“Well-maintained and entertained!”

Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Toronto, Canada
“Well-maintained and entertained!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed here between March 16 & 23rd with my boyfriend and another couple. We were upgraded to partial ocean-view rooms in the 9000 building. We were also greeted warmly and offered a cold beverage (unsure if it was alcoholic, but it was delicious).
The beach was well cared for and we
The very few "cons" - we paid for a safe and found out they gave us the key style one which didn't even fit our newer combination safe. Turns out our friend's could be opened without/locked without paying. We didn't get our money back and have a bit of a communication issue trying to explain the situation. Our friends had room 9126 and the ceiling leaked when the a/c was running elsewhere. Not a big problem though.
We tried all three a la cartes and preferred the Mexican overall. Guacamole comes with shrimp and quesadillas, so there's no need to order it on its own.
There was always something good to eat at every meal. The snack bar has pizza and tortilla chips with queso sauce at 5pm every day.
The entertainment staff were pretty awesome as well! They had good shows at night and always knew how to round people up to play games during the day. Definitely go to the beach party!

Feel free to message me to find out anything specific.

Room Tip: Email management to request an upgrade and you may get lucky! All rooms are close to everything.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alyssa W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a week and we don't have anything bad to say. The entertainment staff were amazing and so friendly - especially Hector, Miguel, Danni and Rendi. There were so many different activities happening and the evening shows we unbelievable. All of the staff members here made our stay very memorable - they made sure we were well cared for and that we were having a great vacation. We got to learn a lot about the Dominican culture and lifestyle and they were interested in learning about the Canadian lifestyle as well. I would definitely recommend this resort. Thank you to everyone who helped make our vacation for memorable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lindsay C
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for five nights in late February to celebrate her birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay because of the wonderful hospitality of the outstanding staff, most notably:

Angel
Mosquito
Speedy
Danny Boy
Angelina

The staff went out of our way to ensure our stay was enjoyable. They were engaging, fun and hard-working--always with a genuine smile and greeting.

The three restaurants were excellent, but our favorite was the Brazilian steakhouse. The show each night was entertaining, and we participated in the Mr. Sexy contest as judges, yoga, water aerobics and Zumba. Most of our day was spent at the beach, then a couple of hours poolside. Each night after dinner and the show, we went to the disco where the staff taught us some dance moves.

My friend and I had an amazing girls trip. Thanks to the staff who helped make this a fun and memorable trip!

Room Tip: The junior suite was perfect for two women, complete with two full bathrooms!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

As I wait for my ride in the very pleasant lobby, I reflect upon my two days here at a conference. The staff are great. The facilities are great. Really has a good feel. Unless you have something unusual happen, you will have a nice time if you stay here.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank ndela123
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

I just returned from the DR on the 20th of March. I stayed 7 days at this hotel. It was my first time at an all inclusive and overall I had a great time.

Everything was very smooth from the minute I arrived off the plan. Staff were there waiting and greeting guests as the walk out to the buses. Drinks were also served when we headed onboard and once we arrived at the hotel.

Because we arrived at 11am rooms weren't available until 3pm so that made for a slightly awkward wait time until you realized that sitting and relaxing by the pool wasn't a bad thing!

I had an ocean view room in Block 2 which was very nice. Not overly elaborate but nice nonetheless. It had everything you would need including some good American channels on the t.v. As some of the other reviewers have noted the safety deposits box is an additional charge as is wifi, but I knew that going in so it wasn't a big concern but I would agree that it should be included if it's and all inclusive. I have a feeling the wifi is just do to the service provider in the country. The coffee machine in the bathroom is also a bit weird but you roll with it.

The beach and pool were very nice! The pool is huge. The one thing you need to know going in if you are headed there during a busy time is that people wake very early to reserve the good lounge chairs under the cabanas. I'm talking 6:30am, so if you want a good chair you have to race and put your towel down then you can leave again and come back later. The beach was very nice. There are not to many people selling things, mostly just ladies selling hair braiding and they don't hassle you once you have said no. There are other guys selling private excursions who are a little more aggressive but still pretty nice once you have said no. They have tourist police employed in the county and those guys are everywhere and they don't let you get harassed which makes for a better experience. Be careful going to places when the tourist police aren't there that's when you can be inundated with sellers.

The meals were just ok, there was nothing that blew me away. The Mexican restaurant was probably the best. There was always something to eat in the buffet but it was never my favourite. The servers were all very nice. The bartenders and the entertainment staff were among the best there though. They really worked hard. My favourite was the water aerobics instructor (I have forgotten his name) but it was fantastic!

I would recommend the city tour with the cable cars, rum factory, amber and cigar shop. It was pretty good. Ocean world and Bravissimo were also good. I didn't go but I heard amazing reviews about the Paradise Island trip which I would do next time.

The maids were very good and the room was always very clean when I returned. I had a couple of things that needed fixing and the staff were on it right away.

I would go back to this hotel again, but I would also try another one. Very good introduction to an all inclusive.

There is a weird thing that happens at check out if you are leaving early in the morning. For some reason they program the key card to deactivate immediately once morning has come, so many people were locked out of their rooms when the went for breakfast and returned to pick up their luggage for check out.

The shops their are overpriced so be careful. There are vendors that come every few days you can barter them down to lower prices and they sell the same things as does the market which is about a ten minute walk to the right down the beach.

By far the best entertainment was the Michael Jackson show, but all the entertainment was very good.

Room Tip: Bring american money. I didn't pay for a single thing in local money. American is taken more r...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Nstewart2014
Bolton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

This was out first time in the Dominican Republic and it was a lot of fun. There were many activities planned for the day and the shows were absolutely fantastic. The staff were so nice and they always had smiles on their faces. (Danawry Soto/ Danny Boy) The food was amazing and the service was excellent as well. I would most definitely recommend this hotel for families, couples and even friends. It was truly an amazing week. They even had day trips where you could go snorkeling, horseback riding, zip lining and so much more! This resort also has an amazing view of a mountain. It was great to escape the snow in Canada for a week to the nice hot sunny pool side of Be Live Grand Marien hotel in Puerto Plata Dominican Republic.

Room Tip: Pick a room where you feel is best for you. If you don't like walking up and down stairs then c...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

Dear God. Where does one even start.

I'm sure over the years I've traveled to worse places. But right now none of them come to mind. The management (other staff was mostly pleasant) were largely unhelpful (and when they believe you don't speak Spanish talk badly of you or are outright dishonest. I perhaps don't look like a Spanish speaker- but I am.) , Several rooms (yes I had to change) had leaks or stained bedcovers so this resort is run down a bit. If the rooms have been redone in the last five years, it's the best kept secret around.

The food was probably some of the worst I have ever eaten. I mean bad, I had better meals when eating food out of a package in the army. Not one meal at any of the restaurants was worthy of a complement. The drinks had a funky taste and the wine was also terrible. Good if you want to diet. Terrible for an "all inclusive" vacation.

Security was competent and that is important in the DR. But you need to be cautious as there seemed to be some access to the resort/beach,

The pool was nice and probably the best part of the "resort". The beach was OK.

Personally, I would never go back. Ever. If you must go and ignore the bad reviews, you do so at your peril. Make sure you check out the room fully when checking in. Also plan on losing some weight due to the horrendous food.

Overall, nice break from the cold? Sure. But I could get that most places in the Caribbean with better food, accommodations and service. My advice is- stay away.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
#14 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,301 reviews
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan

Been to Be Live Collection Marien? Share your experiences!