“Very disappointed”

Sydney, Canada
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Hello travellers,

I have been to the Caribbean 10 times just in the past three years and never found it necessary to write a review, simply because I did not feel I had anything of substance to add. In the last three years I have stayed in all-inclusives in the DR and Jamaica, some of which include Breezes, Riu, Grand Bahai Principe, Blue Bay Villas Dorados, Grand Palladium, etc. All of these hotels had their good and bad points, but overall very good and I would be happy to return to any of them and in fact have. Now I am sitting in the lobby of the Be Live Grand Marien in Puerto Plata awaiting transportation to the airport. Shamefully, this is a beautiful resort with loads of potential and a great group of staff, yet lacking in ways by which they could not pay me to return unless there was a complete change of management. Some of the good points a those that are common to the vast majority of all-inclusives. For example, the beach was a beach, the rooms were cleaned daily and well, mini bar was there, pool area is nice, as are the grounds. All of that said, the monumental reason to avoid this hotel s because of the food. It is absolutely terrible. Your meal times will quickly (first day) become a negative experience that you will actually dread. If you knew me you would know that I am NOT a fussy eater in any way. However the food was really bad, the selection was small and the buffet was obviously understaffed. The desserts were pathetic. Are you familiar with these log cakes you buy at your local grocery store (that most people do not buy anymore/)? Well that is their idea do a good dessert and a few choices of flan. In order to feel comfortable in writing this review I solicited the opinions of more than 20 other guests and all had the same opinion where the food was concerned (garbage, incredibly bad, no choices, crappy, etc.) I could go in longer and describe the unchewable rubber pork steak they served last night, but I think you get the point! If you would like more details feel free to e-mail me at boudreaucraig@ns.sympatico.ca.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Craig B
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Mr. / Mrs.:
First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacations, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.
As a service company we do understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process.

As far as your indications about the quality of the food offered in our restaurants, we are rather surprised because carefully selected products compose our gastronomical supply, taking into consideration the diversity of clients who visit our hotel. We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner services has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our quality questionnaires and the opinion on this same web site. Nevertheless, we are sorry that our food did not meet your expectations; you may feel assured that your comments will be taken into consideration.
We would also like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

Receive our best regards!!!

Cordially,
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
REGINA BEACH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Junior Suite room was As described very large with two balconies, one off the master bedroom and one off the living room. Two bathrooms each with a shower and a jet tub in the large bathroom off the master bedroom with King size bed. Televisions in each room with a mini fridge and microwave off the living room. Everything worked great with plenty of hot water.

Food was typical for an all-inclusive served fresh and hot which is not always typical. Service was great with a small tip to recognize the staff.

A small tip for the daily maid service brings fresh flowers and extra anything you need. They appreciate being noticed for the excellent service they provide.

Watch out for Lifestyle Vacation Club staff selling Memberships to LVC. They are friendly but persistent if you let them.

Activities and Animation staff would keep you busy from 9am to 5 pm if you enjoyed the various
events from aerobics to water polo to volleyball and games of ring toss etc.

All he staff from Bellmen to Groundskeepers are cherry and helpful.

Room Tip: Junior Suite worth extra few bucks. Closest to Pool, Beach, Restaurants and Theatre.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DAO722
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs. :
First of all, we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions of your recent stay with us, through this web site. We thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

Has been a pleasure for us to welcome you at the Be Live Grand Marien.

On more time, It is truly nice for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

Please receive our warmest regards from Dominican Republic, looking forward to see very soon.

Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

i don't even know where to start it was so horrible. I guess I will start with the security and the lack there of. My freind and I were both ASSAULTED at the resort in ln altercation with a very obnoxious French man, apparently this man and family had been causing issues at the resort all week and nothing had been done about it, (we heard this from many many other people before and after the altercation... .on the day of the assualt i was in the little hut near the pool watching the NFL football and this family was next to me playing cards, they were loud but that was fine....I had 3 chairs at my table as periodically one or 2 of my friends would join me to watch the game. at one point the family moved tables so this was good and then more of my friends came to watch the game , they sat in one of the 2 chairs that we had been using for past hour and the french man came over and said it was his chair, we said no, it was ours and have been using for past hour....he then VIOLENTLY LIFTED THE CHAIR AND THREW ME TO THE GROUND!!! I AM A WOMAN AND AROUND 145 POUNDS AND I WAS INJURED...I LANDED ON MY ANKLE also a side note, I WAS SOBER and was drinking water, and throughout the previous 4 hours had drank 2 beers with ice in them....then my friend kim came along and he put her against the wall....the whle thing was rediculous AS IT WAS OVER A CHAIR!!! however he assualted 2 women, THERE WERE NUMEROUS WITNESSES, security came, police were called and here is the kicker,....THEY NEVER ASKED ME OR ANYONE ONE QUESTION, THEY NEVER ASKED HOW I WAS, OR OFFERED ANY MEDICAL HELP.
2 OF THE MEN THAT WERE WITH ME WERE, RIGHTFULLY SO, IRATE AND ANGRY. ONCE AGAIN NOTHING WAS DONE TO THIS FAMILY. AT NO TIME DID ANY HOTEL STAFF , OR THE POLICE EVEN ASK IF I WAS OK....WE ENDED UP JUST LEAVING AFTER 45 MINUTES OR SO OF NOTHING BEING DONE., THE PEOPLE WE SPOKE TO WERE APPALLED AND COULD NOT BELEIVE IT, THE POLICE OR SECURITY QUESTIONED NO ONE, AS THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD BY NUMEROUS WITNESSES THAT WE WERE ASSAULTED AND THAT THIS FAMILY HAD BEEN DOING THIS ALL WEEK, WE LEFT THE AREA AND THE FAMILY CONTINUED TO PLAY CARDS AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED, APPARENTLY THIS FAMILY WAS LEAVING THE NEXT DAY SO MY THOUGHT IS THAT THE HOTEL STAFF JUST WANTED TO DO NOTHING AS THEY WERE LEAVING ...the next morning i filed my written complaint and to date i have heard nothing from anybody and that was a week ago. so this was the worst thing ..... but there was much much more wrong with this resrt other than there LACK OF SECURITY AND CARE FOR THERE GUESTS WELL BEING. similar to other reviews we also had to call down for towels each day and 2 of the days they never came so we went down to get our pool towels so we could shower. the beds were so hard we had them bring up 3 extra blankets and re make the bed, still hard but a bit more sleepable. ever day but once we had to get our room cards re-set as somehow they would get demagnatized, this was a real pain as we were in the farthest building. the room only got vacuumed once while we were there, i did not feel it was clean. food was not good, the buffet had about 5 options then a meat dish or 2 but the meat was always tough the gourmet restaurant was the only decent one but you can only go to it once. this in my opinion was a 3 star hotel at best, I THINK THE OWNERS ARE JUST DRIVING IT INTO THE GROUND AND PUTTING NO MONEY INTO TO IT....I COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT THE MANY DEFIENCIES OF THIS HOTEL BUT i AM SURE YOU HAVE READ ENOUGH....I HAVE BEEN AND WILL CONTINUE TO TELL EVERYONE NOT TO BOOK AT THIS HOTEL AND HAVE TOLD OUR TRAVEL AGENT WHO IS THE MANAGER OF ONE OF THE BIGGEST TRAVEL AGENCIES TO NOT BOOK ANY ONE IN TO THIS HOTEL. I AM NOT AN OVERLY PICKY PERSON AND CAN USUALLY ALWAYS FIND THE GOOD.....I HAVE NEVER RATED A TRIP BEFORE AND HAVE TRAVELLED EXTENSIVLY IN PAST 15 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER FELT UNSAFE, THIS RESORT IS UNSAFE FOR WOMEN!!!! DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank Richelle M
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I'd read so many reviews before I left that I wasn't sure if I made the right decision or not. Well here it is.....I DID!!!!. Unless you were born with silver spoon in your mouth, the hotel, grounds, beach & food are prefect. (Don't ask Dominicans to cook meat though. Every meat is over cokked). I read horror stories about the hotel rooms stinking...not true. They do have a "lived in smell" being in such a humid country but never a deal breaker. The room are dated as well, but everything worked just fine (shower & shower pressure, mini bar, TV, room keys. etc...). The grounds are amazingly clean, the pool & chairs were cleaned very morning at 5am, the beach seaweed as well was taken care of every morning. The employees were all very gratious & I never waited for more than 2 minutes for a drink at the bar. There were locals there on the weekends, but not overwhelming as some have stated & all were very well behaved. The locals do approach you at the beach but not in a harrasing way. (simply says "no, gracias" & they'reon there way). I felt the need to write this review as I felt the hotel was really getting a bum rap. It is no 5 star hotel based on American standards but it's easily a 4 to 41/2 star based on Dominican standards. Again, if you're used to the Ritz-carlton & Club Med, it's not for you. But if you are like the majority of the rest of the world, you'll love it.

Room Tip: Take a room on the 3rd floor (vaulted ceilings) Feels like a bigger room. Block 3 is good too. Next...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

we arrived at this hotel on the 9th of jan we were very tired as we had a couple of hours delay from the uk. the check in was quick but no cold towel or drink we realy could have done with that.
our room was very large and clean a few mossies around but we delt with them we bring our own spray. the rooms could do with updating as the furniture looks old we were in block 4.
first day and we had a good look round, the pool area is very large but we noticed that there was a limited number of parasols so it was first up got one, take a look at this management and see if you can improve allso the floor round the pool needs fixing asap.
the beach is not to bad the sand is rather course but plenty of beds although these could do with a good cleaning, again the smokers leaving stubs allover the beach a plastic cup filled with sand and you canput your stubs in and take it to the bins at the end of the day.
the food in the buffet was very good much better than some ai that we have been in. we cannot comment on the gormet resturant as one of our party has walking problems and the only way in was up a long flight of stairs bad form owners.
we allso noticed that there was no lounge bar only a pool and a disco bar so if it rained or you did not want to watch the show at night there was nowere to sit and have a quiet drink not good.
on the plus side the staff are lovley the grounds well kept.we feel that this hotel is realy a 3.5 star but with a little care and updating it could soon be back to its true rating

Room Tip: do not get rooms behind reception the disco will keep you awake
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mrs. / Mr.:

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacation, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience through this web site.
We thank you for your kindness comments, wish are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; your comments for the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Receive our best greetings!!!

ATT
The management
bssima
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

The check in was fast. An envelope was waiting for us. Check out was the same.

We got building 6. The room is clean and comfy. They make it not comfy. Everyday I had to call guest service to beg for towels that one time didn't arrive. No hot water. I had to call and ask to adjust it. One time no water at all. One time the water stream just stopped in the middle of a shower....

The property is worth for the amount we paid. Its nice. They keep it clean.

The pool is very nice and big. The kids had fun.

The beach was dirty and I did not go not the water for my 8 days stay.

the food is ok. Huge variety... but sometimes I couldn't find anything to eat.

The best is the entertainment crew. They are very friendly. You see them throughout the day.

Room Tip: take building 3 if you can. its close to the pool, buffet and the beach
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mrs. / Mr.:

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Be Live Grand Marien for your vacation, we thank you for your kindness comments through this web site, which are very important for us, since they helps us to improve on our services.

Our guests' opinion has the highest value because we understand that there is always room for improvement and our guests’ experiences play the key role in this continuous process.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay; the appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Our best greetings,

The management
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled to Puerto Plata for the first time in November 2012. We had found a deal for 7 nights all inclusive so thought that we would try it out.

I will admit, when we arrived we were concerned about the trash along the beach. A storm had just come through and as a result lots of trash and items had washed up onto the shores. However, by the next morning, it was gone! Lots of workers spent all day with wheelbarrows to ensure the beaches looked beautiful for the rest of our stay. And, we would see them very early in the morning, before the beaches were visited, to ensure it stayed clean.

The food was not bad, but nothing to write home about. It was what I expected for an all-inclusive; not the best I've had, but I think a few of these reviews sound harsh.

Our room was beautiful and the housekeeping team was incredibly sweet, especially Ana! They took good care of us, and did their jobs efficiently and early in the day (without being too early and waking us)! The entertainment team is fantastic - we are a couple in our 20s and really enjoyed the DJ and silly pool games that were played throughout the day. Make sure to tell Denzel and Coochie Coochie hello from us if you go :) We went as a couple so were a bit worried about the place being overrun with loud children, as some resorts I've experienced. Sorry parents, just not the vacation we wanted! However, despite a few kids being there during our stay, the pool and resort was big enough to choose a spot with exactly the atmosphere you wanted.

On the beach there were a few solicitors who would come by asking if we wanted to shop/hair braided/massage/etc. However, I can't fault the hotel for this as these were not representatives of the hotel. And, after the first day they began to recognize us and would smile and wave, but not try to convince us to buy anything.

The thing that absolutely made the trip for us was the attitude and demeanor of the Dominican locals. Everyone who we met was incredibly nice, from our taxi driver at the airport (who helped us use his personal cell phone to see about a shuttle), to all of the hotel personnel. We fell in love with the people - they were appreciative of tourism, and welcomed us to experience their culture, unlike other places I have been. Everyone in the hotel remembered our names, after being told one time! They would cheerfully greet us in the mornings and asked what they could do to make our stay better.

I would absolutely travel back to the Dominican Republic, and would stay at the BeLive Grand Marien. It was a beautiful country with great people, and I've already been checking travel sites to see about returning!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Be Live G, Gerente at Be Live Collection Marien, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Mr./Mrs.:

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and you may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to the various Departments of the Hotel.

Please receive our warm regards from Dominican Republic, has been a pleasure to serve you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Plata
#13 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,291 reviews
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan

Been to Be Live Collection Marien? Share your experiences!