“Be live marien”

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is my second time at the be live marien .Ive been going to the dominican for the last 20 years stayed in everything from a 5 star to a 3 star. For the money you cant beat it the food is excellent, it s clean, the beach is nice, the staff is freindly. If you are looking for superior extreme service hotel this is not the place for you, we had a few bumps in the road our phone didnt work, one day we didnt have hot water, but who cares for 2 grand for 8 nights its awsome. We upgraded to a superior room which i suggest as it is more comfortable than a regular room which i stayed in 2 years ago. If you are an american dont expect to make to many freinds as most of the patrons dont speak english. As far as entertainment dont expect much most of the stage shows are the same, years of going to these things the only one that was distinguishable was a michael jackson show at dreams in punta the rest are all the same.

Golf- We played golf twice at the dorado golf course, its a pretty nice course, everything is seperate there, green fees, cart, caddie fees, and caddie tip. we played twilight two times and it cost about 120 bucks with a 20 dollar caddie tip, You dont need a caddie of course but it just part of the program, were on vacation so we just went with the flow.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank riprock55
Write a ReviewReviews (4,087)

Reviewed January 31, 2014

This wasn't a planned trip as this was the second resort we stayed at in two weeks given my girlfriends passport was stolen at our first resort. So we had to stay here for 6 days until the temporary travel document was sent.
Overall great place, we got to the resort late at night and given our 6 days there did not start until noon the next day and explained our situation. The resort kindly gave us a 50% discount for that night with no problems at all and even upgraded us to a supreme room for our stay. The a la carts are great but you have to reserve them at 9am in the morning if you want to be put on the list. Other than that the service was excellent, the staff was kind, friendly and extremely helpful. There is one huge pool which looked amazing. The restaurants were great and the beach was clear (no rocks) and fairly warm. Excellent place!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EmkiTravel
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks costing £1500 EACH! After saving for a year we were expecting a nice break and the pictures looked nice. A family of 8 of us went, me and my fella paid to upgrade our room, please do not pay for this upgrade as once we had arrived the other 6 people we had gone with who did not pay to upgrade got a upgraded room for free! On complaining to reception about this they were very rude and just said deal with it! Plus the upgraded rooms aren't that nice, the bathroom room was hanging off which let lots of Mosquitos in!!
Trying to get a sun lounger in the morning with a umbrella (
there is only about 15 umbrellas around the whole pool) is a absolute nightmare, all of them were gone by 7.30am people even put there towels on before they went to bed when it clearly states you can't do that! One day 2 of the people we went with went to the shopping centre on site and had left there sun bed for about 20 minutes and the head of security came over trying to take there towels of the bed saying they had been to long! We couldn't go for dinner as a family as he said atleast one person needed to be with the beds or else he would take the towels off. He was going round the pool taking towels of beds when people weren't there - safe to say a lot of people weren't happy and a lot of shouting! He was shouting in womens faces, pointing his finger in peoples faces and was very rude. We again reported it to reception and again nothing was done about it.
Fridges in rooms were meant to be filled everyday which there wasn't atleast 5 times we had to ring reception or get the maid for drinks. Rooms weren't cleaned till about 5-6pm when u are trying to get ready for the evening.
Food got boring after a week or so, lots of flys and wasps around food and hotel. The restaurants that u have to book into were all very good, quite limited choice but very good service.
Drinks - got a wide choose of drinks but it's just if u get the drink that u ask for or if the staff just make it up as they go along. Pool bar gets very busy especially at weekends when locals are allowed in the hotel. The queues get very big and only 1 member of staff on the bar.
The beach is nice in places but full of seaweed at the hotel, you get hassled if u go for a walk on the beach.
The photograph people in the hotel are soooo annoying!! Will not leave u alone. You will be led on your sunbed relaxing or in the pool, next minute a camera will be in you face! Everyday this happens it gets extremely annoying!
The rep Vicky who works for Thomson was absolutely amazing, so helpful and helped with the complaints we had about the room and the security man!
I read the reviews before I came to this hotel and there are a lot of bad ones and thought it can't be that bad as it's meant to be a 4* hotel and just thought people were moaning over little things. But after paying so much money we thought it would be a great hotel, but we was wrong! We have travelled to the domincan republic before and we know there are a lot better hotels for less money! Please think hard before wasting your money and coming to this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank Sarah503927
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Hello fellow travelers. This was my 3rd time in D.R. and first with wife and baby, and also first in the Puerto Plata/Costa Dorada/ Sosua region.

I have read many reviews before booking the trip so wife and I knew exactly what to expect.
Like many many reviewers already mentioned, entertainment was mediocre at best. The animacion guys and gals tried very hard but I just don't think they have the funding form the hotel.
(As an example, beat up soccer, volleyball and basket balls, beat up 'brand new' ping pong rackets). The other 2 hotels in D.R. that I stayed at were a bit higher class but the entertainment is really night and day.
The other major complaint from many people is the food. I thought that the food was all right for the 10 days that we stayed. Only 3 restaurants + buffet to choose from for dinner (and Gourmet won't allow infants so that leaves only two + buffet: Mexican and Brazilian).
Another thing that bugged me a lot are all the extra fees. For the safe $3 a night, fee to use the internet. The fees to use the spa were pretty high also but the personnel was laid back and let me stay longer, they were not sticklers about it. The spa was actually pretty decent, just very small in size.
The hotel in general is pretty small compared to other large ones I stayed at.
Overall, for the money we paid (roughly $100 a night), I can't complain too much. We had a good vacation and got a good break from NorthEast snow.

On a different note, we were probably the only Americans out of hundreds of tourists. Not that we minded at all, it was just a very different experience. It was mostly Europeans: Germans, French, some Russians and many from North Europe. Also many French speaking Canadians from Quebec region. This is just a side note for Americans who like to travel in packs. We kept mostly to ourselves and tried to make a few friends.

Word to the wise: expect mediocre entertainment, not a large choice in food and a bunch of extra fees. Make sure to have some extra cash with you for all the expenses, I recommend at least $ 500. The customer service is all right, just like everywhere in D.R., meaning they like to take their time and if you expect anything done right away, you are most likely out of luck. Although room service is available, again, for an extra fee.

Most importantly, make sure you plan how you get to the hotel. From Puerto Plata airport it's about 30-40 minutes ( we heard). From Santiago Airport, where we arrived it's about a 2 hour drive and the taxi price is $ 120 one way! (but you can get it down to a $ 100), which is a lot of money.

Also, don't get scammed by local merchants and salespeople, they always try to rip tourists off big time. Been there done that many times. The prices around the resort are double or even triple normal prices, so be ready for it. Always try to bargain with them, 99 percent of the time they will bring the price down.

I would stay at this hotel again if I found a good deal again, keeping in mind all the things I learned already.

Room Tip: Book online, deff not last minute, in advance and save a lot of money. I booked with priceline.com...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Eli K
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife and I spent the 2013 Christmas week there and it was quite nice. Food was great and staff was helpful. Still, some "glitches" that prevent us from giving a 5-stars rate:

First of all, the water pressure from the shower was very low. Even worse, two or three times we had no hot water coming down. It didn't take too long to be back, but I guess they can't keep with the supply if several people take a bath at the same time. The room was overall nice, with water, beer and pop drinks in the fridge, but there was no bottle opener!
The pool was pretty good, but guests keep "reserving" their preferred pool chairs by hanging their towels on them... they do that early in the morning so they can keep the same spot for the entire day. The hotel advises against that practice, but there is no enforcement. There was one day that we could not find an empty chair, even though there were a lot of empty "reserved" ones.
The drinks were OK, quite sweet really. Just lower your expectations and you won't be too disappointed. Same thing with the night shows. Good dancers, but not really awe-inspiring.

The food in the buffet was great, very tasty. There are three other restaurants that require reservation in advance. The Gourmet was the best (a more formal attire is required there). The Mexican was good. But the Rodizio was quite disappointing. As a native Brazilian, I can assure you the food was way below of what you can experience in Brazil (the most desirable type of meat, the "picanha" was not picanha at all!)

Overall, I would recommend the Grand Marien to a friend, but I would not die to go there for a second time (too many choices in the Caribbean!)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nilton H
Reviewed January 23, 2014

To explain,
this was our fourth visit to the Dominican, all at different venues.To be fair we have previously achieved some fantastic deals. This time the price wasn't so great and what we got for it was the least yet.
The complex struck us a smallish, by comparrison, when we arrived. The room was good and functional. We were lucky to be top floor looking on to the beach, brill.
Paying $3 per night for a key to the room safe didn't impress me, that's a first for us.
We found the food to be good. As usual by mid way through the 2nd week it was feeling a bit repetitive but good all the same.
The booze was as ever in Dominican, 24 hrs and as much as you need. If you want imported in the sports bar you pay extra but there is plenty of the local stuff to choose from. No swim up bar but a bar near the pool. We only go to the pool at the end of an afternoon anyway so hey ho.

