“Comparison of Cofresi and Tropical”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I just returned from a stay of 4 nights at the Cofresi and one night at the Tropical, so I will post reviews under both properties, including the specifics of each resort.

We booked the room at Cofresi through Cheap Caribbean at an incredible price - When we arrived at the resort and checked into our room, the room was nice, nothing spectacular - but at the price we paid, it was fine. However, when I looked at the curtain it was moldy - A call to housekeeping and they quickly removed it. However, when I went to shower that night the shower did not have running water. We called down to housekeeping, and they came up and suddenly it worked (it had to have been off somewhere). The next morning, my friend was in the shower and it cut off again. At that, we went down to the desk and asked to be moved - that was too much to deal with for a week. The second room we were given was beautiful - the room was larger, nicely decorated, had a spa tub - and we overlooked the back of the Yin Yang Spa, which was so peaceful and scenic. The staff was wonderful and could not have been more helpful. I did a separate review of the Tropical, so please see that if you wish.

Overall the resort is phenomenal - The grounds are beautiful, most of the staff could not be friendlier, the Sunday night party is phenomenal and over the top from the food to the entertainment (one of the best sax players I have heard in years). The only food that we did not enjoy was Indochine, the Asian restaurant - Otherwise, we ate at Bellini (passable), The Blue Lagoon, the Mexican Restaurant, and both buffets. I was impressed by the quality of the buffet, but found that the buffet at Cofresi was much better - I blamed this more on the guests than the resort, because Tropical was much busier - the food was picked over and at the end many times, I don't think the staff could keep up with the demand. The pools were all lovely, and the beach was great at VIP beach. The property is huge, so I wouldn't advise trying to walk too many places - but shuttles were quick and plentiful.

The annoying part of it is the sales pitch - I understand that it is a vacation club - however, I do not want to be hounded at every turn - which is how I felt at some points by the men in white shirts who were trying to convince us that we had to come receive our welcome package - they actually receive payment if they get you to the welcome center and hand you off to a sales person, so I understand their incentive. We were fortunate on our first day to meet a shareholder with a golf cart, and he took us on a wonderful tour of the property and explained all the amenities - If I were seeking to buy into a club, this would be it - And if you have never been to the property, the tour would be helpful because it is huge. However, having said no, I don't want to be bothered again, and I don't want phone calls to my room in the early am by sales people - I am on vacation and want to enjoy my vacation, not have to get up and meet them. So, if you are of a similar mindset, avoid the men in white shirts that say "we work for you" on the back.

I would definitely go back - however, I would stay at the Cofresi or rent through an owner rather than risk dealing with what we had at the Tropical again.

6  Thank suz
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear guest,

We are really sorry that the room did not meet your expectations, anyhow we appreciate that you took your time to write this review.
Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize the issues that had with the shower.

We are very happy to read that after these problems you had a great vacation. We are glad to see that we have achieved your satisfaction and we hope to have you with us at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort in the near future.

Please keep in mind that we will be pleased to welcome you back.

Best regards,

The Management

There are newer reviews for Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had such a great experience at the Presidential Suites at Confresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort. The staff was wonderful...pleasant, happy, polite and ready to help you with whatever you needed. Big shout out to our main bartender Silvio. What a great guy! So happy to have met him. I had a great time at the club "The Spot". DJ Alex and his smiling sidekick totally made our night. The beaches and pool areas were clean and you were able to find each to fit whatever needs you may have. (Quiet, Kids, Party atmosphere...etc.) The restaurants were all great...breakfast buffet not so much. There were long lines and not much of an option. BUT there were other breakfast locations that were less busy and peaceful. The beds in the room were perfect! Rooms were updated and cleaned every day according to our schedule. Even the "hustlers" on the beach backed off once you said you weren't interested and were really nice. My only suggestion...if you are a tipper...bring dollar bills. It was hard to break bills. Also, there are alot of hills and stairs so may be difficult for elderly, to push wheelchairs or strollers or carrying kids around, but golf carts and vans are available constantly. I loved this place and cannot wait to go back.

2  Thank Brigid301

Dear Guest,

I really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a great vacation at our Resort.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our Hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it enables us to continue improving and providing our service for
We hope to welcome you back and remain at your disposition for any assistance prior your next visit.

Best regards,

The Management

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel is terrible, my stay was crazy ,The worst rooms I have ever seen in my life,beds are old, rooms are dirty, no safy-box in the room, breakfast is poor, ..was horrible, dirty and pretty scary!
The people working there were rude slightly ,weird. They gave us a room in which I would never sleep on my own (luckily I was with a friend). There was a window facing some stairs in the middle of the building, and believe me that was awful.

Breakfast was just low bad.

Please if you dont want to have nightmares, dont choose this hotel.

Room Tip: corner suites..
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank ydemata
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We purchased a package for 4 people (2 adults and 2 children) for 7 nights on Travelocity. When we arrived, this place insisted that we pay an extra $30/child per night, despite the fact that we purchased for 4 people on Travelocity. We were required to go on a presentation (which was a surprise to us) and when we didn't buy, we were not brought back to our room, but instead dropped off and told to take a shuttle back. Power went off constantly in our room, which we figured was controlled by a motion sensor. When we were in bed not moving, the power would shut off. When we got up, power would go back on. What a joke! We called and we were told that this was not normal, but it was not fixed. Fixtures were broken in our room as well. Food is below average, lines for buffet are long and service is slow. At some times, there were no clean plates or utensils at the buffet and food items that ran out were not quickly replenished. We were told that we could have access to a certain number of restaurants, but then were told that we could not make reservations (which are required), beyond the two that were provided when we checked in. So how is that access??? I will NEVER deal with anything associated with Lifestyle Holidays again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Scott D
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Just got back from a 7 day trip to this resort. In general i would go back. the food is average and i am not a picky eater. the Entertainment team is great especially Scoobydoo( Pedro) he is super nice and will help with what ever he can. i strongly recommend to pay a little bit more and get the vip package you get better alcohol and better choices of restaurants, you have beaches and pools that are exclusive. this is a resort for people who enjoy bigger resorts as it has 8 or 9 hotels in 1. i enjoyed the mexican restaurant a la carte.

1  Thank Anny1983
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This hotel is amazing, my stay was excellent, the staff, the service, pool animators, Chaggy, Scooby, Rambo and others encouraged us, the food wasnt varied and unfortunately we could not enjoy the party on Sunday because it was canceled, but generally all wonderful and i ll back all the time that i can.

Room Tip: The junior suites near of the last pool and Dominican Restaurant 're the best.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank stephaniealicia86
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We are back Cofrési we stayed from 11 till 18 October 2013 my mother NINI my sister Sonia and I M C we made magnificent journey all three for me I am in my 4 stays to Cofresi there I see the improvements every time my travelling companions were to amaze of this charming site for me my part I am at my home(with me) as soon as I arrive there everything is completed the hotel, the always thoughtful employees, the food everything is very well, the animation on the beach(range) and in the swimming pool wow! And wow Speedy Gonsale, Rambo, Shaggy, Scoobydoo they are Great! I recommend you Cofresi Palm Beach and spa to Puerto Plata it is magnificent for me it is 5 stars this site and soon I would turn(return) it Marie Claude G.

Room Tip: Junior Suite excellent!!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends