In June my friend and I went to the Dominican Republic for a week vacation. We stayed at the 4 star Cofresi Palm Beach Spa & Resort. The hotel grounds were well taken care of and the check-in staff were friendly…at first. We waited an hour to get our room keys and when we entered the hotel room we were content with our accommodation. Later, in the evening after a full day of swimming and meeting other vacationers, we retorted back to the hotel room. We had showered and got ready for bed. When I noticed my friend had fallen asleep I decided it was time for me to go to sleep as well. I shut off the television and got under the sheets. I was dozing off when I caught something in the corner of my eye. As I opened my eyes, fully, I saw multiple insects crawling just inches from my face. I jumped up and out of the bed in dismay screaming to wake up my friend. We turned on the lights and saw that the ENTIRE room was swarming with both crawling and flying cockroaches. My bed was literally covered. I can’t even really explain the sensation, but I’m sure you can imagine waking up in a bed covered in roaches (I have attached images and videos for you to view).
I called down to reception and in my best spanish I declared that ‘ tengo un grande problema en mi habitacion’ (I have a big problem in my room). The night clerk told us that someone would come by shortly. The gentleman they sent refused to actually enter the room, which upset us further. He did not attempt to help us gather our belongings even though he could see how scared we were of entering the room. He suggested we go to the front desk with him on the golf cart. Before leaving with the employee my friend and I quickly retrieved all of our belongings, being sure to shake off the insects before putting the items back into our luggage. Try to image how frantic and disgusted we were during the midst of the infestation.
It’s around 1am when we get to the lobby and to our surprise, no one there is sympathetic to the event we just endured. We asked to speak with management, but they were unavailable until 8am. The night workers offered us a different room to sleep in but when we arrived at the new room, we noticed that our old room was just two room lengths away. Obviously, we do not want to sleep in a room close to the other one as it too is likely infested. We returned to the front desk where we were aggressively told that there was no other option. This news was strange to us, as the property is huge and they were no where near capacity. We insisted on new accommodations but to no avail. My friend and I slept in the lobby that night with all of our belongings. Actually, my friend slept while I watched the bats fly around the roof of the lobby in fear.
As the sun came up people started to arrive to the hotel and we were pretty embarrassed to be sleeping in the lobby. The manager arrived at 8:35am and took us into a small room located inside the lobby. We told her what had happened and she insisted that they did not have a cockroach infestation. We had videos and pictures but she was not going to incriminate herself for nothing. To make matter worse, the manager declined to have housekeeping wash our clothes. Instead she moved us to a new room section (section 41) that had a nicer interior. The funny thing is that we checked into the new room around 9ish , which means this room was available from the night before and they just did not want to offer it to us.
Later, we saw an exterminator on the hotel property and when we asked what he was exterminating he clearly replied ‘cocaroachas’ (cockroaches in English). How dare this hotel deny it’s infestation, yet have workers walking around the resort with toxin tanks on their backs. Do not ever stay at this hotel unless you want to wake up covered in cockroaches.
We are seeking compensation for the night we slept in the lobby. Please see images. I have a video recording of the room but it has a little profanity in it. You can find the video on YouTube if you type in "Cofresi Palm Beach Spa & Resort", just look for the thumbnail of the reddish floors.
Hope this review helps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort – Dominican Republic is the newest jewel in the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club. Nestled along the Cofresi beach shores, and overlooking the sparkling Caribbean sea, this resort caters to the luxurious enjoyment of both families and couples looking for that perfect getaway. With 468 well-appointed accommodations that range from Adult Only Spa Suites, to Standard family friendly rooms located in a quite setting between the ocean beach and spectacular pool, this is a paradise worthy of the Lifestyle name. The resort was created with space and comfort in mind, making Cofresi Palm a relaxing, enjoyable and satisfying experience for all guests and their families. All rooms have air conditioning, cable television, phones, and ceiling fans, while the decor has a distinctive design, featuring dark wood furnishings. Shaded patios and verandas provide a relaxing place to gather in some of the units. Providing both service and features that are standard for a Lifestyle property, the Cofresi Palm offers a unique luxury accommodations experience. Cofresi Palm provides the easy, relaxed ambiance of the Caribbean in an opulent and elegant setting. Experience the array of beauty and excitement that Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Village Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Hotel Cofresi
- Dominican Republic Sun Village
- Sun Village Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Spa
- Sun Village Resort Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Resort Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Beach Resort
- Sun Village Resort Spa Puerto Plata