Have a seat as this will be long but hopefully insightful;
My husband and I have gone on extensive vacations as a couple and now over the past 10 years with our daughter. We go yearly and primarily stayed in 5 star resorts so this was a downgrade for us but we could not beat the price. I got an email for a cheap, cheap rate and began reading the reviews daily until we let, needless to say I was a wreck and second guessing our decision.
Our roundtrip flight was nonstop and had no probles at either airport. Checkin was smooth and we arrived too early. We packed a change of Summer clothes into our carry-on and changed upon arrival. Then ventured off to lunch, came back at 1:00 and our Junior Suite room was ready. DO NOT book anything less than this, you will regret it according to these reviews and other travelers we met while there. The room, balcony and bathroom were perfect.
The walls are paper thin, the power does go out every day and we simply needed to reset our clock every night, not a big deal.
The mini fridge is only stocked on your 1st day but following other review tips we tipped a couple of bucks each day and got 6 beers and sodas daily.
Your bath towels are taken every morning (while we were at breakfast) by someone other than your maid, she comes in the afternoon to clean. You need to call for towels daily, they seem to have some comodity on them!
The pools are amazing along with the beaches, although they said the resort was fully booked we had plenty of options on where to hang out. We met great people from all over and our daughter made some new lifetime friends. Exchanging horror stories with these folks was hilarious. We were people watching all day as our resort had a "model" timeshare room and the golf carts arrived every few minutes with the "latest suckers" as we all referred to them. Some got into arguments and an actual fight broke out after a couple spent 5 hrs on the tour and still had been checked in, security had to be called.
Food, we had 1 reservation for the Asian Fusion at 9:30 pm, hello! our daughter is sleeping by then. Guest services was useless throughout the trip. We ended up eating at the buffets which wasn't bad but repetative. We preffered the Casablanca over the Pearl.
The Sunday Welcome Party was amazing, a must attend event. Thursday night is the Street festival and Bravisimo show, heard that was good to, did not attend as we needed to pack for our morning departure.
Kids Club; our daughter had a blast, Kudo's to Grace who we loved. She took the kids horseback riding, over to Ocean World and even tennis lessons at no charge. This allowed for some quiet couple time. Grace also ran an 8:00 show for the kids daily before the animation shows at 9:30 those were great too. The animation team was great in the mornings also with choices of activites. We loved Banana and Blackie most.
Bars; plenty of them in the pool and around the beaches. Warning; they serve all drinks in the small 6 or 7 ounce plastic cups. You need 3 cups to equal a can of beer. More experienced people knew to bring their own larger mugs and the bartenders were happy to oblige.
Since the resort is built in the side of the mountain there are many many stairs as other reviewers stated. We saw some serious falls and 1 man even split his head open. I myself triped and bruised my foot for 2 days. I took the golf cart during that time to get around. Ladies, no sense in packing any heeled shoes they'll stay in your suitcase.
My husband said it perfectly throughout the trip, "this place is DEFINITELY not OSHA or FDA approved!
By the way, we got out of the whole tour by simply telling our guide that I need a bottle of champagne brought to our room for our anniversary, handed him $20 and told him to keep the change. He loved us all week and simply said "hola" with a smile and a wave, we got the champagne and no headaches from day 1.
The vendors are not in any main isles or areas, easy to avoid but we did souvenir shop and never pay the price they ask!
Not sure if I forgot anything but feel free to email me with questions. Back to my original question "would we return?" Probably, now that we know how to get around the "quirks" and if we got the same phenominal deal we did. For the price we can actually take another vacation in the Fall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort – Dominican Republic is the newest jewel in the Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club. Nestled along the Cofresi beach shores, and overlooking the sparkling Caribbean sea, this resort caters to the luxurious enjoyment of both families and couples looking for that perfect getaway. With 468 well-appointed accommodations that range from Adult Only Spa Suites, to Standard family friendly rooms located in a quite setting between the ocean beach and spectacular pool, this is a paradise worthy of the Lifestyle name. The resort was created with space and comfort in mind, making Cofresi Palm a relaxing, enjoyable and satisfying experience for all guests and their families. All rooms have air conditioning, cable television, phones, and ceiling fans, while the decor has a distinctive design, featuring dark wood furnishings. Shaded patios and verandas provide a relaxing place to gather in some of the units. Providing both service and features that are standard for a Lifestyle property, the Cofresi Palm offers a unique luxury accommodations experience. Cofresi Palm provides the easy, relaxed ambiance of the Caribbean in an opulent and elegant setting. Experience the array of beauty and excitement that Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Village Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Hotel Cofresi
- Dominican Republic Sun Village
- Sun Village Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Spa
- Sun Village Resort Dominican Republic
- Sun Village Resort Puerto Plata
- Sun Village Beach Resort
- Sun Village Resort Spa Puerto Plata