The evening entertainment was sad. I was going to write that if it was 45 minutes long you would be lucky, but the truth is if it went on for longer than that you wouldn't want it to. Most was maybe 30 minutes long, the longest entertainment was the evenings when the audience that participated gave the staff something to work with. After meeting Micheal a couple of times (entertainer) you realise that he puts more time and effort into his hopes that you will use his services in his 'off' time to be your guide to local attractions.

I really enjoy the 'all in' water sports. Here the place is a bloody embarrassment. You will be continually harrassed to take out their insurance for the equipment that isn't worth the cost of the insurance. You will be pestered to take their excursions. We did negotiate a snorkel trip to Sosua. There was very little activity on their beach so it was something to do. It was a good trip, the snorkeling, although not up to Samui standards, was very good.
The 1 catamaran they have is far less than perfect but it sails, if there is enough wind, if there isn't too much wind, in fact many days they have some reason for no sports. The bay is full of many shallow reefs, it is difficult to enjoy the sail as you are continually aware of the effect if you strike these, so jibe, jibe and jibe again. I was hoping for my wife to develop her skills but a fair level of skill is needed to sail here. I sailed a few times but found it less than interesting.
There is only 1 windsurf 'apparently'. A bit confusing to see others on the rack that aren't available. After 20 minutes my u/j snapped. These last them about 6 months 'apparently', so I would've thought carrying spares to be reasonable. Anyway for the remaining 9 days they couldn't get a replacement so 20 minutes was my total windsurf experience here.
You can snorkel off the beach here and there is some marine life, not lots though.

We took a bus into Puerto Plata a couple of times. That's easy enough and cheap, just ask at reception which bus, A,B,C or D to where. A local older guy Dominic (yeh I wondered) tagged on to us. It turned out he is an official tourist guide (confirmed at reception later). We were going for the cable car up the mountain (big hill really) so he acted as our guide keeping other nuisances away, showing us the interesting bits we might have missed, climbing trees (at 68 years old) to get grape fruit for my wife, taking our photo many times and not running off with the camera. A useful chap who said just "give me some money if you like to". We gave him a few $'s. We were going to ring him for another excursion by local bus but didn't get around to it. We did bus to the town center supermarket and bought a good few things to bring home. The booze was cheaper at the airport by my reckoning though.

Should have done Cuba again I think it beats the Dominican, but please ignore that bit cos I don't want you lot spoiling it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank M S
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Be live from 15th January to 23rd January 2014.
I loved my stay there, it was amazing.
The resort is so clean. They go round and clean the outside and inside of the pool every morning. And throughout the day people are continually coming round cleaning around the pool.
The maid cleans you're room everyday along with fresh towels everyday. You have a mini bar in your room with water, beers and sprite and coke which is refilled when you run out. Or you can ring reception and there bring you up more.
On arrival we were greeted with a welcome drink then taken by a Golf Biggy to room with our cases taken to our room.
Their are Activities everyday in and out the pool. Water aerobics every morning. Water polo, football, table tennis, basketball, water volleyball, beach volleyball & lots of other fun games.

You can get food & drink 24 hrs a day.
Breakfast is 6.00 - 7am (continental)
Buffet breakfast is 7am - 11am
Snack bar is open from 11am - 5pm & 10.30pm til 6am
Buffet lunch is 12.30 -3pm
Dinner is 7pm -10pm

wifi is 25 dollars for 25 hrs of wifi service, which I used for a week and still had lots of time left on it. Or if you want unlimited it will cost 60 dollars.
They also have there own computer room which you can use and just pay for the time you use.

A lot of people moan on here that the sun beds get taken to early. We went to the pool around 9.30/10am everyday and managed to find 2 sun beds easy and the staff were bringing more out as the hotel got busier.

The Thompson rep 'Vicky' is amazing. Having spent 13 years there she is very knowledgeable and very helpful. Always there to help you!

I would definitely recommend staying at the Be live.

If anyone wants to know anymore feel free to email me.
Andyc_1966@hotmail.com