“Everything I expected”

Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Jackson Heights, New York, United States
“Everything I expected”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Before arriving at the hotel, I knew not to expect a 5 start experience. Just a nicely ran hotel with a comforting staff that hopefully served good food. And I got just what I asked for. The Grand Marien is a great place to stay if you're on a budget. Their prices are pretty good and they live up to good service. The food was pretty good, the pool was nice, the beach was great and the staff do their best to make sure one has a great experience there. I went in the begging of March and there were more people than I expected this time of year. The crowd mostly consisted of small families, couples, and a few ederly people. I did however enjoy the show some guests put on at the bar, underage girls not knowing how to handle their liquor and making fools of themselves. Overall, I would recommend this resort to anyone as it fits as a nice 2 day getaway and you really don't have much to loose by checking it out. By the way, safe resort overall and pretty good job in keeping the rooms cleans.

Room Tip: try going during spring break or the summer time to catch a younger crowd.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lewis U
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs.:
We would like to thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

We thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.
Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I've been to a few resorts, The Be Live resort provided the best food so far. The beach is pretty dirty and there are lots of local on the beach trying to sell you products and services. If you want to braid your hair, beware! As they ask you to walk all the way down to the end of the beach across the bridge which there is a small village and you have to have your hair done on the street. Communication with staff is terrible, maybe their first language is Spanish. There is a casino next door. You need to pay for wifi, I think it's $24 usd per day.

Room Tip: If you have a stroller, make sure you request ground floor rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Belippy
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs.:

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacations, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.

As a service company we do understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process, thank you for your comments!!! The appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

About the vendors you have mentioned; unfortunatly this is an external asociation, that is not under the hotel control.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

Cordially,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Yes I have reviewed before, and unfortunately they only let me review every 3 months. I have been to the Marien 5 times within the last year. April 2012, July 2012, September 2012, Christmas 2012 and New Years 2013 , and again in Feb/March 2013. If you are on facebook please join my group Be Live Grand Marien Puerto Plata for more information or to ask me any questions.

Christmas and New Years was absolutely beautiful I would recommend it to everyone! The feasts were amazing, animacion worked extra hard over christmas wearing hot santa suits etc.. Lots of activities for the children! (I went with my 3 year old Tyler, who knows and loves all of the animacion and will stay friends for life with many of them) The lights in the city and on the resort made it that much more beautiful. They lit up Puerto Plata for the 2 weeks we stayed from Dec 20th-Jan3rd. New Years was also amazing! The best New Years party I have ever been to and Tyler had an amazing time. I was so happy that night. Live music, they hand out hats and noise makers!! There was beautiful fireworks on the beach (one of the longer fireworks displays I have ever seen.) The animacion was happy and fully into Christmas and New Years on the resort even though they were working and not at home with their families.

On to our more recent trip to the Marien from February 22- March 8th. I left my son at home and was happy to come sola. I have actually never felt more safe on any resort and it is so easy to become close and attached to the staff at the hotel. Bartenders, animacion, even maids. I have never had a problem with ANYTHING everrrr being stolen from me in 5 different times at the hotel like other people are saying in their reviews. My problem lies soley in the fact that I do get close to the staff and the staff is changing so much, especially the animacion. So enjoy while you are there but do not get attached to the animacion team. In the last year I have already said goodbye to 4 really close friends. Most of which were a shock to find out that they were gone!!!! Hector (P.Diddy), Cuchy Cuchy, Franklin (dancer), and Carlos (bartender). I was devastated. Lucky I have been able to keep in touch with some.

My favourite part of the Marien is obviously the people. To name a few from animacion, Johnny Lantigua (thank god he is back), Denzel Washington, Flaco (Denawry), Sexy Belly, Sandy, Alberto, Michelle, Angie, Patricia, Michael Jackson, Rosa, Mosquito, Luis, Chamo, Victor, Veronica, Sophie, & Pikachu.

The food on the resort is amazing. I am just sick of it. Eating the same things for 2 weeks every 2 months gets tiresome I feel bad for those that work there. Other than that it is amazing, and I love Santo Domingo Coffee. I still looked forward to the fruit smoothies and breakfast in the morning. You will love the food. I just wish they would change it more for the returning customers sake. (Or maybe I should just stop going so often. haha)

The pool is much better in the winter than in the summer, in the summer it feels like jumping into a big pool of urine.. but hopefully they can try to do something about that because I am thinking of returning in the summer..... maybe.....

I stay in one of the old buildings every time I request building 4 or 5 and I find them wonderful! I met a girl who stayed in the suite in bulding 9 and it was absolutely gorgeous!!!!! The difference between the rooms is huge but it depends on your taste, and if you need a double room, you will be in the older buildings so try to request a view. I spend a lot of time on my balcony if I was ever in the room, with a view of the pool!. I was never in my room only to change (Not even to sleep) and store my things. So my maids didnt have to do much but as I said they have never touched anything!!! They are not stupid! The security at the hotel is actually rediculous. The staff who comes in and out of the hotel are practically strip searched before coming or going! Especially at night! So whoever says the staff stole their things or money are being rediculous! Or jumping to conclusions!

In conclusion it is a wonderful hotel and I cant say anything bad about it! You will love it! As I said before I started a group on facebook for the hotel with many regular visitors and the staff as members! Thats how much I love the place it will always be my home away from home! Search Be Live Grand Marien Puerto Plata on facebook!!!!!

Room Tip: Building 4 for double rooms oceanfront. Building 5 for double rooms with pool view. Building 8 or 9...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank StormCampbell
Dear Mr. / Mrs.:

First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us through this web site.

Thank you for selecting our Be Live Grand Marien all over this time for vacationing at the Dominican Republic. It is truly a pleasure for us to host you as our repeater guest!!!!

To learn that you have enjoyed with us is really good news. We also appreciate your compliments to our staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

You may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

One more time thank you for your preference, receive our warm Regards.

ATT:
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed for 12 nights, did not ask or request a room upgrade but got one whilst checking in for free, the room was clean and comfortable, please note the safe costs 3 dollars a day. The maids take all the towels out of the room at 9am and don't service the rooms and return new towels until 4pm, so if you want a wash between 9am and 4pm hide a couple of towels on your first day. No food served at the buffet was hot, the snack bar is rubbish, the hot dog sausages were like rubber and the bread stale. The 3 restaurants that you have to book are not too bad.
The entertainment is rubbish, nothing else happening other than some rubbish on the stage. Only one bar where you can get a drink in a glass, the pool bar and the snack bar serve watery drinks in plastic cups. The snack bar was not 24 hours as advertised, if you went up to the snack bar late, a rude barman would not serve you as he was too busy cleaning.
Towards the end of our holiday a group of 35-40 young American or Candian Indians arrived, the girls did nothing but scream around the pool all day, the boys and girls would shout swear and act like animals. Everyone I spoke to was going to complain about them. Lucky for us we only had to suffer one day of this as the next day I saw all of them go off on a trip and the following day we left. If I came from the same country as them I would be ashamed.
First Choice travel advisor was doing an offer on trips ie free city tour and cable car for just 16 dollars, when I tried to book this there were so many factors involved like having to pay full price for other tips to qualify. It was so confusing that the advisor confused herself, we didn't want to go on any other trips so we ended up paying 102 dollars for city trip and cable car which should have cost 32 dollars (First Choice rip off)
Staff very nice and helpful, beech OK and hotel generally very clean.

Room Tip: As for a free upgrade
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrPion
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs. :

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site and for selecting our Be Live Grand marien.

Your kindness comments are very important for us, since we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion, definitely they helps us to improve on our services.

We truly regret and apologize for the impression you may have received due to the attitude of some of our bar staff member. We assure you that we neither accept any unfair type of treatment from our employee to our customers; since we are convinced our guests deserve to be attended with respect and courtesy. As you know, guest satisfaction is our top priority and therefore we are very concerned with the fact that we did not impress you with some of our services.

Please be advised that all supervisors were properly informed about every situations you experienced. Be assured that corrective and preventive measures will be taken wherever possible, in order to avoid similar situations in the future.

Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic; we would like to have a second opportunity to welcome you.

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Do not ever live at this place. I just went there for spring break with a group of friends. Six of my friends got money stolen from our rooms and we each lost about 400 dollars. They came into the rooms when we were gone and broke into our bags. A friend had a lock on her bag and the lock was broken into. The hotel did not do anything about the stolen money. This happened the first night we got to Puerto Plata. The staff was very rude and did not take anything serious. We asked for the rooms not to be cleaned the maids still came into the rooms to clean when we had the do not disturb signs. Someone tried to get into the room in the morning and a friend opened the door to see who was at the door, and it was a security guard walking away quickly so no one would see.

Instead of being welcoming, they wanted to get rid of us the whole time and did not hold back on making it obvious. HORRIBLE customer service. Very poor communication between staff and guests.

One of the worst resorts I have ever experienced in my life. Horrible customer service and management. Got all my money stolen from the room and the management refused to do anything about it. I am pretty sure it was someone who works there. Not only that, but the staff is also very sketchy. One day a staff member who claims to be a security guard was trying to get into the room with another key. What did he want from the room, no idea. They made it very uncomfortable for me during the stay because the whole staff just gave us a hard time. I would never recommend going to this resort. Keep away!

General complaint: poor hospitality. For an all inclusive the amenities weren't bad and the resort itself was pretty well kept, but the atmosphere wasn't there. Staff was aloof, unhelpful, and apathetic to the point of being rude. Comparatively to other vacation spots that rely on tourism and services for a lot of revenue, there was a disparity in how they treated their guests and their efforts to keep their guests satisfied. The point of being at any hotel is too feel pampered, well taken care of, and safe - all of which were mediocre at this resort. After 4+ rooms being stolen from the first night while the staff was really the only suspect, it was a disheartening start to the trip and the relationship with the hotel employees, especially since their response to accommodate for the losses were callous and crude at best. The food was not bad for an island vacation spot and there were options for vegetarians so that was a plus, but other than the beauty of the island itself, I wouldn't have too many strong recommendations to stay at this particular resort or even area of Dominican Republic seeing that my stay at Punta Cana was much better received.

After room service cleaning it looked as though staff had actually went through bags. It was obvious because stuff was moved around clothes were shuffled differently in bags but nothing monetary was stolen since we decided to keep it on body because of the recent robberies that occurred in other rooms. Our phone in the room didn't work the whole week and after feeling uncomfortalble with the staff our do not disturb sign was always up. We opted out for cleaning but since the phone did not work we could not call for more water or towels. Thus, we had to go to the front desk where they placed our request but instead of being timely staff took maybe more than 45 minutes and then missed us because honestly how long do you expect to wait? We left the room instead of wasting time because it is our vacation which does not mean spend time waiting around for a towel. 20 minutes is the limit...45 min is just ridiculous

13 Thank ashley p
new brunswick
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed at this resort for 5 days and after the first day regretted the decision of booking my room at this hotel. The first night after arriving, a group of friends and i decided to go out and came back to the resort around 2 pm and spent an hour at the snack bar. The next morning after hearing that a friend of ours lost all of her money, my roommate and i decided to check our luggage bag. We had put a lock on her luggage bag and placed all of our belongings in that bag feeling safe since only she had the lock. My roommates lock on her luggage went missing and as we opened the bag ALL of our money was stolen($800 in total). As we called the receptionist we were told we would be contacted shortly and after 20 minutes we received no attention or care. Therefore, we decided to take measures on our own and tried to speak to the security employees. Sadly, they accused our friends for stealing the money and did not sympathize with us at all! If our friends had stolen the money, why did a neighbor next door to us who we had no connection with also have 500 euros stolen? As a matter of fact, we were told to pay for a phone call to notify our family back home when we had not a single dollar left! If you want to stay in a resort where you feel safe, where the staff does not say curses in spanish as if you did not understand them, where the staff does not blame you for your money being stolen at their OWN resort,where the staff takes action of investigating their employees or the situation, where employees do not walk in while you are sleeping with a "do not disturb" sign, PLEASE DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT AND FIND A BETTER PLACE!

9 Thank hsoni03