“Nice Hotel, Love Puerto Plata!!!”

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed June 11, 2013

During the first week of June, me and my wife stayed at the Be Live Grand Marien hotel in Puerto Plata. The hotel got his pro and cons. Here it's my pro vs cons.

Pro:
The Hotel is in a nice town, Puerto Plata. A lot of things to do outside the hotel. You got Ocean World just 15 min. away, also you have El Teleferico, Sosua Beach and Maimon. It's also near Damajagua where you can go and do the 27 Charcos.

The entertainment staff of the Hotel is 5 Stars. Hector was one of the guys that was always talking to people, a very nice person! Always helpful and available for any kind of question or concern not only with the Hotel, but also with the surroundings of the Hotel.

The room was always clean. The maid services was a nice person and humble.

The Brazilian Rest. the Rodizio was incredible good. There we got 4 free shots of Mamajuana!!

The pool games, such as Basketball, volleyball and water polo were nice, we got a chance to interact with people from all over the world.
The guys at the bars were open to please us by any means. My wife did not know what to drink, so they help her making some drinks for her.

Cons:

There was a young lady every morning at the Buffet breakfast that treat us like if we were invisible. At one point we asked for coffee 3 times, she went on to serve coffee to everyone around us, except us.

There's no Pool Bar!!!! The only bar near the pools is far away from the fun parts of the pool. I would take out the small island in the middle of the pool and put a Bar right there!!!

The beach... this is a pro-con. The beach is nice in the morning, but once the wind start to arrive the beach, the sand feels like small sharps hitting you!!!

The snack bar, I was expecting more from the snack bar. Only have a few pizzas and burgers. It was not like all major hotels in Punta Cana, that they are all snack buffet types.

The Buffet need improvement!!! More FOOD to CHOOSE FROM!!!!

The reservations to the Restaurants. I arrived on Monday around 2:00 pm. So we went on to reserve for the 3 restaurants they have (Gourmet, Rodizio and the Mexican). I found out that you can only reserve from 9am-1pm. So we could not get a reservation for Monday night. Next day I already got a reservation for Ocean World. They would go to pick me up at 8am. So I went to front desk and explained to them my situation about the reservation for the restaurants. The girl told me that she could not do anything for me. I was upset, and even told her to see if she could make the reservation for me for the Gourmet restaurant that night. She said NO. So i went to my Ocean World tour that day. We came back around 4:30 pm and there was a guy on the reservation desk. I went to him and explained again my situation to see if I could reserve for that night restaurant and he told me NO. SO thanks to the very pleasant people in front desk and reservation desk I did NOT have a chance to try the Gourmet restaurant. The thing that bother me the most, was that the restaurant there was always open tables, but because of the damn reservation they did not let me enjoy their Gourmet Restaurant.. so THANKS for nothing! I did get to reserve for the Mexican and Brazilian one. The Mexican was OK, and the Rodizcio was GOOD!

DO NOT TAKE A TOUR IN THE HOTEL!!!!!!! We asked for a snorkeling tour in the Hotel. They told us it was $45 p/p. We were 2, so that was $90 gift for them. A group of 4, we rent a car and drove all the way to Sosua. There we found a snorkeling tour. We ended up paying $30 for all 4!!! We did the snorkeling in Sosua and spend some time in the beach. A friend of us, took the 7 Charcos Tour, where they paid over $70 p/p. If you go just outside the hotel, there are people with white shirts offering the same tours way much cheaper. And if you made it to the Place where the Tours starts (their main office) you can for sure get way much better prices than in the hotel or their surroundings!

So, would I go back again? YES. Even though I got some stuff that I did not like, I really like the Puerto Plata town. There are a lot of things to do outside the hotel. If you prefer to stay all your vacations inside the Hotel, then go to Punta Cana. If you want to explore the real Dominican Republic, their people, their culture, then you should go to Puerto Plata and try what they got to offer. I gave the hotel a 7 out of 10 rate.

