I just returned from a stay of 4 nights at the Cofresi and one night at the Tropical, so I will post reviews under both properties, including the specifics of each resort.
We booked the room at Cofresi through Cheap Caribbean at an incredible price - When we arrived at the resort and checked into our room, the room was nice, nothing spectacular - but at the price we paid, it was fine. However, when I looked at the curtain it was moldy - A call to housekeeping and they quickly removed it. However, when I went to shower that night the shower did not have running water. We called down to housekeeping, and they came up and suddenly it worked (it had to have been off somewhere). The next morning, my friend was in the shower and it cut off again. At that, we went down to the desk and asked to be moved - that was too much to deal with for a week. The second room we were given was beautiful - the room was larger, nicely decorated, had a spa tub - and we overlooked the back of the Yin Yang Spa, which was so peaceful and scenic. The staff was wonderful and could not have been more helpful. I did a separate review of the Tropical, so please see that if you wish.
Overall the resort is phenomenal - The grounds are beautiful, most of the staff could not be friendlier, the Sunday night party is phenomenal and over the top from the food to the entertainment (one of the best sax players I have heard in years). The only food that we did not enjoy was Indochine, the Asian restaurant - Otherwise, we ate at Bellini (passable), The Blue Lagoon, the Mexican Restaurant, and both buffets. I was impressed by the quality of the buffet, but found that the buffet at Cofresi was much better - I blamed this more on the guests than the resort, because Tropical was much busier - the food was picked over and at the end many times, I don't think the staff could keep up with the demand. The pools were all lovely, and the beach was great at VIP beach. The property is huge, so I wouldn't advise trying to walk too many places - but shuttles were quick and plentiful.
The annoying part of it is the sales pitch - I understand that it is a vacation club - however, I do not want to be hounded at every turn - which is how I felt at some points by the men in white shirts who were trying to convince us that we had to come receive our welcome package - they actually receive payment if they get you to the welcome center and hand you off to a sales person, so I understand their incentive. We were fortunate on our first day to meet a shareholder with a golf cart, and he took us on a wonderful tour of the property and explained all the amenities - If I were seeking to buy into a club, this would be it - And if you have never been to the property, the tour would be helpful because it is huge. However, having said no, I don't want to be bothered again, and I don't want phone calls to my room in the early am by sales people - I am on vacation and want to enjoy my vacation, not have to get up and meet them. So, if you are of a similar mindset, avoid the men in white shirts that say "we work for you" on the back.
I would definitely go back - however, I would stay at the Cofresi or rent through an owner rather than risk dealing with what we had at the Tropical again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort – Dominican Republic is the newest jewel in the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club. Nestled along the Cofresi beach shores, and overlooking the sparkling Caribbean sea, this resort caters to the luxurious enjoyment of both families and couples looking for that perfect getaway. With 468 well-appointed accommodations that range from Adult Only Spa Suites, to Standard family friendly rooms located in a quite setting between the ocean beach and spectacular pool, this is a paradise worthy of the Lifestyle name. The resort was created with space and comfort in mind, making Cofresi Palm a relaxing, enjoyable and satisfying experience for all guests and their families. All rooms have air conditioning, cable television, phones, and ceiling fans, while the decor has a distinctive design, featuring dark wood furnishings. Shaded patios and verandas provide a relaxing place to gather in some of the units. Providing both service and features that are standard for a Lifestyle property, the Cofresi Palm offers a unique luxury accommodations experience. Cofresi Palm provides the easy, relaxed ambiance of the Caribbean in an opulent and elegant setting. Experience the array of beauty and excitement that Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Groupon, BookIt.com, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Village Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Hotel Cofresi
- Dominican Republic Sun Village
- Sun Village Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Spa
- Sun Village Resort Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Resort Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Beach Resort
- Sun Village Resort Spa Puerto Plata