“Fantastic staff - nice resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Be Live Collection Marien

Be Live Collection Marien
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Miami, Florida
“Fantastic staff - nice resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The highlight of my stay at this hotel is most certainly the staff. Very friendly and accommodating. Things do move at a slower pace in the DR and the overall attitude is definitely laid back so be prepared for that. But isn't that one of the best reason to go there to begin with if you are looking for a beach vacation? Smile and go with the flow....

The rooms were comfortable and what I would compare to a 3 star hotel in the US.

One thing that was important to me was WIFI, for which little information is posted. WIFI is available everywhere on the resort, including the common areas and rooms. There is cost, however, which is $25 for 25 hours (If I recall correctly, but it is something close to it) over a 6 day period. You buy the WIFI access code in the Internet office close to reception. Once purchased, you use the hours over the course of the time period purchased. Just make sure you log-off or turn off your computer or you will burn through the time purchased.

Within the resort there is a huge pool with lots of chairs and of course the beach. A nightclub is located close to the reception area.

The food is most definitely average and just 'Ok', nothing special here - local drinks are included, including the local beer Presidente (which is actually quite good).

Within walking distance there is a Casino and another nightclub independent of the resort. If you like staying out late, then this is an option after the resort club closes (which is early).

This is no Ritz Carlton, but certainly a very relaxing resort destination. With the promotional price I received I did feel like this resort was a bargain.

I rented a car which greatly expanded my options - It was only about $22 + taxes per day (Use a credit card that offers car rental protection to save money). This allowed me to explore other places close to Puerto Plata, including Cabarete and Sousa. Considering that a one way taxi to the airport cost $50, a car rental is quite a bargain. Driving was easy - yes, it is a little crazy once you get into town with rather relaxed driving rules, but very manageable (at least for me).

Definitely a bargain mid-level resort I would recommend.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be quiet. Choose based on your preference of view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tom A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Just come home after 1 week staying at this lovely hotel. The highlight of this trip has to be the great location but that the staff service here was exceptional.

Although I love to explore different hotels, I would return to this hotel again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Martin D
New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Was disappointed by the food and the beds. The food was just OK. Best thing to get was the omelette in the morning. I thought I would be safe with chicken nuggets and burgers but they were gross. The beds were very uncomfortable, I sleep on my side and kept waking up with my hip hurting. The pool area was nice though as were the grounds in general. The staff was really sweet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was a little skeptical at first because of all the negative reviews, but am SO happy I ignored the reviews and choose to stay at Be Live. Overall, my trip was awesome! I traveled with my boyfriend and another couple on Nov 9th for 7 days. We stayed in block 8 which was by the beach and the pool and close to the bar. The weather was rainy for the first 3 days, but we didn’t let the weather spoil our vacation… all-inclusive… we decided to drink the night away.

Hotel:
The hotel was very nice! Really loved the pool! There is a disco onsite, they played batchata, merunge and salsa which i loved! they also play r & b, and other music depending on the crowd. Right outside the hotel is a casino and a nightclub Pure. the nightclub plays more Rap and R&B. We would go to the disco first get the drinks and then walk over to Pure. We had many fun nights!

Food:
The food was actually good! I was very impressed with the quality and the selection of the buffet. I really loved the breakfast fruit smoothies… so good! They also have a 24hr snack bar. They have burgers, pizza, and hotdogs. This place was awesome for the late nights after the disco. We were only able to eat at the gourmet restaurant because we were unable to make reservation for the Brazilian.

Room:
We had the superior room which was beautiful! Very spacious, clean and comfortable. The fridge was stocked daily with water, beer and soft drinks. The maids did a great job cleaning the rooms. We left money for them because they work hard and deserve it. They’re very appreciative.

Entertainment:
The best part of the trip! There was nightly shows at 9:30, great shows and involved the audience. My favorite was Cuchi Cuchi, he defiantly made our trip a better experience, he was hilarious and so full of life. He remembered our names throughout the trip and involved us in all the actives. Thank you Cuchi for making this an awesome trip. They have daily activities such as water polo, volleyball, ping pong, beer chugging contests. I would recommend involving yourself as it makes the trip more fun.

Bar:
Jesus was the best!!! Very friendly and kept the drinks coming. Try the Pina Colada with Blue Cudacow (sp?) it was very tasty! They are def not cheap on the drink as I requested them not to make them too strong! Tip them and they will take care of you! Also need to try the Mamajuana… it’s their specialty.

Service:
They have a different culture in the DR, Def not like the US. The waiters are a lot slower, laid back and you may need to ask for everything, but we just accepted it as it is.

Shopping:
Never pay full price for anything! Always negociate as they mark up the prices 3x as much as you should normally pay. I would recommend walking towards the ride side of the beach about 8 minutes to a little market they have where you can find the same item from the hotel for a 3rd of the price... very safe too. Never felt threatened.

Excursions:
We did the Zip lining and horseback riding. That was a great experience since it was my first time zip lining. The horseback riding was a 30 minute ride with beautiful scenery. We also did the Paradise Island. That was breath taking. Awesome time!

I would definitely come back to this hotel… already searching when to book our next trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
14 Thank Karina T
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here close to 3 years ago (January 2010) and after reading through the reviews it brought back such good memories I figured I'd weigh in. It was my first trip down south so I didn't know what to expect. The only negative memory I have of the trip is presence of time share people and our group being tricked into a 'tour of a new resort' which ended up being a trap to be pressured into time sharing. Anyway it was a nice hotel that we toured and a memorable experience. Getting back to the Grand Marien, the rooms were spacious, house cleaning staff were excellent - flowers and designs with our towels and bedding every day. Food was alright - I lived off of bread but I'm a picky eater to begin with. Entertainment staff were AMAZING, in my opinion made the whole trip. Always made you feel welcome, took the time to talk to you, partied with you after hours and at the end of the day put on some great shows and entertainment. The beach was okay - Puerto Plata isn't known for fabolous beaches anyway so you can't expect perfect. Plenty of excursions to choose from as well. I definitley plan on returning someday :).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
5 Thank Tiffany T
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I travel frequently to all-inclusive resorts. The Grand Marien was generally ok but room service had to be the worst ever. First day, the room mini-bar was empty...we said ok, we'll let it go...everyone makes mistakes. On subsequent days, there were no towels, bath soap and again, no refill of the mini-bar. We had an ironing board but no iron (?)-does that make sense? These are just a few of room service problems we encountered. We could go on to name more things that are considered standard service anywhere else.

We had some days with heavy rain and there was poor drainage and leakage thoughout public areas, including the restaurants.

However, the entertainment and food was great. The gardens and surroundings were clean.

In short, we would never stay here again since the most private place, our room, was unpredictable and left a sour taste in our mouths.

Room Tip: Upon arrival, make sure the room has everything you paid for from the start.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank sandmax2012

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Plata hotels

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Speechless! great price amazing people great service, deliciouse food, buffet and there restaurants aswell drinks were pretty good too.. the beach was great pools very clean, minibars refilled daily cant wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple