“We had a blast!!!!!”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed July 23, 2014

my sister and I went for six days the week of july 16th... Now when you get off the plane and are going to your taxi, the guys standing around will help you take your bags to the taxi, but believe they are looking for a big tip.. the guy that took our bags (and we only had one carry on each, had the nerve to tell me to tip him $10 US.. I just laughed at him)... but any case on to the vacation. The reception area was nice, the guy who checked us in was more than accommodating.. they had a room already assigned for us, but it was one of the rooms we had read about in some of the reviews (the 200 building) and we had written down the rooms we read good reviews about and asked for that particular room (30624) it was a nice corner room. it was big enough for us (double bed) and he changed our room for us! We went on several excursions that we booked before we arrived... Outback adventures was one, we did the the safari and it was great! the tour guied Jr. and the driver Jose was great! and the food was delicious as well. Any way back to the hotel... like other reviews, I have to keep It real, the buffets were not anything to write home about, on a scale of 1-10 id have to honeslty give it a 4... not a lot of variety, but the buffet at the tropical we found to me a bit more tasty, and better variety.. our pre made dinner reservations were to The blue lagoon, (it was okay) and El Pinon (it was okay as well) again nothing to write home about... but the pools were beautiful, and it is true, certain "VIP" beaches you could not lounge in those areas, but the VIP that came with our living social was just as good to as and nice looking as the others right next to it, so we were fine... I found all of the staff to be very accommodating! we did have a couple of issues with the AC but it didn't take long for them to send someone, even thought it did not blow strong, we were okay with it... I don't agree with all of the awful reviews, the only thing that I can suggest is keep an open mind and positive attitude and you should be okay. Now off the top, I told the guy that was assigned to us to give us this "tour" DO NOT try to give me no timeshare tour I AM NOT INTERESTED and he did not bother us with it (he also didn't come to take us on a tour the next day either after I told him that (I think I scared him) but I had read too may reviews about time being wasted with that. Now the Thursday party was awesome as well as the Sunday party! Now it was some great food there and PLENTY of it, even with all the people there... Overall between the excursions and the hotel stay id give my vacation a 10

Room Tip: contact me directly if you have any additional questions.. I recommend rooms in the 300buildings, t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank samantha t
Write a ReviewReviews (3,969)

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I went a month ago with one of my friends and we definitely had a good time. The hotel is super clean and people are very helpful. The animation team Julio, Shaggy, Mickey, Rambo and Speedy are super nice. Everyday there were activities and dance shows at night. BTW THURSDAY PARTY IS AWESOME!!! and Sunday party is pretty cool too (foam party :D).
The food was okay, I was expecting more sea food in the buffets but oh well. For the reservation go to EL PILON!! I really enjoyed my diner the food was really good :)
Regarding the beach, the waves are a bit strong and the water is not crystal clear but you can still appreciate the transparent water when its sunny :)
The rooms were super clean and from the few hours I spent sleeping the bed was comfy.
Tours!!! GO AHEAD!! bring at least 400$ with you because Puerto Plata is more than a hotel!!!!
Also, if you are not VIP you cannot access some pools, beaches, bars, restaurants and more but if you are in your 20's 30's do not even worry about it. (The VIP is more for older people or for honey moons celebrations). We met a lot of young "VIP" who left their VIP sections and came to spend the day at the "regular" sections.
Overall, staying at Cofresi is a really good choice and you wont regret it :)

Room Tip: the 40 buildings are very nice and close to the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I wants to thanks every ones Especialty to SALAMI Strong the Comidian .. We has the best Vacation Ever exelent Services, Attentions, Salami was one of the best with my Son.. We have and Amazing time and will be back with the all Family..!! thanks Salamy !!! God Bless you ..

Room Tip: All Rooms are ok but much better next to the Pools..
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Yohanny V
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Let me start off by saying that I am in the process of trying to get a refund for the money spent on this vacation and I use the term “vacation” loosely. It is very important to mention that this is a membership/timeshare resort, which allows guests/non-members to visit. DO NOT BOTHER COMING TO THIS RESORT IF YOU ARE NOT A MEMBER. As a guest you have access to about 30% percent of the resort. There are constant reminders that you are not a member. Certain beaches, restaurants and pools are restricted unless you are a member. Let’s start with the beach, the beach is nothing special, murky waters riddled with seaweed. Locals set up shops on the beach selling overpriced merchandise and constantly trying to sell you on things you have no interest in. The restaurants at the resort are also nothing short of mediocre. Guests are only allowed two reservations, which means you can only dine at the al carte restaurants twice during your vacation. When you're not dining at the restaurant you are left with the buffet which is HORRIBLE. They serve the same, bland, room temperature food every day. The buffets are also over run by locals, who hover over the food and practical knock you over to get to certain items like rice. Not to mention, none of the establishments where food is served have A/C, I found myself eating and sweating at times. This leads me to my last point. FOR TWO FULL DAYS MY ROOM DID NOT HAVE AIR CONDITIONING. Imagine that, 95 degrees and no air conditioning, I called the front desk numerous times to complain and to ask about switching rooms. Nothing was done; I was told that the A/C was out on the entire resort which I find very hard to believe. The worst part of it all was that we couldn't even open the windows in our room because they did not have screens to keep bugs out; we literally went to sleep sweating. I could go on and on about how horrible this place is but you get the idea. Stay away, stay very far away.

8  Thank 301_Ant_202
Reviewed July 21, 2014

After reading some of the polarizing reviews of this place, I was a little wary of staying here, but it was a wonderful experience. The staff was EXTREMELY friendly and accommodating. They treated everyone like royalty. The property and the restaurants were immaculately clean. We stayed in a Junior Suite near El Pilon and it was a beautiful and spacious room. We heard from others that the A/C went out one day, but we didn't even notice because our room was so cool with the ceiling fan. They said it was only off for one day. There were so many options for beaches and pools (ie: secluded, lively, etc.) Each evening, they featured a variety of spectacular entertainment events. My only complaint was the food and drinks. They weren't horrible and I didn't get sick, but they were just mediocre. Thankfully, the rooms, the property, the staff and the other amenities overshadowed the food/beverage experience.

Room Tip: Rooms 40-43 near El Pilon were really nice.
2  Thank ergeorge
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This two week vacation was a great way to start off my summer vacation. A good friend and I decided to return to Cofresi for many reasons, this was her third time and my second time returning since January. By the end of our two weeks I seriously felt that I didn't want to leave. Everyone that we met welcomed us with open arms & everyday was better than the last. The two of us spent most of our days at Pirates Cove pool because of the animation team, they are seriously an amazing bunch of guys. To do what they do everyday they all deserve 20 stars. Rambo, Julio, speedy, Coco loco who was new and fit in so great,and of course shaggy and Mikey. The energy and the enthusiasm that they carry everyday is so great makes for a wonderful stay. We made many wonderful life time friend from Wanda and Big Papi in the Aqua Center were so happy everyday to see us just amazing people would love to be a part of their family. We also enjoy a wonderful message from Yig/yang spa. If it wasn't for Ellery Chez who walks a million miles a day from Cofresi to the tropical, spent the time to explain what our message would be like he's a great salesman. Our hotel room was always cleaned when we made our return from the pool. One thing that is recommend is the the bar fridge should be filled with refreshments daily or when needed. One gets tired of drinking water, but other then that loved our location and everything else. We will return back of course!!hopefully sooner than later.I can keep going but I think you have the idea...by now!!

Room Tip: we stayed in building 41 it has been renovated....great location and no problems.
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is one of the best in Puerto Plata. I would definitely return to it very soon. The rooms are very clean, pools are very well maintained, food is great in all restaurants, and the staff is very friendly. One of the entertainers in particular, Julio Nice was very nice and friendly. He played all up-to-date music in the pool area and overall made everyone happy.

• Stayed: July 2014