“My first all-inclusive experience”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Chicago
“My first all-inclusive experience”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Let me start by saying that the resort, a.k.a the compound, was very beautiful. The staff was helpful and friendly, and the food was alright depending on where you go. Brazil was delicious, but for 24hr food, I recommend Casablanca and Pearls, especially for breakfast and lunch. Now, the breakdown. When we first got to the airport and headed to our cab, watch out for the porters. They like to take your bags and get a cab for you for a fee. Mind you, they are standing right in front of the door to the cabs. By this time, you pretty much did the legwork yourself just by walking from the airplane to the front lobby. Just say No. You can do it yourself for no cost. The trip to the hotel was about $45.00. When we checked in, we we're a little concerned that we would have to wait till the 3pm check-in time. The person at the front desk said that that is not for guest arriving via air, so we checked in immediately. They give you a yellow wrist band that you can't remove until you leave, 2 room keys and 2 towel cards. If you lose the towel card, it's $100.00 American dollars each. We were then transported to building 42 where we had a lovely room with a balcony. Like some of the previous reviews, if you want to use the safe, ask for the key in the lobby. They charge a small fee. The mini fridge was not stocked, and never was. They do provide you with bottled water to brush your teeth and drink with. And, there was a hole by our sink where a trail of ants were crawling over the entire sink area. They did come and spray, but it didn't help. It was annoying, but not at the rate where we felt the need to change our room. Then there was a problem with our lock to the room. We kept swiping the key, but had no entry. We found out later that the battery was dying. After that, no problems. And, bring your own face towel. There was none in our room and we had to ask 3 times before we got one. Now, before we came up to our rooms, we were saying goodbye to another couple traveling with us that were staying in building 40 (later they switched to our building). A man in a polo with clip board had our names down and greeted us. He said there was a welcome breakfast for us in the morning and he'll pick us up. I knew, from the reviews I read, that this guy was trying to get us to buy a timeshare. We managed to avoid him the next morning, only to find him stalking us at Pearls. Don't get me wrong, he was nice and doing his job. But, when I asked him what we were going to be doing, he became evasive. Wrong move. I like it when people are up front, so he just should have said it. We eventually did go, had some drinks, and discussed it amongst ourselves. We never got a tour, but they did give us a gift bag of majarana (don't know if I spelled that right). The sales guys was pushy and had nothing concrete to show what we would have paid for. Big turn off. He bought out books an a laptop. Not good. So we kindly said no, and was not bothered by another guy in a polo for the rest of our stay. Although, it would have been tempting to just have your own golf cart like the V.I.P's. But, they didn't offer anything too spectacuIar that would have made us sign up. I wasn't a big fan of the constant walking and stair climbing, and there are no elevators. So, if you're not, then this place is not for you. Some of those hills can be pretty steep. And, since we came on Friday, we started to see a lot of the locals and their kids. Lots of kids. My only problem with this is if an adult approaches the bar, the kids should get out of the chairs. Not one parent did a thing. On another note, the beaches are beautiful, sans the seaweed. It would have been nice if they cleaned that up in the mornings, but still nice. And yes, security is everywhere in case somebody tries to sneak in. It was also not my intention to go to the Welcome Party. But, once I heard that they shut everything down (food with limited selection), we were pretty much forced to go. Now, we did get to the Sunday Welcome party late, but ladies I am forewarning you. The area is surrounded by gravel and loose rocks, so a low heel or no heels work great. All in all, it was nice and the food was good. However, when you leave, they have no one directing the passengers or shuttle busses. So its every man for himself! Seriously! And, its a long way back unless you live in V.I.P World. Luckily, for us we got the first shuttle. Right place, right time. And yes, make your reservations for dinner when you get there or you'll be waitlisted. It happened to me, but we were able to get into Brazil. So, out of the 30 plus tables in there, only 6 of them were filled. Waitlisted? Really? Now the excursions were awesome! The extreme adventures was great and I totally recommend it. But its not for the faint of heart. So go have fun. I'm glad I did it. And yes, it is strenuous in the beginning since you're walking up a mountain. And, bring watershoes with you. You can't do it barefoot. Safety reasons. The dune buggies was fun, but be forewarned, its a sales trap. They stop you at some crappy beach (waste of time) and then right before it ends, you stop at some hole in the wall where they try to sell you even more stuff. Not bad, but we thought we had some more time to ride, when we we're actually right around the corner from where we started. We could have just went straight there since they try to sell you some more with the video and pictures of your dune buggying. So, despite some of the negativity, I truly enjoyed my stay. The Confresi is a beautiful place. But, if you want that V.I. P. treatment off the bat, go sign up and get the extra perks. It's not worth the money, because I could do better price wise. Besides wherever we go, we feel like V.I.P regardless. Its just all about what you make your vacation.

