“NICE VACATION!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Montreal
“NICE VACATION!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I must admit that the first 2 days I was not enjoying my vacation at this hotel. It took us a while to figure out how the hotel worked (Basic, VIP, VIP members) and where the restaurants and shows were and so forth, but once all of that was figured out it was a nice vacation. I was more upset at the way my husband and I (with our 14 month old) were treated when after breakfast they took us to their timesharing crap and wasted 2 hours of my vacation time, when we kindly told them we were not interested they didn't give us a ''tour'' of the hotel area as promised and showed us the door. Their name tags says ''we work for you'' but if they expect to sell timeshares with that attitude they really won't get anywhere.

Putting that aside and concentrating only on the hotel..there's nothing bad that I can possibly say...I asked for a crib to be put in our room 41313 and it was done quickly, no hesitation, no missunderstandings.. I read that airconditioners and televisions didn't work, it worked fine where we were. The rooms are beautiful, speciouse and well maintained and clean. I have a 14month old baby and we didn't get sick. The food a la carte is AMAZING (we ate at the italian, seafood, mexican, indoasian and they were all excellent).

I didn't mind the walking although for those with children (like mine that still don't walk) or for the handicaped it really isn't a cup of tea whether your going to the beach or simply to go eat out and take the shuttle bus, it's a headache more then anything.

They treated us with respect, of course the entertainement group really work hard at making you feel welcomed, and they deserve props for their hard work. Snoopy, Romeo, Banana, etc. they really are great and for sure you will run into them. I was surprised that I didn't see more women entertainers which would have been fun, you mostly see is only men.

Over all you won't regret your vacation, be nice to them but if you have to put someone in their place just do so...And I strongly recommend that if you can afford to upgrade your package for VIP please do, the drinks are much more tastier, you get served by the beach with food and drinks, and of course your room is much nicer.

Room Tip: Upgrade it for the junior suites (VIP service)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Twinkles5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Worst accommodations I have ever been in. Noisy, toilet broken. Went to the desk to get another room and it was out of the question unless we signed up for the time share. Beach was OK except for the screaming babies and the activities director with a microphone turned all the way up. Food was below typical cafeteria food. Either the staff was hounding you to buy a timeshare or the locals on the beach would bother you. I paid American Airlines $500 to cut my vacation 5 days short, couldn't take it anymore.

Room Tip: Do not go.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NCTraveler-a
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are really sorry that we did not meet your expectations, anyhow we appreciate that you took your time to write this review.
Your comments are taken very seriously, we will use it to improve our product and we apologize for not being able to fulfill your expectations
The few times that we do encounter an unhappy guest we address the issue immediately and turn the challenge into an opportunity.
We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of food and drinks has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our satisfaction questionnaires.
Besides, the selection of products that compose our gastronomically supply is done taking into consideration the diversity of the guests who visit us.
We sincerely regret that the quality of the food and beverages offered in our Hotel have not met your expectations after all.

Hanna City, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our stay at Cofresi Palm was disapointing as far a inclusives go. We got bombarded to buy a time share did not appreciate that. We are only allowed to eat at certain places. Could eat at better dining only if you had bought into their time share. Had to be shuttled to most places as it was so big. What really made our vacation was the animation team. Omega, Speedy, Rambo and Shaggy. They did an excellent job during the day and at night for our entertainment. I would not recomend this place only if you want to buy into it and not be treated like a 2nd class person. The disco for night time entertainment had black mold growing around the walls. The ventelation system was terrible. You could not breath. No will not be back

Room Tip: not here, they will put you where they want
Peoria, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

This vacation was booked in February 2013 for 1 week in September 2013. I will admit that the resort has been updated since my last stay at the resort in 2009.
We had 2 adjoining rooms for our group and on our second day there one room had been entered and the door left open. It took at least 1 hour talking to security and the front desk to "make a report" but nothing was done about it. The new rooms are larger and have jet tubs, however, there was black mold in the shower ceiling and something green in the tub. To get any water, pop or beer in the room you have to pay the maid.
Upon your arrival you are immediately made an appointment for breakfast the next morning to see the resort. This was an attempt to sell you a time share and become a "member". At the time of check in you are provided 2 reservations for dinner at 2 of the 12 restaurants. When we asked to change times, one was at 9:30 pm, and were informed that we can check back but the "member" get first choice. When we attempted to make dinner reservations for the other restaurants, again we were told that they were booked as members have first choice for reservations. Many people that we met stated they were informed of the same thing but most stated the restaurants were not full. Therefore, we were stuck eating at the buffet's. We were not impressed with any of the food. The Welcome party was cancelled with no postings, had it not been for the Animation team no one would have known.
Cofresi states there are 12 pools, which may be true but we only saw 6 and one is supposed to be the children's pool. We used the pool near our rooms which was posted as an adult pool, however children, not just a few but many kids were at this pool our entire stay. The pool was one of the newer pools but had not been well maintained as tires were missing and algae was growing on the sides. The beach was very nice but the water was not pretty as most resorts that I have been to.
Cofresi also advertises a disco, this is a small room that smells of mold and mildew so bad that after 5 minutes I had to leave due to my asthma. There was standing water on the floor from all the condensation.
I have to admit there were a few good points of this resort, they were the animation team of Rambo, Speedy, Scooby doo, Shaggy and Omega. They made the days fun with their games and entertainment and made great attempts to get everyone involved.

We will not be returning to this resort as we did get a good deal from CheapCaribbean but we did not get what we were told the package included.

1 Thank Glenda H
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the observations concerning the service at the hotel, and we are sorry that we were not able to impress you with some of our services and amenities at the resort.
We are in the business to bring an enjoyable and excellent experience to all of our guests.
Regarding the dinner reservations, we have a system, that depending on the amount of days of your stay you get pre-assigned reservations up on your arrival, then for the rest of the days you may go to the Guest Service department to make the reservations, other wise we have two big buffet restaurants with huge variety of food.

Irmo, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

There are not a lot of places we would go back to....only because we have a giant list of places we would like to see. Still, this resort earns a slot on our "might return" list - second only to the Four Seasons in Punta Mita for me.

Yes, it is a resort divided between the "haves" and "others". Go into your visit knowing you may only have access to all but three or four restaurants and bars and two of the 6 beaches, and your pride won't get in the way of a great time. And, if you really need to have that additional access, buy into their Lifestyle vacation club....or befriend a member, who can get you into those few additional places you cannot go on your own....or just be kind to the staff, and they will flex the rules a bit.

Why would I go back? SUPERB service and staff, great beaches and protected coves, and plenty to keep you busy if you want to be....or plenty of places to laze the day away, if that is what you want to do. The property is BEAUTIFUL, even if a little confusing in its layout. The latter does not matter, as there is plenty of transportation to get you EXACTLY where you need to go....and you meet great folks on the buses.

The food is not the reason to visit. Believe they are cooking for a bland pallet, though you can get spicy food at Indochine and Jazz...if you can get a reservation. One night, we did not have one, and I simply went to the front desk, and they handed me a reservation at one of the "exclusive" joints.

One bothersome aspect of our visit was the security staff. It is a tough job, probably, and is one reason We felt safe here, but they were a bit overbearing. Guess it is difficult to be anything other than TOO intense, because this is what keeps this property secure. Just like the rest of the staff, once they got to know us, and they did, they lightened up...a bit.

It is a fun and very beautiful resort. The best all inclusive I have ever visited.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rob H
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort as the hotel to enjoy your vacation and we also thank you for writing this comment about your experience here at our resort.
We are very happy to read that you had a great vacation and that you would recommend us to your friends.
We also appreciate your recommendation to other future guests.
Hope to have you back with us very soon.

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Let me first say, I am a seasoned traveller. We love to go anywhere and stay in anything from 4 star hotels to cute and clean timeshares. We love to eat, drink, and take in the culture/fun of where ever we are visiting. Sooooo, when I found this amazing deal on CheapCaribbean for Cofresi (exactly what we could afford after spending July in Europe) I read ALL the reviews. As you know if you read a few, they range from wonderful to awful. I took the plunge anyway and then made my husband read a few different ones. I wanted him to be just as prepared as I was. Here's the low down;
Few into Santo Domingo because of the super cheap airfare. Met the nicest couple (thanks Guillermo and Alex!) that actually drove us to the bus station and bought our tickets to Puerta Plata! The ride was comfy albeit a bit long (almost 4 hours). Upon our late arrival, we were greeted by Frailin, a very courteous front desk attendant, who generously up graded us to a jr. suite (in the 40 buildings as requested) and even gave us a reservation that another guest cancelled for The Blue Lagoon. We were whisked away to our room by a waiting golf cart and were extremely pleased when we got to it (3 flights of stairs but our "driver" insisted on carrying both bags up). It was beautiful...I decorate so I know, gorgeous tumbled marble through out with stainless steel accents, huge jacuzzi tub, separate walk-in shower, separate toilet room. The bed was huge, and all the furniture was mod-Danish. Nice balcony overlooking the pool and sea in the distance.
Our driver waited while we freshened up and took us to our dinner. Beautiful restaurant, smart, clean, and well-maintained like everything here! We enjoyed filet mignon ( not like in the States but tasty none-the-less) snapper, chicken and some nice starters. We just kept talking about how great it all was and what was wrong with people who wrote the bad reviews. I got it a few days later. We hit the breakfast buffet the next day over at Casablanca (one of 2, Pearl being th either with less choices) and got our first feel of what some of the complainers meant. It is limited. Yes, you can get eggs anyway you want, there is bacon although some is not cooked very well, pancakes and waffles unfortunately made from bad batter, cereals, fruits, inexpensive cold cuts, breads, and pastries. Juice was from a sweet concentrate but was doable. That was the prevalent theme through our stay. We ate at Indochine one night which was ok, Trapeche the other (horrible fajitas sent back for a nice piece of salmon-cheap nacho bar with processed cheese). We LOVED the VIP beach with its giant cabanas, good service, cooling jacuzzis, so-so sushi bar (two types of rolls a day made with bland improperly cooked sushi rice serve by an unfriendly chef). We drank and ate there everyday...good mixed drinks-bad frozen, using sugary syrups instead of frozen fruit mixers or anything resembling fruit). The snack menu also had some good items, chicken wings, salad, wraps, and more of the nacho stuff (good when heated 4-5 beers down!). The beach is lovely so as I said, we came here everyday...so relaxing and free wifi.
We did hear of others that weren't so lucky with their rooms or had a bad meal. We were also disappointed they canceled the big Sunday night party with tons of entertainment, and supposedly roasted pigs and lobster. We were all sent to the buffets instead. We walked out of Pearl hoping Casablanca had a better selection and thankfully, they did. No lobster or roast pork but they did have a decent pasta station and rotisserie chicken. The entertainment was a young lounge singer that we were embarrassed for.
We were hit up to do the time share tour but like everyone else wrote, a firm no sufficed in thwarting their advances.
We did enjoy our holiday there and would probably go back if we could get better airfare into Santiago to Puerta Plata.

Room Tip: Beg for the new 40's buildings!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sharpeigirl
Dear Guest,

It is of great honor to us to receive a review like this one that you have kindly shared with us. Your compliment towards our staff really shows the readers the true results of our efforts to provide a unforgettable experience and also help us to always improve our service. We are glad to see that we have achieved your satisfaction and we hope to have you with us at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort in the near future.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I just returned last week from a 7 night stay at Cofresi. Overall, the vacation was fine and for what we paid (got a greal deal on cheap caribbean) I am happy with the trip. That being said, I do not plan on returning.

I have been to a few all inclusives in the past, and they have all been part of a time share or vacation club. However, these other resorts were up front when trying to sell me a time share. The way they do it at this resort was quite sneaky, telling us it was a tour for our first day so we could learn the resort and see where we could get in with our wrist bands. In reality, it was a high pressure sales pitch with a guilt trip thrown in for good measure (our sales person told us that if he doesn't sell time shares he doesn't get paid and then won't be able to support his family). No thank you.

So we stuck with our lowly blue bands. Never have I been to a resort where there is SUCH a difference between the VIPs (members) and non-VIPs. The food was absolutely terrible at the buffets and there was no local food! Hotdogs, hamburgers, sandwiches and pasta are staples. And they try and force you to eat at the buffets as much as possible by only giving you two reservations for dinner at a restaurant. We ended up getting more by calling guest services every day to try and get cancellations. We ate at four restaurants during our stay: Bellini (Italian, absolutely horrible), Indochine (Chinese, even worse - basically the food is not edible), Trapiche (Mexican and delicious!) and Blue Lagoon (seafood, average).

OK now onto the bars. The only place to get "top shelf" (if you consider Beef Eater top shelf), is on the VIP side. Otherwise you only get rail liquor that is watered down. I did not care for their house white wine and there are no other options, again, unless you are VIP. You do have access to the VIP beach at the Tropical resort next door, even if you are not a member, so definitely go here to get the better drinks. Downside is it closes at 6. This is also the only place to get free wi fi, which is spotty, but it's something.

The room we had was quite nice, in building 40. There was no door to the bathroom, which was not ideal, but we made it work. Also, the lighting is TERRIBLE. Ladies, if you are planning to wear makeup, you might want to bring your own lighted mirror, otherwise you will be putting it on in the dark. Make sure you ask for the first floor if you have any difficulty with stairs, because there are no elevators in the buildlings. Also, the maid service wasn't great. There were days they forgot to leave us clean towels and forgot to restock our mini bar, despite us leaving a tip for them every day. There was also a pool with a bar right outside the building which was great. Despite there being large signs indicating that the pool was "adult only", this was not enforced at all. Tons of kids (even some in diapers) were constantly in the pool.

The one thing this resort really has going for it is the staff. The bartenders were super friendly and even let us change the TV channel on Sunday from soccer to football. The entertainment staff were great - Scooby Doo, Shaggy, Omega and especially Rambo! They organized volleyball games, dancing lessons, etc by the pool and made it really fun. They also put on fun shows at night that you can go to.

One last thing that I didn't expect is that someone is constantly trying to sell you something. The safe is extra, for example. And the resort lets in outside vendors who set up their tables along the walkways and literally chase after you to buy their art and jewelry. On the beach, they allow tour companies in to sell you excursions. Fortunately, after a few days, the guys seemed to know us and that we would say "no" and started leaving us alone.

So, like I said in the beginning, I would certainly not go back here. But for the price we paid, we had a perfectly nice time lying on the beach every day sipping cocktails. I would only recommend this place if you get a great deal! Or if you're a member, since it seems like things are much better on the VIP side.

3 Thank Megan D
The Management T, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any difficulty you may have experienced during your stay.