“Really good hotel”

Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
London, United Kingdom
“Really good hotel”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed from Sept 9 - 23 with First Choice from London and it was amazing!I'm really happy I didn't read the lots of negative comments before booking. Few days before flight I checked the reviews and I scared.
First day we had a ground floor room witch yes, was moldy, rusty nothing was working but we just had to ask the travel advisor and they resolved this quickly.After we got a very nice ocean view room for no extra money and from that time we had no problems.They clean properly no complaints and the lady was extremly friendly.

I think the food was delicious!!!!We always found something to eat and the problem was we couldn't try everything because it was a lot.The dinner was different scheme each night and it was never boring.For me the best was the Gourmet Restaurant they have very good food.Oh and the drinks...yummy!!They have many kind of coctails and all is high quality and delicious!

The entertainment was outstanding.We found a few good friends there,For example Danny, Hektor and Miguel Angel they always made us smile and always came to play table tennis or pool with us.And the day time activities were really good it was so much fun and was always something to do!However the night shows were a bit boring for me they have to practice more but we had great nights.

I can't tell much about the Pool as I spent the rest of my time at the beach but at that few times when I was there it was clean.The beach side is very nice but a bit dirty lots of people don't care about anything and even they have a few bins there they just leave the cups and plates in the sand.

About the locals.I was worry because saw that few bad experience in here and yes I have to say they can be annoying.The kids usually shouting and running and the rest of the parents don't care.But for me was ok because they staying mostly at the pool so on the beach it was still fine.And aside from this most of them are very friendly people.

Overall I think it's a good hotel for your money.I would go back again!!!

Room Tip: Try to ask 1st or 2nd floor room a lots of people said after they changed from ground floor to highe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kingu88
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs.:

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site.
In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

We also appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

The management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed September 24, 2013

In September 2013 I spent two weeks of my summer vacation at this hotel. It was my first time in the Dominican Republic and it was definitely the best vacation I have ever had. The hotel is brilliant and there is just everything you need: A beautiful beach, a huge and very clean pool, great rooms, delicious food and drinks, nice little shops, very friendly staff, and an outstanding animation team (Hector Cortes, Pollito, Silvio, the Mosquito Man and ALL the other members of the animation team 2013: you are absolutely the best! A huge thank you to all of you for always putting a smile on my face! Your commitment, your activities, and the shows at night are truly amazing! I hope to see you all next year again!).

I didn't do any sightseeing during my vacation, so I stayed at the hotel for the entire two weeks and it really didn't get boring. I kept myself busy with swimming, walking on the beach, reading, etc.

The rooms are very large, clean, and beautiful. The room cleaners mostly designed the towels and bed sheets with little flowers, which was so nice.

I don't regret spending my vacation at this hotel at all. I would definitely do it all over again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Cmtina
Dear Mr./Mrs.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you.

Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed Sep 3 - 10 with WestJet Vacations out of Toronto.

I booked a standard Gardenview room, emailed ahead of time hoping for a free upgrade.

Flight was great, transfer to the hotel was smooth, check in was easy only 3 couples checking in at 2:30pm on a Tuesday. Got to our room, they had given me a larger room, with full oceanview for free! Definitely a bonus!

Room:
Standard, king bed, small old TV but lots of english movie channels, worked fine, quite musty smelling, but it's hurricane season in the Dominican - 90% humidity all the time, I've been to Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican... mildewy smell in all the rooms and all 4.5-5 star resorts. Can't get around it, it's not the resorts fault. Bathroom was fine, hot shower anytime of the day with great water pressure. Left the maid some childrens toys and a couple american dollars everyday, had our fridge restocked everyday (nothing extra), good cleaning service. Saw a couple bugs in our room, but no mosquitos.

Food/restaurants:
Buffet was standard, different theme each night, sometimes yes, they use leftovers for lunch the next day, always found something to eat, the fresh cooked meat stations at dinner were great (pork tenderloin, roast beef, chicken skewers etc etc)
Snack bar was standard as well, great burgers, chicken wings were tasty
Gourmet a la carte is the best on the resort, great service amazing food
Brazalian was okay, the side dishes weren't that appetizing but the meat they came around with was yummy

Bars/drinks:
Great, huge drink list, friendly bartenders, best drinks seemed to be made by a little lady in the disco/sports bar in the lobby, no shortage of alcohol, i drank red label scotch while I was there as well

Pool: great, huge, clean, beautiful, no complaints

Beach: for Puerto Plata - awesome. Some seaweed out far near the buoy line, but just sand, otherwise. Snorkelled with my own snorkel saw some fish found a bunch of great shells, beach was as clean as it gets on a resort - sunrises were INSANELY gorgeous

Checkout: smooth, snipped our bands, gave us our check out card, and that was that!

Internet: bought the 25 hours of wifi for 25 dollars (lasts 6 days) great, worked anywhere on the resort (i only used it once poolside during a rain shower and the rest of the time in my room before bed)

Complaints:
My boyfriend lost his wristband that wasn't put on properly and the resort wants $15 to replace it.. would have been fine had they told us "don't lose it, it's $15 to replace it" it was just frustrating, we tipped all week, spent a bunch to get there, and they couldn't just put another plastic band on his wrist. However, we didn't have any trouble at the buffet or anything without it.

Entertainment: GREAT as all the reviews say, they aren't pushy if you don't want to participate, but are soo fun that you should! Had a great time around the pool, and on karaoke Monday nights.

In regards to the reported Thefts?
The people saying they were robbed probably helped make themselves targets in terms of flashing money or not securing things safely... since I didn't even use the safe! (it is 21 dollars to use the safe)... I locked my valuables in my luggage with a small combo lock and nothing was ever touched. I would leave my money room key and camera in my beach bag under my towel on my chair by the pool and swim out of site, come back, nothing's been touched.

Rumors:

The locals.. maybe it's because we were there in September (after kids went back to school), but hte amount of locals that came in friday/saturday leaving sunday... was NOT as bad as people made it seem to be. The pool was NOT even CLOSE to full, while yes, they can be pushy, it's more their children that are rude shoving in front at the bars etc. But it's not unbearable at all, some were friendly, some of them told their children to move away if they got to splashing too close to us as well. Definitely over exaggerated by some people reviewing

Overall:

Great resort. For the money you pay - it's a definite deal. Staff is friendly, pool, rooms and grounds are clean. Just remember, you do get what you pay for usually - if you go with a no name crappy travel company, you may end up in a run down standard room that you dislike.. the rooms are older if you don't upgrade to Building 8 or 9. they are older with out of date furniture but.. since that's not what I'm on vacation for.. it really didn't bother me at all. Our bed was comfortable and clean, bathroom working and clean.. and that's all i needed in the room! :) The beer in the fridges is El Presidente as well, not the cheap brahia stuff it normally is.

Great trip, I enjoyed myself, if it was a good price I would go back for sure.

Room Tip: Tip people - it's JUST like here at home.. you don't go for a dinner out and not tip.. these...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank briesy99
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Mr./ Mrs.:

We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacation, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.

Thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services. At the same time we would also like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Sidcup, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

After staying here in August for 2 weeks I thought I would give an honest opinion of what I think is a really good hotel!

Rooms - we were upgraded to a superior room by our travel company and was not disappointed, if you are able to upgrade I would recommend you do and take advantage of the jacuzzi in the bathroom ;)

Rooms were cleaned daily and to a high standard, the mini was also filled daily should you be fed up with the free bars ;) which is unlikely!!

Food - a lot of people say about the food being bad quality and repetitive but every night the buffet changes it theme to make it interesting.

At lunch and breakfast there were always different things to try out and more than enough desserts to choose from!

Entertainment - having been to a few all inclusive resorts I have to say that the entertainment team at this resort were the best I have had the pleasure of staying with! Big big shout outs to Hector and Danny who keep a smile on your face whenever they are around with their enthusiasm and energy even after working for the whole day non stop!! Only thing I would say is at night the hotel could do with more things to do as after the show that tends to be it - other than the disco which is open till 2am if your body can manage it after sunbathing all day! :)

Locals - everybody knows now that the locals do arrive in their masses at the weekend and treat the place like a feeding ground for them and their families but as long as you prepare for it I.e book excursions on the weekend, book the al cartes for the evening to stay out of the buffet it makes it a lot more bearable!

All in all, the hotel is a real find in the dominican and is worth every penny we paid to stay there! No job is to much for any of the staff at the hotel who will always greet you with a 'hola' as you walk by! We met some brilliant people who also made the holiday even better than it already was and would return in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: Superior sea room view was brilliant! Any sea view room would be good I'm sure! Can't beat w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jack B
Dear Mr./Mrs. :

First of all, we would like to thank for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site. We thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

Has been a pleasure for us to welcome you at the Be Live Grand Marien.

It is truly nice for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

Our warmest regards from Dominican Republic.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We booked this holiday for the end of august till the begging of september. We arrived at the hotel and everybody was so welcoming and kind considering it was my first time in this country. O
THE FOOD- the hotel food was ok, there was always a wide varity to pick from.. Breakfast offered you pancakes,toast,cereal,bacon,sausages,egg's ect, there was something for everyone.. Dinner offered you didn't types of meat- chicken,steak,beef and many more, it was followed by, wedges,chips,rice,chicken nuggets ect.. The food at the evening was pretty much the same apart from they had themed nights( mexican ect)- The snack bar was good has it offered chips, burgers,hot dogs and pizza really helpful when you have younger children with you. They always had 3 restaurants you could book onto they was all lovely and worth booking onto.
THE ENTERTAINMENT- the entertainment was amazing!! Their was alway something going on, in the day they would ask you to take part in darts,iron man,beer competition and many more. At the night they would have a different show everynight, things like micheal jackson,beach party, karoake, dominican night and many more. The entertainment staff were really welcoming and easy to get along with.. My favourties were HECTOR&DANNY-BOY, they were amazing.. They were always happy, full of energy and was happy to get you invovled in everything that happened in the hotel.. I was strongly recommend speaking to these guys as they would make your holiday loads funnier. After the shows at the night time there wasn't much to do apart from attend the disco but if you had children 12 and under you wasn't allowed in there as they are not allowed in after 10o clock and if you had children under the age of 18 they always got kicked out the disco at 12o clock!! But apart from that everything else is amazing. Just have to make it your own at night.
LOCALS- the locals joined the hotel at the weekendeds so I would recommed booking onto the restaurants as it gets a bit busy and packed out at the buffet and sometimes you was waiting a long time to actually get some dinner, apart from that their no bother.
OVERALL- it was a clean hotel, the rooms were always clean and done to perfection, clean towels clean bedding and a sparkling room everyday. The rooms were air conditions and always were provided with a hair dryer and iron! You don't have to worry about sun beds as they are plenty for everybody. The beach was clean and relaxing and had a really nice breeze to it during the day. I'd strongly recommend this hotel for a good rememberable, enjoyable holiday.. It surely isn't a let down and is worth every penny.. I'd most definality attend again! :)

Room Tip: The rooms were all good.. I was block 4 which had a beach view and was just a average clean room.. I...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Zoey L
Dear Mr./Mrs. :

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site. We thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

Has been a pleasure for us to welcome you at the Be Live Grand Marien.

Please receive our warmest regards from Dominican Republic, looking forward to see very soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We booked our annual family holiday to this destination for the end of August to the start of September, never having been to this country before, so we didn't know what to expect. Upon arrival, we were welcomed at the hotel by friendly staff, and our rep who directed us and gave us instructions as to checking in etc. Once we had finally checked in after a short amount of time, we were driven to our room block, instead of having to walk there.
We had a Sea view room, which was adjoining. We had the top floor (3rd floor) which had excellent views of the beach and sea. It was not noisy throughout the day and night which was a good thing especially as trying to sleep. Our room had all the amenities, and was quite a large room with two small double beds.
The food in the evening was also very good. The buffet restaurant had a wide variety of different foods on offer, with themed nights each evening. These included; Oriental, Italian, Dominican, Gala, BBQ and more. If these nights did not suit the guests, then there were other restaurants such as the Mexican, Gourmet and Brazilian, available most nights for everyone upon booking, included in the all inclusive. There was also a snack bar open all day and night by the beach.
One aspect of the holiday that made it great was the entertainment/animation team. They were all extremely friendly, and very funny, especially Hector, and the others, including Danauris, Michael Jackson, Pikachu, and all the rest - who's names I do not know. Each day, sports and activities were on offer from them, with competitions as well, which anybody could participate in. Some of these were Spanish Lesson, Beach Volleypool, water polo, water basketball, iron man, swimming competitions and plenty more. The animation team involved everyone and on our first day the animation team working introduced themselves to us whilst we were round by the pool. The animation team have a large amount of input to making everyone's holidays enjoyable.
Overall, all the staff who work there are very friendly and will do anything to try to help you throughout your holiday. They give you great service and make sure you have an enjoyable stay. I would definitely stay at this hotel again, was fantastic!

Room Tip: The Sea View rooms have great views of the Sea.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Ameliamelia18

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed here in aug for 2weeks. I have looked through other reviews and sometimes think people only write about the bad. We had a fab holiday - the weather was great, we even enjoyed the daily cloud as it gave a bit of respite from the heat, and although some fairly tropical rain, it was over quick. We met some lovely people and spent hours in the pool admiring the mountainous back drop. Drinks were great, very generous measures and the food was very tasty. I think it's unfair to complain about the Buffet as it catered well for everyone. There was a little repetition, but not as much as I expected, it was a good standard food and it was plentiful. The 3 a la cartes were also great, all worth a couple of visits. Staff were lovely, always smiling and helpful. Only downer were the time share guys who we had to dodge a couple of times! Our rep vicky was lovely and pulled one out of the bag for us at the airport!! We did a couple of trips which were great, outback safari is a must, and we went off for a tour of the city and cable car on our own with a taxi and guide - a great day as well.
The only downside to this lovely hotel - and it is one that would stop me returning, is the ridiculous amount of locals who pour in at weekends. I wasn't at all prepared for how many extra people there were, even though the hotel were. The otherwise huge pool suddenly didn't seem to have any spare room, the theatre was unbelievably packed and the restaurant almost couldn't get enough massive tables in - these people travelled in groups of at least 12!! Talking to other holidaymakers, it seems its synonymous with the area, but it definitely spoils the weekends. To combat, we booked a la cartes and shipped out to the beach!
That said, I loved my holiday and would return to the Dom rep, but I'd try the other side of the island next time. Yes, my room was a bit tired, but not to complaining point -all we did was sleep in it - and yes, it didn't cost as much as other parts of the Caribbean, so keep it all in proportion! For the same price, we could have gone to Tunisia, so why would I moan!!
Don't rule this hotel out because we had a ball!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tbagg2016
Dear Mr./Mrs.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we also put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process, which leads us to achieve service excellence.

Best Regards,