3 Thank Tara J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,036)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I loved it! My only complaint is that I couldn't stay forever! All the staff were very, very nice and helpful and accommodating! I feel that i got way more than what i actually paid for!! The food was great, shuttle services were great even though wait was a littler longer when going to events but that's expected due to greater demand, the staff made me feel nothing was ever too much to ask for! The beach party on Sunday was amazing and grandiose! The landscaping of the facility was picturesque!! I love that they had filtered water available everywhere...in your room, the building hallways, bars!! I loved, loved, loved the staff...the facility...loved everything about it! Regardless of which area you were staying in, you were welcome to use the pools, bars and beaches of the other areas. They had security checkpoints all throughout which made me feel safe! If going all inclusive...remember the price you paid and you'll see that what you get out of Cofresi is wayyyy more than what you actually paid!!! Greetings to all the staff and thank you!!!

Crystal

• Stayed September 2012
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Crystal,

Its great to hear that we exceeded your expectations in service and facilities.
Reading your comment is very satisfying, knowing that our staff went on and beyond to met and exceed your needs.
We are very thankful that you took your time to write this comment and hope to host you very soon.

Best regards,
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I want to thank all those kind peoples in Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort. that makes my trip one of the best in last 5 years . reception like a king ,kind peoples every where smiling in your face,very polite peoples, your stuff is amazing ,24/7 food eat as much as you want no body care or limit you ,drink any thing as much as you want non stop drinking ,sunday world wide class party with unlimited stars level of food and drinks ,peoples serving us are most polite and happy peoples I saw in my life ,give them tips or not same quality of service and happiness,very high quality room,very clean more than 6 swimming pools ( I was a VIP guest but use it once or twice i enjoyed peoples near by building 41,made a lot of friends their ,
volley ball win more than one time with the canadian team,bar cocktail challenge entertainment i win one time in spit of i never did cocktail in my life .i really enjoyed this week that i spent ,all this is not every thing this resort have the most professional entertainment team i meet in my life ,start by donky going to Blaky pass by Banbbu ended by Sexy banana these are funny names of the team they are the most nice friendly team i meet in my life may god bless them. I am coming back soon but this time with my family as i want them to enjoy as i did unlimited food ,drinks ,fun ,happiness...what else we can ask for .thank you guys May god bless you and see you soon .
Dr Boutros

Room Tip: building 41 is just close to swimming pool ,bar ,food and all noon entertainment.main floor best one...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Dr Boutros,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time to write this review and we are glad that you had one of the best at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort.

We will make sure to congratulate our animation, food & beverage and housekeeping staff for making your vacation with us unforgettable

We can wait to host you again.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is not a professional review by any stretch of the imagination, however, I did want to take a moment to express what a great experience I had at the Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort. The food was great and the service was phenomenal. The entertainment crew (games, fitness activities, etc.) was great as well and very hospitable - affectionate shout-outs to Sexy Banana, Sexy Bamboo, Donkey and Blacky (these were the names they provided). We really had a blast!

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time to write this review and we are glad that you had a great experience at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort.

We will make sure to congratulate our food and beverage and animation staff for making your vacation great.

We hope to have you back very soon.

Respectfully,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Ill start by saying I bought the groupon for this all inclusive resort.

The Good:
- Pools and views are beautiful.
- Great rooms
- Access to VIP beach was great.
- Excursions. Make your reservations immediately, they fill up quick. The waterfalls was an amazing experience. Also other American guests told us the snorkeling VIP boat trip was awesome. Ocean world was great although you could probably see that in the US(Seaworld).

The Bad:
- Reservations for dinner. Was there at 9:05AM and didnt get a reservation. You really have to be all over them to get one. We ate at the dominican and brazialian. The Brazilian was great and the Dominican was OK. The buffets are garbage for dinner.
- Sickness I went with my GF and another couple and everyone got sick and is still feeling the effects of the poor food.
- People trying to sell you garbage novelities.
- Bring plenty of singles and fives. Nobody will give you change. Also the ATM's give Pesos. I got 3 different responses when I asked how much $100 is in pesos.
- Everyone expects to be tipped. The only ones that really deserved tips were the bartenders, waiters at the resturants and the people at the waterfalls trip who were awesome and guided through the cliffjumping.

- Book during the week. The locals flood this place on the weekends. Not the hotels fault just a tip.
- I didnt really have a problem with the VIP membership that they try to sell you. Walked though the real estate office and listened to there 20 min speil and said im not interested and we left.

I've heard from co workers that Punta Cana was a much better experience, so maybe try there. All in all I had a great time, but I wound up spending a ton of extra money in tipping and all the other activities

Room Tip: Make excursion reservations immediately. Be at guest services at 8:45 to make dinner reservations...
6 Thank anonymous8787
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was in Cofresi Palm Beach resort from 22-24 September 2012 at room 301131, and it was .... well i couldn’t find the word for describe it. i was in a normal room, maybe if you go to the new buldings like 40, 41, etc, you will get luckier than me. I am Dominican and i love to go on vacation on my free time, usually i always go to Bavaro but this time i want to tried Puerto Plata: Big mistake. The food was good, the only thing good but the resort was too full and the food run out fast and you had to make long lines to get the best.
My building 301, was next to I don´t know what and it always smell bat, like wastewater or something like that, very disgusting.
The Room: the worst, the bed you can feel the sprints of the bed and it was very thin and old, the tv was located in the worst location and you had to turn your head all the way to the right for watching it. it wasn’t in front of the bed, it was in the wall next to the bed,,,, The A/C almost didn´t work, I had to leave it on for the whole day for being fresh at night, not cool fresh, they have a ceiling fan that work but you can´t feel it, wind from the fan, not at all.
no mini bar, only water. no safe box, you have to paid for it.
The bathroom seems to be almost falling apart, starting with the ceiling and the tub and the window was broken if you open it, it will fall. The curtains of the bathroom was very dirty and look it haven´t been wash in a while and smell bad. they only put you 2 bath towels and one for the feet (we were 2 people), but they took it for wash it and you have to wait almost a day for get it back, for god sakes get some extra towels people, and they get back , they only give us 2 bath towels, nothing more.
In the Dominican republic we have very bad electric service but all the hotels got a automatic service for this problem and you don’t notice this problem, except this hotel, it seems that system was broken and between hours the light goes off for like 5 minutes, not too much time but very annoying specially at night when you have to use the bathroom.
Good stuff: food 24hours, good, greats pools, customer service good except fot the people in the lobby, they don’t tell a thing and you have to discovery everything for you. They must explain you everything, and give a map, they don’t.
Bad for people that don´t like or can’t walk too much, because of the location (little hills, that they made the hotel in, and for going to the lobby, pools, restaurants you will have to take some stairs) you will have to use a lot of stairs and they don’t have elevators.
Also the made a special party on Sunday’s great one, but it is far from the hotel and you have to take a bus to get there, and when they finished we must have to wait like 30 minutes and fight to get a sit to get to our hotel. The party was very organized but they forget to organize that part.
Please management, make improvement to the rooms urgent.

Room Tip: take newest one, building 40, 41, etc
4 Thank Amellm
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Overall our stay at this resort was great.. The room was nice and clean and other then us asking for 2 beds and them giving us one it was ok. Because of the language barrier we didnt bother trying to ask for one with 2 again. Be prepared if u dont speak spanish. The staff was over all good.. The resort has 3 sides i think and we stayed on cofresi the staff there was great! Especially bambu, donkey, blacky, and bananna! They made our stay so fun and special. As for the tropical side not so much some were ok and some were just strait up rude! Especially on waiter at the " blue lagoon" restaurant ( which is by far the worst rest) i dont remember his name but he actually got like super pissed off that we wanted to wait to order dinner after ordering our appetizer. Tropical is the vip side and idk if they r just more prissy over there or what but we had vip braclets and for most of our stay we stayed on the cofresi side. The resort is weird because its divided into 3 classes.. And u have to wear a bracelet as to which catagory u fall under. Idk i never heard of that until we got there. As for food.... Thats one majjjjor down side.. One decent rest is the italian one and the dominican one. The buffet was oook.. Anything else i couldnt even choke down. My stomach has been messed up since i got back ugh. We did go into town and despite what the resort tells u u can go with someone u trust u dont have to go with them. And we went horse back riding which was beautiful.. They have some water activities at the resort which were well priced and fun like parasailing and tubing.. All and all the vacation was great :)

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank ilona h
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your time to write this review and we are glad that you had a Relaxing and Fun time at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa resort.
We apologize that you got one bed when you requested two, but I’m shore that it was a misunderstanding and if you should had explained the situation they would have understood, as our entire front desk and guest service staff speaks English.
We are happy to hear that in general our staff was great, and we will make sure to congratulate our animation staff for making your stay fun and especial.
We must say that the level of satisfaction obtained concerning the quality and variety of food and drinks has always been very elevated according to the opinions reflected in our satisfaction questionnaires.
Besides, the selection of products that compose our gastronomically supply is done taking into consideration the diversity of the guests who visit us.
We sincerely regret that the quality of the food and beverages offered in our Hotel have not met your expectations after all.
We appreciate your observations which are treated with the utmost interest since we believe that this is the best way to know what specific points we must focus our attention to improve in all aspects.
We hope to have you back very soon.

Best regards,