Room Tip: Ask for Rooms with Ocean View or in the New Buildings.. I found out that those new buildings are way...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alextm21
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Mr./Mrs.:

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacation, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process, which leads us to achieve service excellence.

We appreciate the observations concerning the attitude of some hotel personnel and we apologize for the impression you may have received from some employee. We would also like to extend our most sincere apologies for any other difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Please receive our warmest regards.

Cordially,
The management

There are newer reviews for Be Live Collection Marien

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Every year I travel to the Dominican Republic with my family and every year I visit the Be Live Gran Marien in Puerto Plata. Unfortunately, this hotel has gone downhill. I was so disappointed with the up-keeping of the rooms and the food quality. The humidity and the smell of the rooms are unbearable. I almost had an asthma attack due to the horrible smell. Sheets were dirty and the blankets were all broken with holes all over. The food was not appetizing. To say the least it looked and smelled like dog food. During our stay we lived of Doritos and chips, which we bought in their shop. On our second day there we had to order Domino Pizza from outside. We did not want to die of starvation. so we decided to change hotel to the Iberostar, right next door to them. Making reservations to their restaurants was impossible because we were told upon arrival that we needed to make reservations before 1 PM and we got there after. The next day we tried to make reservations to the Brazilian Restaurant, but they were close. They did not offer any other alternative for us to eat. One night they had the Asian night, but my family is allergic to seafood and that was all they had in the buffet. I tasted their lo mein, but it tasted like they had spilled a whole bottle or soy sauce in it and accidentally spilled a bucket of water in it. The decoration on their food was awful and not pleasant. Their scrambled eggs had a whole lot of parsley in them, which made them taste like trees or some kind of grass. You must stay away from the men in white shirts because they want to waste your vacation time on selling you timeshare or vacation spots. There were lots of mosquitoes in the room and the smell almost made me vomit. They should also purchase new televisions for the rooms. They don;t make the ones they currently have anymore. .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank gqueliz
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Mr. / Mrs.:

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us through this web site. Thank you for selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for vacationing at the Dominican Republic.

We appreciate your comments since they help us to improve on our services.

We understand that there is always room for improvement, your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

ATT:

Reviewed June 8, 2013

It was a great stay at this hotel. I have never done an all-inclusive before so had no idea what to expect. But the staff were really helpful. The pool areas were very clean and well maintained. The rooms are very clean and well appointed. There is always food and drink to be had and served with a smile. The food quality is the only thing that I would have a gripe about. The burger in the beach Snack Bar was awful and some of the other food was a bit ropey but that may just be what all-inclusives are like. We got a great rate on expedia and they are having a summer sale now, so it was very well priced.

Room Tip: I would suggest going for ground floor near the pool. We were in building 8 and it was very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MATTHEW F

Dear Mr./Mrs. :

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion. We thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

On the other hand, we would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was there only a week ago and I will say that the place is very nice but the services of the hotel lack some extra. Example one afternoon I went to the restaurant by the beach to eat pizza and they told me pizza was made only after 5:00 PM which does not make any sense on an all inclusive hotel. Also at the buffet sometimes you have to wait for a while to get your glass of water filled up, and the buffet was very small even so the foot was excellent.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael P

Dear Mr./Mrs.:

We appreciate the observations and at the same time we apologize for any inconvenience and the impression you may have received.

Warm Regards!!!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

First off shout outs to Hector, Pikachu, Patricia, Danny Boy, Sexy Belly, and photographer Elias there are some people I forgot to mention but I can't remember their names. Staff by the poolside and entertainment were the kindest, most organized people for a resort. The flow of the games were so well organized and fun. They went out of their way to introduce themselves and get everyone involved. Right beside the pool side when games aren't going on you can take out balls, equipment to play in the pool with. There are two ping pong tables, pool tables, foosball tables, Chess boards outside, beach volleyball, water volleyball, water basketball, aqua fit, and dancing. Music was great outside, had a good variety.

My name is Hollie, I went on a trip with my mom and sister. We went for pleasure for 5 days. When our plane arrived we knew which bus to get on and they won't leave without you. They are very informative and it's only a 10 minute scenic route to the hotel. We stayed in a standard room on the third floor still over looking the pool, restaurants and are still able to see the mountains and the ocean.
Just a heads up when you come to your room, you may have to wait at least 15 to 20 minutes before you get your luggage, which they drive to you in a golf cart. Rooms are beautiful, and cleanly. Everyday the sheets are re-freshen, the fridge is stocked, make sure if there are some things you would rather stocked you mention to your maid. They are very organized and they all work together and have a set schedule of what time they bring things to your room. Everyday she made the bed, towels were created in new animals, and fresh picked flowers.

The hotel is all inclusive, the food is amazing, healthy options tons of variety. I being a vegetarian and eatting no meat there were tons of options for me as well where you can get your protein. The A-le-carte restaurants you book across the front desk. There is the disco in the lobby, an internet cafe as well. You can only get wireless internet in the lobby apparently. I didn't use this feature but that was what I was told. They have an awesome drink menu that you can look off of if you don't know what to order. The staff everywhere were so nice. *** one thing to mention the excursion people will ask you to go away on trips and sell time-share, just be careful.
There are 3 seperate pool areas and the beach is a 2 minute walking distance between pools and beach. Make sure you wear bug spray in the evening it get's a bit buggy.
At 9:30 each night they have entertainment and every night it was excellent. They are extremely talented and they have a bar right beside the entertainment room so you can order drinks there. The dance club PURE is the biggest in Puerto Plata but you do have to buy your own drinks there.
There is a spa and more shops in front of the lobby which are great.
One big thing I will mention is that if you win the jackpot don't expect to get paid. People by the beach come down from shops down the beach and will lure you to their shops but everything that is there at the resort.
Overall great experience and I hope to be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hollie S

Dear Mrs. Mr.:

We greatly appreciate your time for sharing with us and all Trip Advisor readers your experience at the Be Live Grand Marien; we would also like to thank you for your selection.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We thank you for your kindness comments!!!

They are very important for us, since we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion, definitely they helps us to improve on our services. At Marien guest satisfaction is our top priority.

Please receive our best greetings from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you, and of course, will be very nice to welcome you back at the hotel.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed at Be Live Hotel May 24-28. The Beach and pool are beautiful, great activities during the day and night offered by the hotel, food was great. Downside of the hotel is the front desk people are RUDE!, our door handle was broken the first morning we were there and it took them 3 days to totally fix the issue, the bed was so hard I felt like I was sleeping on an ironing board, they have time share sells people that hound you in the morning or by the pool when you want to relax, and if you are not annoyed already once we went to check out someone had made a $30 local phone call to a cell phone from our room....I had to fight that charge, telling them to talk to their staff. Great location for excursions but would not stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jma7300
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here from April 8-13th, 2013. I had exchanged a Marriott timeshare for this room. He used his credit card to pay for the required "all inclusive" fee. A week or so after we returned home, he tried to use his credit card and it was declined. Apparently someone in the DR tried to use his card at a local grocery store. Also, we were given a yellow wrist band which branded vs. green from many other people. This must have been because we were timeshare owners. When walking to breakfast one morning we were stopped and told we were VIP and could get a special breakfast, so we went for it. Got led to a building, made to wait for 15 minutes, taken to another location, by this time it's almost been 45 minutes. Long story short, they are selling a "Lifestyle" program which I won't go into details here, but it's along the lines of a timeshare in some respects. Just beware if you are told you are VIP...

The location is such that you cannot walk anywhere, you must take a cab, which isn't cheap. People constantly approach you on the beach to braid your hair, sell you shells, or try to lore you to their store "just over there".

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple