Occidental Caribbean Village Playa Dorada
Ranked #33 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed June 14, 2008

We had a good time and is planning on going back. I travelled with my husband and not so young kids 22 and 17 We were concerned if they will be bored with us, they enjoyed themselves made friends with the staff and guess. It was no problem to take a walk to the beach or the Playa Dora mall you can also go by shuttle which was fun.The hotel was clean, our towels was changed everyday and you even have a beach towel that you can change everyday.So my question is how much towels some of you people need and do you use that much at home I don't you fail to realise that you area visiting a third world country and they do not have all the fine dining that you have (or do not have) The hotel was clean, the food was excellent I even took a bottle of hot sauce which made it even better.The staff was great always smiling and helpful they go all out to make your stay a memorable one.My daughter and myself is still singing and dancing THE CHOCOLATE SONG AND HASTA LA VESTA SENORA . A shout out to the staff SuperJoe,Nathan,Jhonny,Francisco,Rambo and the rest Thank you for a good time. My only disappointment was the locals taking over the weekends the pool was crowded and we had an option to use the VIP pool but could not get drinks at that pool,over the weekend the restaurant was also crowded and difficult to get a table thanks to JHONNY who would find us a table with a smile. For the young people who is out to party will enjoy the local guess over the weekends. The Juman family Canada

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank TRINICANADIANCanada

Reviewed June 10, 2008

Just got back to London from a 2 week stay in this hotel (25/5 - 8/6)

1. Room (9/10) - nice and clean, a maid mopped the floor, cleaned the bathroom and made a bed every day, perfectly functioning A/C, convenient terrace. We'd appreciate changing the towels more often.

2. Food & Drinks(10/10) - plenty of various types of food, fresh fruit and vegetables, different kinds of meat and fish, salads, desserts, all delicious, local beer Presidente was OK

3. staff (10/10) - extremely helpful and friendly, people at the reception, bartenders, animation staff (Rambo, Super Joe, Blaky, Amanda, Jimmy, Picachu)

4. entertainment (10/10) - funny showtime every night with lots of competitions during the day (table tennis, volleyball, water aerobic, bottle fishing, pinaple throwing,...)

5. environment (8/10) - a pleasant and quite place except weekends when the resort is densly occupied by locals with screaming children making it impossible to find a spot in a restaurant or a swimming pool. We'd suggest a playing room with table games and TV for the guests in case of bad weather or just to stay inside and socialise with other guests.

6. beach (9/10) - the beach is in a walk distance with lots of outdoor activities (paragliding, jet ski, yachting, short boat trips, ...), free beds, free buffet, free transport from a hotel to the beach and back

7. trips (10/10) - very well organised and guided ( we went with Coco Tour). We took two trips: one to Haiti and one to Puerto Plata, both in A/C buses, punctual driver and an experineced guide. Broad scale of available trips throughout the country.

Bad experience:
local private taxi drivers providing long-distance trips - we agreed on a $60 trip to nearby Puerto Plata. Once we got in a car the taxi driver brought his friend in saying he was the driver. At the end of the trip he asked for $60 for the driver and $50 tips for him !!! We paid £60 plus $5 tip...

We'd recommend this resort to budget seeking travellers with an expectation of 3 star hotel features. A very nice place for couples, friends as well as families. Although we have to admit that the local sellers' phrase "looky,looky - cheapy, cheapy" used to draw our attention to buy something from them was getting on our nerves towards the end of our stay, we got over it remembering that the tourists are for most of them the only income. In some cases they were a bit too much pushy, but not agressive as we previously experienced in Tunisia or Turkey.

Peter & Jane, London

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Peter_Jane
Reviewed June 9, 2008

First let me just say that I have not yet gone to this hotel, but I received an email with a great deal for the 15th that I can't pass up. $586 per person for 7 days all inclusive for a superior room, its a deal.

2nd, when receiving wind of a deal as such, obviously I look on trip advisor and I am so tired of people from the UK bashing all these hotels. If i listened to any of their reviews I would not go anyware!

3rd, realize that its central or south america, it will not be as comfy as home, the food will not taste like home or your corner chippy, nor will the smells and other things be familiar! This is why we call it a vacation!

4th, the staff usually do not know your language, have patience, the staff also do not live in the luxury we do therefore a bit of appreciation towards them would be welcom. These people clean our messes, put up with us when we had one to many and in general are very nice.

5th, if you have nothing to say other than complaints about silly little things, please keep it to yourself. I want to know if the rooms are clean, if you had things stolen, if the staff is polite and if you had a good time. Thats all!

Will let you know my honest review upon my return June 22nd!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brattanya
Reviewed April 5, 2008

My husband and i ,just returned April 3 ,Hated to leave and come back to the cold, this is our 5th time to the D.R. And cant wait to go again, each trip we have been in a differnt resort,with different star ratings , and have loved each and everyone of them.We are easy to please and dont require a lot , we go for the cheapest trip we can find ,that is close to the airport as we dont like that long drive to and from.. and have been pleased with the results every time.The food is great, the people friendly and helpful..About the only thing my husband didnt like was that we were not in walking distance to a town and he felt isolated .BUT the complex offers you everything you need and you realy dont need to be near a town.About the only thing i dint like was the bats, im scared of them and my husband thinks its funny,I was scared my husband would let a bat in our room for the night, there dirty little suckers,BUT each day housekeeping cleaned up there mess , plus cleaned our room and always left fresh towels. Only a few draw backs,,one being there is only one computer in the lobby, and that was always busy,, and i like to chat with my kids every night at a certain time , which didnt happen so a internet cafe would be great, Also your only given one room key which sometimes can be a hassel when you cant find your husband :) sometimes the music was up to loud, that it always echoed , BUT we ed just moved back further from it,,The resort looks as if there doing renovations as there was a lot of painting , and repairing of odds and ends which seems great to us as it shows that there always keeping up with standards. We had a few issues with the air conditioner leaking BUT it was always repaired and cleaned up not long after we ed meantion about it, and this is the first resort weve been to that you can turn the heat on if its cool in the eveingings , The weather was GREAT, the water was beautiful, the food made us gain weight, we meet a pile of wonderful people ,and made a lot of new friends,we would go again and recomend this to our friends.

Stayed: March 2008
6  Thank Vickie W
Reviewed April 1, 2008

I have been reading the reviews for this hotel, and I fear there are some really spoiled people out there. I think for the price, you could not have had a better vacation. The rooms were big and clean, PLENTY of food, and NOT the same thing every day. (I hardly saw any pasta!) This was a first vacation for both me and my husband to anywhere tropical in our lives, so maybe our standards aren't as high, but WE HAD A BLAST. ONY, the best bartender ever, deserves all the praise you have read about. The pool was great, the beach was clean, plenty to keep you busy. I know we are already considering going back, but this time with our son. If you are looking for luxury, it would probably be best to stay away. Just as well, if you are that stuck up, you wouldn't be any fun anyways!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frodobaggins_8
Reviewed March 31, 2008

We arrived late and found that our room was not available until the next day after 3. We had a confrimed booking for a 2 bedroom, 2baths with living room full kitchen on the main floor for 6 people. We ended up with 2 ajoinging rooms on the second floor with a balcony, that some animal used every night as a feeding station, what a mess to wake up to every morning, YUCK!!! The room was very basic with not even a glass, it was large with very dim lighting and a 1960's tv. We had trouble getting towels and faceclothes. Which is not good for four girls. We ate pasta most of the week, the specialty dinning rooms were always booked. At the snack bar the only thing we could stomache was the french fries. We tried to get into the spa but it was never open. The front desk will not cash travelers cheques. Most of the staff is indifferent, but some are outstanding and go way out of the way to help out. This resort is not on the beach but its easy to get to the beach and the beach is lovely but has some areas of sea weed. The bottom of the pool is rough and many people had scratches on the bottom of their feet and toes. This was my second visit to this resort and I was very disappointed in how it has been run down.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sparkyont
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Not having been to Playa Dorada before, we were unaware that the resort consists only of hotels and nothing else. The only people you meet in Playa Dorada are people staying in the hotels, and people working in the hotels, so not much fun there. The rooms are pretty basic, clean enough but no frills. The public areas are well-designed and maintained, it's a shame they don't apply the same level of care to the rooms. The food was absolutely fine, there was plenty of variety each day, vegetables were nicely cooked (not mushy!) and there was always fresh salad and fruit. The bar was pretty pathetic, no decent cocktails - pina colada came from a kind of slush puppy machine. We ended up drinking the tiny plastic cups of beer. Bar staff were rude. Entertainment is brain-rottingly awful. You'd be relaxing by the pool listening to the 1 CD that they have, when they'd crank up the music and play the same song 5 times in a row trying to cajole people into the pool for "water aerobics". That was when it was time to leave. Evening entertainment consisted - every single night - of Agadoo and the Birdy Song. Music older than the hotel......
For 9 out of our 14 days stay, we walked up to the main road and got a local bus or taxi to Sosua or Cabarete. Much nicer resorts, with more to see and do, infinitely better beaches than the one at Playa Dorada, lovely bars and restaurants and - shock! - local people. And believe it or not, it turns out they're not all murderers and rapists, despite what your tour rep tells you. We booked a room in a little hotel in Sosua and stayed there for 3 nights.
All inclusive deals from the UK are pretty cheap, so we were happy enough to spend some money outside the resort. In fact, we spent only £500 between the two of us over two weeks, eating and drinking outside the hotel, which I think is a bargain. I would strongly recommend that people spend some time visiting one of the nearby resorts. Spending a week or two only in the Caribbean Village, or even just in Playa Dorada, I think you'd go completely insane!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple