“The good bad & ugly - overall a nice vacation”

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Long Island, NY
“The good bad & ugly - overall a nice vacation”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

First the good...We arrived at the resort early-since we switched our timeshare we were given a yellow bracelet as "VIP". George at reception seemed very nice & said that we should walk around & get familiar & get something to eat as check in is at 3PM & we were early. The resort is beautiful. Grounds & all different kinds of Palm trees around make you feel like you are in a real tropical paradise. The pool is huge & is the center of all the attractions. It was really windy the first few days & you could not stay on the beach as you would get sand blasted. The entertainment team works really hard & long hours. They all have great attitudes & are always upbeat. We enjoyed the craziness & antics. The servers in the buffet restaurants were great & smiling. The specialty restaurants were great. We enjoyed all of them & ate twice at Gourmet. The shows were entertaining. In the buffet salads, breads & cheeses were wonderful. Personally the other food was fair & I did not really care for it. The few times I tried a cooked meat it had tons of fat on it & I did not like it. When we arrived a our room, we were told the maid would be there with towels in a few minutes. The living room had a twin bed in it. No sofa?? I asked about it & was told some rooms had couches & some have twin beds. A bit weird. The room was clean. Our maid made towel creatures everyday which we enjoyed. We had a separate bedroom which was very nice. It had a TV that only got 7 channels none of which were in English. The TV in the living room was larger & had some English TV shows. We wanted the news primarily. I decided to shower only had 1 hand towel. My husband went looking for the maid to get towels. The shower was ice cold. I could not regulate to a hot temp. Not a good start. When I got out of the shower the towels still were not there so I dried my self with the only hand towel in the room. I started to dry my hair & the dryer went on fire...OMG...I pulled the plug & the dryer continued to smoke. I ran to the phone but no dial tone. The phone is not working. Now I dress quickly & run into the hallway screaming "FIRE" Thank God the maid was coming down the hall--but did not speak any English. She knew I was upset as I was panicked & crying & yelling "FIRE". She came into our room & smelled smoke & called maintenance immediately. We opened the doors to air out the place & all the sliding doors. Immediately someone came in & changed the hairdryer & phone. It's a bit hard due to the language gap, but sign language & pointing did the trick. They also switched the TV's so we could get English in our bedroom to watch TV. We ate that night at the Buffet & watched the show. Since our bed was like a board, they provided several blankets to put under the sheet to help soften it, and gave us 2 more pillows. The were very abliging. After breakfast on day 2 we were snagged by a guy who saw our "yellow bracelet" stating we are VIP & should go with him to this office area for free internet & top shelf liquor. We told him we are not interested in a time share presentation, but he insisted it was not & took us over. Of course it was deceiving. This is WRONG of the resort to have these guys waiting for the prey.! We finally picked up our bags & said we want to lay by the pool, & the guy said so did he?! Really--This is my vacation & his job!
One day we booked a “English speaking” taxi driver with George. He told us it was $45 & we would be taken to Rum Factory, Cable car, Downtown, & shopping at a store with local prices & the fort. We got in taxi & asked the driver if he spoke English. He said a little. He pulled out of complex & picked up this guy who said driver does not speak English & he is the guide but works on tips. This is not what we expected, but decided to go with it. The tour went well until he took us to his friends store downtown-like the orange market on the beach. (not where we were suppose to go) We purchased a few items & walking back to the taxi-some guy was hammering a metal cylinder making designs & it popped out of his hand & hit me in the ankle while walking outside of his shop. Wrong place-Wrong time. I was deeply cut & it was bleeding like crazy. The guy didn’t even budge. No apology or anything?! Another guy gave me some tissues & a chair & our tour guide ran to get ice. The police drove by, looked & kept going. We had to cut tour short & when we got to resort, the taxi driver told the guide we owe $50 - Not what was told to us. I was still bleeding & had to walk to my room so my husband paid him, and gave the tour guide $25 tip-an expensive & upsetting day. We told George about it & said no English speaking driver, wrong fee, not taken to correct shopping area & I was hurt but George just seemed annoyed as he is the one we trusted & he set this up. This is a poor representation & trust in the resort. He said he would call the taxi service?! We would have tipped the taxi driver $10 if he was an English speaking driver & did not have to have another tour guide that required a large tip. There were mosquitos also but the resort had a person come to your room to spay if you wanted. We used repellant & were fine. All n All we had great weather. The resort is beautiful. Most of the staff is friendly & we showed our appreciation with tips.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We are 2 females in our early 20s, and it was our first time travelling alone. We chose Be Live Grand Marien based on the many good reviews. Safe resort, great accommodation, friendly staff, fun entertainment, and good food -- all of which we were looking for and found at Be Live!

The hotel arranged a comfy air-conditioned shuttle bus for our 20-minute ride from the airport for 35 USD. The staff was very welcoming and check-in was quick. We requested Block 8 (check other travellers' tips!). Its location was convenient to everything, right by the pool, and it looked new and well-kept. A lovely housekeeping lady, Asngion, kept our 3rd floor room very clean.

If you want beach chairs under a hut for some shade, you must wake up early to reserve (before 8). It was very windy by the beach but still lovely. The pool area was well-maintained with a bar and entertainment all day: water aerobics, sports in the pool, dance lessons, etc. A big shout out to HECTOR, DANAURYS, and the rest of the entertainment team for making it super fun and enjoyable for us all week long. They work really hard and they really know how to make people laugh. Animación excelente!

The Buffet Restaurant was pretty good. The food was never all the same. I loved the fresh fruits; don't miss out on the variety of fresh fruit juices at breakfast! We also tried the other restaurants and the food was pretty decent as well. It was a nice change from the buffet food.

Big shout outs go to RONALD, CASEY, ISRAEL, and the rest of the dining staff at the Brazilian and Mexican restaurants for their amazing service. We really enjoyed having dinner there as we shared quite a few laughs and they truly made our night every time we visited. :)

For some fun and adventure, check out the disco on the resort (11pm - 2am) and Pure Disco beside the Casino (locals go here too; apparently the party doesn't start until 2 am). We also went to Paradise Island, the Waterfalls, and horseback riding. All were wonderful and worth the extra money! We booked with Edwin from Jurassy Tours (at the beach; much cheaper than the hotel Travelplan tours) and we had no problem. He'll give you a discount if you book more than one, just talk it out with him. We paid partially as a deposit, then the rest on the day of each trip.

All in all, I truly could not have asked for a better vacation. We made many unforgettable memories staying at Be Live. I would love to go back and I'd definitely recommend my family and friends to check out Be Live Grand Marien.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was our first time to the Dominican Republic. The resort is a short 20 mins from the airport which was a good start. Quick check in, the reception staff were very friendly and we were given a beach front room which was great and we were driven by golf buggy to our room. The room itself was nothing special but the air con was cold and the room was very clean. The resort itself was great, the beach was clean, the pool area was perfect for all ages, all day entertainment which really made the holiday. The entertainment team worked extremely hard to get people involved in various fun activities and it really did make the days enjoyable and made it very easy to meet other holiday makers of all ages and nationalities. The food buffet was decent enough - again not 5 star but we were all happy with the food. Breakfast was good, lunch and evening meals were ok. There are 3 other restaurants: A mexican which was our least favourite, a Brazilian which was decent and the Gourmet which was by far the best and I would make sure you book.

Overall this is a great resort and I would definitely go back.

Big shout out to the Entertainment Team - they really worked hard and made our holiday: Hector and Victor deserve a special mention for making us laugh every day and really going that extra mile. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Adam L
Sayreville, New Jersey
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Horrible hotel. If you are trying to enjoy a vacation do not go to this place. The rooms are horrible, mosquitos everywhere. The food is simply horrendous. The security guards and staff are creepy. The time I went I heard around 6 girls and an elderly man got all their money robbed from their room. Someone went in when these girls went out and stole everything valuable they have.

- It is pathetic that they charge you around $6 a day to "rent a safe". They should be providing these for free in the first place. The staff is not courteous at all. They seem to not care whatsoever. I went to guest services to get something and the people working there would be on their cell phones for a few minutes before they even answered me. I also requested for a towel and extra blanket during my stay there. I received those items three days later and a day before I was about to leave the place. I asked the front desk to get rid of the mosquitoes several times and they never did a single damn thing

-The club near the hotel called PURE seemed sketch as hell. There was a security guard outside with a rifle standing there, which shows you that this place is not safe at all. Ever since I heard the story about the girls getting robbed and seeing the kind of people there, I did not feel safe throughout my trip

In all my travel experience, this was Definitely the worst. I am literally shocked to see some decent reviews here of this hotel. This hotel should have been out of business a long time ago.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sigma C
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

What an amazing trip, beach location was stunning, hotel picturesque, food tastey, but the entertainment team........wow! A huge thankyou to Hecter, Reggie, Dani and Denzel for making our holiday unforgetable and teaching me to dance (not easy)! Staff were fantastic and I would recommend this resort to anyone needing a pick me up!

Take your dancing shoes!

Room Tip: go for a sea view, its beautiful as the sun comes up.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I just got back from a week at the Be Live Grand Marien in Puerto Plata. When I was looking for a solo trip I stumbled across a singles package they were offering for this specific week. I couldn't find much info on it, but thought what the hell. It was the same cost as other packages, but without the singles supplement addition. After reading the mixed reviews on the resort, I thought why not and booked it. I arrived late to the hotel(flight issues), and missed out on the initial meet and greet with the group, and there seemed to be a bit of a communication issue where the staff were not aware of what what going on with the package. It turns out we were given VIP wrist bands, and had access to benefits that I didn't know I was going to get(upgraded room, special events for the group, free excursions etc..) It took a day to get in touch with the Coordinator of the events (Victor), and then things went smoother. I met the other group (13) of us, and we all ended up having a great time. I'm not going to say everything was great, but all in all the trip was great. If you go down to have fun and enjoy your vacation, and take advantage of all the resort has to offer and don't sweat the small stuff you will have a great time. The rooms I saw looked nice, although I had a king sized bed, it was a bit harder then I prefer, and it took a couple days to get the hang of the A/C, spent 2 nights freezing and just coming from -5 weather that says something. The food in the buffet was well ok, nothing to write home about, the ala carte restaurants especially the Brazilian were much better. I would highly recommend this one. The pool was good, the beach was kept clean, but if you wanted a lounge chair get to one fast in the morning. The disco in the resort was fun, and I really suggest being nice to the bartenders. I read some people had problems getting drinks or waiting, but I was polite to them and never had an issue. I have been to DR before at a resort down the road and was disappointed, but this trip I had a blast. The entertainment staff work hard to get everyone involved, and wants you to have fun, so take advantage of this. A special kudo's goes out to Victor the coordinator. Great guy, takes an actual interest in you, and wants to make sure you have a great time. If they run the single program again and you are thinking about traveling alone, I would jump on it. It's a great value, and you will have a great time. Two things I would suggest that the resort works on, is 1 is they need to promote that package more next time, and if you have an issue while there, understand that the staff see hundreds of people cycle through there every week, and really do want to help you. When you have an issue cause they do come up, take a breath, and if your polite to the staff they will help you, and go out of their way to fix whatever the issue was, but if you are aggressive, or impatient they will be less inclined to help you, just like anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Robert P
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

This was the best holiday I have experienced.........the place...the partying.....but the people are what made it. The hotel workers I have never seen anything like it, their energy and commitment is amazing, especially Hector and Danawry and Michael Jackson. They all made the holiday absolutely brilliant and can't wait to be back there :) thank you for makin our holiday !!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank DanRex
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs.:

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us through this web site.

Thank you for selecting our Be Live Grand Marien at the Dominican Republic. It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you have enjoyed with us , you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

We also appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

One more time thank you for your selection, receive our warm Regards.

ATT: