“Awesome value for the amount we paid”

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband and i traveled here March 24-31st/14. The hotel was great!
We have stayed at more extravagant resorts, but for the price we paid this was excellent.
Food was fresh and hot with many choices. I was told that there were updated rooms for an extra $40 per night, but we chose a non updated room. It was super clean, and everything was in good working condition. Fridge was stocked and fresh towels daily.
I found the beds on the hard side, but the pillows were great. Always had hot water.
One large pool in center of resort, it was ok until a lot of kids arrived. We had a hard time finding a quieter section. Lots of chairs available. Pool bar could be larger, often a long line up.
Beautiful grounds that were well maintained. Everything was in short walking distance no matter where your room is. Specialty restaurants were ok, nothing to get overly excited about.
Beach was beautiful but it would be nice if someone was cleaning up the grassy seaweed that kept washing up in certain areas. Great location close to city, just a short bus ride (which you can pick up every 15 min just outside resort for super cheap)
Great gym with AC and lots of windows and mountain view.
We had an excellent time here and would highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: If you are in building 7, ask to be moved. Building 7 is right beside the disco which is loud until...
1  Thank Kimberly D
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Mr./Mrs.:

We greatly appreciate your time for sharing with us and all Trip Advisor readers your experience at the Be Live Grand Marien; we would also like to thank you for your selection.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We thank you for your kindness comments!!!
They are very important for us, since we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion, definitely they helps us to improve on our services. At Marien guest satisfaction is our top priority.

Please receive our best greetings from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you, and of course, will be very nice to welcome you back at the hotel.

The Management

Write a ReviewReviews (3,985)

Reviewed April 5, 2014

The hotel was fine, but in my experience definately not a four start plus hotel. The hotel accommodation has obviously been refurbished but it is still dated and tired in some places. The bathrooms, equipment (T.V, Coffee Maker, shower & taps) and furniture are old and although the rooms are clean, things are rusting, peeling and generally not my idea of 4*plus. The balcony doors did not lock with a key and were held together by a small metal bar. The safe was the old key type and we were charged $21 for the week. The room was cleaned daily with fresh towels everyday, I would have been happy to use them again but they changed them regardless. Drinks were replenished in the mini bar daily. The buffet restaurant was just ok if not a bit samey with the food and again definately not 4 star, we always found something to eat and service was very good. The speciality restaurants were very good I enjoyed them all. Staff were excellent, very friendly, helpful and attentive. The beach was nice but the sunbeds were terrible, old and broken and not enough of them. They were better by the pool. The grounds are well kept and the gardeners work very hard. The beach bar needs to be bigger, there was always a queue to get drinks. It didn't help that the Canadians bring their own bucket sized insulated drinking vessels which took time to fill. The pool bar was the same and also had a very unpleasant stale odour. Our all inclusive bands were taken from us on checkout although we still had 2 hours to wait in reception for our airport bus, there was coffee available but being able to still get a cold beer or cold drink would have been a nice 4 star touch. One sad feature was the large amount of young Dominican women accompanying the older single male guests, it was uncomfortable at times to have to watch what was obviously a paid service rather than a genuine friendship, unfortunately this was very noticeable. This is our third time to Dominican Republic with Thomson 4 star hotels and although this hotel tries very hard, it is definately not a 4 star plus and was glad I hadn't paid top price.

Room Tip: Block 3 and 4 have a lovely sea view and are near the beach bar and pool.
2  Thank Mojothetraveller

Dear Mr. / Mrs:

At first, we thank you for selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your stay at the Dominican Republic.

We thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process.

We would also like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Please receive our warmest regards!!!

ATT:
The Management

Reviewed April 4, 2014

My husband and I booked fairly last minute and got a good price on a week at the Be Live Grand Marien March 25 to April 1 2014. This is our third time to DR, first time to this resort. Overall, we found the resort to be good value for the price we paid. It was not luxury, but we didn't pay for luxury. The food is flavourful and fresh, service excellent, drinks plentiful. The furniture in our room was a bit tired, but this was by far made up for in the location of the room which was steps from the beach. I have had an "ocean view" room at other resorts and have been lucky to have a glimpse of the beach from the balcony. Not the case here. We were literally STEPS from the beach, with a beautiful view. Although the furniture was a bit old, the room was clean and the maid supplied whatever we needed, keeping our bar fridge well stocked with what we asked for.
I have to say to those who say that they were disappointed, that you had unrealistic expectations for the price you paid. I have been to much more luxurious resorts, but they were a good deal more expensive than this one. Be Live was great for a quiet, inexpensive getaway. Think about the things that are really important on a holiday..... Good food, clean room, great beach, good service. This resort had all of those.

3  Thank Cottagemom2014

Dear Mr./Mrs.:

We would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us through this web site.

