“Good deal for the money”

Puerto Plata Village Resort
Ranked #36 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Dallas, TX
“Good deal for the money”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at this resort for 6 days during October and had a very good time. They try very hard to please. The rooms are dated and dull. However, we were only in our room long enough to shower & sleep. We didn't go there to spend our time in the room. The pool area was nice as well as the beach. The staff especiallly the bellman Victor & Carmen were extremely nice & accomdating.

We never went hungry as there was a good variety of food. We will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dykstra2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have been there 3 times in 2012. The rooms i thought are a very good deal for the money. I had no trouble with the rooms. i see where some people have but our rooms were always clean and most everything worked. I live in Puerto Plata so we just stay there at times and do not take any of the trips or lessons, so i cannot review them. The staff has always been pleasant...The check in staff are ok ,it helps if you speak spanish. Their english is ok but limited. Breakfast is good..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike M
Peterborough
Reviewed November 1, 2012

NOTE: This review is being published late because it was originally submitted too close to a previous review of the same property and hence was not eligible for publishing at that time. Suffice it to say that we enjoyed our stay and have just booked another trip for later this year. That brought this review to mind, so I've submitted it now. I guess my review of this years trip will be a mite late too .....

TRIP DATE: Jan 5, 2012 to Jan 19, 2012 (two weeks)

SYNOPSIS: Nolitours, Puerto Plata Village, Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata, DR

The GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY

The GOOD:
Food, service, cleanliness, our room, pool swim up bar, piano bar in lobby, some live entertainment, nice beach club, beach BBQ party, Presidente beer on tap, nice selection of specialty restaurants (Dominican, Italian and Mexican)

The BAD:
some loose tiles on pool deck, no chicken BBQ on beach, lobby is hot and stuffy and could use better ventilation, mustard was hard to come by, relish forget it, internet (this could easily have been an ugly).

The UGLY:
none that I recall

We discovered Puerto Plata Village last year when we were relocated there from another hotel. That had been one of our current favourites. I have to admit that we enjoyed this property at the time and decided to return again. We were not disappointed and we found that pretty well everything met or exceeded our expectations.

OK, it's a three star property and it doesn't pretend to be anything more. It's a little older but they seem to be on top of the maintenance. If you're looking for marble tiles, lobster and prime rib, this isn't the place for you. That said, we found the food, service and cleanliness to be exceptional for this star level. The common areas and grounds are all pretty nice and well maintained. To be honest, there were a few loose tiles on the pool deck and some doors didn't fit too well for example. Nothing too serious. The pool isn't large by current standards, but it's a reasonable size and the swim up bar was very enjoyable.

And there were lots of little unexpected extras that made the overall experience very pleasant. For example, there was a piano bar in the lobby each evening except Thursdays and live entertainment/dancing on Wednesday nights. Some of you may remember a group with a female performer named Karmen-V. Well, she's the singer with that new group and she has an exceptional voice. I remember meeting her a few years ago in Punta Cana and had an opportunity for a short chat following their performance. The major evening shows were
performed by traveling entertainer groups (quite good and pretty professional) and the remainder of the shows were performed by the 'small' animacion team. Fortunately there wasn't too many of the silly audience participation games.

When we were there, occupancy was low. My best guess is about 40%. There were a lot of repeaters and long term guests (two months or longer). For what they are charging and what they are providing, this place should be full.

CHECK IN

On arrival, we were greeted by reception and given our room key, towel cards and remote for the TV. The staff at reception were friendly, efficient and most important, proficient in English (and as far as I know, a few other languages such as German and French). They got us checked in and taken to our room quickly.

ROOM

We had a superior room (actually one of the suites) with a balcony/patio and amenities (read as a bar fridge). The room was basic but quite large and serviceable. It appeared to be recently painted and pretty well everything was in good condition. There were a few anomalies. The shower turn on/off didn't quite turn off so it was more like 'some' water from the shower head in the OFF position or 'lots' of water from it in the ON position. The temperature control was a little vague but with some playing you could get the temperature you wanted. After two weeks I got pretty good at it.

So, it was just what you would expect from a 3 star property. If you are looking for fancy, this isn't the place. But it was clean and as I mentioned, everything pretty well worked. The air conditioning was quiet and worked well. But everything wasn't perfect. It's just not a holiday if I don't fix something and during the first week I repaired the toilet seat which was starting to come adrift. Took about 5 - 10 minutes. No big deal. One of the bathroom lights also quit during week one. I reported it and someone was there to correct the problem within 20 minutes. Pretty impressive. It appeared to be just a dud fluorescent tube which was quickly replaced. Unfortunately it wasn't that simple and two days later the light quit again. Now this part is really impressive. I reported this to the front desk and the repair guy beat me to the room. He was there with his voltmeter when I arrived. This repair took a little longer, but the light worked for the duration of our stay.

So, no show stoppers here and we had no major complaints. Despite a sign that said to put your towels in the tub if you wanted them replaced, they were replaced daily regardless of where they were. Bedding appeared to changed every second day. Oh, and we got wash cloths. I don't know if this is normal or was special for us, but some of the other rooms we looked into didn't seem to have them. Follow the standard DR procedure and take some inexpensive ones with you. Then you have that situation taken care of. If you don't need them
and have them it's not an issue but if you don't have them and need them .....

We felt quite safe and comfortable in this room. I regularly left my laptop, cell phone and tablet computer on charge and nothing was ever touched.

GROUNDS

The grounds were clean and well maintained. There's a fair bit of greenery and trees, all carefully groomed. There are a few areas that appeared to be remnants of what used to be the floor of a building or others that were pools/fountains but no longer used as such and they were empty. It seems to me that the floor could be easily converted to a parkette and the old fountains could be converted to planters.

It's an easy resort to find your way around. All the main common facilities (pool, entertainment area, buffet restaurants, specialty restaurants) are concentrated in the central area near the lobby. The disco is set aside away from most of the rooms.

The pool is nice and appeared clean and well maintained. We did have a fair bit of rain during our stay and some vegetation got washed into the pool. Since it didn't float, some remained in the water despite daily cleaning. The pool also has a very nice swim-up bar. With the exception of a few loose tiles on the pool deck I didn't have any issues.

The only comment here is that some rooms are near this area and may be noisy at night if you wanted to retire early. I'm kind of surprised that the late night entertainment wasn't moved to the disco to resolve that noise issue. Whatever, the noise was finished by about 10:30 or 11:00.

FOOD, RESTAURANTS and BARS

There is one main buffet restaurant and three specialty ones (Italian, Mexican and Dominican). All three were offered, one at a time, but the venue for the Dominican was moved to the Italian restaurant. The Dominican venue was quite large and not required for the number of guests. We ate at all three and found them pretty good. I liked the Italian best. The specialty restaurants seemed to be only offered three or four nights a week, as I said, one at a time. On
those nights, usually both the buffet and one specialty restaurant were open. Other nights everyone ate at the buffet. On beach BBQ party night, they served dinner for all the guests at the beach club. We found the food to be quite acceptable. There were lots of choices and it was easy to find something that suited. Surprisingly, most nights there were expensive things like olives on the condiment trays. They had packets of mayonnaise and ketchup but no mustard or relish. The only spot I found mustard was at the pool snack bar and even then only on occasion.

Bacon must be expensive there. It was rare to see it at breakfast and seemed to appear about once a week. Personally I didn't care much for the sausage offered, but the omelets made up for that.

The tables were well bused and it was a rare event to sit down at a table that didn't have the proper utensils and cloth serviettes (napkins to you guys south of the border) already on the table. The top table cloths were replaced frequently.

The service was quite good. After the first day at breakfast the gals knew we wanted our coffee first thing. We'd no sooner sit down and the coffee was right there. Nice. The only thing was when they replaced your coffee with the second cup they took the stir spoon with it. This 'might' explain the odd missing spoon from an adjacent table. Don't blame the guy busing the table; blame a guest ....

There is a snack bar (burgers, hot dogs and pizza) near the pool and another snack bar at the beach club that served lunch from about noon until 2 PM. There was no rotisserie chicken alas. There seemed to be less baked chicken at the beach than last year. Pretty well all the salads and chicken was catered from the main hotel kitchen. Burgers, hot dogs and fries were prepared at the beach club. Of note, the beach club was the only venue that served fries. There was also rice, pasta, veggies, fruit and desserts. Quite a complete selection for a small area.

There are bars located in the lobby, near the pool, the swim-up bar and one at the beach club. There's a fifth bar in the disco when open. Drinks were also available in the restaurants at meal time. Of note, Presidente beer was served. They are no longer serving Brugal and it's been replaced by a brand called Nika (spelling?). It wasn't as good as Brugal but better than Normandy or Classico. Pretty well all the other offerings were local.

After all that drinking it's nice to know that there are abundant washroom facilities and they are all pretty conveniently located. They seemed to be clean and well maintained.

BEACH

Overall the beach was pretty nice and one of the better sections of Playa Dorada. I can remember this area from years past and it has been considerably improved when the beach was built-up a few years back. There is a fair bit of shade for those that want it and there was no shortage of beach loungers. They also had about 5 or 6 of the beach beds.

The beach club is about a five minute walk from the hotel. There is also a shuttle that runs frequently if you don't feel like walking. We took it a few times; just for the ride.

INTERNET

The current internet setup is quite expensive, but that is going to change. There are plans in the works to have site wide wifi that will be included in your room rate (just like it should be). The hotel had promised me access to their own private wifi but that wasn't available. To their credit, they provided me with access to the commercial internet that is currently on site. That service was having technical difficulties and the operator frequently disabled the logon and account access screens because of the complaints. The access in the lobby required logon about 50% of the time and the second node only around 10% of the time, even though the networks had to same name(???). If you were between the two antennas, they seemed to switch back and forth between the two systems. My laptop could handle it alright, but
the Android devices had trouble finding the logon screen since all pointers to it seemed to refer to 'where you were trying to go' when you hit it. It was pretty hard to get back to it when required. I didn't use the account access they provided, but there were a lot of dropouts. If I had to pay, I would have moved this to the ugly category.

COMMENTS

Here are my comments about the hotel (in no particular order):

1) For those that care, there were individual packets of ketchup (not Heinz) and mayonnaise. But there wasn't any mustard or relish (exception: some days there was a bowl of mustard at the pool snack bar, but I never saw it at the beach club or the main buffet).

2) The beer served was Presidente on tap. This is a good thing.

3) All the mix was bottled, not fountain. And yes, they had Diet Coke (called Coke Light there)

4) Bacon was a rare occurrence at breakfast. I only saw it twice.

5) The beach club is a good place to have lunch due to the location. The food selection in the buffet was also good at lunch time. We ate most lunches at the beach club, but had several lunches at the buffet as well. Of note, the beach club was the only place that served fries.

6) The beach party was very enjoyable. They served dinner at the beach club, had a show, put on some music, danced, had a bonfire and played a few beach games (like limbo). It's the kind of beach party I've been trying to talk the 'other place' into having for years now.

7) The pizza bar is quite good. It's different than at home, and the crust is pretty thick, but good. They pretty well cooked up small portions (6 slices or so) to order and you got to select what was on it.

8) There seems to be a lot of useable covered areas to use in the event of rain.

9) There were a lot of locals on the weekend. There were no issues. They behaved the same as the other guests.

10) There were two bottles of water in the room at check-in. When they were empty you could get them refilled at any bar. There were also dispensers conveniently located throughout the resort.

11) One night they had a beef tenderloin roast at dinner. It was pink in the middle and very tender. Our party described it as 'excellent'. They had it a second night, but I can't comment on it because we ate dinner at the Italian and I had no room left. We also had roast turkey three times at dinner and in the words of another guest, it was "awesome". And I agree.

12) The staff really tried to please all their customers and would literally bend over backwards to try to help.

SUMMARY

The accommodation was acceptable, the food was good and plentiful, the place was clean and the service was good. There seems to be a great staff. What else can you ask for? All in all a pretty good combination. We had no major complaints.

This property is exceptionally good value for the money. I'm surprised it wasn't full. It should be.

Would we return? YES. We wouldn't even think twice about it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank BobFromCanada
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Ok This Review is extremely over due, I just found this site since im going on another vacation. I came here about 10 years ago 2002 (I was 18). Im guessing it has changed alot since? Mabey not. Anyways I remember it being relaxing and the staff was very kind and friendly. Even if you didnt tip them everyday. I did tip the bar tender 10 dollars the minuate i first arrived at the bar, forgetting it was all inclusive. When he took the 10 he had a huge smile on his face and handed me my Presidente beer (Best beer in the world!). I played it off as if i meant to tip him that amount, and smiled back. He kept the drinks flowing after that for my whole stay lol. The swim up bar was really nice and relaxing as well. The disco was a little boring mabey about 4-10 people per night would show up. I remember there was a club called "Crazy Moon" that was PACKED almost every night located in the plaza, They played top 40, hip hop , reggaeton, etc. I heard they changed the name of it now. The food was ok, enough to keep me full but sometime got repetitive, theres a pizza hut that delivers too if you want something else....

The hotel was a little old but clean, well maintained, clean room. I probably wouldnt return as i would go for somthing higher end, now that im 28 lol, but it was nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank GTA_Finest
ottawa
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Nice place if you like to be laid back and do nothing.
check in staff are not to acommedating. I tried to upgrade my room, and they said nothing was available, even though the hotel was half empty
The rest of the staff were fantastic always remenbering your name and saying hi to you everytime you seen them. Food was basic but good. They have a shuttle to take you to the beach every 10 minutes and pick up. there is a snack bar at the beach for booze and light snacks through the day wich is included with your stay, also 2 times a week the buffet resturant is closed and they have their full course meals at the beach. i did not like that part, i think they should of had both places open.
It is a older crowd at this resort so don't expect to party theiir all night long.
Like i said good place if you don;t want to do anything.
You can book excursions at the front desk
3 bars that also includes the swim up bar, pool was big and great.

Room Tip: make sure you book the upgrade before you get their, All rooms are simalar, views of nothing at all