“fumigation in progress is not enough to fix this place.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Be Live Collection Marien

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
ny
“fumigation in progress is not enough to fix this place.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

When we arrived at ' be live' it seemed a bit weird all the clocks were set at different, incorrect times We smilingly commented to the desk person, she & scowled & ignored the comment. She did not smile at us once during the process of checking in, although we tried to be friendly
The lobby was dark, dingy & worn, the furniture chipped and dirty, & there were dead flowers in vases.
We arrived at 1, Check-in was at 3:00
Checking-in process ended at 1:15 & we went to concierge for dinner reservations. They informed us reservations closed at 1:00, so he did us a” special favor” by ‘overbooking’ the Brazilian restaurant for us at 6:30, even though we told him it was earlier than we had wanted to dine.. We actually had wanted to eat at the air-conditioned ‘gourmet’ restaurant, but were told it was' fully booke' all night.. (Note: this restaurant never filled based on our evening observations. Senseless.)
While walking around as we waited for our room we were distressed to notice the pool area& beach chairs wee in complete disarray & the cement patios were all severely cracked, chipped and peeling.
While waiting for room we went to buffet. Food was not very good, service poor. Tables clothes were worn and fraying. Empty food stations were not refilled promptly.

At 3:00 we went back to the desk & are were told we have the 'best' room in the 'newest' building. Neither the building nor the room were at all new. The room was very basic with a king size bed & couch..
We asked for extra towels, as we only had 2, extra pillows & ice as we heavily tipped the bellman. He said sure & never returned. We later called for the 2 extra towels & a very unkempt ‘supervisor’ appeared at our door.. She barged in & called someone from our phone, yelled at us in Spanish & said'... only 2 towels", then she departed.. When latter we complained to the concierge (as the front desk people were very unresponsive & unfriendly) & we were told that is the policy in the Dominican republic, only 1 towel per person. Really????
Eventually we were brought 1 extra towel.
The entire property is in disrepair and poorly maintained i.e: the handle to our bathroom door came off in my hand as the wood was completely rotted, weeds ae growing & the ground was covered in falled leaves. The grout on bathroom floor is dirty & cracked.
We finally went to dinner early at Brazilian restaurant. We left their at 8:30 & the restaurant was not yet full. We were very frustrated as were given these 6:30 reservations as a favor because it was so full.
There were waiters walking around the restaurant to sell 'upgraded' wine at dinner. We had no choice but to buy a bottle for a glass of wine as house wine is very bad. We have never been to an all-inclusive that had such poor wine. They pour the ‘house “ wine out of gallon plastic jugs into glass carafes. The jugs look like Clorox containers and the wine is not much better than that.
This is a low end resort that looks to get extra $, I.e. Wine, lobster, fish and meat dinners, room service wherever possible
Gift shops on property have different prices for the same products and are generally overpriced.
There are people wandering around trying to offer you your ‘free’ gift. We decline as it smells like scam.
When we returned to our room there was a note informing us our room was to be fumigated at 9:30 am the next day. (REALLY???) We opt out, however when we walked through the corridors of our building the next morning they reeked from the smell of fumigation
We had checked at the spa. It was hot & empty. There was no clean spa odor that is typical. We looked no further than the entrance & choose not to book treatments.
The gym was hot & unusable.
Cabs were supposed to be available on departure, it took over 15 minutes to get one. However, the time was spent with the front desk trying to get the special slip of paper to show we returned everything. When we checked out & paid for our extras an hour earlier we were not given the special slip., nor did we request it because we have never had a escort require an exit slip! . She now argued she needed our pool towel cards.She finally agreed to only charge us $20 per towel & allow us to charge it. Of course we found the cards were in my husband’s wallet when he went to pay so we were 'allowed' to leave.
We were here for only one night, if not we would have checked out after the first day.
I could list a lot more of the problems, but this should be enough to give you an idea of how gross this facility is..
There are many fine all inclusive resorts at very reasonable prices as we found out when we met up with our trip group. This definitely was the very bottom of the barrel. It ranks as one of the worst places we have stayed.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank amadeusny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Pittsboro
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

We arrived at the hotel at 3:00 pm 0n Sunday were give our room in building # 9 room 9329. The bell man took us to our room and carried the luggage up as we were on the third floor. The check in staff was quite friendly and helpful I told them that I want the key to the safe and they explained that it was $3.00 a day I had already read that so it was no problem. The buffet was fair not good or bad. The next morning I asked to make reservation at the gourmet it also was fair we also ate at the Brazilian. It was very good the best we had there. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. The room was kept clean with lots of towels. The grounds were kept up very good and did not get asked about time share but once and a simple no thank you was all that was need. T he beach had some sea grass but nothing that was all that bad and the pool was very clean and chairs were there to be had. We were having a great time. Then the day before we left my wife and I was going to the diner and show at ocean world. We was half way to the lobby when I began having a asthma attack I reached in my pocket and remember I had left my inhaler in the room I told my wife to go on down to the lobby and I would be right there. After climbing the three flights of stairs I was having trouble breathing. I then realized that my wife had the card to open the door. I went down stairs and there was a maid there and I asked her to open the room for me she said she could not and started to walk away from me I asked her to call someone as this is now a emergency she said she did not have a phone I asked about the radio she had on her side and she said the battery was dead. I told her this was a medical emergency could she go and get someone. She said no she had to clean a room. I went out to the beach and saw a security officer and called him over and asked him if he could call someone from the lobby he just kept smiling and nodding his head. There were some people standing on their balcony that started asking if they could help, I asked them to call the front desk and ether have my wife come back and open the door. About this time I had fallen to my knees and could hardly breathe a lady came up and handed me her inhaler. After a couple of minutes I felt better and went to the room next door and asked if I could use their phone. When I called the lobby they said that I was not a guest at their resort. I then walked to the lobby and was quite mad when I asked to speak to the manger one of the desk people pointed to a man on the phone. I told him I need to speak to him and this was a medical emergency he kept telling me to wait. I got the bellman and the key from my wife and went and got my inhaler. When we came back I asked to speak to the night shift manger and told him of the problem. He agreed that something needed to be done after this happened. You know I would have rated them 5 * if this did not happen, but now I know it not safe so I cannot.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Richard B
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was our first trip to Puerto Plata. We had a great time the resort was clean ,food was awesome . Lots of fun games on the beach and the pool.Drinks were always cold and thirst quenching. Staff was always helpful if you needed any more supplies in your room.Weather was great not much rain. Show was good . Sandy beach lovely water everything close so not a lot of walking,Not to far from town, little market down the beach. Would come again for sure

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fran M
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed here between March 16 & 23rd with my boyfriend and another couple. We were upgraded to partial ocean-view rooms in the 9000 building. We were also greeted warmly and offered a cold beverage (unsure if it was alcoholic, but it was delicious).
The beach was well cared for and we
The very few "cons" - we paid for a safe and found out they gave us the key style one which didn't even fit our newer combination safe. Turns out our friend's could be opened without/locked without paying. We didn't get our money back and have a bit of a communication issue trying to explain the situation. Our friends had room 9126 and the ceiling leaked when the a/c was running elsewhere. Not a big problem though.
We tried all three a la cartes and preferred the Mexican overall. Guacamole comes with shrimp and quesadillas, so there's no need to order it on its own.
There was always something good to eat at every meal. The snack bar has pizza and tortilla chips with queso sauce at 5pm every day.
The entertainment staff were pretty awesome as well! They had good shows at night and always knew how to round people up to play games during the day. Definitely go to the beach party!

Feel free to message me to find out anything specific.

Room Tip: Email management to request an upgrade and you may get lucky! All rooms are close to everything.
1 Thank Alyssa W
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a week and we don't have anything bad to say. The entertainment staff were amazing and so friendly - especially Hector, Miguel, Danni and Rendi. There were so many different activities happening and the evening shows we unbelievable. All of the staff members here made our stay very memorable - they made sure we were well cared for and that we were having a great vacation. We got to learn a lot about the Dominican culture and lifestyle and they were interested in learning about the Canadian lifestyle as well. I would definitely recommend this resort. Thank you to everyone who helped make our vacation for memorable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lindsay C
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for five nights in late February to celebrate her birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay because of the wonderful hospitality of the outstanding staff, most notably:

Angel
Mosquito
Speedy
Danny Boy
Angelina

The staff went out of our way to ensure our stay was enjoyable. They were engaging, fun and hard-working--always with a genuine smile and greeting.

The three restaurants were excellent, but our favorite was the Brazilian steakhouse. The show each night was entertaining, and we participated in the Mr. Sexy contest as judges, yoga, water aerobics and Zumba. Most of our day was spent at the beach, then a couple of hours poolside. Each night after dinner and the show, we went to the disco where the staff taught us some dance moves.

My friend and I had an amazing girls trip. Thanks to the staff who helped make this a fun and memorable trip!

Room Tip: The junior suite was perfect for two women, complete with two full bathrooms!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

As I wait for my ride in the very pleasant lobby, I reflect upon my two days here at a conference. The staff are great. The facilities are great. Really has a good feel. Unless you have something unusual happen, you will have a nice time if you stay here.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
#13 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,204 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only

Been to Be Live Collection Marien? Share your experiences!