can't ask for more.

The ROOM:

I wouldn't say basic, more old. No problems with it, great AC, facilities, TV and the beds were really nice. Always cleaned well.

Activities:

Good, helped by the friendly staff.

=====================

I recommend!

• Stayed April 2005
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Norfolk England
Reviewed May 18, 2005

We went to this hotel for my sons wedding 45 of us in total and we couldnt have asked for a better place to stay.
We were always looked after. Of course the rooms are not 5 star luxury like most of us would like, but they were always clean.
The staff can not do enough for you. I would honestly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to have a great time. The children were happy and the adults happy too, and the wedding went great. Those hotel staff need a pay rise for all the hard work they did for us on our sons special day, So i hope there boss gets to read this sometime.
We will be going back again sooner rather than later.
We were there from the 6th March 2005 for two weeks, I just wish it had been for longer.

• Stayed March 2005
10 Thank DeeNorfolk
Calgary
Reviewed May 9, 2005

Well I just returned from the Dominican...sadly enough! We stayed at Puerto Plata Village and would recommend it to one and all! I would not think of trying somewhere else in September on my return!
The staff at the hotel are fantastic and love to joke around with the guests...they answered many questions promptly and effiently! It was always a treat to walk through the lobby and have a friendly face saying OLA and them actually taking the time to do that as well as recognize you!
The house keeping staff was amazing...everything was well kept and very clean!
The activity staff..there are no words to explain these guys! They work very long hours but always have a smile on their faces raring to go with the crowd! We spent most of our time with these guys and made some very good and close friends....see you guys in September!
The bar staff and pool bar staff were alot of fun too and had good memories to what we drank....lol...
The food was absolutely great....

All and all this resort was amazing..can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2005
11 Thank ohlala
ontario
Reviewed April 20, 2005

My husband, son (10), daughter (6) and myself went to this resort April 6th till 13th and had an amazing time! The staff here are WONDERFUL. The food was fair-very good depending on the day, breakfast was always good though. The pool was very clean and the swim up bar always had very couteous, friendly bartenders! The kids pool was also very clean and the kids club was a great way for my kids to get a break from us (haha or vice versa), they watched english television videos, played board games, lego, crafts and also went on walks, played on playground etc. We loved the way the resort was set up, like an actual village, with the pool area being "time square" The maintenance men do a fabulous job trimming hedges, cleaning the grounds to perfection. Our check in was flawless, our maid was thorough and very personable. Our only issue with this resort was that the room (superior) was very small and very plain. Its true when you go on vacation that you dont go there to spend time in your room, BUT when I pay a few thousand bucks to sleep somewhere other than my home, its nice to wake up to "superior" surroundings. The front desk told us that they always upgrade their returning guests to the next room category the next time they travel there, they showed us the master suite and it was very nice, we are likely going back to PPV next year!!!

Stayed April 2005
9 Thank funcplont
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 19, 2005

The Puerto Plata Village Resort was awesome!!! We went in January and I've been meaning to get to writing a review on here ever since reading them before I made my decision to go. If you'll notice when you read the reviews, that people from TO really seem to have an issue with the PPV resort. Let me tell you from our experience there the TO guests make it that much less fun for everyone. We had our flight there delayed by nearly 6 hours, and when we finally arrive the bellboy, and the front desk staff were so courteous did everything they could to make sure we were in our room as soon as we arrived. The bellhop was even standing there waiting for us with our key when we got in. The shows were great, especially when you consider that the staff all work a full day then put on a show as well, you can really see them put their whole hearts into it. Truth be known we never met an unfriendly soul the entire time we were in the Dominican but the staff at our hotel were amazing! We had fresh flowers in our rooms in the morning, and special treats laid out for us on our beds. Tipping your housekeeper with some of the common items we take for granted (ie, little soaps, shampoos, perfumes, etc.) go a long way. We managed to scrape our bones off the beach long enough to take the Outback Safari. This trip is run by a charity that supports the local schools, as well as local families. Our guide was Arnie and he was amazing! There was never a dull moment with him, but watch because he'll get you a little drunk ;) It's a nice gesture if you take some pens, pencils, and school supplies on this tour for the children as a lot of families cannot afford them there due to their high cost. Arnie advised us against giving them candy and money, it is actually illegal because it encourages begging, and it rots their teeth too. If you only go on one trip in the DR this is the one to take, boogie boarding, shopping, tour through a dominican family home. The food once you get used to the different meats and spices is amazing. Remember that elevation affects your tastebuds so it's not always the food ;) We found there was always something to do even when it was raining it was an amazing place to be. The entertainment staff who work the beach were also great, we are both shy people but they still managed to get us involved in the games and various group activities and games they played on the beach. They have all kinds of free equipment that is included in your stay for your use on the beach as well. Basically the rule is if it doesn't have a motor it's free for your use. The all night bar and all night pizza place were great for those late night cravings, and after the disco food to avoid the hangovers. For anyone who has anything bad to say about this resort I can't imagine why, I would go again in a heartbeat, and will be this winter.

• Stayed January 2005