“COCKROACH INFESTATION | DO NOT STAY HERE”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed January 9, 2014

In June my friend and I went to the Dominican Republic for a week vacation. We stayed at the 4 star Cofresi Palm Beach Spa & Resort. The hotel grounds were well taken care of and the check-in staff were friendly…at first. We waited an hour to get our room keys and when we entered the hotel room we were content with our accommodation. Later, in the evening after a full day of swimming and meeting other vacationers, we retorted back to the hotel room. We had showered and got ready for bed. When I noticed my friend had fallen asleep I decided it was time for me to go to sleep as well. I shut off the television and got under the sheets. I was dozing off when I caught something in the corner of my eye. As I opened my eyes, fully, I saw multiple insects crawling just inches from my face. I jumped up and out of the bed in dismay screaming to wake up my friend. We turned on the lights and saw that the ENTIRE room was swarming with both crawling and flying cockroaches. My bed was literally covered. I can’t even really explain the sensation, but I’m sure you can imagine waking up in a bed covered in roaches (I have attached images and videos for you to view).

I called down to reception and in my best spanish I declared that ‘ tengo un grande problema en mi habitacion’ (I have a big problem in my room). The night clerk told us that someone would come by shortly. The gentleman they sent refused to actually enter the room, which upset us further. He did not attempt to help us gather our belongings even though he could see how scared we were of entering the room. He suggested we go to the front desk with him on the golf cart. Before leaving with the employee my friend and I quickly retrieved all of our belongings, being sure to shake off the insects before putting the items back into our luggage. Try to image how frantic and disgusted we were during the midst of the infestation.

It’s around 1am when we get to the lobby and to our surprise, no one there is sympathetic to the event we just endured. We asked to speak with management, but they were unavailable until 8am. The night workers offered us a different room to sleep in but when we arrived at the new room, we noticed that our old room was just two room lengths away. Obviously, we do not want to sleep in a room close to the other one as it too is likely infested. We returned to the front desk where we were aggressively told that there was no other option. This news was strange to us, as the property is huge and they were no where near capacity. We insisted on new accommodations but to no avail. My friend and I slept in the lobby that night with all of our belongings. Actually, my friend slept while I watched the bats fly around the roof of the lobby in fear.

As the sun came up people started to arrive to the hotel and we were pretty embarrassed to be sleeping in the lobby. The manager arrived at 8:35am and took us into a small room located inside the lobby. We told her what had happened and she insisted that they did not have a cockroach infestation. We had videos and pictures but she was not going to incriminate herself for nothing. To make matter worse, the manager declined to have housekeeping wash our clothes. Instead she moved us to a new room section (section 41) that had a nicer interior. The funny thing is that we checked into the new room around 9ish , which means this room was available from the night before and they just did not want to offer it to us.

Later, we saw an exterminator on the hotel property and when we asked what he was exterminating he clearly replied ‘cocaroachas’ (cockroaches in English). How dare this hotel deny it’s infestation, yet have workers walking around the resort with toxin tanks on their backs. Do not ever stay at this hotel unless you want to wake up covered in cockroaches.

We are seeking compensation for the night we slept in the lobby. Please see images. I have a video recording of the room but it has a little profanity in it. You can find the video on YouTube if you type in "Cofresi Palm Beach Spa & Resort", just look for the thumbnail of the reddish floors.

Hope this review helps.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms below the waterfall pool. I think the cockkroach room number was something...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Complaint_City
Write a ReviewReviews (3,897)

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We just came back from the Cofresi. We were a goup of 15 with young children and adults. I was nervous due to the reviews I had read however overall it is a great place.
There are some things that you can tell quite clearly why it is a 3.5 star. They would have no towels, hot water at times an issue, rooms would not be cleaned unless you asked, there were no locks for safes available at check in.
On the positive, food overall was good! However the one restaurant was very smelly, the food was good and service great but the smell walking into it was difficult to get over.
It was difficult to impossible to change your reservations.
We did go VIP and upgraded to a juniour suite and I do recommnend doing this for sure! It is worth the money. The one VIP beach area was awesome and great food and drinks and service!
The juniour suite was very large and clean. However your fridge is only stocked once with beer and pop and you have to bug them to ensure you get more water, which you need as you cant drink the water.
The animation crew were very good. Salami kept our kids happy and entertained and made them feel very special. Misquito was also very entertaining.
We were bothered a few times about time shares but we just stated no and kept on walking.
I was impressed overall with this place, as it was better then I was expecting. I have stayed at other higer rated resorts in the Domincan and they too had some of the same problems and I would say I think the food at the Cofressi was perhaps better.
I was disappointed in the bartenders. We tipped well and they had no life to them. They were boring! At other places it is the bartenders that get the crowd going. I found the servers in the buffet and the maintence men on the beach and the maids much more friendly and willing to chat or help out. I think the bartenders should be ashamed of themselfs or go and get happy!
The New Years Eve bash at first was like a bad wedding and the organization of the food set up what horrific!!! Very poorly organized. However it did turn around and get going with a great band and fantastic fireworks but it was a long time coming!
The disco was entertaining, the shows were deffinatley 3.5 star rated.
The surroundings are beautiful and lots of pools so you never felt crowded and it was filled while we were there. It was nice to see lifeguards as well.
I would go again however as I said,spend the money and upgrade!
I have put the sleep quality as low as the mattress on our beds were not very comfortable, and they would not stay in place. Service is low due to the bartenders. Our rooms were much better then the standard room where the rest of the group was staying.
Watch out for golf karts as people get drunk and drive crazy, one lady nearly drove right through our patio doors without even a sorry. (golf karts are only for the very very vip)

Room Tip: stay in the 400 buildings
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kristie590
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our family visited this resort during Christmas and New Years. Hotel was lovely and the grounds are beautiful. Upon check in as a Nolitours Plus client we were given rooms the were not connecting with incorrect sleeping configurations. I advised then of the mistake and were advised that it would be changed the following day...this never happened. When trying to make resturant reservations for the family we were given separate times at every reservation made. Trying to correct this issue also never happened and our representive "Freddy" was not able to help with this very simple task. Each time we would try to advise and fix the issues we faced we were told the a new reservation would be slide under the door on three occasions this again never happened. The Brazillian restaurant service was so bad that we had to walk out during our first dinner after the server dropped the food on her arm proceeded to put it on my plate then drop the next course on my daughters salad plate as she was finishing. Brian "the manager" followed us to the Pearl "Buffet" to offer appologies. Thank-you Brian!

Beware of the Lifesyles Resort recruiters. They watch for new arrivals and will snag you with and offer of a resort tour for vacationers that are not tanned. What they are selling is a VIP vacation and feel no way at downgrading the tour operations that people have chosen for their vacation. The resort allows people to go to the Welcome Party, VIP Beach, Bubble Night Club and New Years Bash that Lifestyles provides with the hope that you will drop and extra $21000+ to get the piece of Rich and Famous they are selling. If you do not sigh up the tour ends, your advised to take your drink in a to-go cup and leave to find your own way back. The Helicopter and Limo would never be an option for you without the signup. My heart goes out to the individuals that signed up knowing later that they could not get out of the impulse desision and there were many that were met over our stay! The Confresi staff and representative for Nolitours neglected to advise us of this tour they would offer and that if you chose to not participate you would be hungry that night as everything is closed when these events are happening.

We chose to not purchase the Lifestyle opportunities and felt comfortable with being part of the common vacationers during our two week stay as a noliplus family. Staying away from the hotel lobby at all times helped us deal with the disrespect we were offered when we needed any type of assistance during our stay.

Unfortunately, we will not return to the Dominican or this resort based on our experiences and quite possiblly not use Nolitours as our operator for our Christmas Vacation Tradition. Being a pretty resort is not enough!

The front desk staff were less than helpful to the point of being disprespectful.

Room Tip: Demand a top floor to have you from the sewage smell.
5  Thank Laura T
Reviewed January 8, 2014

it was the best new years trip i ever had the staff were friendly and unlike alot of resorts we were never hounded winston the guide was very helpful new years eve day i wanted to dance that nite but i had no moves salami took the time to teach me a few which made my nite we enjoyed our trip so much my friend mr wilner joined lifestlye vacation club so now we can come back vip i will bring my whole family my next vacation as i know all would have a good time i work at a high end golf resort in canada and will be using some of service tips i observed thanks to all your staff for making a great vacation timothy giroux

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Timothy,

Thank you for having chosen Cofresi Palm Beach and Spa Resort to spend your holidays. We appreciate you took the time to express your experience in this review.

We are happy to hear that you had a great time in our resort.

It would be a pleasure to host you again in the future.

Best Regards,
The Management

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have read pretty much all of the reviews on this site, and am now very nervous. I booked through Noli Tours (leaving from Toronto). I have heard the rooms are very dated for those who book this way (I did not know that before booking). I am taking my 20 year old daughter on our first tropical vacation and really want everything to be as good as possible. I have called the hotel numerous times to put in requests and I have either been hung up on (after being on hold for 5-10 minutes) or told continuously to call back. I have also emailed with no response. This of course does not leave a good first impression before even arriving! Last year I was in the Dominican and stayed at the Playa Dorada beach and it was amazing - but figured it is always nice to try something new...kind of wishing I had stuck with that I know...
If anyone has any suggestions to make the best out of our week please feel free to share. I will be writing another review here once I return...hopefully I will be able to say everything was great. (fingers crossed).

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Shannon S

Dear Shannon,

Thank you so much for choosing our resort as your next holidays destination.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you in Cofresi Palm Beach Resort and Spa.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at info@lhvcresorts.com to let us know how we can help you to enjoy your stay.

Best Regards,

The management,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Decent value for money. Staff was outstanding. I can't express how great the service was and how warm and friendly all the people are. They had an unbelievable New Year's party with bands, decorations, more food that you can imagine, flowing drinks and a great fireworks display. There was another party with a foam pit we loved. Lots of nice pools and the property nice.
Part is a vacation club so they do promote it at the parties etc. but they did not bother us once about buying in.
There are helicopters overhead a lot during the day transporting special guests and giving rides. We didn’t mind but some people may not appreciate the noise.
Be aware of what you paid relative to other resorts when you use the restaurants and see the beach.
It is on the Atlantic & wavy - a great quantity of torn up sea grass in the water, turbulent so not clear and no snorkeling. Good enough though for nice walks & banana boat rides. Some days were less weedy than others and we got in a couple times – nice and warm.
The food was not great. Best were omelet & pasta bars at the buffets & any authentic Dominican food - rice, beans, chicken. Casablanca much fresher than Pearl. A la carte restaurants not much better if at all than Casablanca. Jonny's especially horrible with food that seemed to come from yesterday’s buffet plus overpowering musty smell - but a super great Manager & staff that could not do enough for us. The whole reservation system a hassle – mostly you get stuck with what restaurants and times they select when you check in. They say you can change but we had little success.
There was a very stinky sewage pit we needed to walk by. We understand the rainfall has not been adequate and perhaps this contributed to the smell.
It was hilly with lots of stairs so if you are not fit - it may be an issue.
Take lots of small change for tips. Very hard to break big bills & it becomes embarrassing when you can’t tip great staff immediately for good service. I would probably take approx. $300 USD in $2’s for tips alone next trip.
Not sure we would go back because we love to snorkel close to where we stay. Parties will not be easily forgotten & New Year’s in hot weather under palms may just need to become a tradition!

Room Tip: We stayed in block 303 - it was midway to beach & main pool area we liked
1  Thank TorontoMcCoy2

Dear guest,

First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort for your holidays and for the time you took to share your review with the Tripadvisor community.

We would like to thank you for highlighting our strengths and weaknesses. Please be sure that your observations are taking into great consideration for their analysis, in order to improve the points you mentioned.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Cofresi Palm Beach to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any negative perception you may have about us.

Best regards,

The management,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

we had stayed at this resort before, but when it was sun village. we were surprised to see how large it has become now with lifestyles buying it out. it was fabulous. we upgraded to v.i.p's and the service and amneties were out of this world. the animation team was spectacular, kudos to salami(my new husband), George(mickey mouse) Julio, and speedy Gonzales, they went above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable and interacted with guests on a whole new level.
the shuttle service was amazing and the restaurants are to die for. the sunday parties are out of this world as was new years eve bash. would definitely go back again, but now being members of lifestyle vacation club, we are excited to try some of their other destinations. Love you Sala
mi