During the first week of June, me and my wife stayed at the Be Live Grand Marien hotel in Puerto Plata. The hotel got his pro and cons. Here it's my pro vs cons.
The Hotel is in a nice town, Puerto Plata. A lot of things to do outside the hotel. You got Ocean World just 15 min. away, also you have El Teleferico, Sosua Beach and Maimon. It's also near Damajagua where you can go and do the 27 Charcos.
The entertainment staff of the Hotel is 5 Stars. Hector was one of the guys that was always talking to people, a very nice person! Always helpful and available for any kind of question or concern not only with the Hotel, but also with the surroundings of the Hotel.
The room was always clean. The maid services was a nice person and humble.
The Brazilian Rest. the Rodizio was incredible good. There we got 4 free shots of Mamajuana!!
The pool games, such as Basketball, volleyball and water polo were nice, we got a chance to interact with people from all over the world.
The guys at the bars were open to please us by any means. My wife did not know what to drink, so they help her making some drinks for her.
There was a young lady every morning at the Buffet breakfast that treat us like if we were invisible. At one point we asked for coffee 3 times, she went on to serve coffee to everyone around us, except us.
There's no Pool Bar!!!! The only bar near the pools is far away from the fun parts of the pool. I would take out the small island in the middle of the pool and put a Bar right there!!!
The beach... this is a pro-con. The beach is nice in the morning, but once the wind start to arrive the beach, the sand feels like small sharps hitting you!!!
The snack bar, I was expecting more from the snack bar. Only have a few pizzas and burgers. It was not like all major hotels in Punta Cana, that they are all snack buffet types.
The Buffet need improvement!!! More FOOD to CHOOSE FROM!!!!
The reservations to the Restaurants. I arrived on Monday around 2:00 pm. So we went on to reserve for the 3 restaurants they have (Gourmet, Rodizio and the Mexican). I found out that you can only reserve from 9am-1pm. So we could not get a reservation for Monday night. Next day I already got a reservation for Ocean World. They would go to pick me up at 8am. So I went to front desk and explained to them my situation about the reservation for the restaurants. The girl told me that she could not do anything for me. I was upset, and even told her to see if she could make the reservation for me for the Gourmet restaurant that night. She said NO. So i went to my Ocean World tour that day. We came back around 4:30 pm and there was a guy on the reservation desk. I went to him and explained again my situation to see if I could reserve for that night restaurant and he told me NO. SO thanks to the very pleasant people in front desk and reservation desk I did NOT have a chance to try the Gourmet restaurant. The thing that bother me the most, was that the restaurant there was always open tables, but because of the damn reservation they did not let me enjoy their Gourmet Restaurant.. so THANKS for nothing! I did get to reserve for the Mexican and Brazilian one. The Mexican was OK, and the Rodizcio was GOOD!
DO NOT TAKE A TOUR IN THE HOTEL!!!!!!! We asked for a snorkeling tour in the Hotel. They told us it was $45 p/p. We were 2, so that was $90 gift for them. A group of 4, we rent a car and drove all the way to Sosua. There we found a snorkeling tour. We ended up paying $30 for all 4!!! We did the snorkeling in Sosua and spend some time in the beach. A friend of us, took the 7 Charcos Tour, where they paid over $70 p/p. If you go just outside the hotel, there are people with white shirts offering the same tours way much cheaper. And if you made it to the Place where the Tours starts (their main office) you can for sure get way much better prices than in the hotel or their surroundings!
So, would I go back again? YES. Even though I got some stuff that I did not like, I really like the Puerto Plata town. There are a lot of things to do outside the hotel. If you prefer to stay all your vacations inside the Hotel, then go to Punta Cana. If you want to explore the real Dominican Republic, their people, their culture, then you should go to Puerto Plata and try what they got to offer. I gave the hotel a 7 out of 10 rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be Live Collection Marien is an all-inclusive 5-star resort in Puerto Plata, located in the northern coast of the Dominican Republic. With a privileged location synonymous of beautiful settings and its heavenly beaches, it is a perfect place to spend a relaxing vacation whether it is for a romantic getaway or for a family fun adventure. The resort features a spa, nearby golf course for guests and event facilities ideal for hosting special events. This complex is located 1 hour from Santiago de Los Caballeros, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata, known for its rum factories and 30 minutes from Gregorio Luperon International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Be Live Collection Marien reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Marien Hotel Puerto Plata
- Grand Oasis Marien Hotel
- Coral Marien Puerto Plata
- Oasis Marien
- Marien Coral Resort
- Grand Oasis Marien Puerto Plata