“Great time with the girls!!!!!!!”

Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The girls and I were very hesitate about our stay here after reading the previous reviews. But, it was excellent; starting from the Welcoming Gala on Sunday (when we arrived) that included fireworks at the end of the show. We were off to a good start.... Monday we had breakfast then we were headed for the sales pitch.....which really wasn't a hard sell at all.

If you do not want membership get up and go. We had a blast!! Yes, I did become a member but that is because I wanted to and they moved us to a Villa that day that included a chef for breakfast, daily. Loved it.......the staff were very accommodating, efficient and went out of their way to see that your needs are met even exceeded in some areas (they even picked fruit daily and left for us).

We went on the Extreme Waterfall, Zip line and horseback riding (handsome Eddie and his staff were great) one day; unfortunately we were to ill to go to dinner that night (we were just not used to that strenuous of a workout! lol) anyhow they had dinner sent to us. Now that is going way and beyond. Chef Jose was truly professional and excellent at his craft. Chef Kelvin provided the best BBQ. Bravo.

I have already planned another trip with family in two months......but, I need to make reservations first before I get giddy. By the way I can understand the complaints and I even know why.....you get what you pay for. I have recommended this resort to all of my friends and will continue too.

Happy in Atl USA
Tracey

Room Tip: Try to get a room in Bldg 40-42. If you purchase in go for the Villa if you can swing it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear Tracey,

Its great to hear that we exceeded your expectations from day one and on and that you got to experience our excellent VIP service.
Reading your comment is very satisfying, knowing that our staff went on and beyond to met and exceed your needs.
We are very thankful that you took your time to write this comment and that you recommend us to your friends.
Hope to see you back very soon.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

this resort was good the service was great if you go to this place dont go only for two days cause theres a lot of things do in this place. the was soso i didn't like it as much but rest was great. the disco is exelent.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank MARDALENA

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write this review and for the advises, which can be really help full for other future guests.
We are glad to hear that we met your expectations.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is the first trip that me and my boyfriend and some friends went to. I had very little expectations comming into this place, but my opinion changed throughout the trip. We had such good customer service. We always felt welcome. The biggest downfall is that there were soooo many stairs. This resort was huge. there were shuttles that took you to different parts but it was still an amazing experience. The welcome party was so much fun, dinner under the stars with palm trees and entertainment. The resort had many people that helped us and keeps us amused for the week and one of them was Blacky... SEXY B. he was so much fun to be around. he played games with us, teached us how to merenge. he was simply amazing. He made us feel at home. Also my group and I did an excursion called the RUNNERS. we had the best time. you got to travel outside the resort and you see how people live and how they make cigars. we went to visit a school, and some of the proceeds we paids helps fund the school. We went horse back riding along the beach and they made us a good lunch on the beach. This was an excursion for the day. and it was worth every penny. It makes you appreciate everything you have. Overall, this trip was amazing. we had a great time.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write this review and we want to express how happy we are that you had a “Great experience” at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort.
We are very pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations with our costumer service.
It’s true as you mention that our resort has a lot of stairs, it’s how the hotel was constructed and this is why we implemented our very effective shuttle route service.
We will make sure to congratulate Sexy Blacky for making you have a fun time and for making you fell at home.
On behalf of the Lifestyle family, I say that we hope to have you back very soon.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I purchased this vacation through Expedia Groupon as a last minute deal, which ended up turning into a last minute honeymoon. I am the type of person who does my reasearch and reads all the fine print. My husband and I found out about the VIP Lifestyles Vacation Club. We were very interested from day one. This is the type of thing that we like, however we could not find any in depth information online.
Traveling with Westjet, we did not have to pay the visitors entrance because they provide you with the tickets on the airplane. I already knew that we had to find our own taxi from the airport to the resort. Reviews and sites that I had visited earlier told me that it should not cost more than $50. We paid $45 total for the 40 minute drive. The driver was very informative and he pointed out all the various plantations and sites as we drove.
Now the first resort we started at was not the one we ended with. The first one was The Crown Residence Suites. When we arrived at the counter Rosa and Juan Louise greeted us with exceptional attitudes and friendliness. Unfortunately I forgot to print off my groupon email before we left, we had a last minute wedding at the airport before we flew out and needless to say I may have forgotten a few things. This was not a problem, Rosa took us into her office and let us use her computer. *One thing I think should be mentioned is if you do travel with groupon expedia, find out everything that you possibly can before your trip, because groupon does not have representatives at the resort to help you out. We did feel like we were going into this blind.
After we checked in we were introduced to the bell hop, who we refer to as the "gem of our resort" Andy Arias. Andy greeted us with a HUGE smile and his attitude was amazing. He has tried very hard in the last year to learn english (self taught may I add) and while it is broken I feel we understood eachother very well. Andy took us into our room and he proceeded to check the functionality of everything. The phone, fan, air conditioning, lights, etc. Everytime we saw Andy after this we were greeted with hugs, high fives, and a brilliant smile. For those of you with doubtful minds, let me put you to ease...we did NOT tip Andy once!! This is just who he is.
The first day we spent walking around the resort. We didn't have to since there was shuttle service everywhere, we just wanted to get a sense of direction.
A VIP representative named David Rocco took us on a tour around the resort, we saw the private beaches and all the different locations. He was an excellent source of information. Our vacation would not have been the same without him. We chose to purchase a trial membership because of the money that you save at resorts all around the world. We weren't the only ones. Most of the people we met who came the same day as us also chose to purchase. If you are taken on this private tour, I encourage you to request David Rocco. We were given more information than anyone else who we knew that bought. I was being asked for more information about the VIP lol. I don't know, maybe I just asked the right questions. If the VIP isn't your cup of tea, no need to worry. Just be honest with them and enjoy the rest of your time. We did not find one person who experienced pressure, and we did ask around.
A few days in we were given the option to move to the Confresi Palm beach resort. The reason to do so was because we had other friends we had met staying there. We only wished that we could have brought Andy with us. This resort was beautiful! We were given a room in building 41 on the 3rd floor that over looked the ocean and the pool. At night we slept with the door open so we could hear the waves.
The best part about VIP was the Serenity Beach. We loved waking up in the morning, going for breakfast, and then meeting friends on the private beach where we could enjoy the most delicious crepes. Take a swim in the warm ocean and return to the beach for an afternoon siesta on one of the many beach side beds or hammocks.
Ocean World was amazing. We went snorkeling and got to swim beside the tigers (with a glass wall between of course). The rain forest was also amazing. You go into the love birds sanctuary and a gentlemen gives you seeds and calls the birds and they come from every direction. Landing on your head and your arms. We loved it.
Another spectacular part of the vacation was the VIP party that was also deemed our wedding reception by all of our friends there. We danced on stage, and laughed all night. The servers were even joining in and teaching us to merengue. Our group was the last group there.
Over all we found the resort to be amazing. Shuttle service picks you up anywhere and everywhere and will even drop you right outside the door of your suite if it's possible. The communication between resorts was amazing, we didn't have to correct the room number on any of our reservations. It was all taken care of for us. Every morning we were called at 9am for reservation requests and asked if we needed anything at all. If a shuttle wasn't available outside when we stepped out someone (security or maintenance) immediately called for one. We really were pampered. It was a truely amazing experience. The maids made our bed different every morning and decorated with flowers.
The only suggestions I have to make the experience better are 1. The food could be better at some of the spots (Casablanca and Harmony beach for sure). I found that many of the deep fried foods were nearly raw on the inside. Jazz was delicious, and even Blue Lagoon and Gourmet were pretty good. 2. While walking to the lobby from building 41 we did notice a sewer smell.
My husband and I did experience travelers diarrhea, as did many of the guests we talked to. It could be from the change of diet, it could be the water, the preperation of food, the alcohol, and the sun all mixed together, hell it could have been from us not taking the proper precations while traveling to a lesser developed country I don't know. It wasn't anything that would ever stop us from visiting that lovely resort again, but I do think it should be addressed promptly.

On a side note I read the reviews on trip advisor. My husband and I tend to not take these things seriously since some people can be impossible to please. I do have to comment on some of the negative reviews. I noticed one person wrote that "the food seemed to be catered to locals", while another wrote that "during their stay the resort was invaded by locals"....Really? Come on people! You are going to another country, you expect there not to local food or locals at these places? That seems to be a really arrogant and closed minded way to look at things. If you don't like stepping out of your comfort zone and experiencing other countries and societies, then don't leave your country.
Sincerely a very satisfied Kaleah & Jonny Gibson from Martensville, Saskatchewan in Canada.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank KaleahP83

Dear Mrs. Gibson,

It’s fantastic to read such a sincere review as yours and it’s wonderful to hear that you had such a great time at our resort.
We will make sure to congratulate all the staff that you mentioned, that helped to inform you and to enjoy your vacation.
Its really rewarding for us to hear that our staff members and our facilities exceeded your expectations.
We are also very thankful for your recommendations on the points of what we can improve and I promise you that we take this very seriously.
In the name of all the Lifestyle family: we hope to have you back very soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

the resort is huge...it was like a city on its own. Me and my boyfriend went the first week of September. We booked with nolitours, they do not advise u of alot of things. lots of walking which was ok for us and there are shuttles that can bring u around for free to different parts of the resort. The al la carte restaurants were better then the buffets for sure. There is alot of pool areas for everyone. There are always things to do games , contests, showes, and altho it was slow season the nite life was good ...theres clubs and bars...And there was a great welcome party...over all nice resort and nice people. I have to give alot of thanks to one memeber in particular he was part of the animation team....mr. sexy blacky...he was with us all week getting us good deals and making our stay a blast...keep in mind everyone wants a tip from servers porters shuttles everyone....we tipped at the al la carts but no the buffets and some times the drivers for the shuttles...we are not rich so we just couldnt tip everyone as there a sooooo many workers...tips to avoid getting the runs anywhere u go in the D.R dont eat or drink any milky stuff pina coladas or white pasta sauces ....

Room Tip: i would get vip well worth it
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are really happy to hear that you had a great time at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort.
As you mention on your comment we are a very big resort and at Cofresi Pam we have a lot of stairs, but as you also mentioned, we have a very effective Shuttle Route service, which take you where ever you need to go.
Thank you for the good comments regarding our staff, which is our most important and valuable resort, we will make sure to congratulate them.
We hope to have you back with us very soon and thank you for taking your time to write this comment.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just returned from a relaxing vacation in Puerta Plata. It was great! Actually stayed at The Tropical but had access to the Cofresi Palm Beach Resort and all of its amenities. The beaches were beautiful. We had the privilege of eating at the Rodizio with its delicious Brazilian food and enjoyed the classy atmosphere as well as the helpfulness of the head waiter who gave us his expert dining advise. Porfirio at the Indian restaurant made us feel like royalty, not only with the special spread of food he prepared especillay for us, but also his caring and helpful demeanor.
The Animation Team went out of their way to keep us on our toes active at all times. We enjoyed the shows as well as all of the activities they so carefully planned. Donkey, Bamboo, Blackie and Spaghetti, and Sexy Banana really made it special and memorable!
Doreen From Franklin Square, NY

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Doreen T

Dear Guest,

We are really happy to hear that you experienced a “Vacation to remember” at our resort.
Its very rewarding for us to hear that you liked our a la carte restaurants and the service provided by or food & beverage staff, we will make sure to congratulate them for it.
We will also make sure to congratulate our animation team for making you have a good time and for the wonderful shows that they provide.
We Wish to have you back very soon, and if you do please do not hesitate to contact us, prior to your arrival.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was an amazing stay, for a great deal! The beaches, pools, restaurants, and our room were all clean and nice. The service was great, though at times neared hovering status -- but that may have been due to the resort not being too full. As a vegetarian, I was worried when looking at the menus at the VIP restaurants we had reservations at, but as soon as I mentioned being vegetarian, they modified dishes to accommodate -- and they were delicious! Our stay could have been improved in the following ways:
- being informed as to when important places closed upon check-in (like the towel stand, buffet lunch/dinner place, beaches, pools). We went to go take a nap, and got back too late to get towels
- being given a map, or a tour upon check-in. We got a tour and map the next day, but by then we had already gotten lost a few times and figured it out.
- being informed as to which excursions were available, and when. We heard about the zip'n'splash excursion, and would have done it -- but missed it by a day.

In all though, if we had been given a packet of information either beforehand or upon check-in, the experience would have gone smoother. Buuuut, it was a wonderful experience nonetheless. The adults only pool and Serenity Beach were definitely my favorite places, and the music for the shows was great to listen to when sitting poolside at night looking at the stars. Definitely would recommend!

Room Tip: Junior suites are great -- but look out for possible construction around your room --- we had constr...
2  Thank Cait M
managementteam55, Manager at Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Dear Guest,

Your comments and recommendations are very important for us, they are also a very useful tool for us to improve our product and therefore we thank you for taking your time to write this review.
Usually at the check in, our receptionists provide information regarding the services and also a map in the check in envelope, it seems that in your case they did not follow the procedures that are established, and we apologize for this.
Regarding the excursions, the hotel does not directly manage this, but the representative of each tour operator provides the information and is the ones to sell the excursion, but it’s true that they should have informed you where to find these representatives and informed you how it works.
We are very happy to hear that you recommend us and that you had a wonderful experience.

Teresa Pont