“Good, not great”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We visited the Cofresi in June 2014. The grounds, lobby, and pools are very well kept and beautiful.
The rooms were outdated and dirty. Our phone broke halfway through our stay, it took 3 days for it to get fixed.
The food was almost inedible. The drinks were good.
The beach area was nice and well kept, the beach itself was ok. The water wasn't very clear but it was swimmable.
The staff was helpful and polite.

This was about a 2.5-3 star hotel. I would recommend it for people looking for a budget beach location

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lori_26_10
Write a ReviewReviews (3,851)

Reviewed July 16, 2014

My fiancé and I just recently got back from Cofresi, we traveled from July 7th to the 11th. We booked through Expedia and our package included access to the VIP beach which was Awesome! The beds and cabanas were gorgeous you have to get there around 8-8:30 to get a bed! They have waiters that bring you your drinks and you could also order food, the wings and nachos were the best lol. I purchased transportation from the airport to hotel and also from hotel to airport through Expedia. When we landed in DR our shuttle had a flat so we waited an hour until another shuttle came. It was kind of disappointing but hey we were on vacation! So we finally got to the resort and it was about a 30 minute ride from the airport. Check in was nice and quick and we caught a shuttle to our spacious room! Shuttles were definitely a great help to get around since the resort is huge and it's about 3 or 4 resorts connected! The longest we waited for a shuttle was maybe 10 minutes if that, there were always driving around and you could just hop in. Definitely recommend upgrading to a jr suite if possible it's worth it! The property itself was simply amazing and Huge n also a lot I repeat a lot of walking but I didn't mind it. The entertainment Staff were amazing! Julio nice was my favorite he took out time everyday to reach out and get to know my fiancé and I and make us laugh and enjoy our time even more! Every time we'd be walking by he'd make it his business to greet us whether it was on the mic " Young Mula BABY!!!" Or just him sitting n having convos with us! He would check on us at the shows n parties which I thought was nice! He was just awesome, also speedy and Mickey were Great too! These guys bust their butts making us happy and they truly love what they do!! I read so much about them on these reviews for months and it was my pleasure to finally meet them! Also I wanna shout out Manuel at the swim up bar he was awesome and him and my fiancé hit it off lol! Love you Manuel n Julio nice hope to see you guys again one day! Everything was perfect except for the food. The pearl was the worst! we would travel to the tropical just to eat at Casa Blanca and even still the food wasn't great but it was better than the pearl. We ate at the Italian restaurant which was ok the pasta salad and bruschetta was Great! We also had the chicken Alfredo which wasn't bad at all. Also the blue lagoon opens at 11pm-5am for snack we didn't get to make it there though. The pearls snack are the same every night hot dogs and hamburgers Nd fries. The Thursday VIP party was pretty awesome the performers and dancers were amazing the music was good and the vibe itself was out of this world, overall my stay was absolutely amazing other than the food! I'd probably definitely visit Cofresi again especially cause of the staff! Also our maid Carmen did a great job at leaving our room spotless ,fresh towels, and fresh flowers everyday! Tip tip tip!!! these guys deserve it! Love Jissele and Kawahn from Jersey <3

Room Tip: Building 43 room 42301 even though it was on the fourth floor and it's a bit of a hike every nig...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jissele V
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The entertainer Coco loco was friendly, pleasant and fantastic, kept us amused at all times he made our holiday the best holiday ever. got us involved in all activities example getting us on stage and taking part in 4th of July parade. because of this experience with Coco loco we cant wait to come back next year with friends and family. I think this hotel should cherish Coco loco by never ever replacing him because you could never ever find better. he manages to get everyone involved no matter how shy you are. Coco loco forever!!!!

Room Tip: sea view/ pool view
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Cassandra C
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Let's put it in a fast and simple way. The grounds are well kept and the cabanas are very relaxing; however, food just wasn't great at all unless you had reservations for the la carte restaurant. Blue Lagoon and El Pilon are recommended especially the casserole at El Pilon, my gf approved and let's say it was very very good. As far as food on the beach, wings with fries are your best bet and trust me it gets tiring! The Thursday VIP party is a must and by that I mean the only good entertainment at night the resort has to offer. Water is semi merky but good for swimming, not for snorkeling. Now for the biggest set back, the food at the buffets was horrible and our room didn't have any AC for almost two days!!!!! It sucked it was horrible it was plain nasty. They wouldn't even try to accommodate us to another room in which the ac was functioning. Bad service! Overall it was ok resort with ok buffet and nothing superb. Gf and I however made it the best vacay on the little island, one for the books!

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Jsanch
Reviewed July 15, 2014

If you want to be pampered, come here, BUT you MUST get the VIP bands to do so. not sure who doesn't have a VIP band and how they are treated, but the VIP pool is a MUST, the waiters bring you drinks and food into your canopy while you have access to smoking hookah, and swinging on a hammock. Absolutely amazing how the staff in the VIP areas treat you. Only downside is most of the buffet restaurants have NO AC, so you are stuck eating outside with flies in the major heat of the DR. Room was beautiful but not very comfortable, and NO STAIRS.. third floor was a bit of a nuisance to get to everyday multiple times a day. Overall, you feel pampered but again, GET THE VIP or don't come.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank litagd2014
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The resort is an enigma. The rooms were wonderful, the weather was great and the staff was very polite and tried to be helpfull.
The Cofresi Palm is now part of the bigger Lifestyle Holiday resort. This was our second trip to this resort and just like the previous year we were very happy with our accomodations and the weather. There are plenty of ammenities at this resort and as an all inclusive you can't beat the all inclusive fee which happens to be the least expensive of all the resorts I have explored.
Here is the problem, the quality of the food. Last year I would have rated the food quality as average or slightly above. We decided to return to the resort because all the other things that were there outweighed the average food quality.
This year was different, the food quality dropped way below average. At breakfast all the omlets were over cooked, the scrambled eggs were dry the oatmeal was over liquidy, the fruit was either unripe over ripe of had very little taste. The buffets offered less choices than previous years and the food again was over cooked. Meats tasted like shoe leather and the chicked was always dry.
Even in the "upscale" resturants available to interval members left something to be desired, with the exception of El Pilon and Trapiche. I can only assume that the better food and cooks were being reserved for members who owned at the resort and not the rest. Which seems counter intuitive since Lifestyle is aggressively trying to sell vacation weeks. For me it would be a tough sell no matter how great the ammenities are, if I couldn't get a decent meal and I would assume the same type of food would be available as an owner.
If you would ask me would I return a third time, unless there was a vast improvement in the food right now the answer would be no. I would hope that someone higher up in Lifestyle takes heed of this review. You have a great please to visit but I wouldn't want to eat there.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank msmalowitz
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I miss this place already! The staff and entertainment are really what make this resort amazing.
Kelvin at Casablanca, Louis at VIP beach, Edward and Manuel at the cheers bar, Gregario, Irvin, and all the others at Pirates Cove... I don't know how they do it but everyday they wear smiles on their faces and are eager to please.
The grounds, pools, and rooms are kept in immaculate condition, The buffet restaurants got super busy on the weekends but the kitchen staff managed it well. The food is far above what I have had at other resorts. Lots of variety and access to food at almost all hours of the day and night.
I highly recommend the catamaran party boat/snorkeling experience and horse back riding with Miguel (who you can find in the Tropical Lobby). The staff at the Aqua Center can help you set up anything you want to do. If you don't plan any on doing any excursions, don't worry... the entertainment at the resort is like nothing you will find anywhere else! Everyday is a party at Cofresi Beach!
The welcome party and VIP pool party (which everyone can attend) are simply amazing. The foam party, and fire show are both must see's! Great job on the fire breathing Shaggy! It's obvious that the entertainment crew (Rambo, Shaggy, Speedy, Julio Nice, Mickey, and Coco Loco) practice lots but it definitely pays off! They are there all day/night and seem to have an endless positive attitude and stamina. Don't miss water aerobics with John Rambo! It's good for your body and easy on the eyes. The crazy games they play are fun too (darts, Frisbee, golf, etc)... and you can win Rum :) Coco Loco is the new guy but you would never be able to tell! Keep up the great work boys!
If you want to just relax and have peace and quiet... this resort has that too. It may take a little bit to find your favorite spot but once you do, you'll be in heaven!
Security and front desk staff are helpful and make you feel taken care of, safe, and at home.
One thing that could be a little better would be the process of getting a dinner reservation. You have to go to the lobby at 10am if you want to change, and then they put a slip under your door between 3 and 5 with the change. It just takes up a bit of time... it would be nice if you could just call and get immediate confirmation.
I did not have a VIP bracelet, but still is an amazing experience with lots to do. The VIP areas actually look deserted most of the time, and that's not really my idea of a good time, but to each their own. As another reviewer stated... its kind of like the difference between flying first class and coach; either way you can have an awesome experience!
I will return to this resort as many times as humanly possible.
If I knew Spanish, I'd apply for a job there!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends