“Nice place”

Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
nova scotia
“Nice place”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Second visit to this resort and had a good time. Arrived April 2012 for a wedding. Everything went like clockwork. Not one of the 17 that stayed here was disappointed. The flight, transfers & check- in went uneventful. The lobby staff treated us well and catered to everyone needs.The wedding planner was very attentive. The wedding on the beach, the Dinner and photograper was awesome. no complaints. The newer villa by the beach is where we all were located and the rooms clean & comfortable. Beach was nice, it was clean, lots of shade and chairs available, no need of getting up at sunrise to save chairs. The pool was beautiful. The bars tenders and all the staff were friendly. The menu at the buffet were the same as most resorts, so regardless of your tastes you will find something to eat. We enjoyed the beach grill for lunch.The grounds were well groomed. We like the size of this resort. the lay out very well planned making it easy to get around. Make sure you take your SUNSCREEN and BUG SPRAY (mosquetos may be near the vegetation) didn't see many ( Please note: because of the earthquake in Haiti some family Physicians may want you to take malaria drugs prophylacticly before you go to the Dominican Republic so check first before you depart) We all took this medication and experienced no problems what so ever. Bring some FACECLOTHS with you because you don't see many. Take TRAVEL CUPS with lids for the beach. We did tip the staff for a job well done and they appreciated it. I wouldn't hesitate to come back to this resort again but we do like trying new places. Most of you that come to this resort will be glad you did! Enjoy your vacation.

Room Tip: We enjoy a ground floor room near the beach
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank DeeNovaScotia
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Mr.:

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacations, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.
We are very proud to have received your personal comments, informing us your satisfaction with the hotel in general since your stay was very enjoyable; especially the wedding party fulfilled your dreams (we will let the wedding coordinator to know about it). It is also a pleasure for us to learn that you appreciated the friendliness of our staff; we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal- the continuous improvement of our services.

Dear client, be informed that our guests' opinion has the highest value because we understand that there is always room for improvement and your experience play the key role in this continuous process. The Be Live Hotels Chain it is proud to receive comments and opinions such as yours!!!

Please receive our warm regards.
The management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Despite the rain we had a great vacation at the Be Live Grand Marien. The Entertainment staff are amazing. Always trying to please everyone. There certainly isn't a shortage of food to choose from. 3 ala carte restaurants and a great buffet. Nightly entertainment was very good as well. We were in block 1. Very clean room. I was able to purchase 25 hours of wifi for $25. I was able to use my ipad ANYWHERE on the resort, pool side, restaurants, our room, lobby. It was a great connection.

1 Thank Kerri-Ann D
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs. Balintoni:
We thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site. thank you for selecting our Be Live Grand Marien.

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the entire team work.

We appreciate your kind comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2013

About ten years ago my husband and I purchased 15 weeks at this hotel. It was beautiful...WAS Since then we have use many of these weeks. We took a few friends with us this year, and were very dissapointed by the shape of this hotel. Unkept grounds, rooms, and the hotel. Pool chairs in very poor condition. Food was well yuckie....There are many other places way nicer to go. I am very sorry I invited my friends to stay at this resort with us. The brighter side is we got to use up many of our remaining weeks. I will not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere eles....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kim N
Dear Mr./ Mrs.:
First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien and at the same time we thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

We would also like to have a second opportunity to welcome you at the hotel.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were there for 1 week and had a great time. The resort was very nice and the people working there were very friendly. We really enjoyed the shows each night and there was always alot of activities going on. We thought Denzel Washington and all the entertainment people were great fun. They always had lots of things going on, volleyball and lots of water activities. We also enjoyed talking with Leo the scuba/water sports person. And the photographers were really nice also. The nightclubs were alot of fun in the evening. We will be going back for sure.

Room Tip: We were able to stay in block 2 and had great ocean views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nevadagirls123
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from January 21 to January 28, 2013. The hotel was reasonably priced and great IF you knock off one star out of their rating. So essentially, don't expect a 4.5 stars and you will be happy.

Arrival: We arrived at around 1pm. We were told that check in was at 3pm so we had to come back then to get a room. I reminded the concierge of the two emails I sent requesting a room on the third floor (I am allergic to mold and find this is worse on the ground floor), away from the theater and pool (quiet). When we came back, I again said that we needed a room on the top floor. They said that they only have rooms with two beds and for some reason, insisted on giving us a room with a king size bed, even though we told them this was not an issue. They suggested that we wait until 6pm, when they would have the perfect room for us: king size bed, quiet, "top" floor. So at 6pm, we were taken to our room: right by the animation/loud section of the pool, GROUND floor. I decided to let it go since by then, we were really tired. I woke up in the morning with an allergic reaction to the mold. The room reeked of mold and was very humid (room 3112). We went to the reception and explained my health concerns and the apparent breakdown in communication the previous day. We were able to switch to room 1305 at 4pm. This room was on the third floor, away from the entertainment areas and no mold. It was unfortunate that we were not able to properly settle in for the first 27 hours of our trip. Two things about check in: there is an obvious lack of understanding of English (or simply not caring about specific requests), and why even have an email address when nobody reads the emails?.

Room: our second room #1305 was perfect. High ceilings, clean, quiet, airy and everything worked. We had a partial view of the ocean and the maid was great and took care of us really well. The only issue would be that the bed was a little too hard.

Service: This is my third time in the Dominican Republic and my observations are still the same. Some will go above and beyond to help you but there are quite a few employees who could not care less. I don't expect everyone to tend to me like I'm the Queen of England but please don't roll your eyes at me, don't ignore me and don't start speaking badly about me in Spanish. Again, this is not everyone but I did run into some disgruntled employees at the main buffet. Some days, we received NO service at the buffet. For example, we waited until the end of meals for a coke, or 10 minutes for a fork. Then some days, we had three employees asking us if we needed anything. Maybe this is an organizational issue as they don't seem to have sections assigned to particular waiters. It seemed very random. The other issue was the language barrier. I don't expect everyone to speak perfect English but the people at the reception should be able to understand me.

Vendors: There are less beach vendors than in Punta Cana which is a great thing as you don't have to say "no, thank you" every five minutes. There are the vendors on the beach, the vendors at the hotel and the Lifestyle folks. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the Lifestyle timeshare salesmen since they did not harass us at all, as they were very aggressive at Be Live Punta Cana.

Grounds: The grounds are kept very clean and the resort is pretty compact so you can walk everywhere within the complex. The beach is gold sand and was kept very clean. The pool is really nice but there is no swim up bar. A hot tub would have been nice too ;-) The main buffet and the outdoors and buffet furniture could use some updating but overall, the buildings are well maintained. WIFI covers the whole resort.

Food: Dare I say that it was really great? I think this was one of the best all inclusive buffets I ever had. The breakfast smoothies with fresh fruit were delicious, the omelets were great and there were other great choices. There was a pretty tasty selection for lunches and dinners too and they had theme nights so that provided some variety. I went to the Brazilian à la carte. The meat was just delicious. The Mexican restaurant was great too. The shrimp appetizer was to die for. Unfortunately, I missed the Gourmet restaurant but I kept hearing that the filet mignon was superb. The pina coladas, banana mama's etc. are slushies with booze added to them. Don't expect to have them made from scratch.

Entertainment: I have not gone to the see any of the nightly shows. There were a lot of daytime and evening activities involving games (with and without alcohol) and music. The entertainment staff were pretty great and the pool bar staff were really fun. There was a beach party while we were there and you also have access to the casino and discos.

Random tip: If mosquitoes love you, don't forget your bug spray.

Overall, this hotel is decent quality for the price. However, if people expect 4.5 stars, they will be disappointed. You can message me with questions.

Room Tip: Third floor - see above
1 Thank Alice669
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs.

Regarding your concerns, we would like to extend our most sincere apologize for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

We do understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion, thank you for your comments!!!

As follow up, we have taken note of every one point you have mentioned for the proper measures.

Sydney, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hello travellers,

I have been to the Caribbean 10 times just in the past three years and never found it necessary to write a review, simply because I did not feel I had anything of substance to add. In the last three years I have stayed in all-inclusives in the DR and Jamaica, some of which include Breezes, Riu, Grand Bahai Principe, Blue Bay Villas Dorados, Grand Palladium, etc. All of these hotels had their good and bad points, but overall very good and I would be happy to return to any of them and in fact have. Now I am sitting in the lobby of the Be Live Grand Marien in Puerto Plata awaiting transportation to the airport. Shamefully, this is a beautiful resort with loads of potential and a great group of staff, yet lacking in ways by which they could not pay me to return unless there was a complete change of management. Some of the good points a those that are common to the vast majority of all-inclusives. For example, the beach was a beach, the rooms were cleaned daily and well, mini bar was there, pool area is nice, as are the grounds. All of that said, the monumental reason to avoid this hotel s because of the food. It is absolutely terrible. Your meal times will quickly (first day) become a negative experience that you will actually dread. If you knew me you would know that I am NOT a fussy eater in any way. However the food was really bad, the selection was small and the buffet was obviously understaffed. The desserts were pathetic. Are you familiar with these log cakes you buy at your local grocery store (that most people do not buy anymore/)? Well that is their idea do a good dessert and a few choices of flan. In order to feel comfortable in writing this review I solicited the opinions of more than 20 other guests and all had the same opinion where the food was concerned (garbage, incredibly bad, no choices, crappy, etc.) I could go in longer and describe the unchewable rubber pork steak they served last night, but I think you get the point! If you would like more details feel free to e-mail me at boudreaucraig@ns.sympatico.ca.

2 Thank Craig B
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs.:
As a service company we do understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process.

As far as your indications about the quality of the food offered in our restaurants, we are rather surprised because carefully selected products compose our gastronomical supply, taking into consideration the diversity of clients who visit our hotel. We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner services has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our quality questionnaires and the opinion on this same web site. Nevertheless, we are sorry that our food did not meet your expectations; you may feel assured that your comments will be taken into consideration.
We would also like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

Receive our best regards!!!

Cordially,
REGINA BEACH
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Junior Suite room was As described very large with two balconies, one off the master bedroom and one off the living room. Two bathrooms each with a shower and a jet tub in the large bathroom off the master bedroom with King size bed. Televisions in each room with a mini fridge and microwave off the living room. Everything worked great with plenty of hot water.

Food was typical for an all-inclusive served fresh and hot which is not always typical. Service was great with a small tip to recognize the staff.

A small tip for the daily maid service brings fresh flowers and extra anything you need. They appreciate being noticed for the excellent service they provide.

Watch out for Lifestyle Vacation Club staff selling Memberships to LVC. They are friendly but persistent if you let them.

Activities and Animation staff would keep you busy from 9am to 5 pm if you enjoyed the various
events from aerobics to water polo to volleyball and games of ring toss etc.

All he staff from Bellmen to Groundskeepers are cherry and helpful.

Room Tip: Junior Suite worth extra few bucks. Closest to Pool, Beach, Restaurants and Theatre.
2 Thank DAO722
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs. :
First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site. We thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

Has been a pleasure for us to welcome you at the Be Live Grand Marien.

On more time, It is truly nice for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

Please receive our warmest regards from Dominican Republic, looking forward to see very soon.