We stayed here in aug for 2weeks. I have looked through other reviews and sometimes think people only write about the bad. We had a fab holiday - the weather was great, we even enjoyed the daily cloud as it gave a bit of respite from the heat, and although some fairly tropical rain, it was over quick. We met some lovely people and spent hours in the pool admiring the mountainous back drop. Drinks were great, very generous measures and the food was very tasty. I think it's unfair to complain about the Buffet as it catered well for everyone. There was a little repetition, but not as much as I expected, it was a good standard food and it was plentiful. The 3 a la cartes were also great, all worth a couple of visits. Staff were lovely, always smiling and helpful. Only downer were the time share guys who we had to dodge a couple of times! Our rep vicky was lovely and pulled one out of the bag for us at the airport!! We did a couple of trips which were great, outback safari is a must, and we went off for a tour of the city and cable car on our own with a taxi and guide - a great day as well.
The only downside to this lovely hotel - and it is one that would stop me returning, is the ridiculous amount of locals who pour in at weekends. I wasn't at all prepared for how many extra people there were, even though the hotel were. The otherwise huge pool suddenly didn't seem to have any spare room, the theatre was unbelievably packed and the restaurant almost couldn't get enough massive tables in - these people travelled in groups of at least 12!! Talking to other holidaymakers, it seems its synonymous with the area, but it definitely spoils the weekends. To combat, we booked a la cartes and shipped out to the beach!
That said, I loved my holiday and would return to the Dom rep, but I'd try the other side of the island next time. Yes, my room was a bit tired, but not to complaining point -all we did was sleep in it - and yes, it didn't cost as much as other parts of the Caribbean, so keep it all in proportion! For the same price, we could have gone to Tunisia, so why would I moan!!
Don't rule this hotel out because we had a ball!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be Live Collection Marien is an all-inclusive 5-star resort in Puerto Plata, located in the northern coast of the Dominican Republic. With a privileged location synonymous of beautiful settings and its heavenly beaches, it is a perfect place to spend a relaxing vacation whether it is for a romantic getaway or for a family fun adventure. The resort features a spa, nearby golf course for guests and event facilities ideal for hosting special events. This complex is located 1 hour from Santiago de Los Caballeros, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata, known for its rum factories and 30 minutes from Gregorio Luperon International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Be Live Collection Marien reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Marien Hotel Puerto Plata
- Grand Oasis Marien Hotel
- Coral Marien Puerto Plata
- Oasis Marien
- Marien Coral Resort
- Grand Oasis Marien Puerto Plata