Thank you for selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your stay at the Dominican Republic.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us even though the observations you mentioned, which we appreciate since they help us to improve on our services and offer to our Customers the highest quality of service as they deserve.

This is the commitment why we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Our Best Regards!!!!
The management

Reviewed April 3, 2014

My friend and I Just got back from a 4 day weekend and all I wanted was some fun, sun, and relaxation, .... Okay perhaps some cold beverages as well. I found it all at Be Live Grand Marien. My friend stayed at this resort a month ago and I had the privilege to accompany her on this trip. We arrived at the hotel checked in and were by the pool in no time. I found the room to be very clean and chic with its canopy style beds, sunken jetted tub, and spacious balcony overlooking the beach. To my amazement several of the hotel employees recognized my friend who like I said had stayed there just a month before. I'm very much a "customer service" type and found that we were treated like VIPs. This resort was small enough that I didn't feel lost in a sea of tourist. I really felt the staff took an interest in us. My friend and I spent a lot of time basking by the pool and joined in a lot of the poolside activities. I'd like to recognize Miguel Angelo, and Randy and Danny Boy who did an excellent job motivating the crowd and keeping things fun. I realized they wear several hats throughout the day from dispersing the towels by the pool to organizing beach volleyball, water sports and performing at the evening theater show. They also spend time after hours at the hotel disco to get the patrons dancing and enjoying the evening. I had four days of fun in the sun and found a few new friends.
The buffet was good, but the Brazilian steak house, and the Gourmet restaurant we ate at were very very good. The one thing I have got to mention is you have to pay for wi-fi which I found a bit disturbing at an all inclusive resort but above all this was a great vacation. Thanks!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank sylvia s
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I was at Be Live Grand Marien from March 1st to March 8th 2014 with a friend. This hotel has left a bitter sweet feeling. I expected a 5 stars service, but I must say this was more likely a 3.5 stars hotel service.

First off, the food at the buffet was ok and their wasn't a lot of variety. However, the restaurants à la carte are excellent. The best being the Gourmet, then the Mexican and finally the Brazilian.

The resort is small, but that's OK. The rooms are average. I was however happy of the location of our room, which was close to the beach but not too close to the noise by the snackbar. (I was in building 4 which was in the ''old hotel part'' ).

There is one big pool and it is clean. The beach was also clean. However we always had a struggle finding lounging chairs, there never was enough. We woke up fairly early and still there were no chair available on the beach and on the pool. My friend and I didn't mind lounging in the sand or in the grass, but we would at least have like to have the option to get a chair if needed.

But the most frustrating part was the towels, there were never any towels available when needed. First day, I waited 30 minutes to get one, then the next 45 minutes and then the next, over 2 hours. One day, I asked if I could exchange of my dirty towel for a new one and they didn't wanted to. I have been to many resorts (not even 5 stars like this one claimed to be) and never have they refused to exchange me a dirty towel. I thought that was ridiculous since I paid to have a 5 stars service. And also, may I add that there were no indication that we couldn't exchange our towel for a new one.

There are some beach activities: volley, dancing class, kayak, drinking game by the pool. Those are free. If you want to do motorized sport (banana boat, parasailing, etc, you have to pay)

However the staff is nice. The entertainment during the day was good. The shows at night were average.

Every night we went to the dance club which was nice. The music was a mix of American music and Latin music. However, by the end of our stay, the music was repetitive, the DJ kept putting the same American music playlist. And when we'd asked if he could put some of our requests he was kind of uneasy about it. The club opened from 11:00 PM to 2:00 AM. You can then go the Pure nightclub beside, which opens until 6:00 AM. There is also a casino next by the Pure nightclub.

If you want Internet (anywhere in the hotel), you have to pay (even in the lobby). If you want to eat seafood (you have to paid about 85 USD per person). If you want a security box, you have to pay (3$ per day)

There is one bar by the pool, one close next to the snackbar and one that opens at night in the disco bar, where the lines can be quite long. There also seem to be a bar by the beach, but it was close during all our stay.

GOOD points:
*Friendly staff
*The beach is clean
*The pool is clean
*The disco club is nice (except music selection that keep on repeating)
*Restaurant à la carte are excellent
*Resort is clean

BAD points:
-No towels available when needed
-No dirty towels exchange on same day
-Buffet food is not so good
-Entertainment shows at night are average
-NOT a 5 stars, at most a 3,75 stars

EXTRA ACTIVITIES:
We visited downtown with a taxi guide and quite enjoyed the place.
The next day, we went to the Bavaro Runners, which is a tour to the country side, it was quite fun. We visited a elementary school, did horseback ridding by the beach, and went swimming by the beach.
The day after, we went to the Teleferico tour, which made us visited the city, the amber and larimar factory and the rhum factory.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank maianhannie
Reviewed March 28, 2014

This was my first time traveling out of the country and I had to say it was one of the best experiences I have ever had! The overall resort was really clean and the food was a lot better than I expected! The employees who worked at the hotel were awesome and I think that is what made me love this resort! Danny boy was the best employee there! He was welcoming, very caring and really took care of all the guests! He was so kind and anything I needed he helped me out with! He was so friendly to everyone and was a very hard worker! You could tell he really loved his job! Danny was by far the best employee at this resort and I think he really sets a good example for the other employees at the resort And made all the guests feel welcomed into his country! I hope he can get a raise and he is getting paid enough be used he truly deserves it! Danny is so awesome!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Jennybabyxo
Reviewed March 27, 2014

When we arrived at ' be live' it seemed a bit weird all the clocks were set at different, incorrect times We smilingly commented to the desk person, she & scowled & ignored the comment. She did not smile at us once during the process of checking in, although we tried to be friendly
The lobby was dark, dingy & worn, the furniture chipped and dirty, & there were dead flowers in vases.
We arrived at 1, Check-in was at 3:00
Checking-in process ended at 1:15 & we went to concierge for dinner reservations. They informed us reservations closed at 1:00, so he did us a” special favor” by ‘overbooking’ the Brazilian restaurant for us at 6:30, even though we told him it was earlier than we had wanted to dine.. We actually had wanted to eat at the air-conditioned ‘gourmet’ restaurant, but were told it was' fully booke' all night.. (Note: this restaurant never filled based on our evening observations. Senseless.)
While walking around as we waited for our room we were distressed to notice the pool area& beach chairs wee in complete disarray & the cement patios were all severely cracked, chipped and peeling.
While waiting for room we went to buffet. Food was not very good, service poor. Tables clothes were worn and fraying. Empty food stations were not refilled promptly.

At 3:00 we went back to the desk & are were told we have the 'best' room in the 'newest' building. Neither the building nor the room were at all new. The room was very basic with a king size bed & couch..
We asked for extra towels, as we only had 2, extra pillows & ice as we heavily tipped the bellman. He said sure & never returned. We later called for the 2 extra towels & a very unkempt ‘supervisor’ appeared at our door.. She barged in & called someone from our phone, yelled at us in Spanish & said'... only 2 towels", then she departed.. When latter we complained to the concierge (as the front desk people were very unresponsive & unfriendly) & we were told that is the policy in the Dominican republic, only 1 towel per person. Really????
Eventually we were brought 1 extra towel.
The entire property is in disrepair and poorly maintained i.e: the handle to our bathroom door came off in my hand as the wood was completely rotted, weeds ae growing & the ground was covered in falled leaves. The grout on bathroom floor is dirty & cracked.
We finally went to dinner early at Brazilian restaurant. We left their at 8:30 & the restaurant was not yet full. We were very frustrated as were given these 6:30 reservations as a favor because it was so full.
There were waiters walking around the restaurant to sell 'upgraded' wine at dinner. We had no choice but to buy a bottle for a glass of wine as house wine is very bad. We have never been to an all-inclusive that had such poor wine. They pour the ‘house “ wine out of gallon plastic jugs into glass carafes. The jugs look like Clorox containers and the wine is not much better than that.
This is a low end resort that looks to get extra $, I.e. Wine, lobster, fish and meat dinners, room service wherever possible
Gift shops on property have different prices for the same products and are generally overpriced.
There are people wandering around trying to offer you your ‘free’ gift. We decline as it smells like scam.
When we returned to our room there was a note informing us our room was to be fumigated at 9:30 am the next day. (REALLY???) We opt out, however when we walked through the corridors of our building the next morning they reeked from the smell of fumigation
We had checked at the spa. It was hot & empty. There was no clean spa odor that is typical. We looked no further than the entrance & choose not to book treatments.
The gym was hot & unusable.
Cabs were supposed to be available on departure, it took over 15 minutes to get one. However, the time was spent with the front desk trying to get the special slip of paper to show we returned everything. When we checked out & paid for our extras an hour earlier we were not given the special slip., nor did we request it because we have never had a escort require an exit slip! . She now argued she needed our pool towel cards.She finally agreed to only charge us $20 per towel & allow us to charge it. Of course we found the cards were in my husband’s wallet when he went to pay so we were 'allowed' to leave.
We were here for only one night, if not we would have checked out after the first day.
I could list a lot more of the problems, but this should be enough to give you an idea of how gross this facility is..
There are many fine all inclusive resorts at very reasonable prices as we found out when we met up with our trip group. This definitely was the very bottom of the barrel. It ranks as one of the worst places we have stayed.

5  Thank amadeusny